1st Shot

Still The One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A girl with a reddish hair glanced her wristwatch. The person she was suppose to meet still isn't present.

Taking her phone, she flips through her schedule for tomorrow. She has two medical consultations, three minor operations and a single major one. Judging by these, she'll only get about two hours of sleep. Being a doctor does have a disadvantage but the feeling she feels after every operation is unexplainable. Simply said, it was priceless.

She glanced again for the umpteenth time but still her sister is nowhere to be found. She thought she'll be late because she just finished doing a major operation. Frankly speaking stress was taking it's toll. Her eyelids were heavy and her hands were tired. She finds it amusing she has managed to drive from the hospital up to this restaurant.

A tap on her shoulder interrupted her thoughts. She looked up and saw another girl smiling at her, her arms stretched out for a hug. Yoona stood and gave her sister a hug.

"Sorry I'm late doc. The traffic was a pain in the ."

"It's fine."

Yuri reached for her sister's hand. "I want you to meet someone." She briefly let go to fetch her company. Yoona stood there waiting but the moment Yuri came back she froze on her spot.

"Yoong. This is my friend Jessica."

It took a few seconds before Yooona realized Jessica bowing at her. She did the same.

They settled down their table and beckoned a waiter. After ordering their dinner, Yoona spoke.

"I'll be paying our dinner unnie."

Yuri frantically waved her hands, not agreeing with Yoona.

"I invited you here so I'll pay. I know you are a big time doctor but let me pay this time. You pay the next time we meet."

"Okay then." She turned to Jessica. "So, Jessica." The girl looked up her. "How long are you and my sister been friends?"

"Um... We studied at the same high school until she studied in University of California." replied Jessica. She shifts in her seat, feeling uncomfortable the way Yoona was staring at her.

"You have a gorgeous friend unnie. Are you sure you two aren't dating?"

Yuri rolled her eyes at the remark. Her sister can be a little pushy sometimes.

"Jessica is my best friend. We were classmates in highschool."

"I won't argue with you on that unnie. So, how is mom and dad doing?"

"They're doing great. Dad sealed another deal and he recommended me as Chief Engineer."

"That's good." Yoona sipped her now cold coffee, her eyes never leaving Jessica. She felt vibration from her coat's inner pocket and fished out her phone.

"Yes Fany?"

Jessica stiffened a bit when she saw Yoona gaze at her.

"Unnie, let me answer this." Yoona excused herself and went to talk to Tiffany, her doctor friend.

"What do you think of my sister?" Yuri nudged Jessica.

"She's pretty and a true professional." says Jessica monotonously. "I didn't know you have a sister."

"Well, my mom remarried and it was with Yoona's dad."

After taking the call, Yoona rejoined the two.

"Who's that?" inquired Yuri.

"Tiffany. She's a fellow doctor at Seoul Medical Center. She's at a club downtown and she's inviting me. I told her I can't since I'm with you." Yoona answered, gulping her water.

Yuri clicked her tongue. "Tiffany? Sounds familiar. Are you dating her? Then how about we go downtown after our dinner?"

"What?" Yoona and Jessica said in unison.

Yoona shook her head. "I'm not dating her although I might reconsider that."

"I don't want you turning down your friend. Call her and say you'll be there after we finish our dinner."





-*-*-*-





"Yoona! I thought you weren't going to come!" Tiffany hooked her arm around Yoona in a possessive way.

"Well, my sister told me to go downtown after we finished our dinner." explained Yoona.

Yoona and Yuri have separated their ways inside the club. The older one and Jessica were already on the dance floor. Yoona on the other hand searched for Tiffany and found her sitting at the bar.

"Really? I still haven't seen your sister but I think she's pretty just like you."

Tiffany and Yoona studied together in Seoul Doctor's College. It was during Yoona's last year when she got to know Tiffany. The latter just transferred from University of California. When they graduated, They got hired by the same hospital because they graduated with flying colors.

