FINAL

Bloomed in Between

TITLE: Something that BLOOMED IN BETWEEN

RATING: PG

WARNING: Boy x Boy relationship, and some cursing.

WORDS: 4123

TYPE: One-shot

A/N: First completed fanfic. haha. please enjoy~ healthy criticism is welcomed~ ^^

 

 

~0~

 

 

"Let's just think of this project as a game Lee Sandeul." He said as he sat on the chair in my front.

 

"A game? Why a game?" I asked dumbfounded.

 

"Because in games, we tend to do our best just to win." He said with a smirk shown on his face.

 

I nodded. That's the only answer I could give. Maybe he wants to top the class? Or there is a waiting prize if his grade is high. I don't know his purpose but I do know that what he said is beneficiary to the both of us.

 

"Also, you get to enjoy while playing games." He smiles playfully and changes his seat to the chair beside me.

 

"Who's sitting here?"

 

"Go---gongchan." I stuttered. Why dear god?!

 

"He's absent today right? Would he mind if I changed seats with him?"

 

"I don'---"

 

"I don't care anymore. I'll sit here and just say that the teacher made me do it." His playful smile grew wider showing his squirrel-like-teeth.

 

"Bu---but I can't---lie..." I said as I looked down to my lap.

 

"Then just ignore his questions and let me do the talking." He said assuring that made me look at him.

 

His face was so near mine that it made me blush.

 

"Oh, you're so cute. Just like ducks." He said then pinched my cheeks and went back to his place to get his things.

 

"Take care of me, hyung!" He said with a big smile forming from his right ear up to the left as he sat down on Gongchan's chair.

 

 

 

Days past by and all we did was to get to know each other. He happily told me that he already heard me sing during one of our gigs and he said that it was beautiful. He asked me if I ever went downtown, and I answered that it was out of my way home, so no. He invited me to come to one of their battles (as they call it) and support him. Being a good guy, I said sure.

 

One day, we decided to meet at his locker for it was nearer to the exit. I saw a guy giving him a cap and I think some accessories and he just smiled and accepted the gifts. The guy who gave the gifts talked to him some more in a flirting way making me jealou---why? I admit that I admire him. But why am I feeling this if it is only an admiration?

 

"Sandeul! Come here my ducky." He screamed from his place with the guy still in front of him.

 

"Please let this slip by. Just help me on this one. Please.” Baro whispered to me as soon as he run to me and hugged me leaving the guy with the gift alone in front of Baro’s locker.

 

“Oh! You want to eat my ducky? Sorry to keep you waiting my Deullie. I just talked with---“ He stopped and looked back to the guy.

 

“No one.” The guy looked down and then walked away.

 

“What was that for?” I squeaked as I turned him back to face me.

 

“What?” He asked innocently.

 

I thought of what to say and ended up with none.

 

“Oh. Are you dating someone?” He asked all of the sudden.

 

“N—no.” I stuttered. Why am I always stuttering in front of this guy?

 

“So no one will get angry if you help me with this one? Just think of it as part of the game. I just need them to leave me alone.”

 

“Bu---“

“Come on, I’ll treat you lunch.”

 

Food? Well it’s a tough thing to do, but food can always make me feel special.

 

“Sweets every day, Got it?” I said with my pointing finger pointed towards his face.

 

“Got it, see you.” He said smiling as he walked towards the door while waving his hand.

 

I just stared at him, can’t it just be real?

 

 

Once this project is done, our relationship would also come to an end. We would come to the way it used to be. Me hanging out with my fellow duck-lover/vocals' friends and him with his fellow rappers. Why do we have so different hobbies? Why is this a game?

 

"A penny for some of your thoughts maybe?"

 

I looked at Baro in disbelief.

 

It’s been three weeks since we started this game. The game I thought that would only improve our project but turned out to also improve my liking to Baro.

 

"Or foods would be more of value to let you spill your thoughts?"

 

I was about to say something but someone shouted.

 

"Sandeul, come on! We have some songs to polish to be ready when we perform."

 

Jinyoung hyung shouted as he lean by the doorframe smiling.

 

"Just a second hyung, I'll just follow you to our practice room!"

 

I shouted smiling to jinyoung hyung.

 

Jinyoung hyung was about to reply but abruptly stopped when someone with long hair and circular glasses on tried to pass by him.

 

"Yah Baro! Let's get it going! We have a match to burn!"

 

One of Baro's friend said as he squeezed himself from the other side of the doorframe and Jinyoung hyung. Jinyoung hyung and the guy looked at each other like sending killer daggers to each never looking away.

 

"Another useless match I see dongwoo-ah."

 

"Useless? Pfft. As if your pathetic gig is any more useful. And it's CNU to you dork!"

 

That guy named dongwoo---I mean CNU pushed Jinyoung hyung by his shoulder and stood just in front of jinyoung hyung not entirely entering our classroom.

 

"Yah CNU hyung! Don't start a fight in our room! Just text me the place then I’ll just follow you!"

 

Baro shouted without even looking to the guy he's talking to.

 

Those two higher-yeared guys stormed out of the room without saying anything and looking anywhere except their own way.

 

Awkward air filled the spaces between us.

 

Baro broke the silence by saying something that I didn't quite catch.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

I asked him. I moved my stare away from our project and looked at a smirking Squirrel in front of me.

 

"Faking on not hearing what I said just to make our conversation longer huh?"

 

That is so not true! I am re-reading our final draft to our project plan!

 

Ghaash! Who am I kidding?

 

"I---uhhmmm.. I was scanning our---project to see if we---uhhhmmm.. Missed some ideas or topics. Yeah."

 

Baro's smirk grew bolder and he leaned nearer to my ear leveling his lips to my ear.

 

"You're starting to fall for me, are you?"

 

With his husky voice, it sent me tingles to my spinal cord making me shiver.

 

"Just admit it Deullie-ducky, you fell for me already eh?"

 

His hot breath reached the shell of my ears. What the is this jerk planning? I know he's popular and all. I know that all the girls swoon over him by his cuteness and he can make those tough guys like him by his awesome rapping skills matched by his husky voice. Nobody can resist his charms. Everyone likes him, maybe not always as a like-like thing. But no one dislikes or even hates him.

 

Unfortunately, those people that likes him, like, like-like. Includes me. I don't know if I fell for his coolness or his cuteness. Or when it even bloomed or started. But all I know, is that this partnering in our project deepened my feelings for him. Also, 'luckily' he asked me to this sort-of-date thingy. Making me think twice.

 

"I'm just kidding Deullie."

 

He smiled and moved his face away from me then pinched the bridge of my nose with one hand while the other playfully rubbed my cheek.

 

"You're so cute when you blush my ducky."

 

I---what?! Now, heat rushed to my face, more?

 

"That's the way I like it Deullie~" he said as he caressed my cheeks now with both of his hands.

 

"But you can only blush for me."

 

He paused on what he was doing and looked straight in my eyes.

 

"Got it my ducky?"

 

That smile. Why did it make me nod? That smile plastered on his hypnotized me! Or so I think.

 

"Good ducky, now just text me when you get home. Ok?"

 

Why should I text him, our project is already done and everything so there’s no need. Right? Not waiting for my answer, he slowly neared his face to mine.

 

Is he going to kiss me? Kyaaah! What should I do? Aigoo. I promised to myself that the one who kisses me first will be first and last boyfriend, but if you're in my situation, would you let this opportunity pass by?

 

I closed my eyes, waiting for that soft feeling to touch my lips. I want to know if it really does feel like how it is described in most novels. Soft lips also touch yours and you'll get your legs all jelly then you'll see fireworks through close eyes. Ahhhh… What a good feeling must that be.

 

I slowly neared my face to meet his own lips, but something soft pressed against my forehead.

 

I can feel his smile through the kiss he just made, the kind of smile that teases.

 

Omoooo. Did I just assumed that he was about to kiss me on the lips?! Fool me.

 

"You're too cute for your own sake deullie."

 

He said as he fixed his things and left me in our room. Alone.

 

 

(At Sandeul friends’ practice room)

 

"Sandeul, come here. You have to practice this alone."

 

Jinyoung hyung quickly said as he shakes a paper in front of my face. I took the paper and read the title of the song.

