Chapter 1: Forgetting , Remembering ...... they lead somewhere far from reality

Endless Goodbyes

           Every morning it's the same thing. I wake up in cold sweat from a nightmare I'm never able to remember. It's very frustrating , especially since this month was supposed to be my relaxing vacation from work. Already five days , and I still feel empty , almost as if I've been missing something important. Sighing I munched on my corn flake cereal in the deafening silence of my bleak apartment. Same breakfast , same everything. My tired body craved its daily caffeine , forcing me out the door and down to the nearest Starbucks. Just like any other day , the place was packed. I patiently waited about ten minutes before finally ordering my beverage. I opened the lid and blew on the burning hot liquid to cool it off. Once I deemed it cool enough , I gulped the warm sweet coffee that deliciously heated my throat. The sudden need to change my daily routine drove me to a small park not too far from where I currently was , for a walk. The refreshing breeze running through my hair made the walk pleasant , no one seemed to be at the park , or at least not until I found a man sitting on a bench from a far. As I grew closer to the figure I could see his long raven hair swaying in the wind , his cherry lips frowning deeply . What caught my attention the most was his beautiful round eyes , the man's peaceful presence was alluring , his eyes pulling me in a trance. I found my self sitting right beside him , glancing every so often at his radiant facial features. The stranger's milky complexion was utterly flawless , he truly was a beauty to behold. The quiet scenery only heightened the virtuous moment. I sighed for the umpteenth time this morning yet , except this was from the pure relaxation undertaking my body.

          "It's a lovely day isn't it?" The angelic man beside me spoke , his voice suited that attractive face of his. I nodded .

          "Yes it is......."I'll looked over to him , he smiled .

          "It's just like that day"

          "What do you mean?"I stared at him confused , what day could he possibly be talking about? His silence pushed my curiosity further , he still kept his smile , not once did it waver.

          " Last Tuesday , it was as nice as today" duh , I mentally faced palmed at my over thinking brain , what else could he have meant?

          " Why yes , it was" the two of us didn't utter a word after that , we just sat there admiring nature's perfect scenery. A sudden vibration in my pocket indicated I received a message.

 

             From: Unknown

                I'm sorry ........ I miss you.

 

          Huh? I guess someone has the wrong number. Ignoring the text I glimpsed next to me wanting to catch another look at the man beside to me but, he had vanished . Almost like he was never there.

         ______________________________________________

          I felt slightly disappointed that I was unable to ask for the stranger's name . I wanted to befriend the other . Stretching my arms I decided it was time for me to get some rest , hopefully I'll see the beauty again tomorrow. Yawning for the last time I made sure the alarm was set and snuggled in the warmth of the feather soft blankets on the bed.

______________________________________________

          It was a miracle . I didn't have a nightmare, I still am unable to remember the dream, yet I woke with that happy feeling and I swear I recall having dreamt about something. For a solid ten minutes of walking to Starbucks and ordering my coffee , I tried hard to piece what the dream could have been about , but to no avail. Not a single recollection , just a white image appears in my mind. Without realizing it , I had stumbled upon the same area in the park where I had met the beauty. The icy air perked the hairs on my body , goosebumps forming on my arms and legs. Shivers ran up my spine , I disposed of the empty cup and proceeded to the bench hoping to meet the man once again. I rubbed my arms to radiate some warmth to them. Wouldn't you know it , it turns out he really was there , sitting just as beautiful as yesterday. The same look in his eyes . I casually sat next to him , he turned to me and smiled , his cherry lips looking luscious than ever.

          "Hello , I see you came back"

          "Yup , I merely could not avoid this scenery." He chuckled gracefully , he remained the most stunning creature that I'd ever laid sight on.

          "I'm Kim Jaejoong" he reached his fragile hand out to me , I shook it without batting an eye.

          "I'm........" wait who am I? All this time and I never stop to think who I am. How could I not know my name ? What the he'll is going on with me? " I'm ...... I don't know who I am" " I know you don't" he whispered .

          "What?" I furrowed my eyebrows , my brain trying hard to digest the other's words .

          "It's nothing" Jaejoong's expression seemed unfazed , his calm demeanor confused me further.

          "Huh?" He let out a muffled laugh and playfully smacked my shoulder.

          "I was joking , silly" for the third time I had read into his words too much , making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is.

          " Oh ..... Well are you here everyday?" I avoided the topic of my name seeing that I don't know it , I'm sure it'll come back to me.

          "Yea , this place holds lots of memories" he bowed his head probably at the nostalgic feeling the place gave off to him.

          "What kind of memories?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

          " Happy ones ....... and sad ones" not the exact answer I was looking for but it's a start.

