(i) Inside the Unusual Concave Mirror

F A N T A S Y Academy

 

 (Krystal)


I hate school. Those three letters have been in my list of vocabulary words ever since the start of Middle School. I'm sure the word "hate" and "school" have been used  in every teenager's sentences that it's almost not surprising hearing that from a High School Student. Hating School and wishing for a break have became too mainstream in Twitter and Facebook.

What I hate more was getting sent into the Principal's office for the 3rd time this year. You can probably guess that I was the class troublemaker and every little move I make will have the heart-to-heart talk with my teacher afterwards. This school was heavenly torturous and excruciatingly brutal. Or maybe I exaggerated too much but anyhow, now you have a clear idea of my great detest towards this labyrinth - a.k.a This School. I wish I can attend those schools that are being introduced in the Television. If Hogwarts exist, I will trade my cookie monster plushie just to give a go at it.

I sat on the Principal's chair for at least 4 hours straight. One hour of constant lecture from the silly bald guy, two hours of single handedly placing student files inside the drawer (I even get to check off some interesting student background), and another hour of boredly sitting on the hard mahogany chair while twirling my Hello Kitty pencil between my fingers. I sighed in boredom and annoyance. One thing is for sure, I have done enough work in this herb-scented room to do anything preposterous in class again. Oh dear Principal's office and Mr. Baldy the Principal, We are never getting back together. Ever!

"Ms. Jung." I glanced at him, the bald principal with deep wrinkles always made me cringe from his high tone voice that doesn't match his olden age.

"I hoped you learned your lesson. You have been, receiving detentions, three times this year. Don't go for the fifth one." He quirked an eyebrow while pulling on his desk drawer. I didn't pay attention but I clearly heard him his last statement.

"I can go for the tenth one if you'd like..." I look up and met the glaring gaze of the old Principal. I quickly sat straight up, brushed the invisible dust on my printed uniform skirt, and curved my lips into an angelic smile. Who knew I can pull off the angelic look when a devil's mind reigned my brain most of the time.

"I'll make sure not to go for a fourth one, Mr. Cho." I batted my eyelashes relunctantly. The old man stands up from his chair. "You promised Ms. Jung?" I nodded with a radiant smile. Lies. As if it was me that does those silly pranks in class. Blame my brain for everything that's been happening. The old principal gestures for me to stand up and I know it's my cue to leave this god-forsaken room.

I closed the door behind me with a soft thud. The hallways are almost empty since it's 20 minutes past the dismissal time. Man, I spent skipped at least 3 subjects today, not that I want to go to class. But I will rather see myself doodling on my desk than hearing his irritating lectures of student etiquette. At least I know table manners.

I walked down the hallway tiredly. Every time I'm lonely without my best buds by my side I tend to think about my life. What bothered me the most was that Cookie Monster keychain one of my classmates own. It was the latest edition. And then there goes my grades, that I would rather not talk about. Next was my best friend's cheating boyfriend in which I nailed his balls for revenge. I was proud for that and my best friend could never be thankful. And lastly was....

I stopped in front of an odd looking door that I wasn't quite sure if I saw this one before. The school corridors are mostly full of white or brown doors but this one was glowing gold with glittering sparkles embeded. The door handle looked like it's made of pure gold, oh boy, you can make millions of bucks with that. I stared at the door weirdly as if trying to figure out how it suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Then something click in me that the art department is exactly on this floor. The students must've took the initiative to paint the doors to show creativity and colours in the name of art. I can't blame them, the hallways needed some graphics.

Curiosity took me and I stepped up and covered the handle with my palms. It was oddly warm, very warm to be exact. I twisted the door knob carefully as to not make any screeching noises in case the art department students decided to have a meeting in the late hours of the afternoon. I peeked inside but saw nothing. I widen the gap further and nothing was inside. I came in and closed the door behind me cautiously and it made a soft click. I turned around and my vision saw a room full of mirrors. I can see mirrors from my peripheral vision, I can see mirrors, albeit my nearsightedness caused me to see a blury image of a mirror, but it was still a mirror. It was practically a room full of mirror mazes. I never knew the school was hosting a carnival this soon.

I walked with light footsteps and abruptly stopped at each mirror to see my different reflections. One showed an appearance of me with huge pupils and mouth. The next showed the very skinny me. Another showed a big fat belly. Another exhibited long legs and short arms Ms. Jung. It was really a mirror maze. I was having so much fun, making silly faces that I came across a fancy looking mirror with white pearls on the frame. It was spherical and huge and as I aproached it I saw my huge reflection. We have learned this in Science class, although I wasn't paying attention most of the time, however, the famous topic of the Concave Mirror interest me. I was fooling around in front of the mirror, goofying like there's no tomorrow. I was unfathomably having the time of my life.

For the next couple of minutes I was suddenly in dazed. All I could remember was the cold surface of the mirror that my hand inevitably touched. Then I felt whole entire body being pulled in with so much pressure that I thought I was going to meet God sooner than expected. I closed my eyes tightly and I can hear soft swooshes. It felt like I was inside a slide. An endless slide that I wished it will end real soon. One big splash and BOOM I felt my face against a soft object.

I could make out cotton candy clouds.

I could make out big lollipop trees.

I could make out purple and pink birds.

I could make out the shoe house right down the block.

I could make out a little firefly waving at me with it's star stick.

 

I could make out a Fairy, looking directly at my soul.