“I can’t work miracles.”

Stay Here for a While

The apartment door opened, revealing a face full of glaring Seokjin.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Am I not allowed to visit a friend outside of work?” Hoseok asked.

Hoseok let out a shaky laugh when Seokjin stepped aside to let him enter the apartment.

“Who is it?”

“Hoseok, again.”

“Sup,” Nam Joon waved from the couch, eyes glued to the television, “How was Pueblo?”

“Too far and full of Mexicans,” Hoseok laughed. He hung up his jacket but held on to his camera bag, “What are we watching?”

“Heroes marathon.”

“You know,” Seokjin walked over to the couch “when Jungkook comes back he’s going to steal the TV.”

“That’s why we’re watching right now,” Nam Joon didn’t look away, even as he tugged Seokjin onto his lap.

“Where is Jungkook?” Hoseok asked.

“He went to walk the dog with Taehyung,” Nam Joon answered.

“So Taehyung’s here?”

His tone must have been too happy because Seokjin glared at him again, “Yeah, why?”

Hoseok quickly faced forward, “No reason.”

He could still feel the intense gaze.

They only got through half of an episode when Jungkook walked through the front door with Taehyung laughing behind him.

“What did you two do?” Seokjin asked.

“Nothing,” they answered at the same time. Jungkook unhooked Kookie’s leash allowing the fully grown Samoyed to jump on top of the couch with the adults. Seokjin played with her face while Nam Joon tried to look over her waving tail. After getting hit in the face three times, he gave up and slumped back on the couch.

“Hoseok, what are you doing here?” Taehyung asked.

“I just got back from Pueblo and I wanted to see Nam Joon’s face since I missed it so much,” Hoseok pinched Nam Joon’s cheek.

“That’s gross,” Jungkook scrunched up his nose, “besides you were here on Monday.”

“He was here on Tuesday too,” Seokjin cooed while playing with Kookie’s face.

“Do you want to watch Walking Dead?” Jungkook asked, “I haven’t watched the last three episodes.”

Nam Joon grimaced. Hoseok answered “Sure, let’s watch Daryl in action.”

“Actually, Hoseok, didn’t you almost get a degree in Organic Chemistry?” Seokjin asked. Kookie followed him to the kitchen.

“Yeah, why?”

“Jungkook failed his last chemistry quiz, could you tutor him?” Seokjin asked.

“Jin,” Jungkook whined, “we can do that later.”

“Don’t blame me when your mom starts yelling at you through the phone, and forces you to move back in with her.” Seokjin filled up Kookie’s food bowl.

Jungkook sneered but came back a minute later with his chemistry textbook and notes from lecture. Nam Joon propped up his feet on the coffee table so Jungkook and Hoseok had to work in the kitchen, where Seokjin was showing Taehyung how to make lasagna. Hoseok’s eyes darted to Taehyung’s back every five minutes.

~~

Taehyung sighed as he sat on top of Seokjin’s desk. He crumpled up the paper in his hand, threw it, and missed the recycling bin by half a foot. He sighed again.

“Is there a problem with the custody case?” Seokjin asked, he didn’t look up from his computer where he was diligently typing.

“The Aunt was arrested for possession of drugs when she was in high school. She has to be tested before we can continue,” Taehyung groaned.

“There, there,” Seokjin reached into one of the desk drawers, again without looking away from his computer screen, and held up a jar of chocolates to Taehyung, “this will make you feel better.”

Taehyung smiled. “Thanks,” he took two.

“No problem,” Seokjin left the chocolates on the desk.

At that moment, Ah Young walked up to them with a worried expression on her face, “Seokjin, which file has marital status for Bradbury’s clients?”

“On your desktop there is a shortcut to the intranet files. Open that and Bradbury’s folder should be near the top. Inside that will be a file labeled clients, search through their until you find the name of said client and all of their information will be there” Seokjin explained.

She blew out a puff of air before smiling in relief, “Thanks, I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“No problem,” Seokjin didn’t look away from his screen as he waved her off. Her hot pink heels clacked as she walked off.

Taehyung took two more chocolates from the jar, “You run the whole office.”

“You should tell Mr. Johnson that, maybe he’ll give me a raise.”

