Prologue

Eye for an Eye

Twice in a row. It was the second time that month Jonghyun had to go up two stories, all dragging feet and mumbling nonsense; two stories of sore limbs moving up the stairs.
If there was any strength left when reaching the place, he had it reserved for calling the door. If there was any pride left when reaching the door, he had to swallow it before it was answered. Because having a black eye out in the open wasn't worth the remains of himself and having a bruise covered body run free wasn't worth the amount of money he earned.
The amount of annoyance and worry on Kibum's face after he opened the door was really worth it, though. "Don't tell me" was the first thing to come out of those lips.
"All right, I won't. Can you just please help me?"
"You don't need to look any more pathetic, so just quit it with that look" Kibum said as he turned and went back inside the apartment. He could always seem so cold; still, the door was left open. A slight chuckle left Jonghyun's lips as he followed his friend inside.
 
"You could always try not to make it worse" Jonghyun whined after wincing for the fifth time as Kibum wrapped a bandage around his forearm. Kibum huffed.
To him, his neighbor was annoying already -no bruises included- so Jonghyun winced once more, and sure it wasn't because of the glare Kibum had sent him. Jonghyun returned the glare as he rubbed the spot softly, watching Kibum put everything back into his first aid-kit box. 
He had said nothing at all, just getting his mind on treating Jonghyun's wounds; if you could call slapping ointment onto his skin and constantly glaring angrily at alcohol covered cotton balls 'treating'.
"Why don't you do it yourself then?" Kibum finally said, looking back at him after being done with the kit.
Jonghyun smirked, expecting this kind of retort "Because I like your attention"
Kibum rolled his eyes "Shut up and get to bed" and shoved him a pajama shirt, sneaking under the bed covers later, his back to the other man. Jonghyun put the shirt on and reached for the light switch before tugging inside the covers with his friend. He snuggled close. "Night, Kibum"
He didn't get a reply back.
 
Kibum was mad.
Jonghyun acted cocky to shield himself. Kibum followed suit and acted annoyed because that hurt less.
Kibum was mad; he wished he could fix Jonghyun's wounds with colored band-aids just as he would with his physical ones.
 
"You know it's pointless"
"Funny thing, that's what I'd usually be saying to you"
Kibum let out a huff "I mean the concealer. It's pretty much pointless" Jonghyun's eye was so dark and swollen there was no way he could cover it.
"Still, it doesn't look as bad" Jonghyun's sense of self preservation told him there was no way he could go out just like that. "I'll be leaving now. Thanks for everything" Your cooking is awesome as always. Your bed and sheets are the most comfortable. Your attentions help me keep up with every time. But he just lingered on the entrance, a hand on the doorknob. He needn't say anything; one look to Kibum, one smile, and he was ready to take on anything that could be waiting on the other side of that door.