          " I see " I pursed my lips thinking of something to say.

          " You seem to want to know more about it , don't you?" He looked in my eyes amused at my dumbfounded expression. I didn't want it to be so obvious.

          "Yea .... I can't help but be curious , you know?" The beauty's breath hitched , his expression full of despair. "Are you okay?" At my words Jaejoong was pulled out of his trance.

          "Yes ....... I was thinking that may be I'll tell you about the memories haunting my every thought." His eyes wandered to the distance , struggling with an unknown feeling .

          " I'd love to listen to anything you have to say"

          "Thank you. I used to live with four friends in a house that belonged to one of them . Over time I fell in love with the second oldest of my friends. It took some time but with the help of my best friend , the youngest, I mustered the courage to confess. I cried all night when he returned the feelings , he loved me too. Three years later we were married and moved to a small apartment. My best friend and I worked in an entertainment company as vocal trainers while the my husband worked as a dance trainer. That one day my best friend and I went to this very park . He covered my eyes when I sat right here. When he finally removed his hand from my face , the man I loved stood right before me with two mics in his hand. He sang , I sang the three of us did together. The following day after we were done teaching the trainees , we were on or way to meet my husband. If only I had known we'd never see him again....." He stopped abruptly , I tried processing his story , but it was confusing without proper names being given .

          "What were their names?" His head hung low , I could hear his soft sniffles.

          " I can't tell you now. I will tomorrow , don't forget to come."

          "Wait why can't -" before I could finish speaking a loud buzz emitted from my Jean pocket stopped me. I grabbed my phone and read the message.

 

               From: Unknown

                     I miss hearing the sound of your voice ......... I wish you were here.

          Not again with this stupid interrupting text. I turned my attention back to Jaejoong , but just as yesterday ...... He disappeared.

          ______________________________________________

          I arrived at my home jittery with confusion. The amount of unanswered questions swimming through my thoughts were driving me mad. Searching through the massive piles of paper stacked on the office desk , I searched for papers containing my name on it. I stood appalled , my vision spun , Jaejoong's image flashed through my mind. All the sheets before me laid blank. Not a single sentence , let alone a word , was written on them. Something was not right . Mustering as much strength as possible I swayed to the bedroom and rummaged through my phone's contacts. Nothing . My phone's information wasn't there either. Those strange text were the only thing on it. Sighing in defeat I let my eyelids drown away the pulsing of my skull and settled for the day.

       ______________________________________________

          The booming thunder jerked my body from the comfort of the bed landing with a thud on the icy cold floorboards. Groaning I lifted my body with the very little energy I had left in my arms and crawled lazily to my bed. Goosebumps formed on my tanned skin , shivers following their appearance. A flash of white and blue seeped though the window followed by thunder. The heat of the blankets embracing my built body pulled me back to sleep . The weight on my eyelids shutting my vision.

          " Don't worry , everything will be okay" an echoing whisper invading my mind whisked the sleep from my eyes. I turned my head to where the sound came from. A black figure stood unmoved .

          " I'm sure it'll be fine" another voice sounded to my right side this time. A shorter black figure was standing there.

          " If anything I got your back" a deep voice coming from the foot of my bed grabbed my attention. Yet again it was a black entity.

          "All of us here gotta stick together to protect one another . Never forget." Beside the first figure was a taller figure hugging his waist.

          "Thanks" a fifth figure spoke , then all five if the huddled together , they all laughed . In a blink of an eye , the first four figures disappeared leaving the last one behind facing the window. Right in front of the bookcase a tall lanky figure materialized. The other one turned to face him.

          "I love you" they whispered and just like that they were gone . Their words replaying themselves . The room began to spin . My skull felt as if it was splitting in two. My hands instinctively gripped the sides of my head , my eyes tightly shut. I could feel my conscious slipping into darkness in an aching sluggish pace. And suddenly it all stopped. I opened one eye . The lanky figure leaned into my ear and said.

          "I love you" my eyes rolled to the back of my head , drowning in the silence surrounding me. The last ounce of strength left in me drained.

       ______________________________________________

          I woke in a daze . The taste of bile coating my tongue . I could feel my cool moist cheeks stiffen at the frightening scenes of last night. Was it all a dream ? I seriously couldn't tell. It was all surreal and I just couldn't shake the hazy feeling in the pit of my gut. I need answers. I made my way to the park not even bothering to stop for morning coffee. The adrenaline coursing through my veins were suffice. I anxiously approached the bench , Jaejoong's slim figure came to view in the far distance. Picking up the pace I sat beside the beauty .

