Four (Jongin POV)

Because we're family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So someone suggested I put ages at the start of a chapter so things are less confusing and I think it's a pretty good idea. Here we go:

Minseok and Luhan: 8
Joonmyun and Jongdae: almost 6
Baekhyun: 4
Chanyeol: almost 3
Sehun: 18 months

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

 

When Yixing had called him and asked if he could pick up Luhan for him after school and maybe watch him for an hour or two Jongin hadn’t thought twice about saying yes. It wasn’t that long ago that Yixing and Kris had had his kids and for the whole day so it wasn’t as if he could really say no. And it wasn’t as if Luhan was particularly hard work anyway. It was only after he’d ushered the kids through the door and been greeted by a frowning Kyungsoo that he’d realised he probably should have checked if it was okay with him first. And then ten minutes later he’d realised he probably should have checked the weather forecast too because looking out the window he could see rain clouds rolling in meaning he couldn’t just throw the kids out into the garden like he’d been planning to.  Luhan might be a nice kid but he did have a habit of using his outside voice indoors and he didn’t think that would help Kyungsoo’s stress levels any. And with only five weeks to go until his due date and the twins’ sixth birthday coming up at the weekend he had plenty of reason to be stressed as it was, he definitely didn’t need a houseful of overly loud kids making things worse for him.

But surprisingly, half an hour in and Minseok was doing a pretty good job of keeping everybody quiet. They’d been talking about families at school he’d told him after putting his shoes and school bag away and he’d asked if he could take the photo albums out and show Luhan some of their family pictures. Jongin at told him yes, he could take them out if he was careful and when the rest of the kids had noticed what they were doing they’d congregated round the dining table too. Even Sehun had toddled over to take a look which meant Jongin had had to pull up a chair and join them because being only a year old Sehun kind of needed a lap to sit on if he wanted to see anything at all. The only one who wasn’t interested was Chanyeol who was totally engrossed in building a train track at the other side of the room.

“That is…” he said slowly, peering at the picture Jongdae had just shoved under his nose. He was having a hard time working out just who it was he was looking at. The subject of the photograph was about two years old he guessed, their face was so thoroughly caked in blue icing though that it was almost impossible to make out their features. He was perched on Kyungsoo’s knee and while Kyungsoo looked pretty amused the child in question was frowning moodily up at the camera. Jongin bit his lip as he tried to work out which one of his sons would be most offended at having their picture taken like that. Having six children meant a lot of birthday parties and a lot of cake smeared faces but most of his kids would have been pretty proud of their handiwork. “That’s your brother.” He said at last as it finally came to him. “That’s Joonmyun at Minseok’s… fifth? Yeah his fifth birthday party.” They really needed to get their photos in some kind of order, jot down dates and names or something. All the pictures they’d taken of Minseok as a baby were incredibly organised but once the twins had come along that had all gone out the window, photos were thrown in the drawer once printed and added to an album whenever one of them had the time which wasn’t very often.

“It’s not me?” Jongdae sounded a little disappointed, he’d been searching through for pictures of him and only him and had so far only come across two. One of him at three months old, lying on the rug in front of the Christmas tree dressed as an elf (because if you didn’t dress up your kid as something embarrassing for their first Christmas what was the point?) and one of him fast asleep at the bottom stairs. It had been taken just after Chanyeol was born if Jongin remembered rightly, three year old Jongdae had thrown a fit when his grandparents had brought round presents for the new baby and not for him and Kyungsoo had sent him to sit on time out. Before his three minutes were up he’d been asleep, curled up in the corner of the stair he was sitting on with his thumb in his mouth. Jongin hadn’t hesitated to fetch the camera. Most of the pictures of Jongdae however also included Joonmyun, inevitable really since they were twins and if not Joonmyun then one of his other siblings, a fact Jongdae seemed a little put out about.

“Sorry, it’s definitely Joonmyun.” Jongin told him, pushing the album back across the table. “If it was you you’d be grinning at the camera not frowning at it.”

“Are you sure it’s me?” Joonmyun asked, leaning around Jongdae to get a closer look.

“I’m positive.” Jongin assured him. Okay so it taken him a minute to work it out but he could tell his own children apart.

“But why would I put cake on my face like that?”

And Jongin supposed that was a reasonable question. Joonmyun didn’t much like getting dirty, he never had. Unlike most of his brothers, well all of his brothers really other than Minseok, he wasn’t the type of kid to play in the mud or paint with his hands, he liked to keep clean if at all possible but before he could explain to him why he had icing all over his face when he was loathe to touch the stuff with his fingers Minseok beat him to it.

“You fell asleep,” He said, looking up from the album he and Luhan were pouring over to answer his brother, “and your face ended up in your plate. And Grandma t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter