SHINee...GO!

SHINee: Protectors of the Earth and Fried Chicken

It was just a regular spring day in the heart of Seoul, South Korea. The birds were chirping, the cherry blossom trees were swaying in the wind, there was a giant robot man punching holes through buildings- wait, what?

Stomping through the streets was a 30 foot tall mech suit, and inside of it, laughing evilly, sat an older asian man. He didn’t look like an evil mastermind, in fact if he were to be seen walking down the streets instead of smashing them, one might have described him to be kindly and a good citizen. It just goes to show, looks can be deceiving.

The robot clanked its way through Seoul, ripping up trees, smashing cars with its large feet, knocking over power lines, and just generally causing chaos for the people of Seoul. Crowds ran left and right, fleeing into stores or driving away at illegal speeds in an attempt to escape the terror that had fallen upon the city.

Having made his way to the central park, the man stopped his robot body, making it turn towards the people below. Many stopped, pausing in their activities to gawk up at the strange being. A middle school student about to eat his lunch froze, his chopsticks pausing halfway to his mouth. The noodles slipped back into the cup, splashing him with some broth, but he was too entranced by the robot to even bat an eye.

Using a microphone connected to speakers on the robot’s shoulders, the man began broadcasting his evil thoughts to the city.

“Behold, citizens! I, Doctor Soo Man, have come to enslave you all. Bow down to my power, or face my wrath!” The man in the metal suit laughed, the sound crackling through the speakers. When no one began bowing, still too frightened and amazed to react, Soo Man let out a warrior’s cry.
“So be it! You shall all die!” The doctor swept one mechanical arm around the park, knocking over lamp posts and uprooting trees, sending people running for cover.

The destruction continued, much in the same manner as before, Soo Man storming through the streets in his giant metal suit, a gleeful look upon his face.

In the streets, a woman screamed. “Please, can anybody save us?”


 

“Hurry up!”

“Move your Tae!”

“I’m trying!”

“Ugh, Jonghyun, stop elbowing me.”

“Ahh! Don’t call me that, we’re in uniform! I’m Blinger now!”

“Hey Minho, I think your pants are burning again.”

“EVERYBODY, SHUT UP!”

Simultaneously, four boys closed their mouths and turned their heads towards the source of the scream. It was none other than the resident diva, Kim Kibum. Or, as he currently was, Almighty Key. The sudden silence was almost deafening, the only sound their racing heartbeats. No one, absolutely no one, would ever dare cross Diva Key. Unless, of course, they wanted to die a very slow and painful death. Key’s cat-like eyes were narrowed dangerously, as if daring someone to cross him.

As their silent showdown continued, the faint smell of burning spandex filled the car, a trail of smoke rising from Minho’s pants.

“Really flame boy, again?” Key sighed and raised his hand, quickly putting out the tiny fire with a small stream of ice.

Minho hissed at the sudden cold, rubbing his frostbitten skin. Jonghyun-Blinger- snatched his hand away before he could start another fire, shaking his head at the man’s idiocy. A dime sized hole marked the spot where the fire began. It revealed black and blue skin underneath, an after effect of the ice.

“Thanks Key.” He mumbled. Key crossed his arms in annoyance.

“Well. Now that that’s been settled, I think it’s time to go save some people, don’t you think?”

“Yeah!” The four yelled in unison.

“Let’s go!” Key said, spinning around in his seat and slamming on the gas pedal. The four in the back  groaned as they smashed into each other.

“Ugh. What happened to the days when I had an awesome motorcycle?” Blinger groaned.

“They ended last week when you smashed it into a brick wall.” Captain Dubu, or as most people knew him, Jinki, replied.

“Let’s make a deal. After we defeat this guy, we get ourselves better rides. We’re superheroes, we can’t go to our battles in Taemin’s mom’s van.” Flaming Charisma suggested.

Almighty Key made a hard right, provoking numerous groans.