"She's somewhere here. Why did you invite me here for?" responds Yoona. She drank some of Tiffany's drink before sliding it back to her.

"I wanted to spend some time with you. And besides, we need to enjoy since our work is really stressful."

"Sure. What do we do?"

Tiffany's eyes became half crescent.

"How about a drink? Then we dance."





-*-*-*-





"It looks like you don't have any experience in terms of clubbing." Yuri said. She's been observing Jessica ever since they stepped foot on the club.

Wrong. Jessica is a frequent clubber since her college days but because of a few unexpected turn of events and her busy work, she reduced her clubbing. Or maybe because the person she was always with whenever she goes clubbing isn't present.

"No. I just find it awkward clubbing since," Jessica bit her tongue with the nearly slip of tongue. "my intership started."

"Really? Wow. I heard you are transfering? Where?"

"At SMC."

"Oh. You'll be at the same hospital as Yoona. She's been an intern for a year now."

"Really?" Jessica sighed. "I don't know how I'll adjust to a new environment. Seoul is different from San Francisco."

Yuri placed her hands on Jessica's shoulders. "It'll be fine. I know you'll do well. You can ask help from my sister if you'll have some problem."

"I hope." She let a small smile. "What about you Yuri, the firm?"

"Everything is going fine. I think Yoona is your junior. She came from SDC as well."

"Really? That's great."

"Yeah. You and Yoona came from the same school and will be working at the same hospital. I know you'll do great after all you just need one more year before you get your medical degree and residence."

Yuri patted her head and lead her out of the dance floor. That was, until she saw Yoona with a girl going to the dance floor.
She narrowed her eyes to get a better view of her sister who was being dragged by another girl.





-*-*-*-





"I don't dance." Yoona said. Tiffany has dragged her to the dance floor after drinking a few rounds of vodka.

"It's okay. Just sway your body and throw your hands up." Tiffany yelled excitedly. She sways her body in a random way while tugging Yoona to dance.

Yoona chuckles at the sight of a cute Tiffany. She has to say the girl looks so adorable right now. Slowly, her body begins to move as Tiffany.

"So you can actually dance."

"I said I don't. I didn't say I couldn't."

Tiffany shrugged and continued dancing. She was so into the dance when the DJ has to cut the music for his speech.

"Ladies and Gentleman. Let's try to be romantic here. This song is for all lovers out there." A sweet melody echoed and couples dancing began placing their hands around their partner.

Yoona gulped at the announcement. She slowly turned away to head back to the bar but she felt another tug on her arm.

"H-hey. Let's d-dance." stuttered Tiffany. She was a bit shy asking Yoona for a dance.

Yoona nodded. She lead the hand tugging her arm around her neck and gently placed hers around Tiffany's waist.

Just swaying slowly, their gazes never leaving each other.

Tiffany's heart began to beat faster. The situation she's in is quite intimate plus the fact that Yoona's eyes mezmerize her, she was unknowingly drawn in.

She slowly stood on her toes, inching closer to those luscious lips in front of her and soon their lips touched.

Dumbfounded at the moment, Yoona blinked repeatedly to process everything that had just happened. Tiffany's lips were on hers. Why did Tiffany kiss her?

Breaking the kiss, Tiffany's cheeks flushed with a deep shape of red.

"S-sorry about that. The music drew me in." She lied. Well, partly lied. The music did some wonders but Yoona's eyes completely drew her in.

Yoona didn't know why but she feels a little down hearing the apology. She decided to shrug it off and think maybe the girl did it in the heat of the moment.

"It was nothing." She held Tiffany's hand and led her back to the bar. "Wait here. I'll just go to the rest room."

Tiffany watched as Yoona leaves. She sighed at her pathetic state.

"You're pathetic Tiffany." She mumbled.

"Yeah. You look absolutely pathetic."

She turned around to see who that was and was shock to see the least person she wanted to.

