1/1

Long distance gone short

Yixing sighed while he stared at the now white screen that told me that people with his interests were being searched. He sighed again when he remembered his previous matches… He decided to make this match the last one and that next time, if there is one, he’ll choose a different interest than dancing. All the guys that appeared on his screen were there just to show abs and muscles they supposedly gained from dancing to girls, while the girls wanted to show him how to do the belly dance and Yixing’s pretty sure that what most of them did was not something you do when doing the belly dance. There was a beep and he looked up to see who was chosen this time. The guy was really handsome, a sharp jaw-line, plump lips, brown tousled hair and brown eyes, Yixing thought, since they looked hazel color because of the light that hit him. “Do you have abs?” the guy asked in English.

“I do but I’m not going to show them to you.” Yixing answered in Korean, hoping the guy would disconnect because of that.

“Oh, you’re Korean?” he asked, also in Korean. Apparently not.

“No, I’m Chinese.” Yixing admitted.

“Then why are you speaking Korean?”

“When in Korea, you speak Korean, right?” Yixing asked and the other guy nodded.

“Well, it’s nice meeting you. How are things there is Korea, I’ve been missing that place.”

“It’s doing quite well, if you take away the freezing cold of winter.” Yixing pouted and the guy chuckled. “What’s your name? If I may now, of course.”

“The name’s Jongin. Kim Jongin. How about yours?”

“Zhang Yixing.” Jongin nodded and looked around before asking.

“So, do you really dance or what?”

“I actually dance, unlike the poor saps who only say they do to get laid.” Yixing huffed and Jongin laughed.

“Either you got the same guys as me or all of them are like that. Guess we’re the exceptions.” He smiled and Yixing found himself smiling back at him. “Oh, you have a dimple.” Jongin pointed out. Yixing swiped his tongue on the inside of his cheek where his dimple is at and nodded. “That’s pretty cute.”

Yixing slightly blushed and scrunched his nose. “Don’t say that! I don’t like it when people say it’s cute.”

“Why?” Jongin questioned, tilting his head ever so slightly.

“Because that tends to lead people into calling me cute and I’m not cute.” Yixing nodded at his own statement.

“Yeah, you’re manly.” Jongin said.

“Exactly!” Yixing threw his hands up and stared at Jongin who stared back. “But you didn’t believe anything of what you just said, now did you?” Jongin shook his head and smirked at Yixing’s pout.

“You know, pouting only makes you look cuter.” Yixing scoffed.

“Shut up, will you?” he then crossed his arms and leaned back on his chair, looking away from the screen.

“What? Are you gonna sulk now? Are you some little child to do that?” Jongin laughed at the glare he got. “Come on, talk to me. You’re the first decent person I got here. I don’t want to stop this now.” Jongin smiled apologetically at Yixing who, even though had the same desire to stay, was too stubborn and childish to take any of this so he shook his head as if to say he wouldn’t talk and the fact he turned to the computer showed he wasn’t going to stay either. “Wait!” Jongin called out and Yixing paused the finger that was about to click the exit button. “Write this code down.” He typed something and sent it to Yixing. “I’ll be here at the same time tomorrow, so use this so we can immediately be put up together.” Jongin smiled and, as much as Yixing wanted to smile back, he didn’t and left the chat.

 

That day, Yixing left his house with Jongin in his thoughts while Jongin, to who was night time, gave up on talking to anyone else besides Yixing and went to bed with the other in mind.

 

That day, Yixing went through his things, doing what he does, going to work, chatting with friends, helping whomever he found in need of help. All this without Jongin crossing his mind again. He actually thought he would just forget the guy and move on, that there was no need to see the other again. But when the next morning came, he stood in front of his computer, looking at the black screen that seemed to stare back at him. Glancing once at the clock next to the computer, he took in account that it was already an hour past the time the other said he’d be ‘online’, so Yixing didn’t doubt that the other had already given up, if he actually had come back, and went away. That though, didn’t stop Yixing from going back to that particular chatting website and putting up the code Jongin had given him as his interest. He kindly hesitated when his finger hovered over the enter key that would send him out there, wondering if Jongin really was worth all the trouble, but he clicked it anyway, adding in his thoughts that it couldn’t hurt to at least try.

The sight he was met with made him simply stare and blink. There, on the other side of the screen, was a doubled up figure, his back heightening and lowering with every breath taken, seemingly being asleep. Yixing sort of felt guilt flowing in his heart when the thought of Jongin waiting for him flashed through his eyes. He debated whether to wake the other up to let him know he was there or to merely let him sleep. Not knowing what to do, Yixing decided to go with the middle term. Wake the other up so that he would go sleep in some place comfortable, like a bed.