“I second that.” Captain Dubu said, rubbing the spot where his head had smacked the window.

The five parked near the edge of the wreckage and got out. In the distance, Doctor Soo Man’s robot was visible. The group watched as another building was crushed.

“Damn. He’s really wrecking the place.” Blinger said.

“Way to state the obvious.” Almighty Key replied.

“Let’s get him!” Captain Dubu said.

TaeMAN pumped his fist in the air. “Super Mega Awesome Squad, GO!” He yelled.

The others shot TaeMAN similar looks of disapproval. “TaeMAN, we agreed we’d be SHINee two battles ago.” Almighty Key pointed out.

TaeMAN pouted. “I didn’t agree.”

Key let out an exasperated sigh. “TaeMAN, now is not the time to argue about this. We have a villain to take down.”

“I’m just saying, I don’t think we should have a name until everyone agrees on one. And by everyone, I mean me.”

“Tae, you promised me you would stop arguing about what our name is.” Captain Dubu frowned.

“Yeah, well, you promised me you wouldn’t have a stupid hero name, but obviously that promise wasn’t kept.” TaeMAN replied snarkily.

“Oh would you all just shut up so we can go kick some bad guy’s already?” Flaming Charisma intervened.

Captain Dubu nodded in agreement. “We can finish this later. Flame guy is right.” Flaming Charisma sighed. but decided not to correct Captain Dubu on his name. They didn’t need anymore distraction from their mission.

The five were just about to run when suddenly-

“I still think we should be Super Mega Awesome Squad.” TaeMAN muttered beneath his breath.

“SHUT UP TAEMAN!” The other four yelled in unison.

It looked like the argument was about to start right back up when they felt the ground shake and a shadow fall over them.

“Hey, who turned out the lights- oh .” Blinger’s jaw dropped as he craned his neck up to look at the robot towering above them. He immediately felt miniscule in comparison; this villain was doing nothing to help his height complex.

“Puny heroes!” Soo Man yelled. “You cannot beat me. Your power is no match for mine.”

“Don’t be so cocky Soo Man! We’re stronger than we look!” Captain Dubu replied. Beside him, TaeMAN frowned.

“Wait. Did he just say we look weak?” He asked Flaming Charisma. The other boy shrugged

“Then watch as I destroy your city and everything you love.” As an example, Soo Man shot a small rocket out of his arm, blowing up a small street stand to the left of SHINee.

Almighty Key ran at Soo Man, icing the ground beneath him so he could slide around the machine with ease. A hand reached for him, and he flipped out of the way, leaping around with agility no mere human could possess. As soon as he was in a safe spot, he began freezing up the feet, trying to lock the robot in place with ice. Or possibly freeze the wires inside so that it shut down.

“Key, watch out!” Captain Dubu yelled. The hero turned just in time to see a giant arm swinging towards him; all the air left his lungs as it hit him square in the stomach.

Key flew backward from the force, doing a flip in mid air before landing on his feet 20 feet away, skidding against the ground and ending in a fighting pose.

“Seriously, how do you do that?” Blinger explained, amazed at Key’s ability to always be able to land on feet. It was like he was a cat or something.

“Stop staring and help me you idiot.” The diva snapped. Blinger nodded and smashed his fist into the side of the robot’s leg, channeling his super strength through his arm and leaving a nice sized dent where he made impact.

However, Soo Man merely shifted the leg and Blinger hit the ground, seeing stars when his head smacked against the asphalt. The giant machine turned and barreled through the heros, smashing everything in it’s path.

It was then Captain Dubu saw where he was heading. Destroy everything you love. Dubu now knew what the man meant by that.

“Hurry, we have to protect the chicken!” He yelled, but it was too late.

SHINee watched in horror as the machine raised a foot and smashed a fried chicken shop.

“NOOOO!” Captain Dubu yelled in anguish. He looked up at the villain, to find the man laughing wickedly.

“Now he’s done it.” Flaming Charisma commented.