"You..."





-*-*-*-





Yoona gazes at the girls exiting the lavatory. Some looks intoxicated while some smells like they just finished a stick of cigarette.

"Ugh. One of these days those people will come to the hospital to have their livers and lungs check." She mumbles.

She stares at her reflection for awhile before scooping a handful of water.

"Ah. It feels weird clubbing again."

She was halfway done when she noticed a lone figure standing next to her applying some make up.

She turned the faucet and stared at the other lady who had failed to notice her.

"Jessica." She breathed out.

Startled, the lipstick Jessica was applying has smudged her cheek. She stared at Yoona and unknowlingly took some steps back.

"Yoona."

Yoona merely chuckled at Jessica's flustered state. She noticed the red smudge on Jessica's cheek. She sighed. She took a few steps forward whereas Jessica staggered backwards until she hit the wall.

Once Jessica remained frozen on her spot, Yoona wiped the smudge off. Jessica felt blood rushing to her cheeks.

"You grew prettier." mumbled Yoona. "And skinnier."

Jessica felt tears welling up. It took every ounce of her strenght to hold back her tears.

Realizing her slip of tongue, Yoona backed away and hid her hand.

"Ah. Sorry about that. You have a dirt on your face so I rubbed it off." She quickly explained.

Silence, a deafening one.

Yoona was about to break the silence but the door bursts open and came a frantic girl.

"Yoona." breathes Tiffany. Tears were threatening to escape her eyes.

"Fany-yah." Yoona went over to her friend to check if there was any problem. "Why? What's wrong?" She noticed Tiffany's right hand was a little red. "Did you hurt your hand? Did some ******* harass you?"

"No." responds Tiffany. "It's just.... Let's just leave. Let's go home."

"Why? I thought...."

"Please! I just want to get out of this place."

Although Yoona didn't understand Tiffany's action, she nodded in agreement. She took Tiffany's hands and escorted her out out the lavatory while wiping those tears.

Jessica slid down the wall as she witness the scene. The tears she was holding earlied stream down her cheeks. It broke her.

"Yoona." She sobbed harder.





-*-*-*-





"Good morning Miss Im." Her assistant greeted brightly. She was wearing a pink Keroro hairpin.

"Good morning too Seohyun."

She entered her office, threw her bag at the couch and wore her white medical gown before collapsing on her chair.

She was tired. She drove Tiffany home last night and stayed for awhile until Tiffany has calmed down and fell asleep. She was home three in the morning and woken up two hours later.

Drawing her phone out, she once again checked her schedules for today. Before she could even do that, something caught her attention. It was her wallpaper. It was an old photo way back during her college days. In it are two girls, the other carrying a cake and Yoona was the one blowing on it. It was taken the 30th of May 2009, her birthday.

"We were so happy back then." She muttered bitterly. "I'm sorry for letting go."

"Doctor Im?" Seohyun peeked through the door.

"Yes?"

"There is still three hours before your first appointment. The rest of the board are having a meeting. I heard a new intern will be introduced."

Yoona nodded. She opened her drawer and placed her phone inside. Another photo was kept in there with the same faces.

She took one last look of the photo before leaving with her assistant.





-*-*-*-





"Hi." Tiffany beamed the moment she saw Yoona come in.

"Fany-yah." acknowledged Yoona. She went to the girl and ruffled her hair. Tiffany pouted in response. "Are you okay?"

"Better. You're just in time. I heard the new intern is a graduate of our college. She's a senior then." Yoona shrugged.

"So what about it?"

"Nothing. Let's just take our seat." Tiffany pullled Yoona unto the chairs and waited patiently until the rest of the directors came.

"Doctor Hwang, Doctor Im, good morning." greeted their fellow doctors.

Tiffany and Yoona, at a young age, managed to secure a high position at the hospital. Their grades were utterly remarkable, especially Yoona who graduated with the highest mark SDC has ever recorded. Although their positions were high, they are still at the process of completing their three year internship. They are already going their second year. Once it's over they are permanently residents of Seoul Medical Center.

