❤ True Love is Patient

Dolls

"So this is love," Hayi sang happily as she gathered all sorts of pots and pans to cook with, "Mm-mmm. So this is love." 

Her honey blonde hair was up in a messy bun. She had a round face, all of which was completely makeup-free. Hayi let out a soft yawn as she stretched daintily in front of the stove. Then, she began to cook happily. "So this is what makes life divine."

The sizzling of eggs, spices and cheese hung in the air as she cooked. She had a graceful sway as she moved around the kitchen, preparing breakfast. Hayi flipped the omelette once more before she began to work on some toast. "I'm all aglow, mm-mm," she sang some more. 

Shuffling could be heard just down the hallway. Hayi smiled widely, pausing her cooking to peek around the corner. Her eyes brightened adorably as she saw a tall figure yawn loudly. "Junhong! Good morning, sunshine! I'm making you breakfast so just hang on tight," she exclaimed exuberantly as she squeezed an idle hand. With a small turn of her heel, Hayi skipped back into the kitchen to finish her cooking. Junhong rubbed his eyes, a foolish grin donning his face. 

He shuffled towards the dining room table that had a clear view of the spacious kitchen. His mind was still groggy and his eyes were still adjusting to the light of the new day. Even then, he felt his heart burst as he saw the young woman preparing their breakfast. His cheek met with the smooth surface of the table, his head becoming too heavy for his tired shoulders. Junhong felt his eyelids droop. No matter how hard he fought against it, his eyes fluttered shut. 

"And now I know," Hayi continued to sing, not noticing Junhong's dilemma. "The key to all heaven is mine." 

She had prepared his plate, complete with a lightly salted omelette and buttered toast. Humming the rest of the sweet tune, Hayi placed the plate down at the table along with a cup of orange juice. Junhong began to snore lightly, making Hayi notice. She had a small, amused smile on her face as she softly pinched his exposed neck. The young man shot up instantly and rubbed his eyes vigorously.

"I was not asleep!" 

A soft laugh bubbled out of Hayi's throat as she sat down, pushing the plate towards the boy. "Whatever you say, sunshine. Now, eat up. You got soccer practice in an hour."

"Junhong?" his mother called out as Junhong was eating. "Junhong, is that you making all that noise?"

Hayi straightened her posture, clasping her hands together on the table. Her eyes flashed towards Junhong as she bit her bottom lip. She looked unsure and afraid, similar to the way a deer in the middle of the road looks when a car is coming towards it.

"Yeah, sorry about that, mum," he told her as he stuffed his mouth with more food. His head was lowered near the plate, not looking up when his mother entered the dining room. 

"You know, I would've made you breakfast if you just asked," her mother said softly, glancing at the young girl. She grimaced, and that was the only acknowledgement Junhong’s mother gave her. Hayi hung her head in shame, avoiding Junhong's gaze. She even hid her clasped hands underneath the table, too embarrassed to do anything else. Junhong grunted in response, shoving another forkful of food in his mouth. "Junhong... you've been acting very different lately. Is something the matter?"

When he finished swallowing, his eyes were fixated on Hayi. She had stopped abusing her lip and was now staring at the table, looking completely defenseless. He hated that look on her and it always appeared whenever someone else came around. He didn't look at his mother as he said, "Yeah. Yeah, I mean, I'm just working on some things, I guess. Although, it helps to be alone... I can't expect it all the time." 

His mother was greatly offended not only by his choice of words but the tone. It was informal, rude and unwelcoming. She tried to not let it show as she straightened her back and stepped back. Hayi finally looked up as her head tilted lightly towards the mother. Her expression was blank, however, her brow was slightly knit together. It was almost in confusion, like she was wondering why she was retreating in such a fashion. "Very well, Junhong. We leave for soccer practice at 7:15, do you understand?" she asked, clearly hostile and hurt. 

"Yeah, I'll be ready then. So sorry for waking you up," he muttered carelessly as he devoured another bite of eggs and cheese. Hayi looked back at Junhong, her bottom lip trembling. 

"Why do you have to be so mean to her? She is your mother."

"I see the way she makes you feel, Hayi. I don't want you feeling that way. You don't deserve that, okay? You're too good to have anyone make you feel so ashamed and inferior," Junhong explained to her, trying to be stern. However, the care he had for the young woman made it seem too soft for his taste. 

Hayi shook her head adamantly, looking like a stubborn child. "It's just not right for you to throw away your friends and family. You need them, too." 

A sharp scoff left the teenager's lips as he finished his breakfast. "Need them? Nah. I need you, Hayi. I need you to be happy."

He got up from his chair and took his dirty dishes to the kitchen sink. He let them clatter at the bottom, creating loud clangs and sharp clinks for the whole household to hear. He was muttering angry, incoherent words as he started washing them. 

Small arms wrapped around his waist as he felt Hayi pressed her cheek against his back. She sighed heavily before squeezing him. There were a few moments of unspoken words and the tap water running every now and then before Hayi began to sing again. "My heart has wings, mm-mm. And I can fly." 

Junhong smiled dreamily. In the back of his mind, he thought about how Hayi had to stay home while he went out. He hated it. But she was afraid of leaving a safe place. She told him that she was afraid of breaking. So he didn’t mind. 

He wanted to hear her sing all the time.