chapter twenty nine

Why, Life?

Amber Liu

The week of rest had begun and Amber felt so relieved. A lot of pressure was put on the girls; they were trained like guys, having to have the same amount of strength as them. For Amber, it was a fast but tedious task, but for Sulli, it was harder. Of course, it was no easy feat; the last six months had been exhausting, trainings ending later and later as the months flew by.

Yet, here she was after all the hard work. Her body was toned, more tanned and much more stronger.

She was a force to be reckoned with and the others Houses knew that.

She had grown strong and confident and Chansung would ‘show-her-off’ to the other tribes, showcasing her tough fighting skills as a rookie. She was even better than some of her own tribe mates that were men.

Sulli would always boast of her unnie, how great and strong she was, and how she still remained humble even when she was well-known.

This was all really good for her, but there were cons posed in as well. She was looked upon as an example by most instructors, and if she failed to achieve what they expected, she would be ridiculed, regardless of her gender. Even the guys in the House of Pirates were suppose to meet her skills, if they couldn’t, or exceed her power, and they were chided and humiliated if they couldn’t. Amber would always apologize after but the members would always console her; it wasn’t her fault. She was talented, and she ought not to be sorry for it.

Amber sighed as she sat on the round swing out in the front yard, staring at the other dorms, with a cup of orange juice in her hand. The rest had been sleeping in, but her body clock wouldn’t allow that, so she was up at six even though they had nothing on.

The cold damp morning air was fresh with the scent of spring; flowers blooming everywhere, the green grass recently cut. It was refreshing, to say the least. Amber took in a deep breath and exhaled contented. This was a good rest. A well-deserved one.

She laid back as her round swing slowly turned in circles, and she closed her eyes. Just listening to the birds chirping, the insects calling out, relaxed her immensely.

A soft melody began to play and Amber opened her eyes slowly. Her swing was facing away from the source of the sound, so she moved slightly to get the momentum for it to swing back around.

The chair slowly turned to reveal a dark haired lad, plucking at his guitar strings.

Donghae.

Amber’s eyes widened as she looked at her former admirer whom she had forgotten about in the past six months. She had been focusing on all the trainings and all the workout regimes that she neglected to find out why Donghae had changed.

They hadn’t come into contact ever since that night of the stupid routine acceptance thing, and Amber hadn’t found the time to snoop around for reasons why he was acting like some jerk.

Now she had a chance.

He was playing a soft tune. Some song she hadn’t heard of before. It was soft. Alluring. Simply, seductive.

Wait, what? Seductive? Amber startled at the kind of tune he was playing, jumped of her chair quickly, causing her to stumble forward slightly. Amber adjusted herself and cleared as if nothing had happened.

A small chuckle ensued from the bent over boy.

“You’re still the same ol’ clumsy Amber aren’t you? My alpaca.”

That sentence struck her like a bolt of lighting, leaving her with thousands of questions, running through her mind.

He knows? Does he remember? What the hell? Alpaca? Is he still the Donghae I know? What’s going on? What happened? Why is he here?

As if he could read her mind, he chuckled and said, “I still remember you Amber. Of course I do. How can I ever forget you? My first love. I know, I seem different right? Haha, welcome to the changed me. Coming to The Academy changed everything. My character, the world itself; everything. I hope you’ll learn to embrace this new Donghae as you embraced the old one.”

“But- But- How? What happened? Why?” Amber stuttered, her face heating up as she spoke. She was his first love. His first love!

Looking up from his guitar, he smiled at her, the old Donghae smile. “I’ll explain everything. Come with me?” He held out his hand, looking at her expectantly. Amber looked down at him. It was as if they were back on the roof again, when he asked her to be his girlfriend. When he confessed that he like her. He held out his hand like that.

Just like that.

She had rejected him, saying she needed time to think. She was glad, but she wanted some time to think.

But when she had thought it all through, he was gone.

Amber stared at the outstretched hand as she was led back to think of that fateful day of her first confession. He had that same smile, the very same kind look, begging her please.

She sighed and gently placed her hand on his and he closed his on hers firmly, as if he was afraid she would let go.

“Come. Let’s get out of here.”

