Part 2

Mulan

This is completely different from the second instalment of Mulan.

Inspired and suggested by bogusbabe! Thank you!

I just simply love the idea that I went on to write it. :)

Hope y'all enjoy this update!


“When are you getting married?”

Sandara choked on her rice, and started coughing madly that her hands start to flail. Her grandmother eases her out of the uncomfortable state by making her drink water while she rubbed her back. Soon enough, her coughing stopped and grandmother went back to her spot beside Sanghyun.

“What makes you say that?” Sandara asked as casual as she can get. In truth, she badly wanted to have a boyfriend, get married, and have kids. Of course, being a hated by boys since she was a child caused her to be frustrated with love, and to top it all up, her father died and Sanghyun refuses to show his love through words. How beautiful would it be for her to feel embarrassed, flustered and tingly with a man.

Sanghyun placed his head on top of his interlaced fingers, looked at her, and said, “I mean, surely after being the Hero of South Korea, you have garnered yourself some suitors.”

Grandmother now looked interested with the talk, as she put her tea down hastily and suggested, “Then what about Kwon Jiyong?”

Sandara found herself blushing and shaking her hands in front of her while denying, “No, we’re not anything. We’re just friends.”

“If I were you, I won’t talk that quickly about the relationship with the person I like.” Sanghyun commented, lazily but he was somewhat amused with his sister’s reaction. Sandara felt her face burn hotter and she qucikly chill them using her hands.

Mother smiled behind her cup of tea, and said, “But why he would come over every day if the two of you are just friends?”

“Mom!” Sandara felt her face burn even hotter and said, “I told you that he isn’t courting me!”

She was so caught up defending her relationship with her former captain that she found herself standing up from her spot. Sandara looked at the other side and said, “I’m sorry. I-I—“ She closed her eyes and started to the door. “I should get going to the marketplace.”

Grandmother worriedly and reluctantly said, “Okay then, dear.”

Sandara walked out of the tea room in her pink hanbok as she raise it up a couple of centimeters up so she could walk freely, and started to undress herself on the hallway as she slowly reach her room. She didn’t care about manners anymore and just stripped until she’s in her normal clothes: black pants and a simple shirt. Before going out of the house, she left her hanbok in her room. Oddly, even though they live like in Joseon era, people have adopted to modernity. They can wear different kinds of clothes outside and just wear hanbok on occasions, inside the house and if issued by the government.

Sandara wore her shoes and finally walked the expanse of their front yard, crossing the pond her mother always liked, the stables—where An was whinnying loudly—and finally the marble archway that leads to the road.

“Ahhh!” She shouted loudly and felt her heart going to escape from her chest. In front of her, and suddenly popping out from the side, was none other than the person she doesn’t like to see today—Kwon Jiyong.

He looked shock himself upon seeing her but quickly regained himself, and smiled at her brightly. Sandara stared at him for a few seconds before realizing she haven’t greeted him. Frantically, she finds her voice and said, “A-Ah, good afternoon!”

Jiyong smiled at her and bowed his head slightly. “Good afternoon.”

Sandara pointed outside with her index finger and said, “I am going to the marketplace today.”

“Oh.” He said and then, smiled. “Then I’m going with you.”

Sandara felt her face burn and reluctantly, she nodded. Though he has been nice a couple of times, this was the first time he volunteered to come with her.

~

It was April and the Cherry blossoms have went into full bloom for Spring. Sandara reached her hands to the flowers and her fingertips brush onto their petals, sending her comfort.

It’s not a date. She told herself countless of times so she wouldn’t ending up hoping. Jiyong was just accompanying her because she said she was going.

Feeling a little awkward with their situation, she tried stirring up a conversation. “So how’s being the new General? You must’ve girls lining up for your hand.”

Jiyong laughed heartily and denied, “Sadly, being a General brings you no brownie points, and I should be asking the same to you. You’re the Hero of South Korea. You must’ve had suitors.”

Sandara thought that he was lying. Kwon Jiyong is always favoured by girls even if he’s no General. Even today she could see, in just his casual clothes, Jiyong could effortlessly make girls turn around to him. Her new title could have changed the town’s view of her but sadly it didn’t, and she’s still stuck to being the weird noble lady.

“Top’s enjoying his job as the new Captain though. He likes ordering the new recruits around so they could experience what he experienced.” Jiyong continued. “And he’s still pretty head-over-heels for Bom Noona.” He paused for a second. “What about you?”

“The townspeople never really liked me and they never changed even after I became the Hero of South Korea. Though there are times where I feel someone is watching us back at home.”

Jiyong quickly put his guard up at the mention of it, and walked closer to Sandara, so close their shoulders are touching. The latter seem to take the gesture lightly but she can’t help but feel tingly with the action until they have successfully went to the fruit stand so she could buy the watermelons for batting. She grabbed the biggest one, knocked on it and said to Jiyong, “Why do you keep on visiting us, though? Don’t you have anything to do?”

“I’m visiting you.” Jiyong nonchalantly answered. Sandara felt her face burn as red as the inside of a watermelon, and as she handed the fruit to the vendor, she found the former smirking at her. The vendor began to tie it up with straw.

“I mean, why wouldn’t I visit you? I’ve told you before, haven’t I, that I will be like your older brother. I don’t want to break such promise.” He continued, smiling at her and Sandara found her hopes go down. Jiyong reached up for the watermelon before she could and he held it for her.

This would have made her bashful but today was different. She just got into the siblingzone. Of course, Jiyong had always wanted to be her father’s son and their conversation back then in the lake is a proof that he wanted to be a family member.

Just a family member.

And as they walk, the conversation died down along with Sandara’s hopes.


Sandara completely shut down all the conversation by merely agreeing, denying and not replying. Jiyong found out that she’s not in the mood to talk after a few tries of stirring up a conversation and clearly shut his mouth off.

Sandara felt the awkwardness instead stirring up between them and she doesn’t care anymore. She’s been dumped by the person she badly wanted the most to make her feel what is like falling in love, and that itself is a reason for her to stop.

They have finished shopping and are now walking home when Sandara heard her name being called. She looked up and saw the ever so handsome and angelic face of Lee Donghae. Even if he’s from a line of politicians, he’s walking alone in the marketplace without any servant with him, and in his hand was a big basket full of goods.

He ran up to her, his hair being swept by wind and Sandara caught her breath. He was just simply handsome.

Donghae caught his breath when he reached her and Sandara heard Jiyong muttered, “He’s pretty weak.”

Donghae had regained his breath quickly and looking up, he flashed Sandara a blinding smile. “I knew you’re different. My mother just judges differently.”

Sandara smiled back and answered, “Who are you even?”

She was shock and had covered , but quickly realized it was Jiyong who spoke and his voice had simply just overpowered hers. Donghae, without trace of any competition in the dragon’s voice, straightened himself and offered his hand. “Lee Donghae.” He started introducing, smiling. “Heir of the Lees and Sandara’s future husband.”

Sandara could not help but blush with Donghae’s words. Him telling Jiyong that he’s her future husband is like her telling Jiyong she likes him. Jiyong didn’t shake Donghae’s hand, and the latter crumpled it before placing to back to his side. “You’re one cold man.” He commented, smiling.

“I don’t like you either.” Jiyong replied, his voice giving out shivers.

Donghae smirked. “Oh I can see a different fire in your eyes, Captain.”

It was so sudden, Sandara froze in her spot. Jiyong grabbed Donghae’s collar and lifted him up in the air. The latter only grabbed Jiyong’s hand but even though he was lifted, he looked at him with molten fury.

“It’s General to you, Lee Donghae.” Jiyong said, every syllable emphasized.

“Stop it!” Sandara shouted and Jiyong quickly released Donghae from his grasp. “You both are already twenty-five! At least act like one!”

“Donghae-yah!”

Sandara whipped her head fearfully at the sound of the familiar high-pitched, withheld voice, and saw Mrs. Lee walking up to them in her hanbok. Of course, she’s the wife of a famous politician, and she’s one of the few who really live up to their status by wearing hanboks.

Her face brightened up at the sight of Sandara but the latter’s face did the opposite. Sandara quickly hid half of her body behind Jiyong.

Mrs. Lee grabbed both of Sandara’s hands in utter fervor and said, “I’m so proud of your attainment, Sandara, and I am so proud to be your mother-in-law! If you would like, you can go to our place with your family to have some tea, and maybe talk about the wedding?”

“Mom, I haven’t even asked for her hand yet.” Donghae said, rubbing the back of his head and quickly apologized, “Sorry Dara for my mother.”

Sandara shook her head and reluctantly smiled. “No, it’s fine.” She said, but actually Donghae’s mother is getting in her nerves.

“Mom, let’s go!” Donghae said, now forcefully pulling his mother with him. Mrs. Lee reluctantly gave her goodbyes and went on with her son.

Sandara looked up and saw that Jiyong had his arms crossed with his face looking disgusted.


