Who's that BOY?

MY FATHER'S APPRENTICE

   I love my father. Even though he was never the type of father who would carry me when we're outside, cradle me to sleep, be dorky in front of me. I know he loves me. At least that what my mother used to tell me. Yes, she used to tell me that. Before, you know, she passed away. Now, all I have is my father, and his, maids.  My father runs a Martial Arts School. He used to own it with his bestfriend, someone named Tuan. My mom knows him too, but I don't I wasn't even born when he left. This best friend later went to America. While my father is busy at work, I am alone at home with our maids. I'm an only child so, I'm lonely.

   We would meet every breakfast. I would say what I need that time because he always goes home late, when I am asleep..

  But today is different. I was told that my father wants me to stay at home today. They said he'll be home by lunch. Wait, does this mean I will get to have a bonding time with my father?! OMIGOSH!! I'm so excited!! I should be pretty before he comes home. He might take me out!!!!

   I quickly went to check my wardbrobe for a cute dress my father would like. After picking out my outfit, I took a bath. I thought of places I would want to go when he asks me. My friends tell me that their fathers ask them where they want to go during family days. The thoughts of going to amusement parks just added up to my excitement. When I got out of the bathroom, my maid offered to help me dress up.

  "No thanks, I want to show father that I can get myself ready so he would take me out frequently. Maybe he was not taking me oit is tha past because he doesn't want you to fuss over me. But thanks" I smiled at her.

  I wore regular house clothes first, I still have to fix my hair. I dried it up, had its tips curled and tied it in a ponytail with a ribbon. After fixing my hair, I wore the dress I picked earlier.

  I listened to music while waiting for my father. When I heard the gates of our house open, I looked out my window and saw my father's car. I hurriedly went downstairs to meet my father.

  "Appa!" I called up to him as I approached him. I stopped in front of him and he patted my head.

  "Where are you going? I told them not to let you go out. I want you to meet someone." he.said, not even letting me answer his question. 

  "Who?" I tilted my head in confusion. So that's why he wanted me to stay home, to meet someone. Not to go out, not to have fun.

  "Mark come here." father called him. A boy who is obviously older than me came in from father's back. He wore fitted jeans and a black shirt with black shoes, most importantly, his hair was red.

   "My gosh father, his head is bleeding!" I shrieked, pointing at his hair. They both laughed. The boy named Mark crouched down in front of me.

  "I'm fine, I just dyed my hair red." he said, patting my hair.

  " Myleen, I am his godfather and he's my apprentice. He'll be living with us from now on." father said. 

   "So we're godsiblings?" I asked, making up a word that would describe the two of us. 

  "Godsiblings? We could say that, that." Mark said.

  "That would be fine for now." father added.

   "Come on Mark, I'll show you the house." I offered. He followed me. I decided to do this because I wanted to do something for my father. He almost never rests, if I do this instead of him, he would be able to sit back and relax.

  "So Mark, where did you come from?" I asked the new boy. We were sitting on a bench at the garden.

  "I came from California. Our fathers are good friends because they both learned Martial Arts from one master. My father started a family and stopped Martial Arts. I came here because your father doesn't have a son to be his apprentice." he explained

   "Why can't I be his apprentice, I'm healthy and stong you know." I told him.

   "I wanted to do Martial arts. Maybe your father doesn't want to force it on you. What are your hobbies by the way?" he asked.

  "I like singing and dancing" I told him and smiled.

  "Can I hear your voice?" he asked. I sang for him. After singing, he clapped for me.

  "You have a beautiful voice" he complimented me with a smile.

  "Thanks" I said.

   I don't know why. I was afraid that time. My father barely noticed me in the past. What will happen now that he will be training an apprentice?