Apple of My Eye

Apple of My Eye - A Contest Entry
Once upon a time in a faraway land, there lived a princess named Snow White.  This isn't really about her, but in moments like these, Yesung can think of nothing else.
 
He probably should learn to be less picky.  An apple isn't really that bad.  Snow White's lips touch the apple.  He should be content with that one brief moment of contact.  It's more than he should hope for, and if the angle of the camera is just right, he'll pretend the brush of full lips actually happens when he watches later.
 
Still, he can't help but wonder what becomes of the apple once the bite has been taken.  He supposes it is dropped roughly, leaving a bruise on it.  It probably rolls a little on the floor just to hide away for a bit.  Then, it most likely rots on the wooden floors, given the cleanliness of the dwarves.
 
Yesung hates playing the part of the apple, but the dwarves definitely have it worse.  He is reminded of this as he slips on the cutout of the six other members imposed on dwarf bodies.  The poor men watch their beloved princess run away from them.  After all they do for her, one prince comes along and makes it seem like he did everything.
 
As he looks down at this Snow White's seemingly sleeping body, he pretends that he is the prince, that his kiss will break the spell.  He feels his heart beating faster.  It would be so easy to lean in and wish the world away for a few seconds.
 
However, fate is a cruel mistress.  Leeteuk calls out for the handsome prince, and Eunhyuk’s imaginary horse gallops closer to the table.  Yesung has to move out of the way, back to the sidelines.
 
He knows this is for fun, just some bit on another variety show.  It feels like more, though.  It seems like the world knows he won't get the happy ending.  He will never rescue the damsel or defeat the villain.  He will never be the handsome prince charming, and he will never be with Kyuhyun.
 
 
 
 
He watches the scene over and over.  The angles aren't quite right, but he feels his lips stretch out into a smile nevertheless.  It almost removes all traces of doubt with each replay.  Almost.
 
Yesung usually skips the part where Eunhyuk comes to whisk Kyuhyun away.  He can try to avoid it, but the question will always float around in his head.  Why can't he be the prince?  He tries to think of all the things that define the princes in stories and comes up with three adjectives:  handsome, charming, and foreign.  He stops the video, exits the browser, turns off the computer, and wonders how he can become more handsome and charming.  After all, two out of three ain't bad.
 
 
 
 
"Do you think being handsome is a requirement for being someone's prince charming?"  Yesung asks as nonchalantly as he can.
 
Leeteuk doesn't bother to look up from the script.  Yesung watches as the older male's eyes skim over the carefully typed lines.  With every passing second, he debates whether to repeat or abandon the question.  The sound of a page turning and his leader's voice keep him from doing either.
 
"I guess so.  You never hear about some mediocre-looking guy saving the city, rescuing the princess, and riding off into the sunset."
 
Yesung ponders the possibility of sharing an ever with Kyuhyun.  He wonders if they would be happy together, but before he invests too much time in dreams of white horses and true love's first kiss, he needs to know one thing.
 
"Do you think I'm handsome?" he asks with a smile while happily turning around in a circle.
 
Leeteuk drops the papers on the table and swivels his chair to face Yesung.  He his head to the side as if in deep thought.  "Yes?"
 
Yesung’s smile falls into something resembling a frown.  "Is that a question?"
 
Leeteuk’s laugh doesn't really lighten the mood.  "Well, I don't know how to answer that.  I would say that you are, but I'm not sure if you're typical "prince charming" handsome.  Why do you ask?"
 
Yesung sits down, trying to hide his disappointment.  "Just curious."
 
 
Later, when he is snuggling up to his pillow, he thinks of what life must be like for the attractive people.  He understands everyone has their own troubles, but maybe all of the looks make up for them.  Yesung wouldn't know; Siwon would, though.  He should remember to ask him.  It must be nice to look that good.  he rolls over onto his back and wonders if Kyuhyun would like him better if he looked more like Siwon.  He probably would; Yesung wouldn't blame him.
 
Yesung has seen the way Siwon guards Kyuhyun.  It's as if Kyuhyun is the most valuable thing, and Siwon’s life depends on the younger's safety.  Kyuhyun smiles at Siwon in sincere gratitude.  Yesung thinks it's how a princess would thank a hero.
 
Kyuhyun smiles at Yesung, too.  It's usually after he's said something wrong or when he forgets all of the steps to the choreography.  He loves the way Kyuhyun laughs, so he'll pretend that the jeers don't bother him.  The fact remains:  Kyuhyun is the princess, Siwon's the fearless knight, and he is the court jester.  He tries to forget which one doesn't get the happy ending.
 
