South Korea

Like in the Manga

August fifth, another day of my boring summer. I was cuddled in my bed, wearing my favorite black pajamas. I was in the middle of watching episode forty-five of Beelzebub, when Oga and baby Beel were training to beat the powerful Demons, when I hear my father shout from downstairs. “Baby girl, come here!”

I put the video on pause and maneuver my way to the foot of the stairs. “What is it?” I asked.

“Come here, come here its important!” he says, his voice, sounding very excited.

I tried to quickly come down the stairs, but I end up skidding down a couple of steps. “Whoa.” I grab onto the bar to prevent myself from falling. Take note that I am kind of a clumsy person.

“You alright?” my father questions, as I follow his voice that was emitting from the kitchen.

“Yeah, I slipped, but I’m fine.” I answer, joining him at the round dining table. He had a paper in his hand in a language that I couldn’t understand, but I looked at it some more and realized there was English at the bottom. “What’s that, dad?” I ask.

“You know I have recently been looking for a school to coach at, right?” he smiles at me. “I got a job at Lee Soo Man High School. I’m going to be a coach for their basketball team! In Korea!”

“Seriously? In Korea?” I look at him flabbergasted. “We’re going to go to Korea? But…we can’t even speak Korean, and where are we going live? We’ve never been to Korea before! What about school?” I look at the nearest calendar and point at it. “It’s in like four weeks!”

“Mei – Mei, calm down, Daddy has it taken care of.” He says, patting my back. I quiet down and listen. “There’s a family that will host us. They said they’ll even get you enrolled into Soo Man High and from what I’ve read it’s a pretty prestigious school.”

“When are we going?” I grin from ear-to-ear. I threw my arms around him and began to squeal like a pig.

He nods towards the two plane tickets that were resting nearby. “Tomorrow morning,” he lifts me over his shoulder. “So, let’s get packing right now, sweetheart!”

“Dad, what are we going to do about all my manga? Will it fit in the luggage?” I question as we headed up the stairs.

“Um, I hope it’s able to!” he chuckles.

 

 

/////

 

 

My father and I were really close since we are all we’ve got. He and my mom had been separated for two years (I was thirteen then), so I hadn’t seen my mother for a year. I have one older brother (he’s two years older) and I haven’t seen him for a year either. I miss my mom because we always watched anime and read manga together and we were really close. That’s how I, a black girl, ended up with a Japanese name (however my brother got an American name since my dad named him, haha). Anyway, I chose to live with my father because I didn’t want him to be all alone!
I wish my parents were back together so I could be with my mom again, but I can’t make them love each other again.

I loved manga and anime a lot, and I secretly crushed on all the male fictional characters. It’s embarrassing right? But I can’t help it; they’re so sweet and adorable. The types I like, mostly, are the flirtatious, yet cute and sweet ones, they are my favorites! The cold ones are not so much to my liking though, but near the end of the anime or manga they always act kind of nice. It only depends, though.

“Mei?” My father knocks on my door lightly, getting my attention.

“My clothes and things are packed. I’m almost done packing my books and things.” I explain. I put my curly black hair into a messy bun as I place the last volume (that I owned) of Kaichou wa Maid-sama! in the luggage case and zipped it up.

“Make sure you get lots of sleep because we have to wake up really early!” he warns.

“How early?” I wonder. I am not a morning person. I don’t see how people can be so lively before ten o’ clock in the morning.

“Three in the morning!” he grins. I glance at the clock and it read nine-twenty. “That’s about seven hours of sleep, so get snoring, kay?”

“Yes sir!” I smile. He turned off my light as I crawl into my bed.

“Sweet dreams!”

“You too!”

 

 

/////

 

 

 

“Mei, Mei, wake up, we’re landing.” My father nudges me off his shoulder that I was using for a pillow. He leans over and opens the window up. The bright light irritates my sleepy eyes. “Look baby, look.” He whispers, pointing down at the green scenery. I was too sleepy to even pay attention so I just shut my eyes again in attempt to fall back asleep. “Wow~!” I hear him coo once more. I groan because he didn’t sit back so I was unable to use his shoulder as support for my head anymore.

We are now landing in Seoul, Korea. It is currently Monday, August 6th at five-thirty in the morning here.” Says the voice on the intercom, then it repeats it in Korean, Japanese and Chinese.

My father  suddenly pokes me in the cheek. “Get up, we’re going.”