"Wake me up when the new intern arrives." muttered Yoona who was now close to dozing off.

"That won't be necessary." states Tiffany. She jerked her head toward the door where an auburn haired lady entered. Yoona was now widely awake, shocked to see who that is.

"Jessica..." She whispered loud enough only for her to hear.

"Good morning." The girl greeted her fellow medical colleagues.

"I'm going to introduce myself. I'm Jessica Jung, a graduate from Seoul Doctors College. It's a pleasure to meet all of you." She let out a small smile. "Please take good care of me."

The head director let her seat opposite of Yoona. She hang her head low whilst listening to the director talk.

Wary of someone watching her, Jessica's lips carved into a small smile especially after knowing who was watching her. She kept her cool and lifted her head. And her hunch was right, Yoona was indeed looking at her.

Yoona didn't bother reading the documents. The auburn lady sitting in front of her interests her more. Suddenly memories from before came flashing through her mind like a movie projector.



Yoona nervously peeks at a group of girls sitting at the bench a few distance from where she is. Should she approach her or not? 

Mustering all of her courage, she left her seat and approached the small group of girls that was composed of fourth year students whereas Yoona was a year younger.

The seniors stopped chattering when they saw Yoona coming closer. Their eyes landed on a blonde who was sitting still with a bored expression.

"J-Jessica sunbaenim." Yoona stuttered. She did practice her speech but in front of Jessica she seemingly forgotten everything especially when Jessica turned around.

Jessica lifted an inquisiting brow. She stares blankly at Yoona. That stare incited a gulp.

Yoona now begins to worry. Yes. She knew Jessica was the so called ice princess. Whoever tried to woo her ended up unsuccessful. She also knew that Jessica barely talks nor look at anyone who doesn't interest her or not her friend. Just Jessica turning to her is enough progress.

She can see Jessica's friends smiling cheekily or probably subtly telling her good luck. She inhaled deeply and swallowed that lump on .

"Would you like to go out with me?" She outstretched her arms and presented the chocolate bar that she's been hiding behind her.

Jessica finds it amusing to see a junior confess. She was used seeing her fellow seniors confess. She eyes Yoona warily from head to toe. Then her eyes landed to the choco bar. She was impressed.

Seeing Jessica was not moving on her spot, Yoona slowly lowered her arms. Disappointment is slowly creeping in. She turned around ready to leave but not before giving her seniors a bow.

"Wait!"

Yoona paused in her tracks and faced Jessica who was staring blankly at her. She scooted in front of Yoona with her arms folded at her chest. 

"My class ends at six." She said. She took the choco bar. "Thanks for this." She gave a small smile.

"..." Yoona lost herself in that smile. It was a small smile but that was enough for Jessica to melt her heart.

Noticing Yoona's daze expression, Jessica repeatedly snapped her fingers in front of Yoona's face. She blinked a couple of times and Jessica's worried face greeted her.

"Are you okay?"

"I am!" responds Yoona. Jessica shrugged. "So I'll just see you later Jessica-ssi."

"Call me Jessica." Jessica nods. "I'll see you later." She let another small smile.

Yoona happily skipped her way toward her class. Jessica on the other hand faced her friends.

"She asked me out." She said. Her cold eyes turned softer and small smile turned wider.

"You should have seen your face earlier. You literally froze the moment you saw her and the only thing you could move is your eyebrow."

"So it wasn't a one sided feeling. I thought it was only you who was crushing over her but she as well is crushing on Jessica."

Jessica playfully smacked her friends. Right now she feels ecstatic and she won't let any one ruin it.

"She looks cute when flustered, doesn't she?" She ignored her teasing friends and went back to seat. She sniffed the choco bar, the scent was too overwhelming. "It took three years before she finally confessed. What should I do later when we go out?"

