Final

Library Numbers

Sungyeol liked this library a lot. It was really small and sometimes he doubted the legality of it. All the books were donated by many people. They had a charity run every other month so there was never a shortage of books. Sungyeol always came on the third Sunday of every month to browse for new books. He also liked this library because their due dates were always 2 months, as if they had absolute faith in their customers not to lose their books.

Rifling through the "New Arrivals" section, Sungyeol saw a black and white photography book that caught his eye. Slipping it out from the creaky wooden shelf and balancing it between the edge of the shelf and his hand, he stared at the cover.

It was white with black stars exploding over random parts of the cover. The title was a simple yellow one word that was printed on the edge of the bottom. He flipped it over and saw the photographer's face who had a bright smile and crinkling eyes. 

Sungyeol decided to slink to his knees and sit with his back against the shelf. He started to flip through the book, which were just photographs arranged from black to brown through the whole spectrum of colors, before it ended on one last picture that, although was just a white rectangle, managed to blind him. The description below the photo was only a single sentence: 

"Stars Ignite, The Sun Explodes, And The Universe Combusts, But I'm Still Here."

Sungyeol squinted at the words. It made absolutely no sense. He was a literature student, sure, but this was way to vague. 

He closed the book and considered checking it out. He held it in his palm as he thought. And then he noticed the smudges on the side of the book. Leaning forward, he realized they were a series of numbers. The most surprising thing was that they were legible. 

Sungyeol checked out the book. Now he was seated at his messy, books- falling- over- each- other desk and contemplating whether to call the number or not. He wouldn't normally have considered it. Numbers have been scrawled over many of the books he'd borrowed. But he felt like he really needed to call this number. Like, really, really, really, needed to.

Staring at the number for another few seconds, he decided to call. 

It started to ring and Sungyeol held his breath as he waited for the person on the other side to answer. He wondered who the person would even be. 

And then a scratching sound brought him back.

"Hello?"

 

A breathy voice wound his way into his mind and Sungyeol smiled.

 

"Hello."