“I can’t work miracles.”

Seokjin finally pulled away from his monitor to look at his phone screen. He scanned the message, then quickly typed his reply.

“Taehyung, what are you doing for the holidays?”

“My parents are flying to Bora Bora,” Taehyung puffed up his cheeks in annoyance, “so I was thinking pizza and a movie? Maybe buy Jimin a present?”

Seokjin smiled at him, “Why don’t you and Jimin come over? We’ll have a Christmas party and a gift exchange.”

“And karaoke?”

“Of course.”

“Sounds like fun,” Taehyung reached his hand in the jar.

Seokjin slapped Taehyung’s hand, and glared as hid the jar under his desk again, “Perfect, I’ll tell Nam Joon he can invite Yoongi and Hoseok.”

“If Hobi’s coming I better pack extra clothes,” Taehyung teased.

“Stop bringing that up, he really is sorry about spilling wine on you,” Seokjin already turned back to his computer screen.

“But Jin, his face turns bright red every time.”

“Go back to work,” Seokjin reprimanded.

Taehyung laughed, but heeded him and walked over to his cubicle.

~~

Wednesdays were for going to Tony’s bar with Yoongi, after being refused by Nam Joon, where they would drink the work stress away, while complaining about the rest of their work for the week. Hoseok would stop drinking after three beers, because Yoongi knew his limit yet still continued until he was red faced and needed Hoseok’s help to get into the car. Hoseok didn’t mind. Yoongi’s best comments were made when his words slurred together. And whenever his drunken rants were brought up, he would laugh awkwardly and quickly change the subject. It was one of Nam Joon and Hoseok’s favorite games in the office. Who could make Yoongi more uncomfortable? Nam Joon usually won, because he had stories and photos from his and Yoongi’s college years.

But on Thursdays, Tony’s was Hoseok’s. So that he could drink in the smoky atmosphere of the club and talk casually with his favorite barkeeper. And capture the essence of the club behind a lens.

“You always carry that bulky thing,” the barkeeper laughed.

Hoseok snapped a shot of the vodka bottles behind the counter, “Of course, this baby is my life.”

“It almost wasn’t.”

“True,” Hoseok smiled, “three years wasted on chemistry. Good thing I took that photography class.”

“And now you’re the paparazzi.”

“Yeah, paparazzi,” Hoseok scrolled through his camera roll, where photos from last week’s Christmas party were saved. He had a few of Yoongi passed out on the couch. One photo was a close up of Kookie’s face, when she jumped in front of Jimin’s solo shot. There were a few consecutive shots of Nam Joon’s too big smile when looking at Seokjin, then tackling him into the couch. More than half of them were just shots of Taehyung’s box smile.

~~

They say that the sky is darkest just before dawn. That saying works both ways, because after high noon, the day can only get dimmer.

Nam Joon walked into the office looking like perpetual rain.

 “You look like ,” Yoongi said.

Hoseok snapped a photo.

“Not in the mood, guys,” Nam Joon placed his briefcase down on his desk.

Hoseok took another photo. Nam Joon pushed the camera, “Get that thing out of my face.”

“Not until you explain those dark eyes,” Hoseok answered.

“Again not in the mood.”

His bad mood persisted. He snapped at his editor when he was asked about his article, and made the poor intern cry.

“So what’s wrong,” Yoongi asked.

Nam Joon glared.

“Fine, don’t tell us,” Yoongi held up his hands in surrender.

Hoseok placed a box down on Nam Joon’s table, “For Seokjin’s headaches. I called my grandma, she said this tea works best.”

Nam Joon looked at the box, he attempted a smile, “This might not live up to his standards. He take his tea seriously.”

“Nam Joon…”

Nam Joon broke down. He explained how Seokjin had cancer, Acute Myelogenious Leukemia, AML. He had less than two years to live. Seokjin had a definite end date.

Nam Joon buried his face in his hands.

Hoseok his back, convinced him to leave early. Yoongi explained everything to their editor. One look at Nam Joon was enough to convince him. So Nam Joon left early. Some young intern got to write a filler piece as a replacement for the column. And Yoongi and Hosoek were left sitting in their cubicles to think about mortality, and how life was unfair to good people.

