As You Wish Ch. 1

As You Wish

"I really did like you," he wiped a tear away and sniffled. It was a great tactic. Slightly trembling lips and green eyes shining with unshed tears. "If we could have worked this out, I know our children would have been beautiful." Aaaand that is where his cuteness ends. 

He sighed as if he really did regret leaving me and stood up. With all-too calm hands he smoothed down the lapels of his maroon suit and kicked out the wrinkles in his slacks. I watched him in bitter silence. Believe me, I usually would have raised hell if he said something so ridiculous to me and acted like such a jerk. But I couldn't.

He ran a hand through his hair and glanced down at me again. "When you decide to take this relationship seriously, you know how to call me, okay honey?" No, don't you dare, don't you dare call me honey! I struggled to form my words but they were trapped in my throat. Maybe if I could hack up enough spit to lob at him... He began to walk away and I realized I missed my chance. I let my forehead smack into the ground, my fault, all my fault. 

I thought he was long gone, but then I head his voice drift back to me across the white emptiness: "I love you."

Like. Hell. You don't leave someone you love alone in a strange world. You don't abandon them after whisking them away from the 'bad guys.' I wanted to laugh at the irony in his statement but I thought that would be bad. I could barely hold my intestines in my hands already, any other movement might just push my kidneys and liver out. The pool of blood surrounding me steadily grew darker and I made little ripples in it with my fingertips. My fault, all my fault, I sighed.

People always say that when you die you see your life flash before your eyes. I guess you could say it flashes. I more or less got to enjoy all my mistakes in slow-mo, reveling in all the accidents, the screw-ups, the sadness, the pain. When did it all start to fall apart? Here I am perusing my memories. Sixth grade . Oh yeah, junior high wasn't that much better. What happened in high school? Eh, nothing too worthy for the most part. I remember walking in a trance all my life. There I am slouched in front of a computer, hiding at the back of the classroom, trying not to be noticed when the bullies were roaming the halls. Did I have fun? No, not really. Mum always had a new boyfriend, I didn't know where Pa was. Only child. Perfect combo, huh? 

When did things change, become different? When was it? I wanna say middle of high school. The doodles in my notebook attracted the attention of one of the other nerds. She peeked over my shoulder, noticed my sketch of Simba and grabbed my hand. The rest is kinda blurry but I remember being sheperded into a classroom and being introduced to about ten other people. "Welcome to the Anime Club" echoed around my head.

That's where she took me. Oh. It was fun. Okay, the most fun, I've ever had in my life. She took me to conventions and cosplaying parties. About the same time I was introduced into the anime world was when I began to Travel by myself. I was tired of being constrained as a human, left alone and unwanted by the society that supposedly nurtured me. Anime provided that gateway to my liberation. Ha if I wasn't hanging out with her, I was off somewhere else. I began in normal places. Konohagakure, Sakurasou Gakkou, the Edo period. It was fun.

I Traveled alone. Sometimes people followed me into the worlds accidentally, but they didn't know and they couldn't even recognize me so I played the hero. I led them back home and convinced them it was all a dream. And they fell for it every time.

It got a little lonely. But I'd been doing this for so long that I thought it didn't matter so much. 

You know how there's that stupid little, inconsequential thing that happens, and then everything gets thrown out of proportion and the world struggles to remake itself? Yeah. I apologize to all feminists out there, but for me, and the clearest of my memories, is when I met a boy. And not just any boy. One that is so alarmingly annoying and freakishly powerful. It was a no-win situation for me, as you can tell. Me, the awkward wallflower literally hanging from the back of classrooms. 

I was on another of one of my adventures. It wasn't anything abnormal. My mom had brought another of her boyfriends home so I decided to head out for a few days. By chance, or maybe by the devil's reckoning, I landed in Wonderland. No, it was not all fun and games with the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat. That Queen is one bipolar, PMSing freak. Off with your head she says, to the dungeon she says. Excuse me, but no thank you. 

So I was just meandering through the mushrooms, keeping care to hide from Her soldiers whenever they marched pass. I passed a bright purple shroom with green spots and another that was striped orange on brown, all the size of small sheds. They kept a nice shade for the beaten dirt path winding through them, and that was where I was wandering for oh perhaps five hours when I met Merh. Why do I remember him so clearly? His green eyes gleamed out of the shade like two jack-o-lanterns and his stupid hair flew up at odd angles. He wasn't all that striking except for his floating a meter off the ground. Now that is an attention getter. 

I was going to ignore him. Walk right past and pretend my eyes couldn't see in the gloom. But he called me out on it.

"It's plain courtesy to acknowledge the god of a realm, don't you think?"