Always a Jung

Always a Jung

Always a Jung

 

"It smells good in here."

Baekhyun looked over his shoulder, holding his mixing bowl in hand as he gave his son a smile. "I thought you and Suga were staying together at your apartment tonight?"

Taehyung shrugged. "He got asked out by Jimin, so I told him to go. Besides, I was kind of glad, you know? I sort of wanted to stay the night here anyway." He dropped his bag on the kitchen table and walk to see what his mother was making. When he realized it was a tart, he frowned. "What's wrong with Dad?"

Baekhyun smiled slightly as he put his bowl down, wiping his hands on his apron. "He's had a rough week. Bambam's birthday was yesterday, you're getting married tomorrow, and he's just tired. But don't worry, kiddo. He's promised me that he'll snap out of it by tomorrow." He dug around one of his lower cabinets in search of a baking pan, grumbling as she shuffled the other pans around. "Now where did Daehyun put that pastry pan! This is exactly why I hate it when he puts the dishes away. Heaven forbid we put things back where we find them."

Laughing at his mother, he dragged a hand over his messy hair. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course you can."

"Do you even like being in the kitchen? I've watched you bake my whole life and you never really seem to enjoy it."

Baekhyun shrugged. "I don't hate it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it."

"Then why do you do it?"

"Because I married a Jung," Baekhyun retorted with a laugh. "Bambam isn't much of a comfort food kind of person. He might look like your father but he has a different personality. But you, much like your father, will sit and brood until someone brings you something packed with sugar. For your father, it's a tart. For you, its -"

"Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream!" Taehyung exclaimed. 

"Exactly," Baekhyun replied with a laugh.

"I remember when I gave Jungkook his first chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream," Taehyung said with a fond smile.

"When I found Jungkook in the library that night, I let him try one, and he loved them." Sighing, he drummed his nails against the countertop. "Sometimes I wish we were little again."

"Believe me, your father feels the same way today," Baekhyun replied, laying the crust inside the pan, then carefully placing the tart mixture on top. "He was looking at old photo albums of you kids earlier when he got home from work."

Taehyun frowned again, her shoulders dropping slightly. "He likes Jungkook, right? I mean, I know he says he does, but does he really?"

"He really does, and not because there is a Jung in his name," Baekhyun reassured his son, stifling a giggle as he slid the tart into the oven and casting a spell on the dirty dishes to clean themselves up. He removed the apron from his body and tossed it on the counter, looking right at his son. "He's in the study if you want to talk to him."

Shaking his head, Taehyung walked over and sat down at the kitchen table. His head was running a mile a minute. He couldn't believe that by this time tomorrow, He and Jungkook would be having their first dance as spouses. He startled slightly as his mother joined him, snapping him from his thoughts.

"Here," Baekhyun said, sliding a large mug of tea over to his son.

"Thanks," Taehyung replied. He took a sip and held the mug close to him with both hands, the heat feeling good against his cold hands. In his opinion, spring could kick into gear at any time as there were still spots of snow on the ground in certain shaded spots of his parents’ home in Seoul. It was still cold outside, being May and all, but his Grandma promised that there would be enough a big bonfire to keep everything warm. "Were you scared? Before you married Dad?"

Baekhyun nodded. "I was a bit scared and a bit nervous. Are you a bit scared?"

"And a bit nervous," Taehyung admitted, not looking his mother in the eye.

"When your father and I finally figured out that we wanted to be together, I remember flying back from Seoul with my parents. I was scared to see your father at the airport, because I hadn't seen him for most of the summer. And we were sitting there in the airport, talking about him, and Grandpa asked me if I was scared to take the risk to see if your father and I would actually work out as a couple, and I said yes. You want to know what he told me next?"

Taehyung nodded and took a sip of his tea. "Please."

"Grandpa said that it was good that I was scared," his mother said. "Because if I wasn't afraid of losing him, then I was never meant to have him." He leaned back in his chair, his arms outstretched and hands cupped around his mug as it sat on the edge of the table. "I don't really think I understood what he meant then. I mean, I understood what he meant in theory of course, but the reality, well, that came later."

Sighing, Taehyung took a minute before looking up at his mother. "He's giving up so much to marry me. I know his parents finally agreed to come, but his relationship with them will hardly be the same again, and I just…I feel like he's losing so much and that maybe he'll resent it one day, and in return, me."

"That'll never happen."

