Chapter 1

The Last Howl

The full moon hung high overhead, serving as the only source of light in the dark night. There were no stars tonight, no twinkling in the sky, just the round pale moon and dark clouds passing every now and then. This seemed like a perfect scene for one of those movies, like the one with vampires and werewolves and all those other fictional creatures. You strode along the street, already used to having to walk by yourself at night. Unlike many girls, you weren't scared at all- for some reason, you felt comfortable with being by yourself, outside, at night. But today, was different..maybe it was the strange wind blowing that made you feel uneasy...or the moon, sometimes half covered by the clouds....or your own shadow that was cast upon some buildings by the moon...whatever it was....it just felt weird and almost mysterious.

Trying to shove the weird thoughts and feelings in the corner of your brain, you quickened your pace and just wanted to go home, curl up in your bed...and sleep! Yeah...well...that didn't really quite happen...Suddenly, you notice a brown, furry shape, lying in the distance near a bush. The beam of moonlight illuminated upon its unmoving body. You were a cursious person, okay? And you sort of surprised yourself when you stepped closer to examine what creature that body belonged to. Like who wouldn't be if they see some unknown blur of brown on the streets? *note the saracasm* It didn't have any blood on it, so it definately wasn't like some roadkill or something. When you got nearer to it, you could hear some type of pitiful whimpering erupting from its throat. Omg its alive! you thought. Maybe its an oversized dog! You absolutely loved dogs, they were so cute! Most of them though...well...there's expections to everything, right?

You finally got close enough to see its face, totally expecting one to those big, cute dogs...but as soon as you peered over, you were greeted by a pair of brown, menacing eyes that snapped open and looked yellow under the moon. That wasn't that scary part...you reached your hand out to pet it...still thinking it was a dog...but then it opened its mouth to reveal sharp, bared teeth of a wolf. Letting out a terrified shriek, you immediately pulled your hand away and started sprinting. The beast followed you...well....he tried...it was more like a limping motion and when you looked over your shoulder, it collasped...once again making those whimpering noices. They tug at your heart this time...and a wave of sympathy washed over you...ugh! why do i have to be so nice? to have such a CARING heart? yeah...you knew this was no time to joke around but you just couldn't help but feel this small tug at the corners of your lips. Okay! Back to being serious here...carefully, you approached the creature and this time, there was nothing but hurt and pain showing through its eyes that stared at you.