I got up, hitting my head on the luggage holder above me. “Ouch!” I hiss. The people that were waiting behind my dad, giggle at me. I send an embarrassed smile there way and walk down the aisle quickly.

“You alright?” My father calls from behind me. I pretend not to hear him though.

 

 

/////

 

 

Once we arrive at our destination, a big, white (obviously newly painted) house, my father says something I couldn’t understand.

“What did you say?” I ask.

“I said ‘we have arrived’ in Korean.” He explains as he grabbed one of our huge luggage bags. He hands me a book, it has Korean on it. At the bottom it said; “English to Korean dictionary, BONUS: At the end of the book it always contains translations, for someone new to Korea!”

“Dad, you speak Korean?” I wonder in a surprised voice, following him to the front door.

“Well, since I’m going to be coaching a Korean basketball team I did study a bit.” He explains, with a “duh” tone. He rings the doorbell and we wait a couple seconds until a man, probably in his older thirties, answered the door.

“Oh, hello!” he spoke in perfect English. I got to say, I was a bit surprised at how fluent he sounded. “You must be Mr. Thompson. Please, come in, you two must be awfully tired.”

“Yes, but call me, Daniel, instead.” My father smiles. “Same to you, though. I’m sorry we couldn’t pick another time to arrive.”

“That’s fine, Daniel, just because I’m in my jammies doesn’t mean I’m going to bed.” He and my father share a hearty, old men laugh. “Oh and call me Yunkyum!”

He lounges around in his house in his pajamas? I do that too!

He grins and glances down at me. I suddenly feel shy and look down at my shoes. “This is your daughter, I assume?”

“Yes, this is Mei, she’s fifteen.” He spoke for me. My father knows I don’t like to talk to older strangers. Not that I don’t want to talk to them, I just get really shy.

“You’re room is this way,” Yunkyum says as he leads us towards these glorious set of stairs. I think they were made of marble.

“Honey?” a feminine voice called out, “Why are all the lights on?” I couldn’t understand what she had said since, of course, she was speaking Korean.

 I look up at my father, questioningly, but he just pats my head in response.


The woman finally came into view, from the top of the stairs. “Oh, Mr. Thompson you’re here!” She gushes in English this time. She didn’t sound as fluent as her husband, but I could at least understand her.

“I’m just showing him and his daughter to their rooms.” Yunkyum explained. “This is my wife, Soonbok. Soonbok means gentle and blessed in Korean.”

“That’s a pretty name,” I say in a small voice.

“Aw? Really? Thank you!” Soonbok pinches my cheeks. “Wow, you have nice skin!”

“Th-Thanks…”

 

 

/////

 

 

 

My eyes flutter open for the third time today. I got a glance at the clock that rests on my night stand beside me. It was two-forty six in the afternoon.

I yawn and sit up while simultaneously stretching my arms. The bed was really comfortable; when I laid down on it earlier I was immediately out like a light.

My luggage case was resting by the restroom door and I quickly open it up to grab some fresh clothes to change into and then headed inside.

 Inside, it was nice, fresh and clean. I placed my clothes on the black counter, and that’s when I noticed another door. It was white and had a gold knob. I figure it could be a closet or something so out of curiosity I open it. I was wrong, it was no closet. It was actually a bedroom, a very big bedroom. Bigger than the one I had back in Houston.

The walls were painted a light brown and were covered with posters of very pretty models. The bed was black, with a black duvet with white stars. The room was quite clean…

My eyes dance over to the couch, a boy was asleep there. He had an open book resting on his chest that was slowly heaving up and down.

Soonbok and Yunkyum never told me they had a son. I slowly sauntered towards him, careful not to make any loud noises.
I leaned over him, taking in his features. He had long eyelashes, full eyebrows, luscious red lips, and a sharp jawline.

What am I doing? Creeping on him like this? Let me just go and shower like I was supposed to. Why are the bathrooms connected anyways? That’s weird.

I swiftly turn to make my back to the bathroom, but I hit my big toe against the foot of the bed. I squealed loudly as I collapsed to the floor to hug my foot to my chest. “Ouch,” I moan out as tears form in my eyes. I glance back to see if the boy is still sleeping and thankfully he is.

I slowly crawl into the bathroom and quietly shut the door behind me. I notice there was a lock, so I lock it and use the countertop to help myself to my feet. Damn, why did I have to hit my toe? The pain is really too much right now!

As I turn on the shower, my thoughts go back to that boy. I’m so surprised that he didn’t even stir! Usually in the manga they always woke up in the middle of the girls creeping, or even as she tried to escape! Hm, maybe he was really sleepy.