“Jongin.” He said, but got no response. So he tried again. “Jongin~” he repeated, this time with a sing-sang voice. The body stirred but stilled once more.  Sighing, Yixing cleared his throat and breathed in. “Yah! Kim Jongin, wake up this instant!” he loudly said. In a flash, the other straightened up, blinking away the sleepiness from his eyes. Once he noticed what was it that woke him up, Jongin let out a wide smile and leaned closer to the screen.

“You came back!” he happily announced, completely ignoring that almost hour and a half had passed since the sort of previously designated hour. “I’m really glad. Can we talk this time or are you still mad at me for calling you cute? Although I had my reasons, being that one of them is that it’s the truth.” Yixing release an exasperate sigh, trying to control the heat that was radiating from his cheeks.

“Jongin, the only reason I didn’t leave was because I just couldn’t leave you there sleeping. That’s why I woke you up. To tell you to go sleep in your bed instead of in your desk, in front of your computer.” Jongin pouted at his words and gave him what looked like some failed version of a kicked puppy look. “If you’re going to use puppy eyes against me, the least you could do is to do successful ones, don’t you think?” Yixing grinned. “Just go to sleep, Jongin. It seems like you need it.”

Jongin shrugged at that. “Who needs sleep when I can talk to you?” Jongin smirked and Yixing had just realized that Jongin might, but just might, be flirting with him. “Come on, Yixing. Just some light conversation before I can go to sleep, how about that?” Jongin smiled in a pleading way and Yixing couldn’t help to think that the other looked too desperate. He was just talking to him, how was it that Jongin was facing it as if it was one of the most important things ever?

Yixing sighed, knowing that he had just given in to the other’s request. “Fine, if that’s what you’d like.” Jongin’s smile was nothing comparable; the happiness just seemed too great in Yixing’s mind. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Have you already lost your ity?” Jongin seriously asked. He was trying really hard not to laugh at Yixing face and how he looked so incredulous as to if Jongin had really asked that. “Just kidding.” Jongin smiled and stuck his tongue out jokingly. “I just want a normal chit chat. Your age, favorite color, relationship status… Nothing much.” Jongin finished with a small smile. Yixing blinked and sighed. He was still not completely over Jongin’s inappropriate question but he still continued with the conversation. And what was supposedly a light conversation ended up lasting two hours in the least. Their talk would have gone longer if Yixing hadn’t looked at the clock and inquired Jongin.

“Hey, Jongin?” he called out and the other stopped talking, blinking at the Chinese male showing he was listening. “What time is it there?” Jongin hummed as if he was questioning the reason of why Yixing was asking that until his eyes landed on his phone and he clicked the main button, the screen flashing bright. Jongin’s eyes slightly widened as he stared at the time. He merely looked until the screen went black again.

“It’s kind of after midnight. Nothing much.” He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. “Can we talk for just five more minutes? I’m still not sleepy.”

“Jongin!” Yixing sternly said and the other’s eyes saddened. “Our main conversation wasn’t supposed to be this long. What if it goes like that again? You have to go to sleep.” Yixing nagged and before Jongin could protest, he started up again. “Don’t come to me with the ‘I’m not sleepy’ argument because I’m sure that as soon as you lie down, you’ll fall asleep. Now go.” Yixing pointed at nowhere in particular, but perfectly demonstrated to Jongin that he was serious about the Korean man leaving the chat room.

“Okay, if you say I should sleep, then I’ll go.” Jongin whined defeated but he still liked that Yixing cared so much about him instead of merely shrugging it off and keep going. “Will you be here again?” Jongin asked, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

Yixing thought for a while, trying to think of a reason to say ‘no’. But even though he could easily say that he would be busy, his mind was blocking him and forbidding him from saying that, so he nodded, confirming he’d be there. With a last smile, Jongin bid him goodbye and left the chat room to finally give up towards sleep while Yixing sat there for quite some time staring at the inactive screen before he got up and stretched, going out of his bedroom to pursue his daily routine.

 

From that day onwards, Jongin and Yixing made it a part of their days to speak to one another. They had actually traded e-mail so they could talk outside the confines of their bedrooms and through all day long. It was a bit hard in the beginning with the difference in timeline and schedules. Spring had come and was about to end, giving room towards Summer. Yixing’s amount of work had increased together with the costumers while Jongin had been given a lot of opportunities concerning work.

 

E-mail conversations had become the most common thing between both of them and they couldn’t be happier to continue with their talk.

