Final

E- Penpals

Dongwoo smiled to himself as he clicked on the new mail he had just received. Then he stopped smiling because it looked creepy as hell in the dark with his screen the only thing illuminating his face.

The new mail was from Sungyeol whom he had been writing to religiously every other day for a little over half a year now. It was weird that they referred to each other as pen pals when they both lived in Gyeonggi- do, South Korea. They were only several hours away from each other. Sungyeol lived in Yongin and Dongwoo was currently a university student in Hankyong National University in Ansan. Sungyeol had confided in Dongwoo a few times about applying to Hankyong as well and Dongwoo only encouraged him. 

Sungyeol wanted to study in the Creative Writing and Literary Arts Deparment. It was in the Humanities Building so Dongwoo would be able to show him around. Not to mention he would finally be able to have a junior that he actually liked.

Dongwoo skimmed through the mail, hoping that there was nothing upsetting. Somehow, Dongwoo always felt a tug on his heart when something happened to Sungyeol, good or bad. There didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary and Dongwoo happily delved into Sungyeol's day. He wrote about his brother and his fabulous celebrity aunt and he even asked Dongwoo to buy the drama box set when it came out.

Dongwoo giggled when he read about how Sungyeol almost got kicked out of class because he had made animal imitations while the teacher's back was turned. Dongwoo kept the smile on his face as he wrote back.

 

It was Sungyeol's graduation day today and Dongwoo was looking forward to reading the email he knew he would receive. Sungyeol always had many grammatical errors and Dongwoo has many times about it. He just thought it was funny, him wanting to be a literary arts major and all. Dongwoo rolled around on his tiny bed and he could make out the sound of his roommate's hiphop blasting through his headphones.

Then he heard the ping and Dongwoo flipped onto his stomach. He skimmed through the mail, as per usual, but he noticed a half-sentence at the bottom. He focused on the sentence and realize that it broke off and Sungyeol had probably not meant to send that. He was probably rushing to write about it and was too excited.

Dongwoo's mind was making excuses and he tried not to push them away.

The sentence was short but Dongwoo knew. 

"I wish you were here today, everyone was really happy and I can just imagine your 1000 watt smile in the crowd. You are just so beautiful, I love---"

And it ended there. 

Dongwoo couldn't seem to control the movement of his hands as he clicked on "Compose" and started typing hastily.

When he had sent the mail, Dongwoo fell off the bed. And curled into a fetal position as he realized what had just happened. The gravity of the situation made him wail in pain.

His roommate plucked his headphones from his ears and looked down at Dongwoo.

"You okay?"

Dongwoo shoved his socked foot into his face, telling him to shut his mouth. 

Sungyeol sat in his pajamas, waiting for Dongwoo's reply. When his laptop pinged, he sat up straighter and clicked on the new mail, without even seeing the preview on the side.

And it was like gravity just stopped existing. Because he was floating. Sungyeol fell onto his back and all his pillows jumped up around him as he kicked his legs up in the air and squealed like a little girl. But he stopped, and sat up, picked up the sheaf of papers he had left on the foot of the bed.

The Hankyong National University emblem peeked through and he smiled to himself.

 

"Nobody's smile is brighter than yours and I love you too.

 

P.S. Come to Hankyong NU, I'm requesting a roommate change. You should be mine next semester."