01.

The Love Complex

“Get up, get up, get up!” the boy yells, as he pushes his sister roughly. “Hyeri!” he finally screams. Her eyes flick open and she frowns up at him. His eyebrows knit as he stands up and places his hands behind his back. “Can you take me to school?” he asks, smiling cheekily. A first for him. He watches intently as his older sister sits up in her bed and rubs her eyes.

 

Raising an eyebrow, she examines him quickly. “Why?” she asks suddenly, causing him to jump slightly. “I don’t have a car, it’s not like I can drive you. What, do you want me to walk you to school?” she continues, her tone full of disbelief. Much to her surprise, he nods, his cheeks puffing out. “Can’t you make Joonie do it?”

 

Sehun shakes his head roughly from side to side. “No, it has to be you.”

 

Hyeri snorts but swings her legs off the bed anyways. Standing up, she frowns at the height difference between her and her younger brother. He used to be a tiny little boy, the little boy that would run around the house in his underwear. The little boy who would beg her to play with him. His actions this morning give her a nostalgic feeling, after all, this is the first time he’s warmed up to her in a while. “Giant,” she mumbles as she walks past him and to her closet. “Get out so I can change.”

 

Sehun obeys and scurries out of the room as Hyeri shuffles through her closet. Deciding what to wear has always been a struggle, and it will most likely remain that way. After a small debate, she ends up throwing on a red skirt and a patterned blouse. Exiting her room, she passes by her older brother’s room, sends a glare his way, and then proceeds into the bathroom to finish getting ready.

 

- - -

 

As the two siblings stroll down the street, people admire them from afar. “This is gross,” Hyeri admits, “they think we’re dating.” Sehun simply smirks and sticks his tongue out. Today must be some kind of special day as he’s acting way too happy. Normally, her younger brother is cold and distant. He doesn’t smile all that often, he’s demanding, and kind of bratty.

 

“I’m sure they’re taken aback by how good looking we are,” Sehun reasons. Rolling her eyes, she ruffles his hair quickly and then draws her hand back. Of course, Sehun hates having his hair touched. The fury bubbling behind his skin is almost visible. But then all goes calm. He laughs and nudges his sister slightly, his eyes trained on the sidewalk in front of him.

 

It’s a ruse.

 

This whole “nice” thing he has going on is fake. Hyeri curses herself, how could she not have known? Somehow, her brother is using her, it’s just a matter of time before she finds out how. His anger was visible, but something made him suppress it. Growling slightly, she casts him a furtive glance before picking up her pace. Anywhere seems better than being next to her brother.

 

As the duo reaches the front gate of the school, a smirk begins to crawl onto Sehun’s face. A group of boys that seems to be around his age watch as the two approach, their eyes darting from Sehun to her. “Yah, Sehun, who’s that?” one of them asks, his eyebrow raised as he looks Hyeri up and down. Placing an arm around his sister, he flashes a horrid smile.

 

“This is my older sister, Hyeri.”

 

The boys all stare in disbelief for a second before jumping to attention, each of them bowing respectfully. Hyeri rolls her eyes dramatically before turning away and striding down the street. Her main purpose in life is not to impress her younger brother’s friends. In fact, that’s what she wants to do the least. Sehun yells after her but she ignores him as she hurries towards the bus station. What a brat.

 

- - -

 

For a second, the boy is still, unmoving as he stares across the table at his girlfriend. “What do you mean?” he asks, his brow furrowing as he examines her face. Oh Hyeri is like a doll; she’s petite with porcelain skin, wide eyes and soft pink lips. There isn’t a guy out there who wouldn’t think of her as pretty. At the same time, most men don’t realize her beauty. Being a soft-spoken and polite girl, Hyeri isn't quite as spunky as the other girls here in Seoul.

 

Her way of life is peaceful, yet slightly introverted. She likes to talk to people, but at the same time, is scared to do so. Men see her as weak, someone who can be easily played. Someone who doesn’t know how to have fun. Her soft features, while appealing, are drastically different from that of the other girls. While they have sharp, distinct features, Hyeri is soft. She almost looks slightly blurred, as if you’re looking at her through foggy glass.

 

Rubbing his thumb over the surface of her hand, he meets her gaze and smiles. “What did you mean, Hyeri?” he asks once again. Looking down, her cheeks flush and he can tell that she’s trying to find the words. Trying to find her mind. Flustered, she glances up at him, her eyes sad.

 

“I just have this strange feeling, Woohyun,” she confesses. “Like everything is suddenly going to change. The worst part is, I can’t help but feel like you’re not here.” Woohyun looks startled for a moment, is usual collected exterior falling away temporarily. Hyeri is known for these kinds of things; she gets these “feelings” and they make her flustered and confused. Usually, Woohyun is always there to assure her that everything is fine.

 

Usually, those predictions are wrong.

 

And yet, this one is...Right. “You worry too much,” he breathes, his voice shaking. “Nothing is going to change. I’ll always love you, and we’ll be together forever. Right?” Hyeri looks unsure as she squeezes his hand, but she nods and flashes him a toothy grin. Hours pass as the two sit in the small cafe talking. The cafe they visit all the time. The cafe where they met. It holds precious memories, memories neither of them want to forget.

 

As the finally stand to leave, Hyeri grabs onto his arm and lies her head against. They exit the cafe with their hands interlocked. Outside, they stand close enough to hear the other’s heartbeat. “I love you,” Woohyun whispers, his lips tantalizingly close. And yet nothing happens. The two don’t kiss, they don’t even embrace. Hyeri’s grip tightens on the sleeve of his jacket.

 

“Why,” she begins sadly. “ Why does it feel like you’re saying goodbye for the last time?”