Meeting Her

A New Kind of Swing

When he had accepted the offer he really hadn't thought about what his sister would say, or what his best friend would say once the announcement was seen. The only things he really only thought about were what his fans would think, and if he could go it without the fear of stepping on whoever he was partnered with's foot and possibily break it, but when the obnoxious ringtone that the younger man placed on his phone broke the silence of his living room he was forced to think about the younger man. He sighed and placed his laptop softly on the table in front of him that previously had been occupied by his sock covered feet before shuffling over and picking the phone up. Usually the stupid device was placed in the kitchen, it's loud shrilling ringing and annoying people on the other line far away as he  worked on his new book.

 

"Hello Jonghyun." 

 

"How were you going to go on my all time favorite show and not even think to tell me about it?" Jinki rolled his eyes at the man's exasperated tone of voice. "I had to learn it from the internet Jinki. From the internet! What kind of best friend are you?"   

 

"One that has a job to do." The older man commented offhandedly as he stared at the different colored specks of his marble counter top. "Besides. It's only your favorite show because your girlfriend is on it." 

 

"I liked it before Taeyeon." The younger man mumbled. "I'm pulling up now. Open the door." The phone call was ended, but not before Jinki's deep groan could be heard. Why the hell he had told them it was okay for them to date was beyond him, but he had, and his ballroom dancer little sister would have his head for not telling her sooner once she found out.

 

He flipped the lock on the back door, and returned to his living room to save what he had written. When he heard the soft clacking of heels on his hardwood floors he rose an eyebrow and called out, "Jonghyun? Did you get into my sister's waredrobe again?" 

 

"JINKI!" He heard the man's distance whine of his name, which wasn't surprising, but he heard the soft muffled laughter of a woman. 

 

A moment later his younger sister could be seen walking into the living room. Her short cut hair was slightly curled around her thin face, lips the same bright red as her heels and her dress softly swayed around her thin legs. "Sorry to dissapoint you brother."

 

Jinki smiled; walking over to her and bringing her into a soft hug. "You're much prettier than Jonghyun my Lil Tae." 

 

The girl scowled slightly. "I haven't been little in years." 

 

"You are to me." He just poked her nose, "And if you don't  stop scowling you'll get wrinkles." 

 

The young woman just continued to scowl at him as he softly sat on his plush couch before forcing herself to stop, because in her line of work wrinkles were never a good thing. "So you thought you could just accept to be on the show I'm on and I had to find out from my boyfriend instead of you big brother. Mind telling me why?" 

 

"Because I have 3 chapters due to my editor in 2 weeks and it's not that big of a deal?" Jinki leaned back against the plush couch cushion and placed his palms on his knees as he looked up at his younger sister. 

 

He looked around her when he heard his bestfriend rumaging around in his kitchen. "Hey Jinx do you have any -" His question trailed off as his voice became muffled, and the owner of the house rushed to stop him from destroying more than he already had.

 

"Yah!" Jinki walked in to see Jonghyun laying on the floor tossing bags and boxes of snacks out behind him. The younger man looked up at him with wide eyes, and in the process knocking over other boxes and crushing the snacks that littered the floor. " Stop being such a damn puppy and get off my floor. You know, after you clean this mess up."

 

"But Hyung!" The man whined, but Jinki just glared at him before tossing a broken cracker at his head. 

 

"The broom is over there and you should know where the trash can is."  He glanced at the clock and silently groaned. There was a reason that the first chance he got he had moved out and bought his own place. Jonghyun was loud, and though he loved the younger man to bits, he needed the quiet, soft life that living alone gave him. He turned to his sister, who just happened to walk in then, and he glared. "You come here to basically scold me for accepting the offer without taking to you, and I end up scolding your dog of a boyfriend. I need to be working Tae. So please give me all your anger and take this tornado home." 

 

Taeyeon took a seat at the kitchen aisle and began to eat the plate of chocolate chip cookies, completely unphased by her older brothers irritatated tone. " I'm not mad at you exactly. Curious.. yes, a little hurt maybe, but more than that I'm just wondering how you think you are going to dance."

 

Her brother was looking down at Jonghyun when he replied softly. "I was your partner for a couple years. I'm not completely ignorant of ballroom dancing."  

 

"If you say so, but if I remember correctly you stopped being my partner because you kept stepping on my feet." 

 

Jinki sighed as Jonghyun walked over to the trash can to throw away his mess, before turning back to his sister. "Honestly it was because I wanted to write instead of spending hours practicing." He walked over and kissed his sisters cheek before motioning to the door. "Now, I'll see you thursday for Lunch, and Jonghyun I'll be at your appartment tomorrow for breakfast. Know that I love you both so please don't take this the wrong way, but get the hell out of my house."