~~

There was actual sunlight this morning, unlike the snow flurries that had persisted the past few days. The sun mocked Taehyung. Or maybe it’s making up for all the sunny days Seokjin was going to miss. Either way, the world should reflect his mood. Or everyone should just feel the same way or damn it why wasn’t the sky sad? Doesn’t it know? Doesn’t everybody know? Why don’t they know? Shouldn’t they care? Don’t they know that Taehyung’s best friend is dying? Apparently not….

Taehyung buried his face under the blanket covers.

The door bell rang. Taehyung didn’t answer it.

It rang again. Taehyung heard shuffling and a door opening. 

He heard Jimin’s muffled voice calling out to him. Taehyung groaned as he got up, he carried the blankets with him.

“Someone’s here for you,” Jimin groaned.

Taehyung peeked out from under the blanket, only to find Hoseok at the doorway. His smile was too wide. How was he so happy? How was the world still turning?

“Hobi, what are you doing here?”

“Taking you out, it’s too nice to stay inside all day,” his smile somehow got wider.

Taehyung pulled the blanket over his face, “Go away.”

“Not without you.”

Taehyung groaned.

Hoseok pulled up the blanket so that they were looking eye to eye, “Please Taehyung?”

“Please Taehyung,” Jimin echoed, “I have papers to grade.”

“Fine,” Taehyung whined, “Give me a few minutes.”

“I’ll be here.”

Ten minutes later, Taehyung was in the hallway wearing the first sweater he saw with his hair left unkempt. Jimin shoved him into Hoseok and closed the door behind them. Taehyung stepped back, he slid on his oversized parka.

“Where we going?” he asked.

Hoseok shrugged, “Do you want to see a movie?”

“Which one?”

“Whichever one is starting when we get there.”

The movie was terrible but Hoseok yelled at the characters and waved his arms every time he spoke. The family in front of them kept glaring, Hoseok didn’t notice, though Taehyung did tug on his shoulder after an especially loud string of profanities. Hoseok looked around, noticed the children in front of them, and shut up. For five minutes. Later, Taehyung won’t remember the name of the movie, but he’ll remember Hoseok sulking at the end credits.

Taehyung didn’t smile, but he didn’t stop Hoseok when he threaded their fingers together. And he let him pay at Cold Stone Creamery, any season was a good season for ice cream, Hoseok had insisted. And maybe Taehyung smiled when one of the gummy bears from Hoseok’s spoon got stuck on his face.

“You’re a messy eater,” Taehyung said as he peeled the gummy bear from Hoseok’s face and ate it.

Hoseok’s face reddened, “I’m sorry about spilling wine on your shirt.”

“I forgave you for that a long time ago.”

“I still feel bad about it, I made a terrible first impression,” Hoseok didn’t meet his gaze.

Taehyung sighed, “I don’t really care about that right now.”

“You feeling better?” Hoseok asked.

“A little,” Taehyung shrugged, “it’s still hard to accept…”

Taehyung felt water pool in his eyes.

Hoseok pressed a napkin to his face, “Hey, let’s not start that again.”

“I’m sorry,” Taehyung dabbed at his eyes, “Thank you for driving me home the other night.”

“No problem,” Hoseok swirled the half melted ice cream, “Do you want to talk about it?”

Taehyung thought of Jin, and how he would be repulsed at the puddle of ice cream in the bowl. He shook his head, “Not yet.”

“That’s what Nam Joon said when I asked him.”

“How is he doing?” Taehyung asked.

“Not very well, he’s – he walks around like there’s a storm cloud following him. I don’t blame him, but he keeps making the intern cry. Poor Junhong can’t handle his criticism,” Hoseok attempted a laugh.

Taehyung half smiled. At least he was trying.

The drive back was filled with the radio, and Hoseok insisted on walking Taehyung up to his apartment. He fidgeted at the door. “We should do this again.”

“Hobi, I don’t think-”

“Taehyung please. I think it’s a good idea,” Hoseok looked at him with wide eyes, “I’ll take you out every weekend. And you won’t forget Seokjin’s cancer, but at least you’ll have a distraction from it. And I’m not going to stop until I get an actual smile from you.”