I’m glad he didn’t wake though, what would I even say to him even if he did? I need to start studying Korean. I’ll be going to a Korean school in approximately four weeks so I’d better start learning what I can.

It shouldn’t be hard living in Korea. At least I hope it won’t be.

 

 

/////

 

 

“Dad?” I call out as I slowly made my way down the expensive staircase.
I stroll into the living room. The walls were tan, while the furniture varied in many other dark colors. I saunter into the next nearest door and found myself in the kitchen. The counters and cupboards were all bright and wooden. Soonbok was sitting at the fancy, rectangular dining table reading a magazine. Now that it was day time, I could see more of her features than I had earlier this morning. She had short, straight brown hair, almond eyes, her orbs were dark brown.

She had a steaming cup of – I’m assuming – coffee near the magazine she had her eyes on.

“Um,” I say, awkwardly, grabbing her attention.

“Oh, Mei sweetie, you’re awake.” She smiles. For an older Asian woman, she didn’t have many wrinkles around her eyes. Her skin looked very smooth and healthy. “It’s three-thirty in the afternoon. The trip must have made you really tired.” Right then and there my stomach chose the perfect time to make noise. Soonbok giggles. “And hungry. I shall cook you some very yummy Korean food!” She dances towards the fridge.

“Um, do you know where my father went?” I question, as she pulls out many ingredients and set them down on the counter. She explains to me that my father and her husband, Yunkyum, went down to Soo Man High to work and that Yunkyum worked as football coach there.
 

That made a lot of sense.


She also told me that I had to start learning how to speak Korean. As if I didn’t know that already! I mentally roll my eyes as she spoke to me. I just think learning the basics of a new language will take a little more time than four weeks.

“Mom, are you cooking?” a sleepy voice called. In came the sleeping boy that I saw earlier! He had a hand was underneath his shirt, resting on his stomach and the other was scratching his soft-looking brown hair. His eyes squinted, still trying to adjust to all the bright lights in the house.

He was so tall and it made me wonder how old he was.

“Minho!” Soonbok looks up from the several pots and pans that were on the stove. How much food was she going to cook?

Minho walks towards her and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Mama’s boy, perhaps?

“Minho-ah, say hi to Mei.”

Minho’s head slowly turned towards me and I suddenly felt self-conscious. His brown orbs looked at me; “Hi.” His greeting was short and sweet.

I slowly wave to him, feeling shy as hell; “H-Hello.” His mother nudged him in the stomach with her elbow and hissed something in Korean. Minho frowns at her, shaking his head, but she glared and threaten him with her spatula.

Okay. . .

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. Their doorbell had an interesting ring. And what I mean by that is; it wasn’t just the simple ding dong. It rang for about five seconds.

“I’ll get that,” I volunteer, standing up. I scurried out of the kitchen towards the front door. When I opened the door, I came face to face with four other boys. The boys towered over my five foot one inch and half body (156.21cm).  I felt incredible small.

They all look at me a bit puzzled. Before I could say anything, Soonbok arrives whilst drying her hands on her apron.

“Boys, say hi to Mei! We are hosting her family!” she grins. She rested her hands on my shoulders and leaned her head on my own. “She’s from Texas!” She sounded as if she were boasting about me.

“Hello…” I wiggle my fingers at them.

“America?” One of the boys repeated, quite fluently I might add. He had pink, heart-shaped lips, black hair, and when he grinned at me he had very visible dimples. “I lived in America for a couple of years before!” He waved at me and stepped closer to me; “Hi, my name is Kibum.”

“Mei.” I grin. Just by looking at him, I could tell he was a friendly-cute, flower boy.

Another boy steps up and I took in his features too. His skin was very tan (I was surprised by this); his nostrils were a bit larger than the other three, his lips were full and red, and since he was wearing a tight black, tank top, I noticed his arms were very muscular. Very nice.

“No fair, Kibum, you speak almost perfect English.” He says and nudges Kibum aside. “Hello. I’m Jonghyun.” He holds out his hand for me to shake. He wasn’t fluent. No at all, but he still sounded cute.

“These two, who all of a sudden, can’t speak for themselves,” Kibum turns. “This is Jinki.” He points at the boy who had straight light brown hair and squish able cheeks. “Next to him is Taemin.” His finger found the boy right beside him. He had short, curly brunette hair, and thick lips. Jinki and Taemin shyly nod at me and I did the same back.

At that moment, Minho walks in with his arms crossed.

Soonbok turns and pinches Minho’s stomach; “You guys get situated. Once I’m finished cooking I’ll call you kids, alright?” She waggled a finger at us before disappearing into the kitchen again.

“Okay,” the five boys answered in unison.

Immediately after she left, the boys settle themselves onto the fancy-looking couches. Jonghyun and Kibum beckoned for me to sit in between them. I didn’t want to seem rude, so I did. The two of them seemed very nice and friendly compared to the other three. I thought maybe because of the language barrier that it was making it hard for them, but I wasn’t sure. I’m sure Minho spoke some English because of his parents, but all he liked to do was glare at me. He notices me staring at him and his nose scrunches up and his eyes found the TV again. Minho definitely seems like the cold type. I hate those types. Maybe he’ll change though, I mean – we are still strangers. If I got to know these boys more I’d probably be able to figure out how they really were.

I didn’t understand what the boys were watching, and I think Kibum and Jonghyun noticed that. They paid attention and interacted with me. They told me about themselves and the others boys too. Jinki was the eldest out of the five; he was seventeen and would be turning eighteen this December. Jonghyun was next; he had just turned seventeen this year, seeing that his birthday was back in April. Kibum and Minho were the same age; sixteen, however Kibum would be seventeen in September and Minho in December. Taemin was last; he had just turned sixteen in July. He’s basically my age. However, he’s still older since my birthday is in October.
Jinki and Jonghyun were going to be juniors, Minho and Kibum would be sophomores, and Taemin and I would be freshmen. Nice, I will at least know one person in my grade.

“I will be a freshman, just like Taemin.” I grin, glancing over at him. Taemin looked our way upon hearing his name. Kibum translates what I had said to him and he shyly smiles and gave me a thumb up in response.

“Boys and Mei!” Soonbok pokes her head inside the living room. “I made lots of food so come and eat!”

Seeing that everyone else got up and made their way into the kitchen I realize the food was ready.

At the dining table, I fiddled with my chopsticks. I had no idea how to eat with these stupid things. Back at home, I had tried to teach myself with two pencils but it wouldn’t work! I sigh in defeat and set them back on the table. “Um…” I mumble to myself, looking around for a spoon or fork.
Suddenly Jonghyun, who sat beside me, leaned over and used his own chopsticks to pick up a piece of meat off my side plate. “Ah!” he commands and holds it in front of my lips.

His lips have been on that and now he’s using it to feed me... Doesn’t he know that’s like, passing germs, or better yet – an indirect kiss!

“Ah!” he orders, pushing the meat closer and closer. I gave in and took it into my mouth. It tasted absolutely scrumptious! I was too busy freaking out about how good it tasted and forgot all about the indirect kiss we just shared.

 “Sorry, Mei, I forgot to put down the right utensils for you!” Soonbok says as she searched through her drawers to find a fork and knife for me.

“Thank you!” I say in Korean.

Soonbok clapped her hands, happily; “You’re pronunciation is so good!”

I felt good since I got praised.

“So what made you move to Korea, again?” Kibum questions me.

“My dad got a job at the school as the basketball coach,” I explain. “I’m really nervous that I’m going to be a new student especially since it’s going to be a different country and obviously things are going to be so different. Don’t worry you guys; I will try my best to learn the Korean language as quickly as possible so lunches like these won’t be so awkward.”

Kibum translates for everyone. Jonghyun begins to clap his hands and so does everyone else besides Minho. He was too immersed in his food.

Jonghyun says something with his mouth full. I couldn’t comprehend but it seems like everyone else did since they started laughing. I look at Kibum for help and he says; “Jonghyun says we’ll try and learn English for you too,”

Everyone starts eating again and I can’t help but glance at Minho. Why does he act like that? Sure, we’re still strangers but if I’m going to be living in his home for the time being he probably should start acting a little nicer.

 

 

/////

 

 

Before the other four boys left, Jonghyun and Kibum gave me their phone numbers. They told me (Well, Kibum translated) that if I ever need help with my Korean to call or text them.

Right now, I was cuddled in my warm, cozy bed with the English-Korean book Soonbok had given me. It taught me how to pronounce and write the Korean characters and in about fifteen minutes I had it all memorized. It was very easy.

I place the book aside and laid my head back, wanting to sleep.  But I couldn’t.

I was just really excited but also nervous about being here in Korea. I’ve already met people who could potentially be good friends of mine but now I want to do is meet my prince charming!