Jongin: So… What are you doing?

Yixing: I’m at work. How about you?

Jongin: Just woke up. I’m having breakfast. What do you do, by the way? I never really asked you.

Yixing: I work at a cute little coffee shop, wear a cute little apron and I’m surrounded by cute guys that happen to be my co-workers :P

Jongin: Are they cuter than me? *pouts*

Yixing: Hahah, come on, Jongin… You know no one could be cuter than you.

Jongin: I know of someone a lot cuter than me and anyone else. I mean, you can’t even compare that person’s cuteness to even kittens and puppies.

Yixing: Wow~ That cute, huh?

Jongin: Wanna know who it is?

Yixing: Of course! I want to know who can rival the great Jongin’s cuteness… You could be a model, you know?

Jongin: Well, the cute person I’m talking about is no other than you, baby~

Yixing:

Jongin: And sweetie… I am a model, you just didn’t know it.

 

Something Yixing would never think of or even imagine was that Jongin would actually find him cute. He had always thought that Jongin was just messing with him, but the guy was really into him and Yixing couldn’t deny that he himself was into Jongin.

 

After they found out what each other did, updates were regular. Jongin would tell Yixing how bored he was in the long car drives until the photo shoot scene, how the food was good but it could never beat homemade cooking and how he wanted nothing but to go home, take a shower and see his cute and pretty face. While Yixing would , explaining how amazingly handsome and cute were the people he worked with, how a hot costumer would look at him while he took their orders, but he’d also never failed to detail every single thing that Jongin had that was better than the rest of the other guys. After all those things and they never really asked but at the same time never doubted that both of them were into guys.

 

“Yixing, remember that really weird and embarrassing question I asked you?” Jongin brought up. Even though Yixing had a clue of what Jongin was referring to, he decided to play it innocent and tilt his head, as if he wasn’t recalling. “You know, about…” Jongin scratched the back of his neck. “About your uhmm…” Yixing chuckled at Jongin’s embarrassed and cute behavior. “You know what I’m talking about, don’t you?” Jongin asked and received a shrug and a knowing grin as a response. Pouting, Jongin went back to the subject. “I actually wanted to ask you a question that’s kind of related to that.”

“Okay, you can ask away but only if you answer it too, okay?” Yixing made sure Jongin nodded before letting him proceed.

“How many boyfriends have you had, for how long, what were their names and honestly, how old are you?” Jongin quickly asked before shutting himself up. Yixing blinked a couple of times, letting the questions process in his brain.

“First, those were four questions; second, why are you asking; and third, we really don’t know each other’s age, do we?” Yixing frowned at the unnecessary ignorance they showed. How could they not know each other’s age when they’ve been talking for so long, literally about everything?

“First, yes, those were for questions and not just one. Second, I’m asking because I’m curious and maybe, but just maybe, a bit jealous of whomever had dated you and had the pleasure of holding you. And third, No, we really don’t know each other’s age. Now get on with the answers.” Jongin hushed Yixing to hurry up and leaned closer to the screen.

Yixing sighed but inwardly, he too was curious about these things. “Well, I’m 23 years old and I’ve had two boyfriends until now. One was Sehun. We dated for 3 years and he actually went with me to China just to meet my parents. We broke up a year ago. The other one was Jongdae. We met in China. We started dating when I was 16 and we were together for 2 years. How about you?”

“Well, like you I’m 23 years old and I’ve had three boyfriends. My first one was called Joonmyeon. We only dated for a year but honestly, it was when I kind of found out I was gay so you could say I was trying to see if it worked. I was 15 at the time. When I reached the age of 17, I went to a party with some friends of mine and met a cute little guy named Baekhyun. We dated for 3 years until we broke up with a mutual agreement. We just didn’t feel it anymore. The last one was Kibum; I met him here in the UK. We went out for 8 months but he went back to Korea and even though we tried, we weren’t able to keep up the long distance relationship.”

“I honestly don’t believe in long distance relationships.” Yixing admitted and Jongin looked at him, as if asking him to continue, so he did just that. “I think that even though a relationship is based on the feelings each harbors for one another, they just can’t handle it. The feeling of being home sick even though you’re right there in your house, because you aren’t with the one you love; the lack of that much desired heat that you can only get from that particular person; and the time differences and such just doesn’t really help the matter. That’s why I don’t really think that people should start long distance relationships.”

“So I guess I can’t really ask you that other thing.” Jongin sighed and Yixing frowned.

“What other thing?” Yixing asked, curious as to what question could it be. It must be something related to this topic, right?

