Part 3

Our Love Blossoms

 

ACHOO! ACHOO! ACHOO!
I haven't sneezed in a week, though it hardly feels forgein. The constant sneezing is almost comforting, until I remember that it can only mean one thing. He's back again. For a second I can imagine that things are back to normal, but then I remember.
 
For the past while, I've been avoiding Minhyuk. Or he's been avoiding me. It's hard to tell now. Either way, I've been keeping my head low. Now that I know what he... really thinks... Nope, nope. Come on, _____, you swore you would stop thinking about that! It just makes you depressed. 
 
Sigh.
 
"_____?" you hear that familiar voice call out.
 
Crap. I've been discovered!
 
I was sure that my disguise was perfect! I stay crouched down beside a garbage can, covering my face with a leaf I plucked off of a nearby tree.
 
"_____, I know it's you. Get up. Where have you been for the past week? The pile of flowers waiting for you is growing."
"I don't need any more of your flowers!"
"W-What?"
"I get it, okay?! I discovered the secret message!"
"...You did...? Is that was this is all about?" 
He sounded a bit sad. Sad? What?! NO. He's not allowed to be sad! He's not the one that is being hated here! "Yes. I'm doing what you want, I'm leaving you alone. I don't even know why you go looking for me. If you hated me so much, then why do I see you every day?! Why do you give me so many flowers?!"
"Hate? _____, what are you talking about?"
Now he just sounded confused. It just made me more mad, "the orange lily! Minhyuk, I know what it means! It means hatred! You hate me! I looked it up!" I hold out the book, pointing to it, "I read it all right here. An orange lily means 'hatred'!"
 
There was an uncomfortable pause.
 
Before he started laughing.
 
Laughing?
 
Laughing?!
 
"Why are you laughing?!" I demanded.
His eyes were watering a little bit, clutching his sides as his laughing fit soon came to an end. Minhyuk wiped his eyes before he spoke, "you know, _____, from all these years, you'd think that you'd be able to tell an orange lily from an orange gardenia."
"A... A what?"
"An orange gardenia, you idiot."
 
Instantly I flip open the book, searching for the meaning.
 
Gardenia...
 
The meaning of a gardenia...
 
My eyes shoot back up to Minhyuk. I probably have a big goofy smile on my face, so thank heavens he's looking at the ground, his face dusted over with a light blush.
"Really?"
 
Shyly, he extends his arms, pulling me into a gentle hug.
 
Because a gardenia, do you know what it means?
 
"I secretly love you."
 
ACHOO!
end.
 
 
 
//
 
 
Flower Meanings
Arbutus - "You're the only one I love"
Bellflower - Thinking of you
Chrysanthemum (Yellow) - Secret admirer
Gardenia (Orange) - "I secretly love you"
Lilac - First love
Lily (Orange) - Hatred
Mallow - Consumed by love
Moonflower - Dreaming of love
Sweetpea - Shyness
Tulip (Red) - Declaration of love
Tulip (Yellow) - Hopelessly in love