 

'Why Goodbye by Peabo Bryson’

 

Is this an English song?!

 

"Eh? Why is it in English hyung!!"

 

"I really don't know Sandeul, but please don't puff your cheeks like that."

 

Jinyoung hyung said as he pinched my cheeks, like always.

 

"But what if I ruin the song because---"

 

"Kyah! Sandeul hyung! You can do that. OK. Fighting!"

 

Gongchan said just as he entered our practice room. Does he even know what Jinyoung hyung is making me do?

 

"Now practice."

 

OK. So the practice went by me singing why goodbye like I'm reading out a poem with Jinyoung hyung and Gongchan laughing their asses out. So much for friendship and helping out together. Pfft.

 

"I'm going home hyung, Gongchan! Take care on your way home you two!"

 

"Ok hyung! Take care too!"

 

'Why is it so cold today?' I said to myself as I stand by the doorway of our practice room.

 

I thought a thin coat and a scarf would be enough today. Why is it this cold?! Aish! Now I'll have a freezing hands and a cold head and ears when I reach our house. Eomma would be devastated. I think she told me to bring my things for a cold weather but I insisted that it won't be this cold. Heol. Mothers really know best. Sorry eomma!

 

"You should always bring this kind of things Deullie, you should know that temperatures here are unpredictable."

 

I almost jumped back to the practice room when suddenly a pair of hands with gloves held my face in between.

 

"Here, take my bonnet."

 

Cold air brushed through the place where his hands were placed a while ago. I searched for that warm hands and saw that it was getting the bonnet from his head.

 

"A---aniyo. It's ok." I said as I shook my head from left to right. "I can manage. You'll catch a cold if you lend me that Baro-ah"

 

"Aish. Just wear it." He said then quickly wore the bonnet to my head.

 

Hi---his face is too close. God it's too close. God help me breathe. I can't breathe.

 

"See, it looks cute on you." He said as he scanned me. "Look at the color, its yellow Deullie. Just like a duck." His smile was so wide as he held my face again.

 

There was a moment of silence but his stare was still fixed to mine making my face burn.

 

"See, this..." He said as he caressed my cheeks. "This is for my eyes only. Ok?"

 

He then removed his hands from my face and removed one gloves from his hand. I watched like a statue, waiting for his next move at the doorway.

 

"This would keep your other hand warm." He said as he slipped the glove he removed from his own to my left hand. "Now for the other."

 

He looked at me straight in the eyes with his bare hand in front in the air waiting to be held.

 

If you were a passerby, you would think of this situation is like the day of a promenade where the guys asks or waits for the hand of the girl.

 

"What are you waiting for Baro-ah? Let's go." I said as I slapped the waiting hand to the side.

 

"Aigoo. Does this need to be said to be understand my Deullie?" He said scratching his head lightly then reached for my right hand.

 

I quickly hid my hand and that made him run closer to me. That's the start of another game in our game.

 

“JUST HOLD MY OTHER HAND DEUL! IT’S FREEZING! I NEED THE WARMTH OF YOUR OTHER HAND!” He shouted as he ran after me.

 

“Eh. Why should I. Are we even dating?” I said as I stuck my tongue out and continued walking/running making me turn my back from him.

 

Warm hands suddenly captured me by my waist and rested a head on the crook of my shoulder and neck.

 

“Can I formally date you and end this stupid game Lee Sandeul?”

 

“No.”

 

I said and ran away from him.

 

I ran as fast as I can to our house. When I opened our house it was empty. I found a note on the table where it stated that they were going to meet Kyuhyun-hyung’s parents and if I wanted to join I should just go to this certain restaurant. I ignored it, not wanting to meet Kyuhyun-hyung’s parents now that I am in a state of shock like this. Maybe some other time. I locked the front door and went to my room to change.

 

I collapsed to my bed as soon as I finished putting on decent home clothes. I stared at the ceiling and contemplated on what just happened.

.

.

.

.

“AISH! This is making me hungry!” I shouted and got up from my bed.

 

“I hope there is something to eat at the fridge.” I said and hopped my way towards the kitchen.