Maybe this is what Taehyung needed, he numbly nodded his head, “I’ll see you next week.”

Hoseok’s face broke in to a smile, a full toothy grin, and he said, “5 o’clock Saturday, I’ll pick you up from here.”

With one final wave, he was gone.

~~

In the office, Hoseok could feel Nam Joon’s negative energy spilling over the walls of the cubicle. Hoseok would try consoling him, would send him ridiculous snapchats or paper planes over their walls, but it didn’t do much. Emotionally stunted Yoongi was no help at all.

Yoongi walked into Nam Joon’s cubicle.

Nam Joon glared at him.

Yoongi made a few vague hand gestures, “There are things um… I’ll do them myself.” He ran off.

At least Nam Joon wasn’t making the intern cry anymore. Junhong continued his slave duties in peace, while carefully avoiding eye contact with Nam Joon.

Hoseok popped his head into Nam Joon’s cubicle, “Here peanut M&Ms.”

Nam Joon caught the bag, “What’s this for?”

Hoseok shrugged, “It’s Thursday.”

Nam Joon half smiled, progress, “Thanks.”

Hoseok returned the smile, “You’re welcome.”

It’s a slow process, but maybe everyone would heal.

~~

After staring at his phone for ten minutes, Taehyung finally texted Seokjin a good luck message. Today was Tuesday, the third Tuesday of the month, which, according to the calendar on Seokjin’s desk, meant he wasn’t in the office, and was receiving chemotherapy instead.

Ah Young had taken to asking Taehyung for help. Her trips were becoming more and more infrequent, to Taehyung’s surprise, but there were still those days. Taehyung didn’t mind. He’d rather her come to him than go to Seokjin with the look of pity in her eyes.

Normally Taehyung would ride with Seokjin to work, but these days he had to find a different method of transportation

Taehyung’s phone vibrated. He checked the message before packing up his things and leaving the office.

In the employee parking lot, Hoseok thrummed his fingers against the steering wheel. His face lit up when he saw Taehyung, no Taehyung did not smile back, shut up, and handed him the bouquet of roses he had sitting in the passenger's seat. “What’s the occasion?” Taehyung asked.

“It’s Tuesday,” Hoseok answered.

“And?”

“Can’t I buy you flowers on a Tuesday?” Hoseok smiled at Taehyung before starting the car.

Taehyung buried his face in the roses. Maybe, he could hide his blushing face among all the red.

Hoseok saw it, of course he saw it, and proceeded to tease Taehyung throughout the whole dinner. Taehyung retaliated. He threw napkin balls at Hoseok when the waiters weren’t looking, and stole his shrimp when he wasn’t looking. And he smiled, unwittingly he shared his box smile with Jung Hoseok.

Hoseok ordered one tiramisu, but asked for two forks. Taehyung gave him a pointed look. Hoseok smiled sheepishly. “So cheesy,” Taehyung laughed. He took the other fork, but still laughed the whole time. Most of the cake ended up on Hoseok’s face. The only explanation they offered the waiter, “It’s Hobi’s fault.”

Hoseok may still have the mind of an adolescent boy, but he was honest. And Taehyung found the random texts he sent during the day endearing. And that too wide toothy grin was charming. And even his messy eating habits were adorable. And maybe now when Hoseok reached for his hand, Taehyung would squeeze it tightly and feel his cheeks heat up.

This time when Hoseok walked him to the door, Taehyung was bold enough to keep Hoseok’s hand and press a chaste kiss to his lips.

“Thanks for dinner,” he smiled.

Hoseok stumbled with his words before managing to say, “No problem.”

And Taehyung kissed him once more before entering his apartment and closing the door behind him. He heard Hoseok shout in the hallway, heard Kookie bark because of Hoseok’s shout, and heard Jungkook come out of his apartment and shout back at Hoseok.

“Really,” Taehyung smiled, “only Hobi.”

 


AN: Now I'm conflicted when writing, because Taehyung and Hoseok's relationship didn't start until after Seokjin was diagnosed with cancer. So all of their cute moments happen while the Namjin couple is getting sad :(

On the plus side, Taehyung and Hoseok are adorable. <3