The Perfect Pair

Perfect Pair

A weak jab to the shoulder.

A slight slap on the back.

Boisterous laughter and loud snickering.. That's how they everyone in their common circle knew them. They were known to be notorious. They always talked loudly and laughed as if no other people are in the room. They loved to annoy other people but they loved to annoy each other the most. It was a known fact to everyone that no matter how much people teased them. They always said that they are just friends and everything is purely platonic..

 


 

Amber was being her typical self. It was a warm 13 degree morning in the winter struck city of Seoul. It is no news that she is hanging out at Coreanos the past weeks to help a friend work the restaurant around. People and most of the fans are worried and say that SM is not taking care of her but she is used to brushing it off. She was enjoying herself. She was feeling relaxed. Amber always believed that a relaxed mind is a creative mind. Being tired doesn't really help since it drains her out. As weird as it may sound and illogical that she is able to be creative after working for an entire day, it's different when you just attend to tables and giving out orders.

Dancing for 8 to 12 hours a day was definitely a lot more tiring. But she loves both of them. Each one just has a different effect on her.

Fans come around the restaurant to eat and ask for autographs while others take the chance to ask some questions. A lot are wondering what is up next for f(x) but Amber always says it's a surprise.
Timely that Min and Jia came to visit that day..

"Ayo, Min! Jia! What's up?"

Min's bleached blonde hair and Jia's funky look were more than enough to pique the other customers' attention. Some asked for autographs, others continued to mind their business.

"Burritos, I assume?"

"The usual, llama." Min remarked. Amber smiled and forwarded two orders of Maxi sized burritos to the kitchen. As the meal brewed in the kitchen, Amber took the time for a break and share some chit-chat to Min and Jia. The latter two were out of the country for a month or so performing overseas.

"How have you been, Am? Care to share why you decided to work at Coreanos?"

"It's nothing special, Jia. I had some free time. I wasn't really in the mood to do anything other than help in the kitchen. Let alone, I get free Mexican food. You know how much I love Mexican food?"

"Touche."

"How was performing overseas?"

"It's fun, as always. The fans are always fun and it always feels good to hear people especially foreigners sing along to your songs even if they don't speak Korean."
"What Min said is true. It gives you such a rush whenever people start the fanchants and sing along to the songs."

"Ugh! I'm so jealous. Vic eonni and Ssul are busy filming. Luna is practicing for musical while Soojung is on photoshoots left and right. Here I am working at Coreanos. I miss hosting Show Cham but I guess other people deserve a chance."

"Well, you write.."

"That's true." The bell rang and several of the pending orders came out; including Min and Jia's. Amber left her seat to serve it to the famished customers. And in order to let her two friends enjoy their meals without any disturbance, Amber went inside the Employees Area. After 20 minutes or so, Amber was called upon to clean some tables. As she cleaned, other people expressed their concern as to why she was doing such a thing.. She mentioned and questioned as to what was wrong with what she was doing. The people remained mum as she retorted the question. When she reached the table just near Min and Jia, the two girls tapped her back.

"Hmm?"

"You heard?"

"Heard what?"

"Namu and Kibum.. They're making a sub-unit."

"They are?"

"You didn't know?" Jia questioned. Amber shook her head slowly, pondering whether Key actually mentioned something about the subunit. But as far as she remembers, there was nothing. But instead, she chose to commit a white lie. She said she knew about and was just joking about having no idea about it whatsoever.

 


 

People that lurked around the building have been hearing music inside the building and they were certain it was a new song. Theories circulate around twitter and stories come out since Woohyun and Key tend to be regulars within the premises of the agency. Amber, Jonghyun and other members tend to lurk around as well. That's when Amber finally got the confirmation that indeed Key and Woohyun will be having a sub-unit.

"Jonghyun oppa.. How long has it been since Key and Woohyun have started practicing?"

"Both SHINee and Infinite were busy last year so they just started to practice last January. But as far as I know,ever since the merger, talks about a sub-unit of the two were already in the making. It's the two of them who suggested it actually. They saw it as the perfect opportunity to do music together. Kibum didn't tell you?"

"Well, we rarely get the chance to talk lately especially since SHINee oppa has been busy.."

After messing with Amber's hair, Jonghyun smiled and went back to writing. They were part of the writing camp SM organized. Three more days followed. Key and Woohyun kept on practicing and Amber kept on hearing the carrier single. Subconsciously, she has already started tapping her feet to the song by the second day. She had no idea about the choreography since she never dared to look at the practice room.