That night, after a few toss and turns, Sandara finally stopped trying to fall asleep. Someone is definitely watching their house and she’s tired of sleeping with it. If they badly wanted to take her out of the world because she saved South Korea—though she didn’t really save it alone—then they should come to her face-to-face and stop lurking around her house.

Sandara got up from her bed and still in her pajamas, went towards the window. Of course she can’t go outside without anything to protect her. At least the people lurking outside wouldn’t charge head on with her still inside the house.

She opened the window and shouted, “Whoever’s outside, can you just please challenge me head on in broad daylight and not when I’m sleeping? You coward!”

Sandara closed the window with so much force that she almost wrecked it, but the unease was still there. Although it reduced, she could still feel someone is watching their house.

“Just challenge me head on today, then!” Sandara muttered under her breath, clearly pissed off, and as if he heard her, her window began to rattle as someone from the other side tried opening it.

Sandara hysterically tried to find a deadly weapon and came across her favorite hairbrush. After contemplating whether to fight him with or without a hairbrush, Sandara finally chose the former. A hairbrush has been a deadly weapon numerous times.

She opened the window and was about to strike at the opponent when she saw a familiar body. Jiyong grinned and looked at her half lidded with drunkenness.

Sandara shrieked. “Jiyong! What—What are you doing?”

He hiccupped in response, and laughed at the sight of the horror in her face. Sandara helped him in when she noticed that he’s getting colder, and quickly closed the window as soon as her visitor is inside. Jiyong was spread like an eagle on the floor and his coat did a little to warm him up in the night.

Sandara pulled the comforter from her bed and hugged Jiyong with it to keep him warm. “What were you thinking?” She asked in attempt that the drunk person she’s hugging would answer, but Jiyong only chuckled in response, his cheeks and ears flushed.

“You’re right. I’m such a coward.” He muttered. “Kwon Jiyong is such a coward.”

“It wasn’t even directed to you.” Sandara coaxed. “It’s for the people watching the house at night.”

“Look at me!” He suddenly said, as if Sandara didn’t talk. “The only answer I have to my problems is alcohol. I am not a man.”

“To think…” He continued, laughing. “That I once taught my recruits how to be a man.”

Sandara wanted to know why he would say such a thing. He has been always so brave. What happened at work that made him think he’s not?

Sandara found her eyes slowly drifting as she felt Jiyong’s stable breathing.


The morning light caused Sandara to press her eyes in an attempt to avoid it, but when she realized it wouldn’t go away, she turned her head away. She slowly opened her eyes, easing herself out from sleep and found herself face-to-face with her mattress.

Her forehead creased as she momentarily thought how she ended up sleeping on the floor and not on the bed. But no matter how she tried remembering, she can’t picture herself sleeping on the floor with only her comforter and not on her mattress.

As if to answer her questions, Sandara heard a grunt from beneath her and she looked up. Sandara almost cursed when she found herself lying on top of Kwon Jiyong’s chest and him, in his half glory, beneath her.

Sandara suddenly shot up and subconsciously covered her chest since she wasn’t wearing any bra beneath. Jiyong sat up as well and laughed. “You’ve been like that since last night and you’re only covering them now.” He commented and Sandara felt like his eyes were looking beneath her thin shirt. She blushed at his mere stare.

“Though it was better last night.” Jiyong continued, smirking, and Sandara now remembered the events last night. “They were protruding from your shirt.”

Sandara felt her face burn hotter and she shouted, “That’s not right to say!”

Jiyong smirked. “You’re so cute.”

“Go out!” Sandara found herself shouting, her voice as brazen as it were when she first found the courage within her when she was still a child. But now it’s different. No matter how many times this person in front of her tell her sweet things, she shouldn’t get carried away. Because the more he makes her all tingly, the more she realizes herself that those words were meant as a sibling.

Jiyong seem to find that the matter has now become serious. “Sorry. I shouldn’t have—“

“Just go.” Sandara said, closing her eyes. “If you’re not serious then just go!”

Jiyong shot up from his spot and looked at her. He didn’t say a word as he exit from the window and ran away.


After taking a hot bath, Sandara went to find her family. In the back of her mind, Jiyong’s face rests and it may take a while before it will fade away. After all, first love never dies.

She heard strange noises by the tea room so she decided to take a turn there and enter. But quickly regretted her decision when she saw the inconspicuous, plastic face of Mrs. Lee greeting her.

“Oh, Sandara dear.” Mrs. Lee said, smiling so sweetly that it made Sandara sick, and stood up. “I was about to go home after discussing some things with your mother.”

Sandara’s mother’s face was dim but nonetheless she stood up and unwillingly said, “Please show her outside, Sandara.”