"Just enjoy your time with her. Don't hesitate to show your true self." Her tall lanky friend said.

"But what if she doesn't like my true self?"

Her shorter friend smiled assuringly. "She will. You're impossible to resist, you know? " Jessica grinned at that. "But seriously, just be yourself and everything will be fine."

Jessica nods her head. She drifted her eyes back to the present she received. Chocolates are sweet, she knows that. But she was sure eating this would be the sweetest chocolate she will ever taste and she was more than willing to have a cavity.

Yoona glanced at her wristwatch to see what time it is. Only two hours left before her first appointment. She was thankful the head director was about to conclude the meeting. She wanted to get out of the room and have some fresh air. She was uncomfortable with Jessica's presence and her stomach starts to grumble.

Sensing Yoona isn't comfortable, Tiffany leaned in and whispered.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm hungry." Yoona pouted. She felt her stomach grumble once again.

Fortunately the director has concluded the meeting. The doctors left their seats and offered handshakes to Jessica who gladly took it.

"Good morning Doctor Jung. I'm Tiffany Hwang. I'm also from SDC." Tiffany greeted. She tugged on Yoona's to introduce herself.

"I'm Im Yoona."

Jessica kept her cool and gave a small nod to acknowledge the two.

"It's nice to meet you. I hope we can work well together."

Tiffany beamed brightly, her eyes turning into half crescents. Yoona didn't react instead she walked away. Tiffany followed.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to have some sleep before my next appointment."

"Wait! I thought you are hungry."

"I can skip breakfast. I need sleep, okay? I only had two hours of sleep. I'll see you later."

Yoona left before she gave Tiffany the opportunity to protest. Tiffany flared her nostrils once Yoona was out of her sight. She didn't notice Jessica was standing beside her.

"She shouldn't skip her meal, you know?" said the blonde. Tiffany jerked from her spot.

"Oh! You gave me a shock Doctor Jung." She placed a hand over her crazily pounding heart. "But what can I do? Yoona is pretty stubborn."

She straightened her gown and turned to Jessica. "Excuse me Doctor Jung. I have an appointment right now." She bowed politely and left.

Jessica flipped through her folder. She planned on having a tour around the hospital.

"Let's start with the cafeteria."





-*-*-*-





Jessica shyly walks her way in front of the waiting Yoona. The latter had been waiting since five o' clock.

"Did you wait long?" asked the older girl. Yoona shook her head. For Jessica, even if she waits for a year she'll be willing to do that.

"No. I didn't want you to wait for me so I arrived earlier." Yoona explained. She rubbed her hands nervously and Jessica didn't fail to notice it.

"Are you nervous?"

"Well," Yoona paused. "Yeah. I don't know exactly how to act in front of you."

Jessica let a soft laugh. "It's fine. How about we make a deal?"

"What is it?"

"I'll act naturally and you do that too. Let's act normally, no pretensions. I really want someone who is acts honestly."

Yoona nods her head. It wasn't a bad idea. "Sure. I'm just nervous. I can feel stares at me. I can't believe you accepted me."

"You don't want me to accept you?"

"No! I do! It just feels surreal, you accepting me."

Jessica glanced around and Yoona was right. There are people staring, some are people Jessica rejected. She took Yoona's hand and laced their fingers together.

"Let them. Let them know who stole my heart."

Yoona grinned and it grew wider when Jessica smiled back at her.

"Do you love food?" Jessica gave a small nod. "Then let's have dinner first."

Yoona brought Jessica to a not so fancy restaurant. Jessica stared at Yoona with awe as the latter devour her meal.

"Wow. You eat great." said the awe stricken girl.

Yoona swallowed. "Does it bother you? Sorry. I'm a really good eater." She smiled sheepishly.

Jessica gazes at her with uncertainty before her lips carved into a smile.

"It's okay. You look adorable though."

"You too."

"I'm a good eater?"

"No. I mean you're adorable."