 

“Mom’s busy Deullie baby. Just buy your own food first if you chose not to follow. Here’s some money baby.”

 

A note was posted at the door of our fridge with some money clipped on it.

 

I puffed my cheeks and got the money then hid it to my pocket. I put a thicker jacket on than the one I was wearing a while ago and got my ear puffs to cover my ears.

 

I was about to run towards our door but I remembered something important.

 

“MY BONNET AND GLOVES!” I shouted in my mind and headed back to my room.

 

When I opened my room the clothes I was wearing a while ago was scattered on the floor. I saw the thin jacket, the thin shirt, the thin pants… but where is Baro’s bonnet and gloves?

 

AISH! Why am I looking for it? He made my mind go crazy like this. I shouldn’t be thinking of him.

 

I quickly went to my drawer and looked for my favorite ducky bonnet and also ducky gloves. Before putting it on, I went in front of my full-mirror to look if what I am wearing is decent enough to be shown to the whole neighborhood.

 

I am still wearing it?

 

I put back the things I got from my drawer and just stared at my reflection. What did he do to me? Last time I checked it was only an infatuation I felt for him. Yes, I saw perfection in him. But as time passed by, I saw his flaws. That should’ve lessen the feeling I had for him right? But why didn’t it?

 

Maybe a walk would clear up my mind.

 

I walked out of my room, still wearing Baro’s stuff making my other hand bare so I hid it inside my jackets pocket and went to our living room. I was already wearing my shoe when I heard some sniffs and coughs outside our door. I quickly looked through our door hole (or whatever it is called. Sorry.) To know if it’s a murderer or a thief.

 

“BARAMJWI?!” [Baro + Daramjwi(squirrel)]

 

“Ducky---I mean Sandeul. About what I said earlier…”

 

“It’s ok. Just forget it.” I didn’t let him finish for my mind is not clear yet.

 

“Is true Sandeul, please give me a chance Sandeul.”

 

He sounded… sincere? I moved my body that was facing the door and made my back face it.

 

“One chance Sandeul. Let’s just end this so called game we started and start a new one.”

 

“Another game?” I asked in a low tone that he can’t possibly hear.

 

“Was it all games to you?” he asked with his lonely voice. I looked at the door hole again and looked at his face. He was also looking straight to the hole from the other side. His nose was getting really red now and his eyes are also teary. “Did you think of the time we spend just for the game?”

 

“No, Project also.” I said in a straight tone.

 

“We already finished that Deul.” He coughs on the other side of the door. “Can’t we just start a new one?” He asked as he neared our door.

 

“What are we going to play this time? I don’t want to play as your fake boyfriend Baro.” I said as I opened the door for my conscience couldn’t stand the state of a freezing squirrel on my front door.

 

Instead of answering me, he quickly wrapped his arms around me and rested his head on my shoulder.

 

“Be my REAL boyfriend Sandeul.” He said while snuggling his clod face towards neck.

 

“Yah! It’s cold Baro!” I shouted and pushed his face away from me.

 

“Don’t change the subject Deul. Be my one and only duck. Please?” He said as he pouted in front of me.

 

He was still hugging me from my waist as he leaned backwards to avoid making his cold skin touch mine making his pout look more cute.

 

Should I just say yes? He is my crush. But what if he is just playing with me? He likes to play right? That’s why he started our game/project. I’m scared of the consequences this might bring.

 

“I won’t promise not to hurt you, for I am not a perfect person. But I will try my best to always make you happy Deul.”

 

“Bargain my yes.”

 

I answered even if I already know what my answer is.

 

He took some moment to answer making his eyebrows meet and one of his hands on his chin making his grip tighten for he was now embracing me with just one hand. He smirked first before answering me.

 

“I don’t have a lot my duck. But I can give my heart and soul to you.”

 

I laughed so hard on his face from his cheesiness.

 

“Seriously Baro?” I asked as I laughed my vocal chords out.

 

“What do you want then? I’ll give you anything My Deullie~” He said making his pout even more evident.

 

I looked up and faked a thinking pose, a bit similar to what he did a while ago. Hand on my chin, massaging it and a raised eyebrow to nail it.