 

Jung Yong Hwa

Yong Hwa groaned as he stretched his arms out. It was the start of smester break, which was only a week long. He had slept in rather comfortably, but now that the sun was shining throught the window far too brightly, it was high time he ought to get up.

He shuffled over to the toilet the level three guys shared, only to find it in use. Sighing, he shuffled back to his bed and flopped back down.

The noise woke Chen up beside him, and the lad tackled Yong Hwa on his bed as a form of revenge for waking him up. The two laughed loudly waking up the whole dorm, and shouts of “I want to sleep!”, “Hyung please shut up!” and “UGH WHY SO NOISY!” rang through the dorm.

Suddenly, a thought struck Yong Hwa and he whispered his devious plan to Chen. “Let’s go and wake each and every single one of them up! But we can’t make any noise, we can’t say anything or laugh in their face, just wake them up by tickling them or something!”

Chen smirked, as he felt his inner troll taking over and the duo sneaked into the various rooms, waking each of the lads up one by one.

They poked the guys, used their bolsters to whack them, their pillows to bash them, jumped on their beds, but all without giggling. Each guy that woke up would follow them into the other rooms and the number grew bigger and bigger until the last room they all headed to included all the guy members.

“Now, we wake the girls up.” Yong Hwa whispered to the guys and they all lined up quietly behind him. The guys and the two girls had become really close to the point where they didn’t mind invading their room.

Yong Hwa slowly opened the door, and peeked in.

Sulli was sleeping near the door, still tightly snuggled up, but Amber’s bed was empty.

Yong Hwa frowned. Amber wasn’t there? Where was she?

He didn’t have time to think though. The rest of the guys pushed him and they all piled in, one after another, signaling to circle Sulli’s bed and just stare at her until she wakes up.

“She will scream!” Kai whispered and told them not to, but the older hyungs were insistent on it. Kai sighed and gave in, joining them in doing so. They all positioned themselves nicely around her and waited.

Lucky she wasn’t a heavy sleeper.

A little over a minute, she blinked, and her eyes slowly opened to find the guys all surrounding her. And true enough to Kai’s word, she screamed. Not out of fearm but of shock and surprise. Still it was high pitch and deafening, and Yong Hwa had to cover before she woke up all the other dorms.

“Ya! Relax! It’s just us!” He mock whispered and she calmed down immediately. The rest just burst out into laughter, she looked like she was about to cry. Yong Hwa smiled at her gently, and reassuringly patted her on the back. “Sulli ah, you’re gonna see scarier things than this.”

She looked at him pensively and he laughed at her expression.

The morning turned out just fine.

As they all went to wash up, Yong Hwa couldn’t get Amber’s empty bed out of his mind. Where did she go on a break like this?

He dressed up and went to the one place he mostly found her at; the gym.

She was unlike most girls at The Academy. They were all tough, but not as tough as her. She stuck to her workout regimes, and her diet meals, just to get the strong, well built body she had. And hawt dayum, she looked really good. Whenever she was supposedly missing, she was at the gym working out.

Perhaps she was there this time too.

Yong Hwa needed to maintain his body too, like what Mr Kim had tasked them too, so going to the gym to work out was quite a legit excuse.

As he stepped into the well-equipped gym, he found it quiet and empty. No one seemed to be around. Only the whirring of the air-conditioner could be heard. She would usually be at the treadmills. He thought, and headed to the second floor, where the treadmills were held.

As he climbed the stairs, he heard running footsteps. His heart quickened. She was here!

But disappointment met him as he reached the top. It wasn’t her. It was a shoulder-length haired girl. Amber always kept her boy cut so at one glance, Yong Hwa knew it wasn’t her. Yet, this particular figure looked familiar.

Yong Hwa stepped closer to her and caught the face of the girl working out.

It was Jia.

From the House of Kraken.

He turned away, not wanting to disturb her, but she spoke up, with a chilling tone that freezed him to the bone.

“Hello Yong Hwa. Looking for Amber?”

 

 

 

NOTE:

HEY GUYSSSSSSS! Hope you guys like this chapter and the previous one. (;

Been really really busy with assignments and all, so this one's slightly shorter! Sorry! ><

Still, hope you guys like it!