Jongin bit his lip and stared at Yixing for a while before smiling gently. “I was going to ask you to be my boyfriend but I guess that it wouldn’t really work, huh?” Jongin finished with his smile still on, but the sadness and disappointment was evident in his voice. It was so there that it made Yixing cringe.

“Jongin-baby~” Yixing called out to him and Jongin’s eyes lit up at how Yixing mentioned him. “I’ll have to say no to that.” Jongin went sad again. “But I’ll have you know, that if it wasn’t for the distance between us, I’d say yes without any doubt and that I’d probably kiss you right now. Just imagine it; I already have a hard enough time being apart from you from just talking, how would it feel if we were in a real relationship?”

“I get you point.”  Jongin smiled. “You have no idea how happy I am that you feel like that about me. Just don’t kiss me if we were in a public place.”

“Why?” Yixing pouted and Jongin got hit by that need to peck the other’s lips before he gave Yixing an answer.

“Because I’m really shy and I’d probably run away from there at that exact moment.” Yixing chuckled as he imagined the absolute adorableness of a shy and embarrassed Jongin, running away because of a little peck.

 

They continued as they were before. Talking whenever they had the chance about whatever they could think of. Their conversations also got more intimate since they erased the last barrier they had with one another after their little but meaningful confessions. The hottest topic of the moment was that Autumn was about to end and Winter was coming to town. They could only think about Christmas and New Year’s and they never expected to cancel all their pre-made plans and simply decide to drink some hot chocolate while chatting to one another, not forgetting to wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year right before they disconnected.

 

Today was the last day of January and Yixing was at work earlier than usual, a lot earlier. Apparently, Jongin was busy and had to work a lot so they couldn’t do their morning talk, to Yixing, since Jongin would come home late and would have to sleep to keep up with the things from the next day’s schedule.

 

Jongin walked around aimlessly through the sea of people. Everything was the same as he remembered but he couldn’t really think with all these people. Jongin made a turn and crossed two roads, stopping in an almost deserted sidewalk. It’s impressive how different the movement is when you merely walk down two blocks. He took a deep breath and looked up, smiling at what he saw. It was a really big tree and Jongin was sure it was the one Yixing talked to him about.

 

“Every time I go to work I pass this really big and beautiful tree. It’s just like the other ones. Its leaves are green and flowers bloom around it when it’s Spring; you can always hear birds singing in its branches when it’s Summer; its leaves come to earn warm shades of colors like red and yellow, the leaves shinning breathtakingly when the sun is setting, with every sunset that happens in Fall you can see this view. Besides being bigger than the rest, this tree differentiates itself in another way. While the other trees are shedding their leaves as if they are crying because of the harsh cold of Winter, this particular tree keeps on flourishing. It wants to make itself noticed in between the branches that surround it.”

“Looks like that tree just wants attention.”

Yixing laughed at the comment. “You never know. But if that’s the case, with the beauty that that tree has, it deserves all the attention it wants.”

 

Jongin’s grip on his suitcase tightened as he made a turn and headed towards the end of the sidewalk. The intersection.

 

“It’s a really calm intersection. Everything always passes smoothly. You don’t see many people walking by, that’s why I found it amazing that the coffee shop is always packed, be it week day or not.”

“Is it really that calm?”

“Almost all the time. It gets a bit busy when classes are over because the bus stops there cover more than one area. So you can live in the south that you can wait with the people that go north. Also, a lot of students who have time come to the coffee shop to eat. It’s a shame when it’s Winter because it gets too cold to relax outside.”

“How does the coffee shop look like?”

“It’s really warm and cozy, you can even tell from the outside. It has a Victorian style on the outside with smooth tones of brown and light yellow. From the inside, you can see all that happens outside from the huge windows that cover the walls. Music in low volume plays for people to have an ambient in which they feel comfortable. Everyone is always talking, but you can only hear mumbles because as soon as people come through that door and the bell rings, their spirits feel calm and serene. The customers always leave with a smile on their faces and it makes me really happy that we could serve them and that they were satisfied.”

                                                        

Jongin came to a halt. He put his suitcase next to the wall. Leaning on it, Jongin slightly sat on his suitcase and put his hands in his pockets in an attempt to warm himself up. It was cold outside but he didn’t want to go in yet.  He smiled when he heard him laugh. It would be worth it in the end.

He was watching people passing by in their cars when someone came to him. He raised an eyebrow as the person wore an apron from the coffee shop. He was presented a cup with a cup to which Jongin only stared. “I don’t know if it’s because he knows you or if he’s just being nice, but one of the workers, Yixing, told me to give you this so you could warm yourself up.” Jongin’s eyes lit up at the mention of the name and took the cup. “He didn’t know if you liked coffee or not so he went on the safe side and made you hot chocolate.” Jongin smiled.