“Poor bastard.” Blinger agreed. “Think we should cover our eyes?”

“Yup.”

The four covered their faces as Captain Dubu’s eyes hardened and he screamed, a flash of light blasting from his body and short circuiting every lamp post and stop light on the street. The robot creaked as it moved sideways, Soo Man passed out from the explosion of light energy.

Dubu collapsed to the ground, breathing hard. Pain shot through his head. His power was great, but it came with a price, and as such, could only be used sparingly.

TaeMAN ran over to the leader, needing to make sure he was okay. When said boy looked back up, he was momentarily blinded by the sun reflecting of the shiny robot. TaeMAN blinked away the spots in his eyes and focused on the robot, searching for a chink in its armor. He spotted something and gasped.

“Blinger! Look, the front is glass so he can see through!” TaeMAN pointed out. Blinger nodded.

“On it Tae! Everyone, cover your ears!” The other four did as they were told, dropping and curling their heads down, hands clasped over their ears. A moment later, Blinger took a deep breath and sang a single note, one so powerful it shattered every window within 50 meters, including the Doctor’s glass pane.

The villain yelled and crossed his arms over his face to avoid the falling glass.

Captain Dubu focused his gaze on the robot once more, feeling the familiar burning begin behind his eyes. A beam of light shot towards the machine, hitting it and causing it to stumble and crash to the ground. The hero dropped this head, hand over his eyes.

Blinger helped the leader up, and the five raced towards the crash site. In the center of the debris laid the Doctor, limbs sprawled around him. They watched as he blinked and groaned, coming to. They circled around him, forming an impenetrable wall.

The pathetic man struggled to rise, and glared at the heroes.

“You can’t stop me! I’m Doctor Lee Soo Man! The all powerful!” Soo Man raged weakly.

“Real doctor of PhD?” TaeMAN said back, voice teasing.

Soo Man looked down and glared at the ground. “PhD.” He grumbled. The five superheroes laughed.

“Knew it.” Flaming Charisma snickered.

Taemin crossed his arms. “Surrender Soo Man. Admit that you have been bested by the Super Mega Awesome Squad.” Around him, everyone groaned.

“TaeMAN. We are not calling ourselves that!” Almighty Key reprimanded.

“I say we are!”

“I say no!”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“You want-”

“TaeMAN don’t you dare use your creepy mind control on me.”

“Key!”

The two continued arguing, the other becoming caught up in it as well.

“You have got to be kidding me.” The doctor groaned at their obviousness lack of intelligence. The doctor shook his head at the five heroes, before making his escape.

“Hey! He’s getting away!” Blinger yelled, pointing at the fleeing man. The others looked up, and in less than two seconds, they were surrounding the villain once more.

“It’s the end of the line.” Flaming Charisma told him.

“Yeah.” Captain Dubu joined in.  “The jig is up.”

Beside him, Taemin groaned. “You have to be kidding me. ‘The jig is up’? How lame can you get?”

The doctor paid them no mind.

“I cannot be defeated! I am the great Doctor Soo Man! Fear me!”

Key studied his nails with a bored expression and scoffed. “Oh yeah? I’m The Almighty Key. Fear me, .” WIth that, he punched the Doctor in the face, knocking him out immediately.

“Come on boys. Let’s go home.”

 

On the ride back home, TaeMAN was sat in the corner, arms crossed and eyes staring out the window.

“Taemin? Are you still pouting about our team name?” Captain Dubu asked, noticing that the youngest was still unnaturally quiet.

“Taemin, stop being so childish.” Dubu chastised him. “And you have to admit, your name idea was kind of stupid.”

TaeMAN glared at the leader. “So? It’s not like your name isn’t stupid ‘Captain Dubu.’ You don’t see me hating on it though.”

“Actually, you do. Everyday.” Blinger cut in.

“Shut up dog.” TaeMAN snapped. Blinger fell back in his seat, looking like a kicked puppy. Literally, he was starting to turn into a dog.