Sandara wanted to say no but her mother looked like she had enough of the discussion and just wanted to get Mrs. Lee out of her house. Grandmother was worse, because she’s showing her emotions by glaring openly and gritting her teeth.

Sandara forced up a smile and said, “Please follow me then, Mrs. Lee.”

Mrs. Lee’s eyes sparked up and she adoringly said, “My daughter-in-law walking me out. This feels like a dream.”

Sandara suppressed a frown and glare, and waited as Mrs. Lee go to her. She saw her family cast her a look of pity and Sandara replied by shrugging. When Mrs. Lee asked her if she would come, she put on a forceful smile again and led her out, grabbing her jacket from the rack as she as by it.

She walked her to the marble archway, avoiding all means of communication with Mrs. Lee by just nodding and shaking her head. Any means of talking means she’s interested in answering and only body gestures could save her from the conversation.

Mrs. Lee was happy enough though she haven't talked,and was praising her for being so enthusiastic in walking her mother-in-law. After a few minutes, the marble archway that seemed like forever to reach finally came to Sandara's front and she was so relieved that her sigh went off-guard and came out loud.

 

Mrs. Lee bowed and said, "I wished that I could talk to you longer. I hope the past between us is nothing but just past. Let's make a new future for both of us as you become my future daughter."

 

Sandara didn't know what to say because if she says something approving, then it would mean she's ready to marry into the Lees. She has to admit that Donghae is a nice guy and she could fall in love with him given the time, but she considers the family. Mrs. Lee just wanted her to marry Donghae because it would bring their family honor, being given they are politicians. And she knows that after the facade, when Sandara returns into someone as normal as a housewife, Mrs. Lee would only give her nothing but hardships.

 

Sandara was about to show her disapproval with courtesy when suddenly there was a big low collective shout. She saw as it appeared before her eyes, men about a hundred crowding their house. They look like they came from all-over South Korea with the variety on the clothes and she tilted her head in curiosity.

 

They all bowed, taking her aback and said, "Your words have reached us and now we are appearing before your eyes!"

 

Sandara gaped. They were all the ones looking at her house all this time. How can she stand up a fight with a hundred men!

 

They continued, "That's why we are here to be a man and confess."

 

Sandara's face turned blank and she repeated, "Confess?"

 

"Confess?" Mrs. Lee also repeated though much more ridiculous.

 

They all straightened up and one went up to her. "I am Kim Yu. I liked you for a very long time. Please be my girlfriend!"

 

Sandara directly shook her head. "I'm sorry but I can't reciprocate your feelings."

 

The others reacted violently and they all continued to confess. Though she finds some of them cute, she couldn't accept their feelings. They were too good and bad for good.

 

Mrs. Lee, who can't go home reacted violently and shouted, "Why are you all crowding my daughter-in-law! She’s going to get married at the end of May!”

 

Everyone was stunned to hear it from her and she grinned with success. Sandara thought it was the end of her happy life because her neighbors now know she’s marrying into the Lees. If she breaks off the wedding, it’d be more suspicious and she’d be dead the next day if she were to bring shame to the family.

 

Around her, everyone starts to whisper, “Of course she will marry into the Lees. A hero is fit for the line of politicians.”

 

Sandara’s face turned red and she silently prayed for someone to save her. Just then, someone from the group of the crestfallen boys spoke, “I haven’t even proposed to her!”

 

Everyone fell silent and gave way as Donghae walks towards her. Sandara felt her stomach churn. No! She tried speaking to him through mind telepathy. With such a friendly and innocent face, she can’t turn down Donghae plus they were outside. Word will quickly spread about how arrogant the Hero of South Korea is for turning down a Lee.

 

With red face, Donghae bowed and said, “Sandara Park, please accept my feelings and be my fiancé.”

 

Sandara thought about it. A life with the Lees is stressful but comfortable with servants at your beck and call. But politicians and their families have lives always at the edge of the cliff and one wrong move could lead her and her family to death. Moreover, she doesn’t want to marry Donghae when she doesn’t feel the same way about him because that would hurt the both of them more.

 

Sandara bowed and everyone gushed, in lieu of thought that she’s going to respond an approval. Mrs. Lee grinned and shouted, “Now you all see!”

 

Grandmother intercepted, “What? She’s still bowing!”

 

Mrs. Lee glared at grandmother, who have appeared after hearing the commotion.

 

Sandara didn’t lift her face and said, “I’m sorry, Donghae but I can’t reciprocate your feelings.”

 

“We can—“ He tried to say, but she cut him off. Sandara smiled and said, “I can’t love you after all.”