 
 
 
"How does someone become charming?"
 
The question comes out in the middle of lunch.  Shindong stares at the bowl of rice; Yesung decides to follow suit.
 
Shindong sighs.  "I'm not really the one to ask.  As far as I can tell, though, some people just are.  They're just born that way."
 
Yesung shifts his gaze upward to fully absorb what he's been told.  "So you either are or you're not?"
 
"It seems so."
 
Yesung steals glances at the calendar on the wall.  The day is circled in red, but it may as well have a big heart surrounding it.  He just needs to wait two more days.
 
"I'm ed," he says more to himself than anything.
 
Shindong must have pretty good hearing because he starts to laugh.  Once he catches his breath he says, "Join the club."
 
 
Once Shindong leaves, Yesung's thoughts return to the kingdom of a fair princess.  He has always wondered how she knew her rescuer was charming.  He doesn't really understand why that even matters.  Would a socially awkward person not be able to win over someone's heart?  He wonders what Kyuhyun would want his savior to be like.
 
He presumes the description would fit Donghae perfectly, a handsome man who is so adorable no one can resist him.  He would climb the stairs up to the tallest tower and carry the damsel to safety in his strong arms.  Yesung has watched Donghae wrap those arms around Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun always looks so happy.
 
Yesung hopes Kyuhyun is happy in his arms.  The hugs are short and awkward while Donghae's embrace is long and loving.  Kyuhyun always says “quality over quantity”.  Yesung loses to Donghae on both counts.
 
 
 
 
“In fairytales, why are the princes always from faraway places?”
 
“What?”  Heechul asks blandly.  His eyes are fixated on the computer screen that flashes updates of incoming comments.
 
Yesung pretends not to notice that he is less important than some technological device.  Instead, he considers the likelihood of falling in love with a complete stranger.  “Why don't they live closer?  Wouldn't that make it easier to fall in love?”
 
“I don't know.  They couldn't live in the same kingdom as the princesses, though.”
 
Yesung starts to doubt everything he has ever thought about love and the mechanics of it when he hears the way Heechul answers with such certainty.  “Why not?”
 
“Because then they would be related, brothers and sisters.” 
 
Heechul’s eyes meet Yesung for a brief moment, but Yesung is sure that Heechul sees the reason for these questions reflecting somewhere in him.  That just makes the comment harder to bear.  
 
“Oh,” he says.  It’s really the only thing he can think of to say.  He supposes that one word sums up his world right now.
 
 
They are just brothers, maybe friends.  They will never be anything more.  He should probably realize this, accept it, and move on.  A part of him is dying from the neglect, but he is certain a part of him will die if he gives up.  He is not exotic.  He is not something new, something different.  He is not Zhou Mi.
 
His head is spinning from the contradictions and the confusion from the whole ordeal.  Tomorrow, hopefully, will be a new day.  One he can breathe easily through.  Tomorrow, Kyuhyun comes home.  He comes back to him.  Yesung is curious of what his time was like abroad, but he can guarantee that he will never ask.  He doesn’t need to know about the times a long limbed man draped his arms around Kyuhyun.  He doesn’t care about the lovesick glances.  He especially doesn’t want to find out that it wasn’t just for show. 
 
He reaches over to turn out the light.  Tonight, he will forget about everything else.  He will make himself move on until he doesn’t have to think about doing so.  Tonight, he will be fine.  Tomorrow, however, he’s positive his mind will be back to when he fell in love with the awkward younger man.  He is sure his heart never moved from that moment.
 
 
 
 
Kyuhyun spends most of his time on his computer, reading over things he missed and catching up on his gaming time.  Yesung watches from a distance, feeling every bit as creepy as he probably looks.  The interactions between the two are a little clumsy and short-winded.  Yesung mentally kicks himself when he lets Kyuhyun say goodnight and walk away to his bedroom.  He tells himself to follow the younger man and confess all.  Instead, he pulls out his laptop and replays the video as he prays for a better ending.
 
“Don't worry, hyung.  Everyone knows that the weirdest dwarf loved Snow White the most.”
 
Yesung looks over to the source of the statement.  Eunhyuk is smiling, but he can still see the tiredness gathered around his friend’s eyes.  Yesung smiles.  He lets it fade, mostly because there is no reason not to.  The bitter truth comes out harshly.
 
“She didn't know.  Even if she did, she still runs off with the prince.”
 
 
 
 
The next day passes in the same fashion, but this time Yesung is prepared.  He darts in and out of rooms before his eyes linger on Kyuhyun too long.  He wouldn’t call it an avoidance method but an act of self-preservation.  No one seems to notice, and if they do, then they never voice their concerns.  He readies himself for bed early.  He doesn’t have a reason to be up and about, and everyone else is heading to their own rooms, as well.  That is when Henry and Ryeowook decide to follow him and bury themselves in the deep recesses of unrequited love.
 
“Yesungie, Herry came to tell you a story,” Ryeowook coos after he removes the headphones from Yesung’s ears.
 
Yesung rolls over and pulls a pillow over his head to drown out the worried expressions and confused looks his friends are offering.  “I don't want to hear it.”
 
“It'll cheer you up,” Henry says brightly.
 
“What is it about?” Yesung finds himself asking, though he isn’t totally convinced the story will work.
 
“It's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves,” Henry states with a smile. 
 
“Forget it.  I'm not in the mood to hear about how some girl gets swept off her feet by some charming stranger.”
 
This time he doesn’t just stop and covering his ears with the pillows.  Yesung throws one at Henry.  He would’ve thrown one at Ryeowook if he wasn’t hiding.
 
“But this isn't the same story.  This is the Canadian version, and he's subbed in our names,” Ryeowook explains from behind Henry, pushing his taller friend closer to Yesung’s bed.
 
“Go away.”
 
“Herry visited us specifically to tell you this story.  Please...let him tell it.”
 
Yesung feels his resolve breaking.  He hates to see Ryeowook pout.  So against his better judgment he sits up and says, “Okay, but I better not be the apple again.”
 
 
“Not too long ago in a city not too far away, there lived a young man named Kyuhyun.  He had skin as white as snow, hair as black as ebony, and ears almost as big as your hands,” Henry starts.  Yesung glances down at his tiny hands and hears Ryeowook clear his throat.  Henry starts again, “Well, almost as big as normal-sized hands.  Anyway, this is a tale of revenge, friendship, and love.”
 
“In that order?” Ryeowook asks.
 
Henry sighs.  “Of course.  Why do you ask?”
 
Ryeowook shrugs and takes a seat next to Yesung on the bed.  “I don't know.  I just wanted to be prepared for something sad”
 
“Oh, well, I don't think it's that sad…”
 
“Will you just start the story?” Yesung asks rudely.
 
Henry just smiles at his frustrated friend and says, “Alright, alright.  Here is the story of Kyuhyun and the Seven Dorks…”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?” Heechul asks coyly to his reflection.
 
The computer screen’s image changes to that of another man.  Heechul’s face scrunches up in disgust, but he is secretly pleased with the sight of someone other than himself.  Even if it is only possible through Skype and the person just happens to be Kangin.
 
“You didn't call me just to discuss your declining beauty, did you?  I have a country to protect,” the younger man says with amusement.
 
Heechul laughs to himself.  Kangin hasn't changed at all.  “Cleaning up after natural disasters hardly qualifies as military service, Kangin.”
 
“At least, I don't have to ask my mirror if I look good.”
 
“That's just because you don't want to hear the response.”
 
“What are you talking about?  I'm Korea's number one handsome guy.”
 
Heechul would never admit it out loud, but he misses the quips.  He can only assume Kangin enjoys times like this, as well.
 
“Yeah, yeah.  You can delude yourself some other time.  I'm the fairest in the land.”
 
Kangin scoffs.  “I wouldn't be too sure if I were you.  Kyuhyun’s definitely at the top of the list.”
 
“I meant fair as in good-looking not fair as in pale, you moron!” Heechul exclaims.
 
“He's getting better looking by the day.  Look, I gotta go.  Duty calls.  Have a good day, Your Highness.”
 
“Whatever.  Bye,” Heechul says shortly.  The connection is cut, and he is feeling miserable again.  He stares at the blank screen and states, “I knew I should've called Kibum.”
 
He sits on the couch in confusion.  Was it all a joke or was Kangin really pointing out a flaw?  Heechul takes pride in knowing that his face is one of the most beautiful faces in the whole world.  If this isn’t the case anymore, he needs to know why.  And if Kyuhyun is the cause, then the only solution is to get rid of him, right?
 
“Right,” he answers himself. 
 
He probably should be doing something.  It’s relatively early, yet he is bored.  What happened to his schedule?  Shouldn’t he be off working somewhere?  He glances over at the list of activities.  Everyone else is busy.  He reads over Kyuhyun’s schedule.  It’s packed.
 