“Can you thank him for me?” the man shrugged but with a smile on his face.

“I don’t know why you don’t do it yourself, but I’ll thank him.” And the man went back inside, leaving Jongin with his cup of hot chocolate.

 

Yixing smiled towards the man outside that was now sipping on the hot beverage he had prepared. “You’re just too nice, Yixing.” His co-worker said.

“It’s cold outside. I wasn’t just going to let him stand there.” Yixing said while taking the dirty cups and plates to wash.

“Do you know him?”

“I don’t think so. And if we did know each other, I guess he’d come in, right?”

“I guess you’re right.” His co-worker shrugged. “Anyway, back to work.” Yixing laughed at the other’s sudden change to a bossy attitude and went back to work as he was told.

 

Yixing walked through the lonely sidewalk. He was passing by his favorite tree when someone tapped his shoulder. Before he turned around, that person had already started to talk. “You make some really good hot chocolate. Thanks, I needed it.”

“Oh my God.” Yixing’s eyes widened. “What are you doing here?”

“I moved. Nothing much.” Jongin shrugged and then opened his arms wide. “How about a hug?” Yixing smiled and Jongin thought he had already gotten used to it, but he was wrong, because the beauty of Yixing’s smile right now is nothing compared to what he has been seeing in their video conversations. It made his heart skip a beat while wanting the other to keep that smile on forever. Yixing stepped forward and wrapped his arms around Jongin. A heat wave traveled through the latter’s body and he knew in that moment that Yixing’s place was in his arms.

“Why didn’t you go inside the coffee shop? You’re freezing!” Yixing was now cupping the other’s cheeks. Jongin leaned towards Yixing’s touch, liking the heat it provided.

“You know I’m shy.” Jongin pouted when Yixing took his hands away but was more than happy when the latter had wrapped his arms around his neck.

“What does it have to do with you entering the warmth of the coffee shop?” Yixing nagged and Jongin smiled at the worry that was laced in the other’s words. “Yah! Why are you smiling?”

“Because you are simply adorable!” Jongin pecked Yixing’s nose and smirked at the other’s blush which was not caused by the cold. “That place was full of people so I wouldn’t be able to do this.” He then leaned in and kissed Yixing. They couldn’t possibly describe the feeling they got once their lips connected for the very first time, although it wasn’t the first time the thought had crossed either of their minds. The cold that enveloped them didn’t matter anymore because each other’s heat was all they needed to stay warm. Jongin felt Yixing’s fingers snake through strands of his hair and grab it tightly, pulling him closer. Jongin simply obliged, his grip around Yixing’s waist tightening to bring him impossibly close. The kiss got deeper and they didn’t have it in their minds to break it, until those same minds started screaming at them telling them they needed air. Parting, but still remaining close, Jongin connected their foreheads, looking at Yixing whose eyes were closed and had his lips parted, panting and filling his lungs with the cold but much needed air. “Now will you be my boyfriend?” Jongin asked still breathless and Yixing nodded eagerly before looking up at his eyes and smiling his adorable dimpled smile, going in for another kiss.

 

“Where are you staying?”

“I was planning to check in a hotel but since I didn’t know when you got off, I still haven’t done it.” Yixing hummed at the response.

“What do you feel about sleeping with other people?”

“I’m okay with it. Why do you ask?” Yixing let go of Jongin and turned around, crossing his arms and putting his weight in one leg, his hip swaying to the side.

“Because I only have one bed, a really uncomfortable couch and it’s way too cold to sleep on the floor.” Jongin hugged Yixing from behind; supporting his head on the latter’s shoulder.

“Are you inviting me to stay with you?” Jongin cocked an eyebrow and chuckled at the way Yixing’s cheeks turned a bright shade of red. Pecking Yixing’s cheek, Jongin answered the unasked question. “I appreciate your offer and I’m gonna accept it.”

 

♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♪ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♪

Okay, guys! I know this is not one of the most wonderful stories you could have ever read but I still hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I'd like to say that the opinion Yixing gave towards long distance relationships is my own and if you believe in it, then be my guest because there are successful cases when it comes to this kind of relatioships, please don't be mad at  me for thinking like I think.

I'd also like to ask you to leave a comment because I'd very much like some feedback on this story just to see how it went.

Also, upvote if you think it's worhty, okay?

 

Bye, sweeties ^^