❤ True Love Believes

Dolls

The house was silent as Junhong laid flat on the living room floor. His parents had left to go grocery shopping, leaving him alone in his house. He didn't know what to do. Usually, he didn't mind being left alone. His parents left the house so often that he was more alone than not. However, he always had Hayi. Hayi was there to sing and laugh. But she was gone. 

The drone of the house's functions lulled his anxious mind. The radiator hissed and the pipes groaned. However, suddenly, he heard the clicking of the door.

Junhong's head shot up. He scrambled to his feet quickly as Hayi came into view, her hands clasped in front of her. Her hair was in a neat little bun as she wore light blue jeans and a violet graphic t-shirt. She wore white, hand-designed sneakers, her eyes fixated on them. It was clear that she felt bad. Junhong wasn't angry. It was clear when he spoke. "Hayi! Are you okay? Where'd you go? Do you need anything? What's wrong?"

Brown orbs looked up with such sweet relief that Junhong hugged her instantly. Hayi hugged him back, her small hands gripping onto his shirt. "I'm so sorry. Being alone is so scary. There are so many things that could break me... I'm so glad I have you to protect me," she cried, her voice muffled by his chest. "I had to go somewhere, with people. People I know. I'm so sorry."

"Sh, sh, it's okay," he muttered, soothing her softly. His hands began to rub her back in a circular motion. "Jongup and Yongguk wanted to meet you. I thought you'd be here."

The teenager felt the girl in his arms tense up automatically. She slowly let go of his shirt, stepping out of his embrace reluctantly. Her head was still bowed down, afraid to lift her chin in the slightest way.

"That can't happen," she muttered, her voice hushed and low. 

"What do you mean? My friends won't believe me unless they meet you. They think I thought you up. That I'm just imagining things and I can't possibly have someone care about me so much," he told her, his voice ringing with the anxiety that's been ripping at him since his friends' visit. Hayi's head lifted as her eyes shone with sympathy.

Her eyes seemed to speak such comfort, soothing Junhong's distraught mind. He fell to his knees with a soft thud, holding onto Hayi's waist. Her small hands started to weave through his short hair. Everything about her was so welcoming, like a mother's lullaby. He sighed contently, pacified from the warmth that Hayi emitted.

"How about I sing a song? That'll make you feel better," she whispered. 

Junhong grinned, standing up and laying down on the living room couch. Hayi let out an airy laugh that travelled the air with unlikely grace. She sat down on the couch; the two adjusting so that Junhong's head was on Hayi's lap. 

"My love is like a red rose," she sang. Her soft lips forming clear, beautiful notes. Her hand brushed his hair messily, some strands wrapping around her fingers. "It may be beautiful now, but my sharp thorns will hurt you."

Her words were the only thing that could be heard. It was as if the house quieted just to hear her sing. Junhong had his eyes closed, a ghost of a smile resting on his lips. Hayi's free hand went to caress his cheek, trailing against his flawless skin with ease. "My love is like a red rose. Yes, I may be fragrant."

She suddenly took a deep, sharp breath. As if a cold wind shocked her.

"But the closer you get, the more I'll hurt you."

Junhong had fallen asleep. His mind was finally at ease, all his worries and panic gone. The release of such emotions left him tired and her voice lulled him to a dreamy sleep. 

"Don't look at me with that light glance." Her voice cracked near the end as her back suddenly straightened. She could feel herself tense up. "Don't speak of love easily." Tears fell delicately from her left eye.

Not only had they come for her while she was with someone, they came to her while she was singing. 

..."If you want my heart, you need to take my pain, too."

They will never leave her now.