 

Donghae, who she knew was hurt, kept a smiling face all along. Sandara frowns at the sight of him struggling with his feelings because he has the right to show that he is in pain. At least that would make her more the criminal than him.

 

The others rejoice and grandmother stuck her tongue at Mrs. Lee, who was looking furious. The latter went in front of Sandara and reprimanded, “I am not accepting such behaviour. Return your words once again, Sandara Park!”

 

Sandara remained silent, with no intention of returning what she said. Donghae was about to say something when his mom angrily grabs his arm and drags him off.

 

The others rejoice and without letting Sandara to shout an apology to Donghae, they started confessing once again. She watched, as she turn one again, Donghae’s back disappearing back into his street.

 

Fifty have passed and Sandara continue to turn them all down. Fifty more and it would be over. She doesn’t mean to break anyone’s heart but a love that starts with fame is a love that will never bloom. Her lover will be a constant reminder that she would only be the Hero of South Korea and not the hero of his heart. She would only be reminded that she exists as a price, not a woman worth fighting for.

 

She was down to ninety and everyone anticipated, among them were also the men she turned down, for the man who will bend her heart. She wanted to hear the words that would make her contented, or perhaps see the commitment in his voice. Not the same eyes that shine with pure determination to get her as a prize. Or perhaps…she was waiting for a certain someone?

 

Sandara inwardly shook her head. She had already decided to forget about him.

 

She was down to ninety-nine and all but one is left. The town’s most handsome man, Park Chanyeol, came into view. The ladies swooned at his disposal and she could feel his presence eve if he’s a few feet away. He must’ve decided not to close in when he’s sure he can’t win her. Though he was the same as the others, he wanted her as a prize.

 

Everyone whispers and gossips how the most handsome man in the town would win the Hero of South Korea because it is the only thing they could think of happening. Chanyeol was about to speak when someone cut him off. “Sorry, boy but men get the ladies.”

 

Sandara’s eyes stilled and widen at the sight of Kwon Jiyong appearing from god-knows-where. He wasn’t wearing the same casual clothes he wore in the morning. He’s cleanly shaven and was wearing handsome clothes. Chanyeol, who was dressed expensively as they said, looked a little lower than he does.

 

Chanyeol was about to argue when Jiyong pushed him with his hand, and Chanyeol fell on his bottom. “Move.” Jiyong said, sternly looking down at Chanyeol. “That’s what it means.”

 

Jiyong breathed a sigh as he walks towards Sandara with his hands were inside his jacket’s pockets so he could hide the fact that he’s trembling, and Sandara could only stare.

 

Jiyong stopped when their distance is merely a foot and before he could talk, Sandara did. “What are you doing here?” She asked, breathing out fume.

 

“I’m going to confess.” He said, plaintively.

 

“Just go.” She replied, feeling teary all of a sudden. “I told you to not do it when you’re not serious right?”

 

Jiyong crookedly smile because he was hesitant to twist his lips upward. “I am serious.”

 

Sandara found no rebuts for his sentence and so she silently listened to him. Jiyong continued, “Soldier 325, Park Sandara, I love you. Please go out with me.”

 

Sandara choked and tried suppressing her tears as she reply, “You told me you want to keep your promise as my older brother.”

 

Jiyong smiled sweetly at her, and she hated it. Because the more he shows sweet things, the more she realizes that she can’t help but fall in love with him.

 

He said, “I promised to Park Sanghyun, did I? That I wanted to become his older brother.” After Sandara’s breathing hitched and he smiled even more, Jiyong continued, “Because during the time we were together for three months, he had told me about his sister, and the more I learn about her, I realize I am falling for her just by who and what she is. Please tell Sandara Park then, that I love her. From the moment I saw her in her father’s wallet and even more, when I met her in a jail. The way she sacrificed her life just for her brother’s is enough to make me realize that she’s the kind of woman I would definitely pursue.”

 

The tears Sandara has been holding back finally strolled down her cheeks and she bawled, “Why didn’t you tell me all along! I was here keeping all my feelings to myself and when I have finally decided to give up on you, you just keep on doing these nice sweet things. I always end up falling for you even harder and that’s not a good thing because I was—I am not making sense anymore!”

 

Jiyong closed their distance and hugged her. “You make perfect sense.” He whispered against her ear and Sandara found herself hugging him back.

 

“Please take care of me.” She replied, clutching onto his jacket.

 

The crowd cheered except for Chanyeol, who got caught by the ladies after he was pushed down. His cries of agony didn’t reach the general and his soldier, who were whispering intimate things to each other.