Δ Ғαтɛғʋℓ ˩σʌɛ

A Fateful Love

I Love You [SNSD Taeyeon]

You & I [Park Bom]

 

"Ok. I'll wait for you guys here." Young Bae wrapped his arm around Yuri's waist as Ji Yong stood in front of them.

 

"Araso~ We'll be right back!" Ji Yong nodded and Yuri linked her arm with her brother, heading towards the jewellery store which was at the opposite side of the road.

 

 

Young Bae leaned against his car as he watched the sibilings made their way to the jewellery store. He smiled and waved as Yuri turned back to look at him, waving childishly at him. She was that innocent, that pretty. Ji Yong and Yoona had specifically custom-made their wedding rings and bands and so, Ji Yong, Young Bae and Yuri were there to collect them, while Yoona was trying on her wedding gown in the bridal store. Ji Yong wanted to give Yoona a surprise as Yoona didn't know that the rings would be ready that quickly. The jeweler had already stated that it would take at least two weeks to get it done and hence, she was a little disappointed. She wanted it to be done before the wedding, which was in a week's time. Since it wasn't achievable, they had no choice but to buy another replacement ring first. However, Ji Yong wanted to give Yoona the most memorable wedding. Hence, after dropping Yoona off, he went back to the store, begging for the jeweller to speed up his work. The jeweller was touched by his sincerity and allowed him to help out, so that the rings would be done faster. Luckily, everything was completed in just five days, much to Ji Yong's relief. Of course, that paid a price. Ji Yong's unknown scars on his arms were inflicted due to him being a novice at melting the metal used to make the ring.

 

 

Soon after, Ji Yong and Yuri came out of the jewellery store, holding up the bag for Young Bae to see. Young Bae, who was on the opposite side of the road, smiled. Ji Yong's hard work had finally paid off. He could totally imagine Yoona crying over this issue again. She would definitely be so touched. Ji Yong took the velvet box out and played around with it, showing a sign of triumph. With a fumble, he dropped the box on to the ground, causing it to roll to the side of the road. Both of them looked at each other and smiled playfully. Ji Yong shook his head as he walked towards the box. He bent down and picked the box up. Just then, a car came driving by, at fast speed towards his direction.

 

 

"OPPA! LOOK OUT!!"

 

 

And everything changed. In just a split second.

 

 

Yuri pushed her brother away from the oncoming vehicle. So, the car hit her.

 

Ji Yong, wasn't any way better off too. When Yuri pushed him away, his head was being knocked by the side of the car already. He too, fell onto the ground.

 

Young Bae, who witnessed the whole accident from the opposite side, was in total shock. He couldn't believe his eyes. He ran towards them.

 

 

"YUL!!!!"

 

 

On the other hand, Yoona heard her phone rang and picked up. Be it coincident or an omen, the loveknot that she and Ji Yong had made on her phone, dropped to the ground as she answered her phone. Her face became expressionless.

 

-----

 

"Yul, stay with me. Don't leave me.  You'll be fine. Don't fall asleep..." Young Bae held Yuri's hand tightly as she was being rushed into the surgery room. Yuri's hand was icy cold and she was breathing deeply. With the last look, Young Bae was forced to let go of Yuri's hand as he watched the surgery door closed coldly, taking Yuri away.

 

-----

 

After half an hour, the door was opened, only to see Yuri being pushed out, with the white cloth drapped over her entire body. Young Bae couldn't believed what was happening. The doctor just shook his head and sighed, leaving him there with his misery. He dragged himself towards the body, as he flipped open the cloth, revealing Yuri's pale and cold face.

 

 

"Yul ah... Stop joking will you? This is not funny... Come on, I know you won't leave me... Wake up... Wake up..." Young Bae forced a smile as he shook Yuri's arms gently. "Yah..Come on! Kwon Yuri!!" When Yuri didn't response, he shook harder, until the truth began to sink into him. He broke down as he hugged his lifeless girlfriend tightly, tears flowing out uncontrollably.

 

 

Yuri is never going to come back to life anymore.

 

-----

 

On the other hand, Ji Yong was awake and was talking to the doctor. He had his head bandaged up, sitting in the wheelchair as he listened intently. Soon after, the doctor too, left him with a sigh, as he sat there, not knowing what to do.

 

------

 

Ever since that day, Ji Yong began to distance himself away from Yoona. Yoona was totally clueless of what was going on. She thought Ji Yong was well and fine. She thought, perhaps, he was just mourning over his sister's death. Yoona was peeling an apple, but he just looked away, ignoring her. In fact, he was actually wiping something off from his nose without being noticed. No matter what Yoona do, he would just reject, avoiding her, pushing her away. As much as Yoona was disappointed and hurt, Ji Yong too, was hurting deeply inside. He just hoped that Yoona would be discouraged soon and leave him. The sooner, the better.

 

 

"Here.... It's turning cold already... The winter is near. Put on a jacket..." Just like any other days, Yoona took care of Ji Yong, putting a jacket over Ji Yong to keep him warm.

 

"Just go! Didn't you hear what I said?!! I want to be alone! You're so irritating!" Ji Yong took off the jacket and threw it on the ground coldly, turning away his wheelchair coldly, leaving her there all alone.

 

 

Young Bae was watching all these while. He was angry at Ji Yong's action. How could he treat Yoona like this? Where has the old Kwon Ji Yong gone to?

 

-----

 

It had been one week since Yuri's death. Young Bae visited her grave every single day, spending his time with her, talking to her. Just like any other days, he turned up in front of Yuri's grave, bringing her favourite flower, lillies. And her favourite swimming goggles. He made himself comfortable as he sat down on the field, in front of the grave, smiling brightly.

 

 

"I'm here again~ And I brought you 19 stalks of lilies~ Your favourite flower and number. Aren't you happy?" He smiled as he cleaned Yuri's picture. "And I had brought your goggles here for you! I know you must have missed them so much right? It had been ages since we last swam~ The weather is so freezing cold now. How are you doing up there? Are you well covered up? Well, if you want to know, I ain't doing fine here.... I miss you so much...." Young Bae sighed as he lied down on the field, looking up the sky.

 

 

Winter had arrived once again. But this winter, it was much colder than usual... Without Yuri by his side. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the cold breeze. At that instant, he could picture that Yuri was just right beside him, resting her head comfortably on his head, linking her arms with him blissfully. They used to have lots of fun together. Be it the hot summer, or the freezing winter. During summer, they would bask under the sun, or just simply swim around in the pool for half the day. Something that Yuri loved to do. And during winter, they would play snowball fight outside her house. Yuri always won because Young Bae was always busy ensuring that she was warmly covered up, not paying attention to the snowballs that she had thrown. With her around, the cold, freezing winter, seemed to be like any another summer day~ She was that cheerful. That warm. Just like the sun....

 

 

"Here to visit my sister again?" Young Bae's eyes flung opened as he heard the familiar voice. It was Ji Yong. He got up, helping Ji Yong to push his wheelchair towards Yuri's grave.

 

"My dongsaeng~ How are you doing? Mianhae. Oppa could only visit you today...." Ji Yong too, brought a bouquet of lilies for Yuri. He put it on the grave as he gave a smile to Yuri's picture. "The house is so quiet without you around... I miss your loud chatterings and chuckles..."
 

 

Young Bae figured out that it would be the best timing to question him now,given that Yoona was not present.

 

 

"Yah Kwon Ji Yong. I had been wanting to ask you this. What do you think you are doing? Why are you being so cold towards Yoona? Do you think Yul will want to see this? Do you think she would approve of the way that you are treating Yoona right now?" Young Bae told Ji Yong off as they stood in front of Yuri's grave. He turned Ji Yong's wheelchair to face him.

 

 

Ji Yong chose to remain silent and had his head down. After some time, he turned away, wiping something off his nose again. 

 

 

"Yah! I'm talking to you! What do yo..." Young Bae became upset as he turned Ji Yong to face him again. Ji Yong quickly tried to hide his hand away from him. He noticed that something was definitely wrong with him. He tried to force open Ji Yong's hand. Finally, Ji Yong gave in. Then he realised what Ji Yong was doing. Both of them looked at each other.

 

"Doctor says I have only a month left...." Ji Yong finally broke the truth to Young Bae. The cold, hard, truth.

 

------

 

Young Bae had been trying to convince Ji Yong to tell Yoona the truth, but he refused to do so. He thought that this was best for Yoona. Young Bae wanted to break the news to Yoona but was forever stopped by Ji Yong. He sighed. He couldn't fight it anymore. First, it was his beloved girlfriend that was going to leave him. And soon, his best friend would be leaving him too.... What about Yoona? She had always appeared to be strong on the outside. He knew her the best. She was vunerable deep inside her heart. He believed that she would not be able to accept the news later... He wanted her to know it, but, he respected Ji Yong's decision. At least, that was only what he could do for him now.

 

 

It was a month already... Ji Yong was spending the time alone under the big, shady tree that he and Yoona first met. Ever since after the accident, he had found himself coming here even more often than before, reminiscing about the past. He had picked up dairy writing, noting down his feelings and thoughts as he went through his days. Like any other days, he had managed to shake Yoona off and was writing on his dairy. As he write, his eyelids became heavier and heavier. With the last fullstop, he dropped his pen onto the ground, with his head bending down...