"You don't know that, Mum."

Baekhyun laughed as his son called him ‘Mum’. Baekhyun shook his head. "I was sitting at this very table listening to that young man ramble and stutter for a good minute before pulling it together the night he asked your father for your hand. If your father had even the slightest bit of doubt that Jungkook could one day break your heart, he would have said no."

Taehyung's eyes were wide. "Wait just a minute. He asked Dad if he could marry me?"

"He asked me first, but only so he could have a human shield in the room when he asked your father," Baekhyun said with a chuckle.

"When he did ask Dad...what did Dad say?"

Baekhyun smirked. "The same thing Grandpa said to him the day your father asked him if he could marry me – If I said no, what would you do?"

"And Jungkook said?"

"Marry him anyway," Baekhyun recanted with a sweet sigh. "It's okay to be nervous, kiddo. But don't be scared. Be excited! You're about to share your life with a man that adores you, and not everyone gets to be so lucky." He nodded his head in the direction of the kitchen staircase that led upstairs towards the study. "Why don't you go check on your father?"

Taehyung nodded, taking his mug with him. He kissed his mother's cheek in passing and trudged up the stairs to the study. It was really his mother's study, a luxurious work of art that her father created just for her – more of a library than a study - but over the years his father soon had a desk of his own inside, across the room from his mother's. He drummed her nails against the door lightly.

"Hello, V."

"How did you know it was me?"

"You've knocked on doors that way since you were little," Daehyun said with a laugh. "Bambam doesn't know how to knock, and your mother gives one blunt knock before barging in." He looked up from the old leather couch he sat on, an open photo album in his lap. "Everything alright?"

Taehyung nodded. "Just thought I'd spend my last night as a Jung at home."

"You'll hardly stop being a Jung."

"You know what I mean."

"Yeah…I reckon I do," Daehyun said.

He took a seat next to him on the couch, and leaned against him as soon as he opened up an arm to him, draping it around his shoulders. "What are you looking at?"

"Pictures of you," he said, pointing to one of a five-year-old Taehyun sitting on top of his father's shoulders, slumped over the top of his father's head, moments away from a sugar coma with an empty candy floss bag in his hand. "Your mum was furious at me when he realized we'd eaten the whole thing."

Taehyung stifled a snort. "If he'd ever try it, he'd understand how delicious it is."

"And how hard it is to stop after one bite."

"Exactly," Taehyung agreed. "Speaking of delicious, he's baking you a tart as we speak."

Daehyun nodded. "Your mother is too good to me. Don't think I don't know it."

"I feel bad," Taehyung confessed. "I didn't even think about this week being a tough and tiring week with Bambam’s birthday and all- "

"It's okay, V," Daehyun interjected, giving her a squeeze. You don't need to feel bad about not getting him a present."

"I know, but Mum said you were a bit tired about it this week."

"I planned everything for that boy, is all," Daehyun reassured his daughter. "But I'll always love him." He ruffled his son’s hair and clapped a hand on his knee. "Do you leave for your honeymoon right after the reception?"

Taehyung nodded. “We’re flying on an airplane to Greece, because Jungkook is obsessively fascinated by them and has always wanted to ride one. So Mum helped me buy some pills because I’m going to need them. I hate airplanes.”

Daehyun shuddered. "I agree. Those things cannot be safe. How your mum can fly on one of those and not a cruise ship or a van is beyond me."

"That's exactly what I told him! I wish airplanes were like carnival rides. Then I could claim to be too short to ride."

"You could," Daehyun replied with a chuckle. "When do you fly back?"

“We’re there for sixteen days, I believe. I don’t know; I didn’t make the reservations. Jungkook said something though about flying back on a Monday because flights were cheaper during the weekday maybe? I don’t remember much of anything once he started going on about the type of airplane we’d take. He’s such a geek about flying objects. It’s no wonder Grandpa adores him.”

His father agreed. “Believe me, I’ve experienced his screams of joy.” He flipped through some more of the photo album, stopping at a picture of Taehyung, Baekhyun and Bambam. “That was taken the day we took Bambam,” he said. “You wanted to go him so badly that Baekhyun said it was time to meet your little brother.”

Taehyung closed his eyes for a moment, vaguely remembering the events of that day. "Was that the same day I fell on the sidewalk and scraped up my arms because someone put my shoes on the wrong feet and failed to notice?"