“Key! Blinger’s morphing again!”

“Damn.. Jonghyun, don’t you dare! I will not have a whining, slobbering dog in here while I’m driving. Get a hold of yourself!”

Blinger nodded, but Key’s harsh words only made him sadder. It wasn’t like he could help it-anytime he got sad or overly happy, he would revert into his animal form. It frustrated Key to no end, especially when he would arrive at headquarters only to be immediately pounced on by a half morphed Jonghyun, face bright and tail wagging.

“We’re here. Everyone out.” Key snapped, at his wit’s end. He had always been one to work alone, and this change was not suiting him well.

The four stumbled out and ran towards their headquarters, rushing to their rooms to change out of their uniforms. Sure, they may look cool, but damn did they give a person a hell of a rash. On more than one occasion, the boys could be found furiously dumping a whole bottle of baby powder into the front of their pants, cursing the high heavens as they did so.

Kibum walked out of his room, changed back into his normal clothes. He looked around and sighed in irritation.

“We really need to get a new place. This is disgusting.”  Ever the neat freak, Kibum stomped around the main room, doing what he could to try and make the place a bit, well, liveable.

“Come on, it’s not that bad.” Jinki argued, although he may have only been saying that since he was the one who found it. “Besides, it has character.

“If it’s character is a dead cockroach underneath the counters then yes. It has loads of character.”

“Wait. There’s bugs here?!” Taemin paled and jumped onto the nearest chair, scanning the floor around him for any more intruders.

It really wasn’t that bad a place, all things considering. Since the team’s formation two weeks prior to this attack, they had made haste to find a suitable headquarters, having quickly decided meeting in the living room of their secret identities’ houses would be a terrible idea.

All five had split up and searched for a place, and as far-fetched as it seemed, the one they were currently located in was a palace compared to the others. At that moment, it had been perfect.

In reality however, it was a grungy old building that they thought to have once been a strip club, judging by the shiny pole on a small stage in the corner. What used to be private show rooms had been turned into personalized bedrooms and the bar had become a mini-kitchen. The dance floor had been deemed the living room after a raggedy couch and a flat screen tv had been dragged in and set in the middle. The two bathrooms were shared equally, one for Jinki, Taemin, Minho, and Jonghyun, and one for Kibum.

The first two days Kibum had called sick for his normal job and spent the whole day cleaning up the place. He refused to live there until he, quote, “rid the smell of , vodka, and bad decisions.”

It wasn’t a bad place, overall, but there was certainly still a load of things to be done before it was suitable for permanent living.  Things like exterminating the place of cockroaches.

Jinki’s phone rang in his pocket, and he scrambled to pull it out.

“Yeoboseyo...uh uh....arraso...neh... neh, I understand. We’re on our way.”

“What was that?”

“The president wants to meet us. It’s time to suit up.”

“ The president?” Minho gasped. “ Is that good? That’s good right?”


 

It wasn’t good.

“What’s this?” Captain Dubu asked, looking down at the paper he had been handed with confusion. Printed across it was a 1 followed by a lot of zeros. A lot of zeros.

“A bill for the damage you caused yesterday.”

“What?” Almighty Key streaked, before composing himself. “But.. president, we saved Seoul from total destruction.”

“Yes, but in doing so, you destroyed numerous cars, shattered several store windows, put a hole through a building...” The president continued listing off the various damages, while SHINee’s jaws dropped further and further. One of Almighty Key’s eyes was twitching, a massive headache beginning to form. When the president finally finished and left, SHINee stared down at the paper in Captain Dubu’s hands, looking dumbstruck. Whispers erupted among them, everyone sounded equally dazed.

“They can’t really make us pay for this, can they?”

“I didn’t know that many zeros existed.”

“We save their pathetic lives and they repay us by making us pay them? I call bull.”

“Umm, Minho? Your pants are on fire.”

“God dammit!”

-------------------------------------------------------

What have I just written.