 

-----

 

Yoona rushed to the hospital as she received the call from Young Bae. By the time she reached the hospital, it was all too late... She didn't get to see Ji Yong one last time. Young Bae sighed as he passed her a letter. Ji Yong had instructed him before to pass this letter to her only after he passed away. That was one of the two favour that Ji Yong had asked him for. The other was also about Yoona. To take good care of her when he is not around anymore. Young Bae obliged and promised him. Yoona was shocked. She didn't know Ji Yong would leave her a letter. Finally, everything dawned on her. Ji Yong was just acting all the while. Her tears began to fall as she read the letter...

 

 

Dear Yoona,

 

First of all, I'm sorry. I really am. Sorry for letting you suffer for this past one month. I had once promised to take good care of you, to give you happiness. But I know, I had brought you only tears and sadness for the past one month. Sorry for leaving without a proper goodbye. Sorry for being a jerk. I know you had been crying alone these few weeks, but I chose to ignore it... I did all these just to make you forget me... I finally understand why you would always cry when you watch dramas which feature the boyfriends pushing their girlfriends away from them for their own sake... I used to think that it was dumb. But recently, I found that it wasn't. It was courageous instead... It would take all of their heart, to actually push the one you love, away from you... I found myself watching them and smiling when it was the sad parts. Not because it was funny of course. But because it reminds me of you. How you would always force me to watch those dramas with you and would always end up crying, wetting my shirt. I would miss that part totally. In fact, I would miss every part of you. Every part of us. Every part of the time we spent together. Me hugging you to sleep at night, you pouting whenever you failed in doing something, your crazy laughters with Yul, you sleep talking and finally, me kissing you goodnight... All these, would be kept close to my heart. Even until the day I close my eyes for eternity. These beautiful memories. But Yoona, all these are just part of your memories. Don't be afraid to make more of it. You has always been a strong girl. And I want you to continue remain as one. With or without me around. You can do it, Yoona. I believe in you. I love you, Im Yoona. Forever and Always.

 

Your Yobo,

Ji Yong.

 

PS: Of COURSE I had left something for you. A letter isn't just enough to say goodbye to you. Go look for a metal box under our shady tree. Remember, don't tear up once again!

 

------

 

Yoona's POV:

Indeed. I found the metal box under the huge tree when we first met. I swept away the soil on the cover and took the box out. I sat down under the shady tree and looked around. This was where we had our beautiful memories... Our first encounter. Our first kiss. His one and only proposal... It had been awhile since I last came here... Ever since the accident. But I knew that he has something installed for me. He always do. And I was right. He left me this. I stared at the box for a long while. Am I ready to do this? Ji Yong baby... Are you looking at me from above? I bet you are snickering at me right now... I took a deep breath and opened the box. True enough, there was a few belongings and a small diary. I flipped open the page and landed my gaze on the first page. It was his handwriting. The one that I missed looking at... The one that I would never ever get to see it anymore. What was left, was only the memories... I began reading it, with his gaze on me. I could feel him....

 

I continued reading and finally came to the last entry. The one that I had been wanting to read. I started reading slowly, taking note of each and every word, wanting to print them into my mind.

 

 

It has been a month... I guess, my time is almost up? I'm not grumpy. Nor am I upset. Alrights. Maybe I'm a little upset. Upset that my time spent with Yoona is too short.. Though I hadn't been treating her good for the past one month, I'm contented just to see her face every single day. That stubborn girl. No matter what how mean I was, she refused to leave me. Hopefully, she would be able to take it when I leave her... I would never want to see her crying for me. Especially when she cry alone...It just... It just pains my heart... Im Yoona, I really love you alot. You know right? Pabo, please don't cry ok? I'm not worth it for your precious tears. Saranghae...

-------

 

"Pabo, I love you too and the times we were together, are definitey worth the times I cried alone..." Yoona teared up a little as she read the final entry.

 

Yoona smiled as she closed the dairy and looked inside the box. Beside the dairy, there laid their wedding ring and bands. The one that Ji Yong had made it together with the help of the jeweller. She wiped away her tears as she slid the ring back into her finger, looking at the ring for a long long while, indulging in her past memories...

 

I would never ever forget you, Kwon Ji Yong... Love isn't always a fairy tale. There isn't always a happy-ever-after ending and we need not be together for eternity. The fact that we did fell heads over heels for each other, is already a blessing for me. We may be miles apart, but our heart, will always be intertwined together.... Now and Forever.