“That boy has gotten too popular.  I’ve got to do something about this.  And I think I know just how to do it!”
 
 
 
 
“I can’t get my mind off ya, off ya, off my mind,” Henry sings.
 
Kyuhyun tries to follow the direction of Henry's gaze and finds himself looking back at the ceiling.  He smiles inwardly.  “I didn’t know you liked me so much.”
 
“I don’t.  It’s not about you.”
 
“I know you don’t, but I also know who you do,” Kyuhyun says while shifting his vision from the architecture of the building to his friend’s face.
 
Henry's face shows traces of worry and embarrassment.  “You know?”
 
“Yeah,” Kyuhyun responds as eloquently as he can without laughing.
 
“Don’t tell anybody, okay?” Henry pleads.  There is a hint of desperation in his eyes.
 
Kyuhyun should probably be more sensitive, but it's not really his style.  He goes for the annoying older brother approach, a mix of apathy and sarcasm.  “Why would I?”
 
“I don’t know, but I’m sure you could think of a reason,” Henry replies dryly.
 
Kyuhyun almost laughs at the change in the younger's expressions.  “I probably could.”
 
“Just remember this.  If you tell, I tell.” 
 
“You wouldn’t dare.”
 
“Try me,” Henry warns. 
 
Kyuhyun looks over at the now smiling man.  He smiles while he thinks of something witty to say, but thinking on his feet isn’t really his strong point.
 
Henry is back to bobbing his head to nothing and looking at the ceiling.  Kyuhyun laughs and says, “I can see I’ve taught you well.”
 
 
 
 
“I need you to capture Kyuhyun's heart,” Heechul says gravely into the telephone.
 
“Capture his heart?” the voice asks.
 
“Yeah, you know, make him love you.” 
 
“Why?”
 
“I have my reasons.  Just do it.”
 
“How?”
 
The conversation is getting old, and there is nothing Heechul would love to do more than hit the man on the other side of the line.  He decides to inhale, count to ten, and exhale.  In a calm voice, he says, “Flirt with him.  Write him a dopey love song or whatever it is you do.  Use those long legs or that creepy smile.  I don't care how you do it, just do it.”
 
“I'll try my best, but I don't think this is going to work,” the voice responds in a happy but doubtful tone.
 
Heechul’s grasp on the phone tightens as his patience runs thin.  “It'll work.  That guy hasn't been laid in months.  He'd fall in love with a broom if it gave him the time of day.”
 
He pushes the button to end the call, unconcerned with whether the man had anything else to add.  There is no time for stupid questions.  A new show is looking for a host, and the gossips say the production team want Kyuhyun. 
 
Heechul presses his fingers to his temples.  The stress of Kyuhyun is definitely not good for his complexion.  Soon enough, the stress will be gone.  The thought brings a smile to the beautiful man’s face.
 
 
 
 
Kyuhyun is half-asleep when he hears his door creak open.  The sound is followed by footsteps and a deep sigh.  His eyelids lift so his dark eyes can focus on the cause of the noise, but before he can find the source, he feels his bed shift to accommodate added weight.  Judging by the movement of the mattress, he assumes the weight belongs to Zhou Mi.
 
“Mi, what are you doing?”
 
“How did you know it was me?” he asks.  Kyuhyun can’t see him, but he is certain the Chinese man is smiling.
 
“Lucky guess.  So what’s up?” 
 
“Oh, I just missed you,” Zhou Mi says as he scoots closer to Kyuhyun. 
 
Kyuhyun starts to doze off when he hears another sigh.  He turns this time to really look at Zhou Mi.  The man looks a little concerned.  It’s not a look he wears well. 
 
“Are you sure you just missed me?  Is there anything else you want to talk about?” Kyuhyun asks worriedly.
 
Zhou Mi pulls the younger male closer and whispers, “I think it'd be best if you avoided Heechul for a while.”
 
“Why?”
 
“He's been acting strange lately,” Zhou Mi quickly states.
 
“He's always strange,” Kyuhyun counters.
 
“True, but this isn't his usual brand of crazy.  Something's bothering him, and it has to do with you.  Just be careful.”
 
Zhou Mi nuzzles Kyuhyun’s neck and drifts soundly into slumber land.  Kyuhyun, however, feels a bit uneasy.  At first, he thinks it may be the fact that he is now on Heechul’s bad side.  He knows it’s somewhere no one wants to be.  The more he thinks about it, though, he finds it may have to do with the man sleeping beside him.  He knows it’s not the one he wants it to be.  Kyuhyun moves his arms from around Zhou Mi and crosses them over his own chest.
 