 

“A kiss maybe”

 

“A---ki-kiss?” HE STUTTERED! CHA BARO STUTTERED! THIS IS LIKE THE FIRST TIME HE STUTTERED! HIS FACE WAS ALSO RED-BEET! THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!

 

“You’re stuttering and blushing Baro!” I laughed so hard. Harder than a while ago, in the past month, I was the one who always blush and stutter. Yet here he is, blushing and stuttering.

 

“Yah! Don’t tease me.” He said lowering his face and now looking at the floor like a bullied kid with both of his hand together in front of him.

 

“You look like a bullied squirrel, you know?”

 

I asked, sort of more.

 

He didn’t answer and just stood there like a statue. It was like a complete turn from our situation a while ago.

 

“Baro-ah, I thought you’re courting me?” I asked as I neared him.

 

“I am.” He answered not moving an inch.

 

“Then why are you so far away?” He moved closer to me.

 

“And I thought you’ll give me anything I want?” I said as I held his face in between my hands and made him look at me in the eyes.

 

I looked at him and he was avoiding my stare.

 

“Oh, I get it. Sorry Baro. You can go now. I’ll just pretend to be your “real” boyfriend at school and I promise not to tell to anyone about our agreement. So sweets everyday again eh? Oh! Add some snacks huh.” I said in a low tone. Fighting the tear that wants to flow out of my eyes.

 

I knew it. This is just part of that game. He can’t kiss me because it was just a game, or worst a bet. Pfft. Pathetic me.

 

I let go of him and was about to turn around but Baro wrapped his arms to me making me stop from turning and making our bodies meet.

 

“Sandeul, please listen to me first before concluding things.” He said in a soft voice.

 

“I want to save our first kiss Deul. I don’t want our first kiss to be out of impulse. Also, I already told you that this is not a game anymore Deul. Please believe me. I really want to kiss you badly. Don’t you know that you’re lips are so y?” He said with a low chuckle.

 

I hugged him back and move my head back so I can see him. He smiled at me and I returned it.

 

“Thanks for saying that my lips are y.” I said as I blushed.

 

“It’s not just your lips that is y.” He said in a husky voice. I felt his arm to let go of me.

 

“Your eyes” He said as he trailed my eyes with the hand that let me go.

 

“Your pointy nose.” He said as his forefinger trailed down my nose.

 

“Your fluffy cheeks.” He said as he lightly pinched my cheeks.

 

“How can a fluffy thing be y---“ He stopped me from speaking as his forefinger close my mouth.

 

“And this never-closing lips.” He was about to near his face towards mine when suddenly…

Suddenly it’s magic~

 

A song suddenly played from the hallway making us move away from each other.

 

“Hey little brother! You’re home. I thought you’re going to follow us?” My older brother suddenly came into our doorway.

 

“Ah—hyung, I had a headache so I decided to just stay home and eat some food here.” I said as I looked at him.

 

“And who do we have here? EOMMA! APPA! Sandeul brought a guy home!” he shouted as he fetched my mom and dad from the hallway.

 

“Are you sure your brothers not twins?” Baro said as he moved closer to me.

 

Ignoring his question, I looked at him. “What happened to no kissing?” I asked him with my eyebrows raised.

 

“I said no kissing from impulse.” He defended himself and lowered his face towards mine.

 

“COME ON EOMMA! SEE THEY’RE ABOUT TO KISS!”

 

I almost had a heart attack from what my older brother shouted and quickly looked at the doorway to see if they really saw what ‘almost’ happened.

 

Fortunately, they were woo slow to see it. Hyung was also just made that up.

 

“HYUNG I AM NOT KISSING SOMEONE!” I shouted.

 

“Later.” Baro ily whispered to my ears as held me with one arm by my waist.

 

I was about to say no, but my parents suddenly popped out with Sungmin-hyung and Kyuhhyun-hyung on their back.

 

Not wanting to hide things from my family, “Appa, Eomma, hyungs…” I said to them then wrapped my hand to his waist copying what he did to me a while ago, making us hold each other by the waist and looked at Baro in the eyes. I smiled at him and he smiled warmly back to me.

 

“This is Baro, my boyfriend.”

 

 

 

 

-END-