          "Good morning nameless" he waved at me .

          " Mornin' Jaejoong" I tapped my foot impatiently wanting to get straight to the point , but I didn't want to be rude so I kept my nerves in check.

          " I'm guessing you want to start getting straight to the point , right?" Can this guy read minds or what? 

          "Yes please "

          " Well then , my husband's name is Jung Yunho , my best friend is Shim Changmin. My other two friends who married each other are Kim Junsu and Park Yuchun. We all knew one another since elementary and lived in the same house during college. The house we lived in was a gift to Changmin from his rich father . It was fairly big , four bedrooms , three bathrooms , large kitchen , living room and a spacey backyard. And just as I said yesterday I fell in love with Yunho , confessed my feelings which he returned and eventually we got married. But what I didn't tell you was that this is the very spot , we meet , kissed , where he proposed and even where we got married. Yet , even with all the joyous memories this place holds , it still stands as a reminder of the worst. Changmin and I had just finished teaching the trainees at our company and we were heading out to wait for Yunho who had to stay at work for an extra hour at the park. We were just sitting here on this very bench , talking about our star pupils and this harmless looking man behind to ask us a few questions. He asked what were our names and how we were then suddenly , he pulls out a gun. My body stiffened , I held my breathe as the whole moment played in slow motion , his gun pointed at me. BAM! I felt my body hurl to the floor . I my knees , the worst possible scene laid before me . Changmin's lifeless body sprawled out on the ground , blood pouring out of the bullet hole in the side of his head. I crawled to his side , tears marred my vision . My trembling hand reached to his pale cold face . A sick inhumane laughter ring above my head , yet I refused to revert my eyes from Changmin's eyes. A click sounded then BAM! ........" he stopped speaking , his body shaking in anger and sadness his eyes hooded with regret. " We died that day...... Me and you ......." he looked over to me , his eyes locked on mine . I could only stare back in utter silence. "We died."

          Did I hear him correctly ? You we died , what? Then why are we... I....what? An ear numbing ring disturbed my unorganized thoughts . A twinge in my skull forced my body of the bench and crashing harshly on the concrete ground. Closing my eyes tightly I begged for it to stop and it did. I reached for the bench for support and lifted my body onto it , Jaejoong was gone and the uneasy feeling wasn't. The uncontrollable churning in my stomach forced me to stay seated even though I'd much rather be home to rest . When the pain subdued I was ready to head on home , however I caught sight of a fit tanned man with brown haired styled nicely , walking towards my direction. In his hand he held a bouquet of Calla Lilies. A forlorn expression shadowing his handsome features. He came to a stop right in front of the green bench I am currently seated on. His eyes glued on the spot beside me. I watched as he squatted beside it and placed the flowers near my thigh. He ran his fingers on the chipped wood.

 

                                          'JY + KJ'

 

          The initials were carved into the seat , a lone tear sneaked out of the man's eye landing on the decaying wood.

          "I miss you . It hurts so much" his voice was hoarse .

          "Hey are you okay?" I asked. No answer . I reached out to tap his shoulder and to my horror my hand flew through his body.

           " Yunho don't cry" a small red haired man spoke , another standing beside him holding his waist. Behind the two stood another man with curly honey brown hair . He was biting his lower lip tightly , trying to suppress the miserable feeling eating away at him. A small sob escaping his bruised lips . My heart stopping that very instant. I remember it all now.

          Yunho , Jaejoong , Junsu , Yuchun , and Kyuhyun. I remembered.

                                 Our first kiss ,

                                 My proposal,

                                 His laughter,

                                 His smile,

                                 His tears I swore to never let fall,

                                 The wedding ,

                                 My name he called when in distress,

                                 The honeymoon and the image of him  

                       withering under me as we made love for the first

                       time as a married couple ,

                                 The promises of love we made,

                                  I remember it all. I am Shim Changmin , my best friend is Kim Jaejoong , his husband is Jung Yunho , Kim Junsu my loyal dolphin , Yuchun his playboy husband and Cho Kyuhyun the man I feel in love with. I remember it all. A hand on my shoulder brought me to my feet . Turning to face the owner of the hand I found as teary eyed Jaejoong. I threw myself in the solace of his arms.

           "Joongie I'm sorry , I'm so sorry " his soft hand ran through my wavy brunette hair.

           "It's okay Min , it's okay" he rested his chin on my head , a damp feeling on my head , but I didn't care. A buzz in my pocket grabbed my attention.

 

                        From: Unknown

                              I love you.....

           I turned to gaze at the honey haired man. He clutched a phone tightly to his chest. A smile making its way to my face.

                                       "I love you too"