“You don’t love me, do you?”
 
Kyuhyun rubs his eyes.  “I thought you were asleep.”
 
“That’s not really an answer.”
 
“No, I don’t,” Kyuhyun whispers back.
 
“I didn’t think so.  You’re in love, though.”
 
Kyuhyun laughs softly.  “Yeah, I think I am.”
 
“That wasn’t a question,” Zhou Mi teases.  Then he says, “Just promise me you’ll be careful.  Hide, if you have to.”
 
The sound of Zhou Mi’s breathing evens out, and the shaky movements of the bed still.  Kyuhyun takes this time to analyze the information.  He closes his tired eyes.  “I promise.”
 
 
 
 
“I couldn't do it.”
 
Heechul paces the length of the hallway.  His head is throbbing, and the irritation from this setback definitely does nothing to stop it.  “What do you mean you couldn't do it?  He was practically begging!”
 
Zhou Mi looks down at the floor.  “That's the problem.  He doesn't need me; he just needs someone.”
 
“I don't give a damn what he needs.  Finish what you started,” Heechul commands.  He hates this act of insubordination. 
 
“I can't.  I'm sorry,” Zhou Mi responds softly. 
 
“Oh, whatever.  Save your apologies for someone who cares,” Heechul says.  He watches the other leave and notices the hint of joy spread across the younger man’s face. 
 
He lets a sigh escape his luscious lips.  “Never send a Chinese man to do another Chinese man's job.  Geng, where are you when I need you?”
 
He may be going about this the wrong way.  They always say if you want something done, you must do it yourself.  Personally, he isn’t one to agree.  However, desperate times call for desperate measures. 
 
“Heechul, are you busy?” a voice calls from another room.
 
A light bulb brightens above his lovely head.  It seems times aren’t as desperate as he thought.
 
 
 
 
Running away is the easiest thing to do; hiding isn’t as simple as it sounds.  Kyuhyun finds himself rolling under beds and slinking off behind couches.  He looks like an idiot, but he reasons he is a safe idiot.  Whether or not that makes up for anything, he doesn’t know, but he does know hiding under a kitchen table during lunch isn’t the best idea he’s ever had.
 
Eunhyuk doesn’t think it’s a good idea, either.  “What are you doing under the table?”
 
“I’m hiding,” Kyuhyun says sheepishly.  He crawls out from his hiding place and stands up.  His gaze shifts over the seven inhabitants of the table.
 
“What are you hiding from?” Donghae asks in between spoonfuls of galbitang.
 
Sungmin observes the way Kyuhyun’s hands fidget.  “Who are you hiding from?”
 
“Heechul hyung.”
 
There is a resonating “oh”. 
 
“I’d ask what you did to him, but really, there’s no point.  You probably didn’t do anything at all,” Shindong says as he takes another bit of kkakdugi.
 
“I will protect you,” Siwon says matter-of-factly.
 
Kyuhyun groans, “The last time you told me that a bat whacked me in the .”
 
Ryeowook laughs.  “Don't worry, Kyuhyun-ah.  We'll make sure no harm comes to you or your .  Isn't that right, Yesungie hyung?”
 
Yesung nods as his eyes involuntarily move to look at the he should protect.  Ryeowook gently nudges him and laughs at him when a soft pink colors Yesung’s cheeks.  Kyuhyun directs his attention to the two of them.  Yesung reddens, Ryeowook laughs harder, and Kyuhyun smiles.  Yesung thinks it’s the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen.
 
 
 
 
“What did you need to talk to me about?”
 
Heechul smiles brightly as he hands the box over to the older man.  “I just wanted you to give this to Kyuhyun.  I got him a little something, and I haven’t been able to find him.”
 
The man smoothes out the red wrapping paper and shakes the box carefully.  “What did you get him?”
 
“Oh, nothing really.  Something he would enjoy…an Apple.”
 
“That’s really nice of you, Heechul.  I’m sure he will love it.  Did you get this for any particular reason?”
 
Heechul smirks.  “No, I was just thinking about him.  Oh, and one more thing, don’t tell him it’s from me.”
 
The man looks puzzled.  “Why not?”
 
“I don’t want him to feel obliged to get me anything in return,” Heechul replies.
 
“Okay.  I’ll get it to him.”
 
“Thank you.  You have no idea how much you are helping me by doing this.”
 
 
 
 
The men take shifts in their mission to keep Kyuhyun safe.  It just so happens that Ryeowook suggested he and Yesung take the last shift of the day.  Yesung suggests something to Ryeowook, but it’s better if some things aren’t repeated.
 
“But Yesungie, where will you sleep?” Ryeowook asks teasingly when Yesung offers his bed to Kyuhyun.
 
“I don’t want to take your bed.  I’ll just sleep in the floor or something,” Kyuhyun says, clearly unsure of what to make of the exchanges between the other two.
 
“No!” Yesung exclaims, which starts another burst of laughter from Ryeowook.  “I don’t sleep that much anyway.  You can have the bed,” he mumbles.
 
Kyuhyun shows off another smile.  “Well, if you insist, but I still don’t want you to have to sleep on the floor in your own room.”
 
“I think that bed is big enough for the both of you.  Maybe you should share it.”
 
Yesung probably would’ve murdered his young friend if it hadn’t been for Kyuhyun agreeing to the arrangement.  He may attempt to throttle Ryeowook tomorrow, but right now, he is too happy breathing in the scent of Kyuhyun to care about much else.
 
 
 
 
“Remember, you are hiding.  Don’t open the door for anyone,” Ryeowook reminds Kyuhyun when the morning light slips through the curtains.
 
Ryeowook gets only a few groans as a response.  He rolls his eyes as he heads out of the room.
 
Yesung looks back at the young man who is still in his bed.  He smiles as he too leaves the room.
 
 
 
 
Kyuhyun wakes up to an empty room, but he wakes up because of an annoying knock on the bedroom door. 
 
“Who is it?!” he shouts as he pulls the covers over his head.
 
There is no answer.  The only sound is the repeating knocks.  Kyuhyun decides the only way he can get enough peace to sleep is if he answers the door, so he does.
 
“Teukie hyung, what do you want?  I’m trying to sleep,” he says, trying to emphasize his agitated state of restlessness.
 
Leeteuk hands a big red box over to Kyuhyun.  Once the box is out of his hands, Leeteuk moves the notepad from his mouth.  “Oh, I was asked to deliver this to you.”
 
Kyuhyun inspects the outside of the package before he finally asks, “Who is it from?”
 
“I’m not supposed to say, but it’s a gift from someone who is really pleased with your hard work and dedication.  Enjoy, I’ve got to go.”
 
“Where are you going?  I didn’t think you had anything planned for today.”
 
“I didn’t, but you know that new show our managers have been talking about?  Well, since you declined the hosting position, the producers asked me if I wanted to do it.  I said yes.  Actually, that’s what I’ve got to do right now.  See you later!”
 
Kyuhyun watches as Leeteuk practically runs down the hallway.  He hopes he does well, but hosting isn’t anything new for the guy.  However, this box is something new.  Kyuhyun carefully unwraps the red paper to reveal an Apple computer box.  There is a typed note on the top of the box.
 
Here you are, Kyuhyun-ah!  You deserve it.  I’ve taken the liberty of installing a game on it.  It’s called the Sleeping Death.  I’m sure you can beat it.  Good luck!
 
“The Sleeping Death?  Well, here goes nothing,” Kyuhyun says as he pries open the box.
 
 
 
 
Yesung walks over to find Kyuhyun passed out over an unfamiliar computer.  He taps the sleeping man on the shoulder to tell him that dinner is ready.  He gets no response.  He taps a bit harder, but Kyuhyun doesn’t even groan.  Yesung shakes the younger man.  Kyuhyun’s eyes remain closed. 
 
“What’s wrong?” Ryeowook asks as he comes in the room, witnessing his friend violently rocking Kyuhyun.
 
“Kyuhyun…he won’t wake up,” Yesung says in disbelief.
 
Ryeowook stumbles upon the computer box that was thrown haphazardly from Yesung’s bed.  He reads the note and passes the box to Yesung.
 
“This calls for reinforcements,” he finally says before leaving Yesung to look after Kyuhyun.
 
 
 
 
Henry sees everyone gathered in Yesung and Ryeowook’s room.  He figures this is as good of a time as any to show his true feelings.  After all, no one can turn someone down in front of a crowd.  It makes that someone look like a total jerk.  His love is definitely no jerk, at least he hopes.
 
“I've been in love with you since I first saw you…” he sings as he enters the room.
 
Eunhyuk rolls his eyes at Henry and turns his attention back to the sleeping man in bed.  “Herry, this really isn't a good time.”
 
“Why not?” Henry asks, trying to see over heads so he will know what’s going on.
 
Sungmin moves over to the side so Henry can see around him.  “It's Kyuhyun…”
 
Henry doesn’t like the way Sungmin’s gaze goes back to the other man. “Great.  That's just great.  I work up the nerve to confess to you, and all you want to do is worry about him, of all people.  I knew KyuMin was real.”
 
“You were confessing to me?” Sungmin asks.  Eunhyuk rolls his eyes again.  Ryeowook tries to hide a smile.
 
“What did you think I was doing?” Henry wonders out loud. 
 
Sungmin blushes and smiles nervously as he says, “Practicing.”
 
Henry stares at Sungmin in disbelief.  “Why would I practice that song?  I never get to sing it.”
 
Sungmin opens his mouth to retaliate, but he is cut off by the sound of Siwon clearing his throat. 
 
Shindong redirects the group’s focus back to Kyuhyun.  “I hate to break up this little love fest, but we've got a problem.”
 
“Oh, yeah,” Sungmin replies bashfully, careful to avoid eye contact with Henry.
 
“What's wrong?” the youngest finally works up the nerve to ask when the others continue to silently stare at the guy in bed.
 
Donghae turns to Henry and whispers, “Kyuhyun's asleep.”
 
“So wake him up,” Henry responds loudly.
 
Shindong covers his face with his hands.  “You, sir, are a genius.  Why don't we just wake him?” he asks sarcastically.
 
“We've tried to wake him, but we can't.  That's the problem,” Eunhyuk tells Henry as he brings Ryeowook closer to his side.
 
Ryeowook starts to slide when Eunhyuk leans on him but eventually finds his footing.  He looks over the dead-like form and says, “In stories, a kiss always works.”
 
“Really?” Donghae asks excitedly.  Siwon shakes his head.
 
Ryeowook smiles as his stare shifts from Donghae to Yesung.  “Yeah.  No one can sleep through a kiss.  It's physically impossible.”
 
Eunhyuk laughs at Ryeowook’s lack of subtlety, but clearly, Donghae doesn’t catch it.  “But who's going to kiss him?”
 
Siwon’s eyes widen at Donghae’s question and the overall calmness of the situation.  “What?!  We're really going to do this?”
 
“Do you have any other ideas?” Eunhyuk asks through fits of laughter. 
 
“No,” Siwon states truthfully.
 
“It's the only thing we haven't tried,” Shindong proclaims with outstretched arms as if the gesture alone makes the statement valid.
 
Henry looks around at the group.  Ryeowook and Eunhyuk are looking at Yesung and laughing occasionally.  Sungmin is biting his bottom lip, probably to keep from smiling. Donghae is moving about enthusiastically, oblivious to the others.  Siwon is watching Donghae, and Shindong is watching Siwon in a suspicious manner.  Yesung is holding onto Kyuhyun’s hand. 
 
“There's gotta be another way,” Henry thinks out loud.
 
Shindong shakes his head but smiles anyway.  “It doesn't look like it.  So who wants to do it?”
 
Ryeowook smiles sweetly and says, “The prince is supposed to kiss the princess.  Then she wakes up, and they live happily ever after.”
 
“We don't have a prince,” says Donghae.  He looks around the room, and the others exchange glances.
 
Shindong carefully looks over each person.  “No, but we happen to have a very handsome foreigner handy.  It's the same, right?”
 
Henry looks around for the foreigner before reality hits him.  He frowns slightly.  “Handsome foreigner?  I know you're not talking about me.”
 
“Come on, Herry.  Take one for the team,” Eunhyuk begs. 
 
“Oh no.  I just ate some stinky tofu, so…” Henry explains while he watches Sungmin’s mouth twitch upward in amusement.
 
Donghae smiles and jokes, “That's okay.  If the kiss doesn't work, I'm sure your breath will wake him.”
 
“We don't want to kill him,” Eunhyuk says, “Pick someone else.”
 
Henry purses his lips.  Shindong chuckles and waves his hands in defeat.  “Okay.  Someone handsome...Siwon?”
 
“Nope,” Siwon responds curtly.  The merriment stops momentarily.
 
“Donghae?” Shindong asks.
 
“Say no,” Ryeowook whispers to Donghae.  Eunhyuk buries his head into Ryeowook’s shoulder to stifle his laughter.
 
Donghae nods at Ryeowook and replies, “No.”  Eunhyuk pats Donghae on the head, and Siwon glares at Eunhyuk. 
 
