Final

Transparent

“New lyrics, Yoongi-hyung?”

Yoongi looks up at his smiling younger member who’s taking a seat in front him, before nodding slightly. He eyes the Starbucks crest on the paper cup, or rather, the name written on the cup – JIMIN with a smiley next to it, which is not there at his. He smiles inward; so the boy is practising his charm even to Starbucks baristas. Opposite to Yoongi, of course, who is less than amicable most of the time when it doesn’t involve their fans. He is too tired, too drained, to smile, anyway so he could forgive the barista for the mere quick scribble of his name on the cup.

Jimin is putting on his Beats by Dr.Dre headphones –the keepsake of his very first trainee allowance – and soon, he is gone off to his own land of music. It is not out of rudeness to Yoongi; in fact, it is quite a routine; Yoongi with his notebook and pen with lyrics materials dancing around his mind, Jimin with his headphones and vacant stare of dance moves that only he can sees. It is nothing out of ordinary, but today instead of transforming the jumble of thoughts to rap lyrics, Yoongi finds himself paying attention to boy before him.

Park Jimin, the last member added to the group – in charge of vocals, dance and, yes, charms, which basically means aegyo.

There is more of Jimin than those qualities, though, Yoongi thinks. Of course, Jimin could hit those high notes without much problem and he is only not the main vocal because there is Jungkook the Golden Maknae. His dance is only second best to Hoseok – free and original, which gives their choreographer a headache from time to time since it makes him harder to mould into uniformity. But the choreographer loves his energy, no doubt, and his flexibility as a former martial arts practiser makes more complex moves possible so there is no complaint on his position in the dance line. And let’s not talk about how natural he is in charming people.

But there is indeed more of him than those.

First, there is Jimin who purposely messes up some steps so that he can be tutored personally by the choreographer and let the other members take a break for a while when he notices that Seokjin is getting less and less focused and the grimace on Namjoon’s face is transforming into a scary scowl. Yoongi notices that, because Jimin always looks around for the members, to see if they have enough rest to last them some more sessions of dance practices. Even if his effort is wasted on the younger members who use the precious break time to fool around and drain their unlimited energy, Jimin keeps doing it every time the calls for it –because he knows even Seokjin and Namjoon will do better when they are well-rested and he wants to be in sync with everyone as much as possible.

There is also Jimin who lets himself join the bundle of liveliness that is Kim Taehyung no matter how tired he is so that he can be at least in control of the chaos. He would make sure they fool around away from the Yoongi and his lyrics, Namjoon with his beats and Hoseok with his dances. The youngest Jungkook joins them every now and then, but when Jungkook doesn’t want to be bothered (the elder members call it puberty fits) it is Jimin’s job to ensure that Taehyung is well-companied that he wouldn’t do something stupid such as messing up with the temperamental Jungkook. It is no easy task to match Taehyung’s never depleting energy (Jimin does wonder where does he get so much energy) but as long as the peace within the group is ensued, Jimin could live with that.

 And there is Jimin who joins Yoongi for a coffee but leaves for the toilet just as it is their turn without making any order. Yoongi sees through it since the first time; it is Jimin’s polite way of preventing Yoongi from having to pay for him, since he is younger and all. Taehyung and Jungkook would jump at the very first sight of getting treated but Jimin is much more independent than both of them combined together. He is much more reserved, too, relatively –Yoongi remembers back when they first get their stage names, Jimin would always call him just SUGA and be mortified of it; all because he is not adapted to the stage name and SUGA is still such a foreign name that he often forgets that it belongs to someone he should call ‘hyung’. Yoongi tells him just to call him ‘Yoongi-hyung’ as usual since they haven’t debuted and all, and even if he calls him SUGA, he wouldn’t mind because it doesn’t matter to him. But Jimin insists to practise to call him ‘SUGA-hyung’ (and also in case of RapMon-hyung and Hobie-hyung and V) because ‘it will make them more real to the fans’.

Now that he thinks about it, Yoongi kind of misses Jimin’s “SUGA…-hyung”s. He can say it with ease now, though he still opts for ‘Yoongi-hyung’ in private.

There is so much more that Yoongi can think of Jimin; his insecurity for being the least good-looking member of the maknae line (his own word, not anyone’s else and Taehyung’s indifference and Jungkook’s overflowing confidence don’t help a thing) and his characteristic laughs that renders even Yoongi in his worst mood to smile – but the lyrics he is supposed to be working on calls for his attention and he realizes he hasn’t that much time to spare. He puts the thought aside, with a silent promise to look out for Jimin more as an older member.

Perhaps, if someday he was asked on his favourite member, he would answer with Jimin. It would make him happy for sure – Yoongi could almost see his eyes turning to slits and his face scrunched into his signature smile –and as someone who has so much to give for the group, Yoongi thinks that Jimin deserves to be happy the most. 

 

p.s. I'm sorry >< (and thanks for reading ^^)