Jessica hang her head down to prevent Yoona from noticing the sudden reddening of her cheeks. She pursed her lips in hopes of trying to contain herself. She glanced sheepishly at Yoona who was busy finishing her meal, a content smile was drawn on her lips

"Here!" Yoona handed Jessica a cone of ice cream. 

After their dinner, Yoona insisted on walking and as they walk they passed by an ice cream shop. Yoona bought an ice cream for the both of them.

"I love vanilla so I ordered the same for you. I hope that's okay." Yoona explained.

Jessica took it and tasted it. She gave Yoona a nod to confirm her contentment with her scoop. Yoona grinned.

"Why?" The young medical practitioner asked. They have settled on a bench to rest for a while.

Jessica raised a brow at the question. "What why?"

"Why did you accept me?" It bothered her tremendously that Jessica accepted her feelings when the latter has rejected all those who have attempted before her.

Jessica took a lungful of air before explaining. "I have liked someone for a long time now. The moment I first saw that person, I fell in love with her. I grew to like her from afar. I would smile inside whenever she'll glance at me secretly. Whenever we'll brush our shoulders while walking down the hallways, my heart starts to race. I've waited three years for her to confess. And if you we're me, when the person you like confessed to you after a long time of waiting, would you have the strength to turn her down?"

Yoona took some time to process everything. She broke into a grin .

"So you like me?"

"The moment I laid my eyes on you."

Yoona glanced at Jessica's clasped hands. She slowly left her seat and knelt in front of her, staring on those brown orbs.

"Can I hold your hand?"

Jessica slowly unclasped her hands and Yoona took her left hand, intertwining it with her right.

"Your hand is pretty rough."

Jessica's eyes widened at the remark. She wanted to breakaway from the grip but Yoona held unto it tighter.

"My hand isn't rough!" She saw Yoona sniggered. "I said my hand isn't-"

What ever she was trying to say was lost inside when Yoona pecked her cheek. It was only for a brief moment but enough to send the butterflies in her stomach flutter.

"I love you." said Yoona, her eyes never leaving Jessica's.

"I love you too." 

After their date, Yoona walked Jessica to her apartment that she shares with her friends.

"Are your friends home?" inquired Yoona.

"Why?"

"I don't want you to be alone."

Jessica caresses the girl's cheek. "Don't worry. Taeyeon and Sooyoung are home. They are practicing for their exams."

"Exam? Practice?"

"Sooyoung and Taeyeon are practicing how to inject properly. They keep on failing."

Yoona nodded pensively. She was holding onto Jessica's hands and was just staring at those eyes. It saddened her to think this night will end.

"I guess it's good night." Yoona began. Jessica hangs her head down and began drawing circles with her foot. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Jessica gave a small nod. She was still reluctant to leave Yoona's side. She feels the night is short for the two of them. It feels like Yoona was her teddy bear and she refuses to let go.

"Hey love birds!"

They turned around to whoever broke their intimate moment. It was no other than Jessica's flatmates.

"It's almost curfew Jessica. You should go in." said Sooyoung teasingly. She giggled upon seeing Jessica glaring back at her.

"Did you really have to ruin the moment?" The blonde grimaced. 

The duo smirked and reminded Jessica again of the curfew before going back inside.

"Sorry about that. My friends can be a little annoying sometimes."

"I honestly thought they were somewhat giving me a warning when I was approaching you earlier today. You know, subtly telling me I'll be rejected."

"Nah. They are just probably messing with me, surprised to see my crush coming near us."

The two stared at each others' eyes, reluctant to bid goodbyes.

"Jessica!"

They heard someone scream from inside. Jessica made a mental note to make her flatmates pay once she steps inside.





-*-*-*-





Seohyun just finished organizing Yoona's schedule for tomorrow. She neatly stacked the records of Yoona's patients before placing them inside the drawers.

"Good morning."

