Chapter 3

Love, Eventually

 

“Hey Romeo, pass me the ball!” said Namjoon to Yoongi who was lying sideway on the bleacher with one hand supporting his head and the other holding a history textbook. He was in the middle of doing extra homework the teacher gave him.

Taehyung and Jimin started to laugh upon hearing the name Namjoon was calling him with. Yoongi threw the two younger boys a death glare as he halfheartedly got up to pick up the basket ball and aim it towards Namjoon, “Shut up, guys.” Jungkook cut off his passing and ran towards the ring, trying to do a layup shoot. “Hyung, I think it’s cool,” he said while catching the ball that was bouncing back from the board, glancing towards Yoongi.

“Yah, brat!” Namjoon protested at the maknae and pointed a finger at him. He chased him and tried to steal the ball from his hand. Jungkook’s teammate, Jimin, resumed on his position guarding Taehyung, who was Namjoon’s teammate. Jungkook advanced towards the ring once again, surpassing Namjoon easily, and dunked the ball. He threw his fists in the air and high-fived Jimin.

“Whoa Jeon Jungkook, this kid really. That’s not even valid!” Namjoon clutched his chest as he tried to catch his breath. Jungkook just chuckled when Namjoon jokingly head-locked him with his arm. The quartet then walked towards the bleacher to grab their drinks and sit beside Yoongi.

“How do you even manage to get the role, hyung? Last time I remember you almost died from throwing up after running two hundred laps because you slept in her class,” Jimin gulped down his mineral water while he wiped the sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand, “She doesn’t like you.”

Yoongi didn’t respond to him as he was dozing off, looking towards the track field across the basketball court. The rest of the boys followed his direction to see what he was looking at. And there they saw Kim Jongin, running on the inner line and jumping over the hurdles of the track field. But he wasn’t the one he was staring at.

Then they spotted a girl standing on the edge of the field near the finish line, holding a bottle of water and a hand towel. Minji approached Jongin after he passed the line, handing him the water bottle and patted the dripping sweats on his face with the towel. She held a thumb up as he showed him her watch, telling him his record. Jongin nodded and started to run for another laps.

The boys were looking at each other knowingly. A mischievous grin appeared on Namjoon’s mouth as he saw Yoongi awkwardly trying to smile back at her, flashing his gum, when their eyes met. 

“Oh man did you see that?!” Namjoon exclaimed. Jimin and Jungkook were nodding frantically while trying to suppress their laughter. Taehyung on the other hand, was on the ground, holding his stomach, because he couldn’t stand the cringe-worthy smile his hyung was pulling. Yoongi just scorned at his comrades and continued to put his attention on the book.

“Wow you two friend now, hyung?” asked Jungkook, rather surprised. “You’re making your move already? Brave, really brave, Min Yoongi,” Namjoon shook his head while applauding his friend.

“But isn’t that runner guy her boyfriend, hyung? Wouldn’t it make you like… a relationship-wrecker?!” Jimin exclaimed.

Yoongi sighed, rather in annoyance, “Guys, I don’t like her that way, okay. We just coincidentally took the same bus couple of days ago and she’s my co-actress for the play, so yeah we kind of know each other. I was just being sociable smiling back at her because she recognizes me from afar, so shut the heck up,” he hissed, defending himself from the accusing look his friends were giving him.

“She plays Juliet?!” Namjoon’s voice went high pitched as he was a little astounded by hearing the fact from Yoongi’s mouth, “Man, isn’t it fate or what?” The rest of the guys nodded their heads, seconding him. Yoongi looked around his friends with disdain, “Fate? Ew guys, seriously.”

He got up to gather his books and swung the backpack around his shoulder. Taehyung looked up and felt slightly disappointed, “Aye hyung, leaving already? But we haven’t had our 3-on-3 match with Hoseok hyung.”

“Sorry guys I can’t wait any longer, gotta finish this damn homework,” he shrugged and gave the boys his apologetic look. Jimin then got up and followed him, “Ah hyung I’ll go with you then. My mom will be back early today so I should be home soon. Sorry too guys!”

The two waved their hands and walked out towards the school gate. The drenched-in-sweat trio just weakly waved back in disappointment. “Aissh Hoseok hyung really, what took him so long?” Jungkook wondered.

“He pissed off the teacher by coming in late again today. That lazy bum needs a huge alarm clock to wake him up every morning.”

Jungkook and Taehyung shook their heads together, not a bit surprised. The sleepyhead’s habit was a well known between his comrades. “Or maybe he just needs a girlfriend to wakeup-call him every day,” Taehyung joked which responded with a mocking-laughter by Namjoon and Jungkook.

“By the way,” Jungkook said after he stopped laughing, “Speaking about girls. I never thought Yoongi hyung would have an interaction with one. Let alone make friends with them. What is up with Yoongi hyung and that girl actually?”

