Stagnant

Stagnant

 

 An eerie silence filled the abyss between the couple. The constant ticking of the clock reminded them of their short time together.

 "I think we should just go our separate ways from now on."

 Her sullen voice echoed through his mind. She abruptly stood up, pacing towards the door without another word passing her cold lips.

 

 It only went downhill from there. Ravi was struggling in school, his father in hospital and his poor mother was forced to work multiple shifts a day in order to get food  on the table for a family of four. His sister, though old enough to move out, stayed so she could avoid the intimidating rent bills. Ravi had been left alone in the once-cozy house - dawn until dusk, day after day.

 

 The prior year, Ravi had been receiving mediocre scores, adequate to him to pass all the classes. But lately, due to work and other commitments, his grades were slowly slipping. His so-called friends taunted him and laughed - they knew they would be able to graduate with or without him there by their side.

 

 The day he heard the new transfer student would be arriving, his warm family home was flooded in a freak storm. He swore he heard his mother's weeping in the dark of the night. He turned over in his bed, heart aching as his mother's cries never ceased.

 

 The day he was supposed to walk home, the heavens opened up as rain pelt the ground like bullets fired at a cowering target. He spotted the transfer student, who was pointed at several times at school for all the wrong reasons, not too far away from him. His dull eyes didn't waver as he caught Ravi's eyes. The rumors rang in his head, louder with each subtle step the transfer student took towards him. In under twenty-four hours, he had heard so many rumors - they couldn't all be true, right? Being expelled from one of the most prestigious schools in the country? He looked fairly harmless to him - but one can never be too sure. The raven-head was a few meters in front of him when his eyes faltered.
"Jom sallyeojuseyo," his strained voice whispered, words trembling off his quivering lips.
He earned a frown.
"Speak English, dickhead," Ravi scoffed.
Some foreign feeling clawed at his stomach as he stalked off, leaving those three cold words, a shocked expression and a wave of curiosity.

 

 The music room, detached from the main cluster of school buildings, became his home for the hour break at lunchtime. He watched the endeavouring musicians set up, sometimes helping them when they needed an extra hand. That's how he met his first best friend. His voice was soft and his eyes were sharp - his name was Leo.
"I love the rain," he spoke into the transparent sheet of glass on a gloomy afternoon.
"I prefer the sun. Unlike you, I won't burn in the light."
Leo's reply was only a light chuckle.
"Have you met the transfer student, yet?"

 

 The week before his exams, he buried himself in piles of textbooks in a large corner of the school library. The faint smell of old books worn by time and morning showers combined with each other. Ravi thought he would dread the colder months of winter, but the rain was somewhat comforting and calming.
"D-do you need help?" a shaky voice rose above the quiet chatter in his ears.
Opening his mouth to dismiss him, he realized he probably wouldn't mind some assistance. The weird feeling dwelling in his stomach resurfaced as the glanced in those dark nervous orbs. Maybe he did need help.

 

 Things were starting to fall into place when the news of his father's recovery made it to his ears. His mother could focus on one job for the time being as their financial problems ebbed away. Smiles painted themselves on the family's proud faces when the school report was sent home. Even Ravi was surprised when managed to get a score higher than a 'C'. His sister joked that it must have been a mistake in the lettering.

 

 Things started to go downhill again on the last week of school before the holidays. He hummed a familiar tune on his daily journey to school in the morning. In the corner of his eye, he could see a gathering of a couple of people under a shady patch of trees just outside the school. His eyes caught the figure in the center. His feet betrayed him as time stood still. He remembered those ever so haunting eyes. He simply couldn't process the next few moments, his eyes only locking onto the deep blue blotches on his tanned skin and dark crimson blanketing them. Ravi attempted to raise his legs, but they stayed firmly on the ground. He couldn't intervene, only watch. He could only watch the pleading eyes fade from afar.

 

 The afternoon of a guilt-driven day pushed him over the edge. Anger boiled within him - burning him from the inside. Washing down the fury with a glass of water somewhat successfully, he seated on the office chair in front of the computer. He was beyond bored for the umpteenth time that week. Letting his fingers dance on the keyboard, he found an online dictionary. Recalling the syllables the ebony haired whispered several days ago, he typed in what he remembered. He waited in what seemed to be anticipation as he clicked the 'search' button. He didn't register the crash beside his ear or the feel of water seeping into his clothes. Anger gripping him a second time, he mouthed the words displayed on the screen involuntarily, hating the sound he made.
"Please save me."

 

 The day he heard the weeping of an angel, Ravi knew he had fallen in love. His mind told him it was wrong but his heart reassured him that it was alright. He tried to pacify the crying boy by wrapping a tentative arm around him but it only made him sob harder.
In an almost incoherent voice he wailed, "I'm so worthless," and "Maybe it's better if I just die."
Ravi held his breath. Words of denial were barricaded in his throat. Draping his other arm over his shoulder, he allowed his shirt to become moist with tears. A placid silence settled over them until the blunt school bell dismantled it.