"Ah. Good morning Doctor Jung." greeted the young nurse. Her eyes landed on a bag Jessica was holding.

Jessica raised a skeptical brow, curious as to how this girl know her name.

"Ah. The rumor regarding an intern spread like wild fire."

"Really?" Seohyun firmly nods her head. She placed the records with surnames 'M' to their proper place. "Is Doctor Im inside?"

"Yes she is."

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."

Seohyun politely opened the door for Jessica to come in. Appreciating the kind gesture, Jessica briefly smiled.

Once inside, she immediately spotted whom she was looking for but the latter had her head on her desk. The steady rise and fall of her back indicated she was in dreamland.

Taking a few steps closer, Jessica got a full view of the girl's sleeping face. It was still the same.

"Still beautiful as ever."

She was startled when Yoona stirred. She panicky but quietly placed the bag on the desk and left without a sound.

Yoona awoken a few minutes after Jessica left. She was about to yawn but stopped midway when she saw a bag on her desk.

Curious, she took and peek through it.

"Strawberry jam sandwich?"

She tried to recall if she bought a snack before taking a nap but she didn't.

"Doctor Im. The patient is already at the therapy room."

Seohyun's voice boomed from the outside.

"Thanks Seohyun." said Yoona, a content smile was plastered on her lips.

"For what?"

"For the sandwiches."

"It wasn't me. I think Doctor Jung left it for you."

Doctor Jung? As in Jessica Jung? If Yoona would recall, strawberry jams are Jessica's favorite. So Jessica went to her office to drop the snack?

"When did she drop it?"

"Hmmm.. Just a few minutes ago."

Yoona dug her hands on her coat's pockets. She was in deep thought. Why would Jessica do that? She didn't want to assume something impossible. No.

"Doctor Im. It's time to see Taemin."

Yoona nodded and followed her assistant, marching their way to the Therapy Room.





-*-*-*-





"Thank you for visiting this ward Doctor Jung." Doctor Jang, the head of the Therapy ward said.

"It's nothing. I'm just familiarizing around the building." She politely explained to the middle aged man.

"You're doing great Taemin."

"Really doctor? Will I be able to recover soon?"

"Yes you will. You just have to behave like always, follow my medications and always exercise your leg and within no time you'll be able to walk again."

Doctor Jang and Jessica were interrupted by a conversation of two individuals at the corner of the ward.

"Who is that?" she inquired.

"Ah. That's doctor Im."

"No. The kid."

"Ah. He's Lee Taemin. He injured his leg when a car hit him. He had a physical and psychological injury. He had a trauma and can't even speak the first time he was brought here. Fascinatingly, he has able to recover psychologically just a month after the incident."

Jessica kept an eye for the boy and the girl in white next to her.

"Doctor Im." Doctor Jang stood in front of the bed Taemin was and greeted Yoona brightly. He turned to the little boy and gave him a fatherly smile. "Is Taemin doing well?"

"Of course uncle!" The young boy cried out. "Yoona noona took good care of me and I did a great job behaving well, right noona?

He turned to Yoona with a big smile. She ruffled his hair and returned a smile equally wide as his.

"Of course because Taemin is a good boy."

"No. It was actually because of you noona. When I get old, I'm going to marry you."

Yoona was surprised at the remark. So was Doctor Jang and Jessica but the latter with the most shock expression, her face darkened. Soon Yoona busted into a fit of laughter.

"How old are you?"

"I'm twelve noona."

"You can't marry me then."

"Why? Are you married?"

"No." She glanced over Jessica who looked away in return before turning back to him who was scowling. "Noona is twenty six. We are fourteen years apart."

"Then I'm going to find someone like noona - pretty, smart, kind, y... Oh, did I mention pretty?" The young boy flashed a toothy grin. "Would you visit me tomorrow noona?"

"Do you want me to?"

He nodded vigorously. He won't let a day pass without seeing his favorite noona.

"Sure. I'll drop by when I have time."