“Yeah, it surprised me too at first when he asked me about Minji. I think he’s in denial though, I mean it was so unusual of him to take interest on a girl at our school and he was kind of obvious. Poor guy doesn’t realize his own feeling.”

“Yet,” Taehyung added, “Or maybe he’s really telling us the truth. We should wait to see how things work out between them, and hope he’s not gonna get into trouble with that runner guy,” he bobbed his head towards the track field, meaning for Jongin. The rest of the two hummed, agreeing to him.

Namjoon sighed and got up while patting the two younger boys’ shoulder, “It’s getting late guys, let’s just pick Hoseok up at the library and go home.”

When the sky was getting darker that afternoon, Minji was still patiently waiting for Jongin to finish practicing. She sat on the bleacher while keeping her eye fixated on his running figure, watching his expression. His gaze was determined, and focused only at the obstacles in front of him. His pace was steady at first and picking up at last before he dashed towards the finish line.

Jongin went straight to the bleacher after he passed the line with ragged breath. He laid down and placed his head on Minji’s lap as he grabbed the towel from Minji’s hand to pat the sweat on his face. “You worked really hard today,” Minji smiled while gently running her fingers through his damped hair, removing the strands that were blocking his face. Jongin face-palmed himself and sighed, “My record’s still not good enough.”

“You still have three weeks more to practice,” Minji soothed him, “You’re gonna do great at the tryout.”

He weakly smiled and sat up to grab his drink from inside his bag. Minji looked down on her watch to see it was only ten minutes away before the last bus to her home took off.

“Jongin, I’m sorry I gotta go now. I need to catch my bus.”

He finishes his drink and looked towards Minji as she got up and packed her bags, “Oh I’ll just drive you home then.”

“But it’ll cause you so much trouble since my house is the opposite direction of yours.”

Jongin grabbed his bag and fished out his bike key, “Stop thinking like that, Min. It won’t, okay? Let’s go.”

He stood up to wear his varsity over his shirt, picking up his bag along the way, and walked ahead. Realizing Minji wasn’t following beside him, he stopped in his track and turned around to see Minji who was still standing on her position. “Min,” he called for her and it caught her off guard, “Come on.” She snapped from her thoughts and hesitantly walked to catch up with him.

None to his knowing that Minji was actually having a conflicting mind when he insisted taking her home. She thought she could avoid spending a longer time with Jongin without having him asking about the bracelet again. But with Jongin’s nature, she knew she couldn’t refuse his insistency. She was thinking hard about the best defending answer when the question brought up later by him. Minji slipped her left hand inside her pocket purposely hiding it from Jongin’s sight and grabbed his hand with her other hand, intertwining their fingers.

The ride to her home was silent. Jongin had to drop her off at the bus stop because the road was blocked due to a reconstruction. “Are you sure it’s really okay?” Jongin asked her with concern.

“It’s fine, my house is not far from here. Take care on your way home,” she smiled to reassure him and leaned closer to give him a hug before Jongin made a u-turn and drove off.

Minji watched Jongin until he disappeared at the corner of the street, not realizing that someone was walking towards the bus stop. She turned to the person’s direction and saw Yoongi standing before her with both hands inside his pocket and widened eyes, flabbergasted.

“Oh hello, you just got home as well?”

Yoongi pulled a little smile and hummed answering her question, “I had to walk from the previous bus stop, the usual bus changes its route because of the reconstruction.” She nodded, “Ah I see.”

The silence that came after irks him. He was feeling annoyed for unknown reason, uncomfortable, awkward, and nervous all at the same time. He was certainly sure those feelings came up a while ago when he witnessed Minji and Jongin hugging each other, but he wasn’t sure why. Every time he saw the two together it sparked something off inside of him.

The awkward atmosphere was killing him until Minji decided to break the silence, “Um do you want to walk home together? Where do you live by the way?”

Yoongi was taken aback at her offer, “At the apartment complex down this street. But actually…” he paused to think about the answer, “… I need to go to the convenient store to buy some things first.”

‘Min Yoongi, you babo. What the hell are you saying?’ he said inwardly. He was planning to go straight home and do his homework, but maybe it was all because of the awkwardness and the nervousness that he lied to save himself from further uncomfortable situations.

He watched her expression as disappointment appeared on her face, “I understand. I guess, I’ll see you tomorrow,” she smiled and waved at him before turning around to leave first.

Yoongi heaved a long sigh, releasing the breath he didn’t know he was holding while talking to her. “What is really happening to you, Min Yoongi?” he mumbled to himself as he watched her back walking away, getting farther each time.

He was about to turn and leave until he heard the soft voice of Minji calling for his name.

“Yoongi, what do you think of us practicing our lines together tomorrow after school?”

“O.. okay, I guess.”

Her expression brightened up, “I’ll see you tomorrow at the auditorium then.”

A smile unconsciously started to creep its way on his lips as he felt excitement rushing in. He sure knew how he’d anticipate tomorrow so much after this.

---

The lunch break was over five minutes ago, and Yoongi still leisurely enjoyed the warm weather on the rooftop, lying on his back with his left arm as a pillow. He just woke up from his slumber awhile ago with grumbling stomach and realized he had been sleeping since the fourth period when he came up to the rooftop. He was staying up really late to finish the homework and feeling ultimately sleep deprived the next morning. He knew the troubles that would come up from his absence in class, but he decided to just deal with it later. His right hand sneaked inside his pocket to pull out a silver bracelet, bringing it closer and letting it dangling in front of his face.

Footsteps were faintly heard coming from the stairs, and they were getting clear as the person was coming closer. The door was pushed open and Yoongi turned his head to see who the person was.

“Dude, I’ve been looking for you. You missed lunch,” Namjoon walked towards Yoongi to sit beside him and threw a foil-wrapped sandwich on top of his belly.

“Yeah, I fell asleep since the fourth period. Thanks anyway,” Yoongi sat up, straightening himself to dig in the food his best friend had brought him. Namjoon saw the shiny little stuff that was wrapped around his fingers, “What’s that? You’re into collecting girly accessories now?” asked Namjoon while pointing at it.

“What? Oh this. It’s Minji’s, not mine,” Yoongi said casually before taking a mouthful bite of the sandwich.

Namjoon arched his brows, “Huh? Why did you have it? You’re not stealing from her right?” Yoongi smacked the back of his head with his sandwich-free hand, “Of course not, stupid . It accidently got stuck on my sleeves when we were sitting beside each other in the bus that time.”

He lowly groaned as Yoongi continued to take another bite, “It looks expensive though. Doesn’t it important to her?”

Yoongi shrugged, chewing on the food and gulping it down before answering his question, “She doesn’t know that I have it.”

“Huh? She must be looking for it then! What are you doing keeping it hostage?”            

Because I like to stare at it once in a while?’ Yoongi thought, not voicing it out loud to his friend because he might think of him as a creep. “I didn’t know what to say when I give it back to her. I’ll give it later today, promise.”

Namjoon watched his friend closely as he continued to eat his lunch in silent. Then the two went back to their respective classes’ right after he finished the last bite of his sandwich. Using his pale complexion as an excuse, Yoongi told the teacher that he was feeling unwell to escape his punishment. As for Namjoon, he was just lucky that the teacher hadn’t yet come to his class.

Yoongi’s heart lit up the moment the last period bell rang. He stuffed the books inside his bag and walked out of the class to go to the auditorium straight away. He pulled out his scenario and practiced for his lines a little bit along the way.

He took the last turn before reaching the auditorium, only to find two familiar faces standing in front of each other at the hallway. He stepped back to hide himself at the corner.

On the other hand, Minji was panicking because Jongin finally found out that she had lost her bracelet. He overheard the conversation she had with Dara earlier and his expression had changed ever since. He was obviously mad. Minji’s body was slowly taken over by fear when he didn’t say anything and just stared into her eyes with stern gaze.

“Jongin, I’m really sorry,” her voice was weak and a bit shaky.

He grabbed her wrist and raised it up, “How could you lose it?!”

She winced in pain because of his tight grip. “You should have taken care of it better, Min.”

“Jongin, it hurts,” she tried to pull back but her strength was no match to his. “Let go, please.”

“Doesn’t it mean anything to you? You should have taken care of it!” he unconsciously tried to slap her, but middle way he recouped and stopped. His hand was hanging in the air. Jongin balled his fist and looked into her welled-up teary eyes.

Minji was taken aback. She closed her eyes preparing for the worst, but she didn't feel anything. She opened her eyes to see his hardened expression. A single tear escaped her eyes which she immediately erased, despite the blurry vision she had.

Yoongi was gripping to her bracelet inside his pocket tightly while watching the scene before him. He was beyond pissed off to see Jongin did such thing. He stepped out of the shadow and coughed to get the couple attention.

“Uh.. Hi Minji, you said you wanted to practice our lines together?”

“Yes,” she responded weakly with a rather hoarse voice.

Yoongi shot a glare towards Jongin who was looking back with the same stern gaze. He clenched his jaw, trying to bottle his building anger up. Jongin finally released her wrist from his grip, “I’m leaving first,” planted kiss on her forehead and turned around to leave. His shoulder forcefully brushed past against Yoongi’s when he passed by him, leaving the two remaining people standing awkwardly face to face at the hallway.

 


 

Uh college life is hard :"""( I'm really sorry to say that I'm gonna be updating slow from now on, but I'll try to update in maybe idk at least two weeks? Please bear with me and continue to support this story as well as suga and minzy <333 *HUGSEVERYONEOFYOU*