"In my defense, your mum was in charge of making sure your shoes were sorted on the right feet," Daehyun replied. "Baekhyun knew I was rubbish at it."

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “I remember Mum putting smelly ointment on the scrapes when we came home and crying because it stung a lot.”

"Yeah, but didn't we have fun though? Before all of that?"

He kept his irritated face for a second, then cracked a smile. "Of course we had fun. We always had fun."

Daehyun smiled. "We did, didn't we?"

"We did," Taehyung confirmed. "Then Bambam came along and turned into the world's biggest brat. I swear I forgot why I wanted a little brother."

“He’s certainly a mummy’s boy,” Daehyun commented with a wry chuckle. “But then again, I reckon I was a bit of the same way growing up. It usually happens to those who have loving mothers.”

Taehyung smiled at the comment. Daehyun closed the photo album and slouched down a bit in the corner of the couch, Taehyung shifting and falling slightly along with him. He smiled as he felt him snuggle up to him, just like he used to do when he was a little boy. Baekhyun would often lament when Taehyung was a baby that he liked him best, and while he would always assure him that Taehyung loved them both, he secretly enjoyed knowing that he was the preference when his V had a choice. He ruffled his head and heard him sigh. "Feeling alright?"

He shrugged. "Just tired. I haven't slept well all week…with the excitement and all."

Daehyun nodded, ruffling his head again and dragged the knit afghan from the back of the couch and draped it over his body. It didn't take long for Taehyung to fall completely asleep, lightly snoring. Daehyun let him sleep there for several more minutes, enjoying the fact that his son could still seek comfort from him, even now as a grown adult. He was excited for him to begin the next chapter of his life, but a small part of him would always be wistfully wishing he was the little boy who would look at him as if he could do anything.

"Hey," Baekhyun whispered as Daehyun came back to her. Daehyun was surprised as Baekhyun sat beside him and looked at their sleeping son. Baekhyun then rested his head on Daehyun’s shoulder.

"Hey," he replied softly, bending down slightly to kiss the tip of his nose. "I think the excitement of wedding week has worn him out a bit, eh?"

Baekhyun chuckled quietly. “Well, some things will never change. At least he’s sleeping early tonight. We have a long day tomorrow.” He grabbed his hand and led him downstairs where there was a small dessert plate already filled with a piece of tart and a glass of warm milk waiting for him on the table. He let go of his hand and hugged his arms around Daehyun’s middle. “You’re such a great father,” Baekhyun told him. “I couldn’t have asked for a better dad for Taehyung and Bambam.”

"You're probably right," he teased.

Baekhyun playfully swatted his chest and let go, but Daehyun grabbed his wrist and pulled him back to him. He leaned in and kissed his lips, his arms wrapping around his middle. Picking him up the moment he felt his arms around his neck, he hugged him tightly, then pulled back to look at her. "Thanks for always taking care of us," he said. "And me…especially this week."

He smiled and pecked his lips. "You're most certainly welcome."

He put Baekhyun down and smacked his bum, earning a feigned glare of irritation from his spouse, and sat down at the table. Taking a bite of his tart, he instantly felt better as he chewed and swallowed the sweet, sugary treat. "This is fantastic."

"I'm glad you approve."

"We may need to hide what's left, so I can eat it tomorrow, once it hits me that V is a Jeon."

"I already have some securely tucked away for that very purpose," Baekhyun promised him.

Daehyun grinned. "You really are the most amazing spouse."

“Not really,” he said. “I just happen to know my spouse very well.”


SOOOOOOOO... I feel so awkward writing this. (Especially Baekhyun and Daehyun's scene.)

 

 

BTW, Daehyun never met Youngjae and Baekhyun never met Chanyeol :( Sorry xD (Not really, they look CUTE together xD)

 

Also, sorry if there were typos, I didn't really check for typos because I'm lazy.

 

So if you guys don't understand, here's a what happened:

1. V is getting married to Jungkook.

2. Baekhyun is V and Bambam's mom.

3. Daehyun is V and Bambam's dad.

4. Bambam is V's little bro. (But he's not mentioned because I was not really feeling him when I wrote this. xD)

5. This is the eyeliner family. :)

6. Suga is dating Jimin. (I forgot Jimin is ALSO part but whatevs~ :3 ) 

 

This story is dedicated to my beloved Sehun biased unnie who's birthday is on May 3. <3 Saranghae, UNNIE :3 

 

Bye~