-*-*-*-






"What's his status?" asked Doctor Jang.

He and Yoona were inside his office to discuss about Taemin's condition.

Yoona flipped the papers. "He's doing great. His leg will heal in no time. He just needs to spend a few more weeks here and he'll recover. After that we can run a psychological test to know whether the accident still traumatizes him."

"He's a good kid."

"He's a great kid." corrected Yoona. "I don't know why someone like him need to suffer this kind of pain."

"He seems special to you." He said carefully.

She closed the record and smiled bitterly at him.

"I remember myself in him. You know well I also ended up in this ward way back."

His eyes formed slits and relaxed it the next second. He understood what she felt. Recalling that incident brought pain in his heart. A question suddenly popped his mind.

"You're not going to do something suicidal again, would you?"

"I won't. Don't worry too much sunbae. I learned my lesson. I have finally moved on."

A terrible accident involving Yoona during the past nearly took her life. Well, that was what she wanted in the first place, to die. Intoxicated, she anticipated a car running almost 120km/hr. When they collided she flew thirty meters away from the scene and left a huge dent on the car.

Injured head, broken ribs, arms and legs, blood loss - she was nearly dead when she was sent to the hospital. Doctor Jang was the one who took care of her. He was responsible for her successful operation and therapy. Her broken bones were healed in a short span of time.

He has also managed to squeezed out some information regarding why she did that suicidal act during their psychological run ups. He grew to know her more and when she graduated and received an invitation to intern in this hospital, she immediately agreed.

"Good."

She placed the record on his desk. He threw Taemin a quick glance.

"Did his father say he is coming?"

He sadly shakes his head. "I'm afraid not. It'll be the mother who'll visit him again. It will be better if his father can come and visit him. It might boost his spirit for a speedier recovery."

"I haven't seen him again since Taemin was rushed here the first time. He might be troubled and blaming himself for his son's accident."

"That might be possible."

She politely bowed to him. "I'll be going now Doctor Jang."

"Okay. I'll get back to you about Taemin."





-*-*-*-





Jessica slumped her face on her desk. She's been studying for the past week for the upcoming exams but whatever she is reading seems incoherent as her mind is blurry and slow to catch things. In addition to that was boredom and a week without spending much time with Yoona. 

Her phone rang and she immediately answered it once she saw who was calling.

"Yoona!" She whined.

"Did I just hear some spoiled princess whining back home?" Came a tease.

Jessica got up from her seat, obviously mad over the accusation. In what way is she a spoiled princess?

"I'm so not a spoiled princess!" She retorted. She heard a boisterous laughter from the other line fuming her even further. "Yah! Im Yoona!"

The laughter died away and was replaced by a sharp breathing. Yoona was probably trying her hardest to regain her composure.

"Why did you call?" demanded the ice princess.

"Why? Can't I not call my girlfriend?"

Jessica felt blood rushing to her cheeks. 

"Y-you can of course! D-do you need something?" Great. How can Jessica stutter?

"Where are you? Are you free right now?"

"I'm sort of studying. I'm at the apartment."

"Really? Great! I'm outside."

Jessica widened her eyes. There is no way that will happen. Yoona should be at home studying.

"Are you serious?"

"Yup. Can you open the door? It's cold out here."

Without further words, Jessica ran to the door and surely Yoona was outside.

"What are you doing here?"

"To see you. I've missed you."

The two sat on the couch, their arms wrapped around the other. They cuddled in silence until Yoona spoke.

"You must be stressed."

"You have no idea. Nothing is getting on my head." A depressed sigh escaped Jessica's lips. 

"It's because you're not having fun. Change your clothes and I'll teach you to unwind."

"No! I need to study."

"Okay. You're studying but nothing comes to your head. Know why? Your brain is tired to absorb anything. You need to have fun. Trust me. After this you'll be more relaxed and ready for another round of reading."

Jessica raised a suspici

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter