III

Blue Post-its

Eunhyuk looks around hurriedly once he's out of the cafeteria and into the hallway. He doesn't see Donghae anywhere near, so he looks around frantically for any sign to where he might have gone.

 

He sees a few people looking curiously towards the nearest boys' bathroom, and runs up to one of the people and asks them, “Did Donghae go in there?!”

 

Uh, I don't know if his name is Donghae, I've never seen him before, but if you're talking about the kid that just ran in there looking like he was about to start crying then yea, he's in there,” the kid answers.

 

Thank you,” Hyukjae mumbles before quietly entering the bathroom. He walks quietly so he won't be heard, and the first sounds that reaches his ears are the sounds of loud sniffles and small sobs.

 

,” he whispers silently, heading further into the bathroom. He discovers that the sounds are coming from the very last stall in the row, the largest, which happens to be the only occupied stall in the room, meaning they are alone.

 

He slowly approaches the door and knocks carefully a couple times, not too loudly. He hears the crying immediately cease and a timid, weak voice asks, “Hello?”

 

Donghae?” Eunhyuk says hopefully. His heart drops when he heard the sobs start again, this time quieter, “Donghae, please open the door.”

 

N-No, I'm fine, I just have a headache, that's all,” Donghae answers softly.

 

Donghae, please don't lie to me,” Hyukjae breathes. “Please just open the door. I want to see you.”

 

No you don't.”

 

Yes, I do. I want to talk to you,” Eunhyuk answers.

 

It's okay, Hyukjae.” Donghae's voice wavers as he tries to keep it steady. “I know what you're talking about. Just ignore what Kyuhyun said, okay?” His voice drops to a pained whisper. “It doesn't mean anything.”

 

Yes it does,” Hyuk says as he tries shaking the door lightly. “It does to me. But you have to open the door and talk to me, Hae.”

 

The sobs stop for a moment again. Eunhyuk knows Donghae loves it when he calls him Hae.

 

The world seems to silence for a moment, as neither of them move or a say a word. But then Eunhyuk's spirit lifts when he hears the wonderful sound of a bathroom stall door being unlocked.

 

Hae?” he asks gently as he pushes the door open. He sees the latter in the corner of the large stall, sitting with his back against a wall and his knees pulled up to his chest.

 

Oh, Donghae,” Hyukjae breathes, immediately running up to him and crouching down in front of the crying boy. Donghae now has his face hidden in his arms so Hyuk can't see him, until he looks up in fear.

 

He's suddenly wrapped in what he thinks is the most safe, loving hugs he's ever experienced in his entire life. He can't help but let out a few more tears as his shaky arms tremble their way to weakly wrap themselves around Eunhyuk the best they can and hold on tight.

 

Hae...” Eunhyuk whispers into Donghae's ear lovingly. “Hae...”

 

Hyukjae...” Donghae sobs brokenly into the older's shoulder as his body continues shaking along with his cries. After a few peaceful moments, Hyuk pulls back only slightly, so he can use his index finger to tilt Donghae's chin up to make him look at him.

 

Kyuhuyn told me,” he whispers with the slightest of smiles on his face.

 

I'm sorry,” Donghae begins to whisper, his face scrunched in pain, before Hyukjae stops him.

 

Donghae, I'm going to tell you a little secret that might make you feel better about this situation,” he whispers playfully. Donghae's scared eyes look up at him expectantly, tears still trailing out. He leans in close and whispers, “I've had the biggest crush on you since freshman year.” He stops for a moment to think. “Actually maybe even before that, who knows.”

 

The shock is evident on Donghae's face. His eyes widen and his jaw drops in surprise, at a complete loss of words. Another tear falls, but Hyukjae hopes it's not for the same reason as before.

 

Really?” the younger whispers hopefully.

 

Really,” Hyuk answers, leaning closer ever so slightly, their noses lightly touching. They're soon wrapped in another tight embrace, their faces buried in each other's necks, savoring the sweet smell and soft feel of one another's skin.

 

Hyukjae pulls back enough to look Donghae in the eyes, and his eyes suddenly travel lower to the younger's inviting lips. He holds his breath at the thought of possibly meeting his lips with the ones he's dreamed of for a long time.

 

Donghae...” he begins questioningly. He brings his eyes back to meet Donghae's before asking, “May I?”

 

Donghae's eyes flash with what appears as excitement as he immediately nods slowly. “Please.”

 

Wanting to treat Donghae as sweet as possible, he tries his best at romantic (as romantic as one can be in a high school bathroom) as he gently brushes Donghae's bangs out of his face and cups both of his hands around the younger's smooth jawline. He can hear his heartbeat in his ears as he slowly inches his face closer to Donghae's, until their lips finally meet in the most beautiful first kiss either of them can ever imagine.

 

Their bathroom surroundings don't affect them at all as they're now in their own little world where the ones who exist are each other. Their lips continue gently gliding against each other, fitting together as if they were made to kiss the other. It's not until they're both equally out of breath that they silently agree to pull back for some probably needed oxygen.

 

Their eyes stay closed as they rest their foreheads against each other, catching their breath. To Hyukjae's surprise and confusion, he hears Donghae's soft giggles reaching his ears and opens his eyes questioningly, hoping he hasn't done anything wrong or embarrassing. He's about to ask the reason before Donghae beats him to it.

 

We're kissing on the bathroom floor,” Donghae states, still giggling.

 

I know,” Eunhyuk replies, chuckling along. “Sorry for the lack of romantic scenery.”

 

Next time I cry I'll cry in a rose garden, alright?” Hae says and pecks Hyuk's lips as they both continue laughing.

 

So, will you be my boyfriend, Lee Donghae?” Hyukjae asks with a broad smile on his face. Donghae's face flushes a new kind of pink as he buries his face in Hyukjae's neck.

 

Of course I will,” he whispers. They sit together like that for a few more seconds before Donghe pulls back, flashing another adorable smile.

 

We should probably go before Sungmin has time to run away,” he says with a smile.

 

What do you mean?” Hyukjae raises his eyebrow in confusion.

 

Donghae nods to the entrance of the bathroom with an amused look on his face. “Sungmin's listening in to what we're saying through the door,” he says with an eyeroll.

 

I am not!” cones a voice muffled from behind the door, making the both of them laugh as they stand and wipe themselves off, their hands finding each other once they're finished. When they finally leave the bathroom, Donghae makes sure to open the door in a way to hit Sungmin right in the face.

 

Ouch!” Sungmin exclaims, rubbing his now sore head with a pout. He sends a glare to Donghae, only making the younger laugh at his pouting.

 

That'll teach you for listening in on our conversations!” Hae says.

 

Well...I wanted to know!” Sungmin explains, still pouting as he tries to defend himself. “I mean you can't tell me that if that was me in there with someone you wouldn't listen in.”

 

He's got a point,” Hyukjae points out, laughing as Donghae hits his arm shouting, “You're supposed to be on my side!”

 

Anyway,” Donghae sighs once they've calmed down. “You should go on a double date with us sometime, so it can be me and my boyfriend and me and my best friend,” Donghae says with a sweet smile.

 

Who would I even go with? I don't like anyone right now, so...” Sungmin explains.

 

Could take Kyuhyun,” Hyuk suggests with a shrug, not entirely being serious.

 

OHMYGOD YOU TWO WOULD BE SO CUTE TOGETHER!!!” Donghae yells, jumping up and down overexcitedly. “How have I never noticed this before?! OMG you two need to date. Like. Right now.”

 

Yea, right. Like that'll ever happen,” Sungmin says, rolling his eyes although the blush is quite evident on his face.

 

I bet you could bring out his gentle side,” Donghae whispers, and Sungmin's face only grows redder as he can't think of anything to respond with.

 

Wait, he actually has one?!” Hyukjae intervenes.

 

I've only seen it on about five different occasions since I've met him,” Sungmin explains. “Mind you I've known him since we were like five.”

 

See, I bet he likes you.”

 

Donghae, how does that prove he likes me?!”

 

I've known him just as long and I haven't seen this so-called soft side once.”

 

Well maybe that's because you're not fabulous enough.”

 

Okay, Kim Heechul.”

 

Are you implying Kim Heechul is more fabulous than me?!”

 

Yes.”

 

Well he isn't.”

 

Say that to his face.”

 

No.”

 

And basically this banter continues not only through the rest of lunch, but through the rest of the school day. Eunhyuk can barely hold back his laughs as he watches HaeMin aggressively sending notes to each other, glaring at each other whenever they got the chance. For once he is content with just looking at Hae and not needing to directly communicate or even ask what is written on the notes.

 

Besides, from his seat next to Hae, he now realizes he can just look over the younger's shoulder and read what they say.