She Said My Name

Knight In Shining Sneakers

“This is stupid, just go inside.”

“In a second ok? I don’t want to make it look too obvious!” Kai had been peeking into a door window before ducking down. He whispered even though there was no one around to eavesdrop.

“Too obvious? You like to dance, this is a dance club and considering she doesn’t even know who you are, signing up to join the club isn’t going to look obvious.” Kris rolled his eyes. He was leaning against the wall opposite the door texting on his phone.

 

From: Princess Jung

Is there a reason why you’re late meeting me for coffee? I thought you said we were going to meet right after school.

 

From: Kris

A friend dragged me along to sign up for the dance club.

 

From: Princess Jung

Dance club? The club Hyo’s in? Oh tell her I said hi! And tell her to return my damn texts!

 

From: Kris

Yes that club. I’m not playing messenger, tell her yourself. I’m leaving now ok? Be there soon.

 

From: Princess Jung

Boo you! You never do what I tell you to. Hurry up then! Love you!!! <3

 

Kris didn’t respond. He always found a way to get out of responding whenever she said she loved him, which she just started doing recently. It’s not that he didn’t want to say it, he just wasn’t ready. It made him feel completely out of his comfort zone. He wasn’t the mushy type and she was constantly making him feel mushy even though he didn’t dare show it. The fact that whenever he read it made him blush was embarrassing enough. He quickly cleared his throat and shut off the phone.

“I gotta go. I’m meeting Jessica. Quit being a coward and go in and make some friends so you’ll stop pestering me. A junior hanging out with a lower classman could be bad for my reputation.” He lifted himself away from the wall and began to walk down the hallway of the Music/Theater Department.

Kai waved him away and continued to stare into the window. Finally he quietly opened the door and slinked inside.

There was about 20 or so students in the large studio room. Everyone was talking or stretching or going over dance moves to themselves in the corner. Toward the front of the room there were five girls dancing to some music in front of a large floor to ceiling mirror that spanned the whole length of the room. The flash of blonde hair immediately caught his attention. She was wearing a black sports bra top and matching black pants with gold and white hi-top sneakers. She was performing a choreographed dance with the remaining four girls.

 

Ah!Ah!Ah! I’m an animal!
Ah!Ah!Ah! Ai no animal!

 

She flipped her hair, popped her hips a few times then dropped to the ground and began to crawl.

 

Abaresaseru? Nemurasetoku?

Jibun no naka no kemono!

Kainaraseba atsukai kantan

Tanoshimou yo…To-ri-ko!

 

Yeah~ Come into my territory!

 

She kicked her legs up before returning to standing position. She turned around and sauntered toward him. Granted she was merely performing the choreography with the other girls, but to Kai it was like she really was coming for him. He swallowed hard. They made eye contact for the briefest moment, before a hand on his shoulder shook him back to reality.

“Hey! Hello?!” A tanned skinned girl was staring at him a little confused. She had long black hair with a headband with cat ears on it. “Can I help you?”

“….Huh? Uh yeah, I’m here to sign up for the club!” Kai’s voice cracked a little from being startled.

“Oh ok, well my name is Kwon Yuri.” She shook his hand. “I’m the club president. If you want to be apart of the club you’ll have to audition. We can only accept five people to replace the seniors who left last year. If that’s ok, just sign up on that clipboard over there and we’ll call you. Do you have music and a routine you’ve prepared or do you just want to freestyle?”

“Uh…sure.” He totally wasn’t paying attention. His eyes were still on Hyoyeon.

“Ugh, whatever, just sign up over there.” Yuri rolled her eyes and ushered the five girls over so they could start the auditions.

Hyoyeon grabbed a bottle of water and drank from it. Some of it missed and trickled down her lips and chin.

“You were really good!” Kai blurted out loudly. It made her choke on the water a little. She wiped and looked up at him.

“Oh uh, thanks! You auditioning?” She brushed her hair away from her face with her fingers.

“Yeah.”

“Well good luck!” She started to walk away.

“Kai!” He blurted out once more. He clearly was not doing well at this talking thing. “My name. It’s Kai.”

“Kai…” She said softly to herself before looking back up at him with those bright brown eyes. “Well good luck Kai.” And with that she turned and walked out of the room.

Wow…He thought to himself, cheeks tinged pink, the biggest smile spreading across his face…She said my name…

“YAH!!!” Yuri yelled as she threw a towel at Kai’s head. She had been calling his name for quite some time now and he had completely missed it drifting off into la-la land. “ARE YOU GONNA DANCE OR NOT?!”