Blue Neck

Blue Neck

     He should have said something the night before. He should have slept somewhere else. The sun was rising, its first rays striking the bedroom walls, and Yoongi hadn't had a single hour of peaceful sleep.

    Yoongi strained his neck, lifting it upwards to get a better view of the face of the other boy on the mattress. Jeongguk was breathing slowly and steadily, a sign that he was sleeping quite soundly. Yoongi resisted the sudden urge to flick the kid's face. It annoyed Yoongi that Jeongguk could get a good rest and he couldn't.

    Several times throughout the night, Yoongi had woken up to find Jeongguk's feet dangerously close to his face. They had decided to share a mattress and to lie on it in opposite directions for reasons only they seemed to have thought appropriate at the time. At first, Yoongi just swatted Jeongguk's feet away and hoped to fall back asleep, but Jeongguk's feet always returned to their former spot right in front of Yoongi's nostrils. It was now, at seven in the morning, that Yoongi had had enough of smelly, teenage feet. 

    He sat up straight, leaning against the wall behind him. His eyes fleeted across the room, glancing briefly at each boy sleeping in the room. Yoongi sighed, knowing he was a little bit jealous they could sleep, but also knowing he was more happy that they were getting a break and were sleeping away their stress and anxieties. He pushed himself up from the mattress and made his way to the bathroom. 

    The light was blinding the second he flicked the bathroom switch, and after squinting repeatedly, Yoongi spotted the white cat perched on the toilet seat. 

    "Oh," he breathed, "hello there," he whispered, reaching out towards the cat. The cat leaped off the toilet and into the bathtub, obviously avoiding Yoongi's touch. "Fine," Yoongi turned away from the cat, a bit disappointed.

    He the tap and splashed water in his face. Yoongi ran his fingers through his messy hair and sighed when he remembered he had forgotten to pack his favorite hair product. He stared in the mirror a while longer until he realized his mouth had a strange taste. "Mm, I should probably brush my teeth," he mumbled to himself.

    He tiptoed back into the bedroom and pulled out his toothbrush from his bag. When he entered the bathroom again, he jumped back when he saw the white cat staring at him attentively from the counter. Yoongi slowly reached over it and grabbed the toothpaste. As he put the toothpaste on his toothbrush, the cat positioned herself comfortable over the sink. Yoongi sighed and stuck the handle of the brush in his mouth.

    As he reached out to the move the cat from the sink, the paste fell of the brush and onto the cat's neck. Yoongi froze and his eyes widened in horror. The cat froze as well, but was soon shaking furiously to get the toothpaste off of her neck. Yoongi lost grip on the toothbrush and let it fall to the ground. He frantically tried to grab at the cat.

    "Ah, Jeongguk is going to kill me!" he hissed under his breath. The cat jumped into the shower and Yoongi lunged at it. His fingertips closed over a blob of blue toothpaste, but he couldn't relax. The cat dodged the next swipe and flew past Yoongi and out of the bathroom, toothpaste smeared well across the fur of her neck. Yoongi shot out of the bathroom and stared out into the dark hallway. He brought his hand up to his forehead and sighed. 

    Reluctantly, Yoongi made his way back to the room and silently shook Jeongguk awake.

    "Huh? What?" Jeongguk blinked lazily and looked up at Yoongi.

    "I got toothpaste on your cat," was the first thing Yoongi said to Jeongguk that day.