Shindong rests his hands on his hips.  “Well, someone's gotta do it.” 
 
Yesung takes this as a cue.  He moves closer to Kyuhyun’s side and leans in so that Kyuhyun’s lips are only a breathing space from his own.  He swallows down his nerves and closes his eyes.  He hears the arguing going on around him, but he doesn’t really pay any mind to it.  He brings his lips closer and closer until he can feel the soft contact of Kyuhyun’s.  He presses them just a bit closer until he feels Kyuhyun’s hand tightening around his own smaller one.  He continues the kiss until he feels Kyuhyun’s other hand running along his spine.  Then, he prolongs the sensation because he wants to.  Kyuhyun doesn’t seem to mind.
 
Eunhyuk looks over to Yesung’s bed when he hears Ryeowook squeak with glee.  He smiles and states, “It looks like someone did.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“The end,” Henry states.
 
“Ha, I always get the last word!” Eunhyuk exclaims from Ryeowook’s bed.
 
Henry bows modestly when some of the guys applaud him.  He even blushes when Sungmin says, “Great job, Henli.”  Of course, the blushing might also have something to do with Sungmin’s wink or come-hither look.
 
Yesung feels a bit embarrassed at the story’s ending, especially since everyone was secretly listening to it.  He looks around and counts thirteen faces.  He pouts when he notices the one face he wanted to see isn’t anywhere around.
 
“I think it's time for bed, guys.  And Herry, tomorrow we'll discuss why you think I should be the old hag,” Leeteuk sternly states. 
 
Heechul throws a pillow at the elder’s head.  “You got him spot on.  He does…”  A pillow conveniently hits him in the mouth before he finishes saying whatever Leeteuk does. 
 
Siwon pushes Donghae out of the room before he engages in the impending pillow fight or asks too many questions.  However, Donghae ducks under the taller man’s arm to ask a rather important question.  “Did they live happily ever after?”
 
Henry opens his mouth to reveal what happened to all of the characters when he hears a low voice say, “Of course.”
 
The others turn to see the source of the voice, knowing who it is before their eyes confirm it.  Kyuhyun steps away from the doorway with a huge smile on his face, and Yesung is fairly sure his heart is going to beat right out of his chest. 
 
“I think it’s bedtime,” Ryeowook says quietly while guiding everyone out of his room.  He looks back at Yesung and winks when the older man looks his way.  “Can I stay in your room tonight, hyung?”  Eunhyuk nods as they close the door behind them.
 
“Hi.”  Yesung’s voice is shaky.  He wonders how much of the story the younger man heard, how much he knew.
 
In the fluorescent lights, Kyuhyun’s eyes sparkle like stars.  His smile is even brighter.  “Hi.”
 
Yesung shifts uncomfortably under Kyuhyun’s gaze.  He feels transparent.  “So I guess you know now, huh?”
 
Kyuhyun’s mouth parts slightly.  Yesung decides to continue saying what he needs to before he loses the tiny bit of self-control he has left.  “I mean, you know I like you.  You don’t have to like me back.  You probably don’t, but…”
 
“Would it be alright if I stayed in here for a while?” Kyuhyun interrupts. 
 
Yesung nods, mostly out of confusion.  Kyuhyun lays down next to him and closes his eyes.  Yesung is even more confused.
 
“This is the part where the prince kisses the princess,” Kyuhyun whispers.
 
Yesung freezes.
 
Kyuhyun’s eyes flutter open after a few moments.  He raises up and rests his forehead against Yesung’s.  Yesung is positive his mind has stopped functioning.  Kyuhyun smirks and murmurs in Yesung’s ears.  “Maybe you’re the princess.” 
 
It is probably insulting to his reputation as a man, but he doesn’t care as long as the feel of hot air continues.  Kyuhyun leans back to fully look at the shaking man before him.  “Just because the story ends in a kiss doesn't mean that it has to be the last one, right?”
 
Kyuhyun bends closer, and Yesung swears the world has quit turning.  All he knows is the electric rush of lips touching, hands touching, hearts touching. 
 
He is still dazed when Kyuhyun pulls away.  He opens his eyes to a smirking Kyuhyun who says, “I guess you are the princess.”
 
Yesung would love to argue, to assert himself as the man.  That takes up too much time, though.  Instead, he pushes Kyuhyun onto the mattress and kisses him softly before turning out the lights.  He needs to remember to thank his meddling friends, but right now, he thinks it’s best to worry about what the “ever after” included and all of the kisses Henry left out.