 

 An hour before the holidays officially began Leo knew everything.
"Hakyeon? He's the transfer student, right?"
Ravi nodded, swallowing the saliva pooling in his mouth, "so what should I do?"
"You sound like a whiny little girl," Leo laughed.
His playfulness melted when his glare shot through him.
"Do what you think is right."
"But I feel conflicted..."
He paused, "Then listen to what your heart says."

 

 The night a scream tore through the stilled air was a restless white night. The trees, dusted with flakes of immaculacy, stood stationary in the chilly draft. Ashen clouds loomed overhead, waiting for their time to strike. Pitch black consumed Ravi's bedroom, retreating at the base of the window sill. The room adjacent to his on the other side of the fence blinked awake. Light suddenly infiltrated his room uninvited. Muffled shouts soared into ear-shot, their incongruent tones battling for volume. He saw a tall middle-aged man stare with detest at a shorter figure in the room who had his back to him. Ravi covered his ears and tossed himself in the opposite direction. Heaving a sigh, he shut out the brightness surrounding him. A clamorous crash and an ear-splitting scream stopped his heart's rapid paces. Afraid to glance back, he confirmed his fears.
"Hakyeon?"

 

 Almost inaudible knocks at the front door wakened up the house. The sun peeked over the horizon at the start of a brand new day.
"Can I please stay here for a couple days?" the voice instantly caught Ravi's attention.
Pushing his sister out of the way, he greeted the boy with an innocent smile, "Of course you can! Be my guest."
Hakyeon beamed back and Ravi thought he was beautiful.

 

 The music room became the home for another person for the hour break at lunch time.
"Guys," Leo called, "I want you meet my girlfriend Kay."
"Hi Ravi," she coldly greeted.
He waved back awkwardly, unsure of how to respond to her heinous tone or sudden appearance.
"Why don't you have a girlfriend?" Hakyeon turned towards Ravi, "I would've thought you had one."
A smile tugged at his lips, "I'm not interested in any girls."
"Oh, okay the-"
"Since you're not a girl."

 

 Perhaps the sweetest moment Ravi experienced was the time he and Hakyeon shared their first kiss in front of the roaring fireplace of his family home. Though the world continued to turn on its axis, their own world was held up in the warmth of the blazing fire. Saccharine lips gradually departed from his, bringing the real world back into focus. A tender 'I love you' spilled from his lips. His eyes were tore from that breathtaking smile when he heard a faked cough. He saw his sister's mischievous eyes. His father tensed his jaw, sternness washing over him like smoke from a raging bushfire. Wordlessly, he exiled the newly formed couple out the house. Not a single word was uttered, instead emotions spoke for them.

 

 The couple ran hand-in-hand, giggling uncontrolled as their feet lead them to a nearby forgotten beach. An abandoned shack stood proudly in the pale yellow sea of sand. The moonlight shone down shone on their smiling faces as they collapsed under their weight on the floor of the deserted cabin. Sleep descended upon them as the crashing waves crooned them into a deep slumber.

 

 The day Ravi, if he could, regret the most arrived with storm clouds gathering over the horizon.
"Have you ever felt the sea breeze ruffle through your hair?" Hakyeon questioned by his side, "It's quite an experience."
When his eyes caught the sight of blue under his arm, it all made sense. Forcing a smile, he nodded. He watched the rolling waves tower over him as they approached. He followed the enthusiastic boy, finding himself far out at sea on a lousy piece of plastic. Hakyeon's smile did nothing to settle his racing heartbeat. The first wave advanced a little too quickly for his liking. Hakyeon could see the victory displayed on his face just after the wave had passed.
"Let's see how you go on the next one, hm?" he suggested playfully, pointing to a larger wave.
Turning back around, Hakyeon embraced the cool salty breeze brushing against him. Laughter flowed from him, leaving time unmeasured. The second wave died down and silence fell. Something wasn't right. Glancing back, his vision was invaded by deep blue. A lonely board stood out, owner-less. Trembles overtook his usually sturdy arms, tossing himself in all directions. He was too far out to see anything but empty sapphire blue. Forgetting to take a deep breath, he dived below the surface. He scanned the blurry waters for a trace of the missing piece of his puzzle. His lungs felt as empty as the surface of the ocean when he spotted the familiar patch of red fabric floating in the current. He stared at his closed eyelids, waiting for them to open. They never did. Hakyeon forgot about the past, forgot about the present and forgot how to breathe. His exhausted form drifted down in Ravi's opened arms to lay for the rest of eternity in his embrace.

 


A/N: I wrote this pretty late at night so forgive me for any mistakes... I may or may not write a prequel/sequel to this. I'm still deciding. Please leave a comment~! It's much appreciated.