 

"But Jinki!" Jonghyun whined once again as the older man gently pushed him toward the door.

 

"Out." Jinki shoved him out the open door, and stepped aside to allow his sister to walk around him. She smiled softly and kissed his cheek before following her boyfriend out.

 

Jonghyun was pouting as he climbed into the car, but as Taeyeon pulled out of the driveway he rolled down the window and yelled out with a big smile. "Love ya Jinxies!" 

 

Jinki rolled his eyes but a smile was on his face nonetheless. Jonghyun was messy and loud, but he was sweet and a great best friend most of the time. With a shake of his head and a flick of a lock he was walking back into his living room to finish the chapter he was working on. 

                    xoxox

 

 A month later when he was being led to the practice room to meet the pro dancer he was partnered with Jinki had to admit to himself that he was nervous. The camera crew was following him, the cameras off until they got to the room and they would go in before him to catch the first meeting. It wasn't that he was nervous about being on tv, because he had done various interviews for his books, but the actual meeting of the woman he would be dancing with was making his stomach twist in knots.  

 

He was never good with woman, which was probably why he was nearly 30 and hadn't had a serious girlfriend, or one of any kind, in almost 6 years. Maybe it was something about his physical appearance that turned women away, or maybe the things he said, but all he knew is that they seemed to never even think about giving him a second glance. 

 

First impressions were almost everything, and if he screwed this one up it would be caught on tape, and shown on national television. Talk about embarrassment. The door was openned and the crew disappeared around it. Jinki waited a moment; running his fingers through his red tinted hair and wiping his hands on his pants to make sure they weren't sweaty for when he shook he woman's hand, and then pulled open the door.

 

Standing in the middle of the room was a very tall, very pretty, woman. Her big eyes were looking toward the door with anticipation; a smile was slowly forming on her lips as he moved further into the room. Once the door was slowly shut behind him and she could get a real good look at who he was, a huge grin, that Jinki could only decribe as pretty, spread across her face as she rushed over to him and pulled him into a hug. 

 

After a moment she let him go, and backed away; both of them had a slight color to their cheeks. She coughed then, running her thin fingers through her shoulder length dark hair. "Uh, Hi. I'm Choi Minjung. I'm sorry about uh, attacking you. I'm just a really huge fan of yours." 

 

Every single greeting and intellegent sentences he had thought of before coming in here flew out of his mind quicker than they had been thought up as he so intellegently asked, "What? You actually know who I am?" 

 

The girl, Minjung Jinki reminded himself, giggled softly at that behind her hand. "Of course I do. I've read all your books. I'm such a huge fan of yours Lee Jinki." 

 

"Hmm, and to think I thought no one would even know who I was on this show." He flashed her a smile.

 

"I'm so glad I got you as my partner." 

 

"Are you sure you don't want someone more.. hmm what's the word.. taller?" He said it as a joke, and when she looked at him with wide panicked eyes he regreted ever saying it, but then she shook her head and bit her lip and he had to say she was absolutely beautiful. 

 

"No! You're perfect!" She blurted; covering with her hands as she already big eyes widened. "I mean for this, dancing I mean." 

 

He nervously laughed and ran fingers through his hair. "Uh hehe we'll see won't we?"  Then the cameramen left, saying that what they had was enough, and silence was what greeted the two after the door was closed once again. A moment later the woman sneezed, and when Jinki said bless you she broke into a fit of giggles. He looked at her bewildered, which only made her laugh harder. "What.. what's wrong?"

 

"It's just.. I told myself that I would be all nice and professional, and not a blubbering idiot. Now I'm going to look like a fangirl on nationial tv." 

 

"If it makes you feel better I told myself that I wasn't going to be awkward, but I was." He tried to give her a reassuring smile. "So, you've really read all my books?"

 

"Yea, every single one of them." She said with a bashful smile. She then glared slightly, "And I do not appreciate the pain you put me through when Onew died." 

 

She glared all the more when the author began to laugh, hard, and he only stopped once she came over to slap his shoulder. "Sorry.. I just. Do you know how much hate I got for that? Ah I love messing with you all." 

 

"You are evil Oppa." But there was an unmistakenable glint in the girl's dark eyes, and when her lips spread into a smile he knew he was done for. 

 

"So, what dance do I have to learn first?" 

 

"Oh. How are your hip moving skills?" She said with a slight smirk, her eyebrow raised as she placed her hands on her hips.

 

He groaned. She laughed.

 

And he didn't really mind it.