She can't.

"Amber!" someone called. Amber almost dropped the juice carton she had in her hand.
"Woohyun oppa? Hh--hey.."

"You don't look too happy to see me?"

"No! I mean.. yes.. No! Of course I am happy to see you. It's nice seeing you around.." Amber stuttered. Woohyun snickered and dragged the girl to the cafeteria. He obtained two glasses of water, one for him and Amber.

"Have you been hearing the song? Hope it's not too loud.."

"It's okay. It's not that loud, actually. It's really catchy."

"It is, isn't it? That's good to hear."

As the two talked, a faint shouting was heard from not so far away. Amber froze when she finally realized who it was.

"Namu! Namu!! Na..mu.." It was Key.

"Kibum! Come over here.. I was just talking to Amber here.. Water?"

Key looked over at Amber. The girl waved hello and quickly looked away. He was so focused at her that he failed to realize that Woohyun has been blabbering things to him about the song and the feedback he has realized from people.

"Namu, let's go. The choreographer wants us to finish earlier tonight so he asked me to call on for you."

"Ohh.. All right, then. Jah, I'll be going ahead, Amber! Pass by the practice room if you have time. We'll teach you a move or two.." Woohyun said as his voice faded away as he and Kibum walked back to the practice room. Amber appreciate the invitation and she would love to see the dance. But she can't.. She just can't.

 


 

Another week passed.. March has arrived and in ten days time, they will be making their official debut. The two of them were nervous but Key believed his nervousness was on a different level. Their subunit felt like it was his baby. He was the one that persuaded Woohyun to bring up the idea about the sub-unit. He was involved in the rap lyrics of some of the songs and he contributed to the concept of the music video. It was already established that Woohyun is a capable vocalist while he was someone that can do all three but not a master of none. He wants to show everyone that he can be as involved as s when it came to production.

In the entire month of February that passed by, Amber never came to visit. Not once did Key even see a glimpse of her shadow near the practice room door. Since the date of the debut is coming near, preparations and practices are getting more hectic. Let alone, SHINee was preparing for a concert.

It was nearing midnight that day and the two of them weren't halfway done. The choreographer gave them a 20-minute break to rest and they were to resume immediately after.

"Kibum!"

"What?!"

"Watch the tone. We're both tired but you're the one who's been messing up parts lately. Anything bothering you?" Woohyun asked. Kibum sighed. Being as close as they are, Woohyun already knew.

"It's Amber, isn't it? It's because she never came to visit our practice once, even if I offered her to visit."

"It's not.." upon his response, Woohyun quickly flicked Kibum's forehead which made the latter shout it pain.  "What was that about?!"

"We're close friends, Kibum. I know you too well.. Add to that the fact that you're not a very good liar."

"Am I that obvious?"

"Well, maybe a little.."

"It's been going on for so long now. I never realized it until now but I am extremely bothered by our situation."

"Talk to her."

"Talk to her?! I can barely approach her.."

" up your pride.. You're the guy.. Look, I'll get in trouble for this but I heard she is hanging out with Min and Jia and some of their other friends at a place not far from here. You can get there in 5 to 10 minutes. I'll distract the choreographer so that you can run out and drive to where she is."

Thankful to his friend, Kibum gave Woohyun a tight hug and ran out of the practice room like any rebel would do. He headed straight to the parking lot and drove over to the place Woohyun mentioned. After a six minute drive, he was delighted to see that Min and Jia's car was still there. He ran over to the window of the pub and tapped on it to catch the group's attention. Amber was the first one that caught sight of him. She turned away but once  the others realized what was going on, they pushed her outside much to her effort to refuse them. Next thing she knows, she was locked out of the pub.

"Hey.." Kibum said.

"Hey.." Amber replied. The two started to walk along and they stumbled upon a small, empty waiting shed found in a closed street not far from the pub. The two of them sat and it was more than obvious that things are awkward.

"Amber.."

"What is it that you want?"

"I did not come here for a fight or what but I just want answers.. Ever since that night, you started avoiding me. I hate not knowing what's going on Amber! I hate it that you wouldn't even talk to me. Do you know how bothered I am? You stopped talking to me.. We were going great and..."

"And then you kissed me! We were hanging out an overlooking spot out of Seoul.. We were having the time of our lives and you kissed me. Do you know how taken aback I was? How did you want me to react? One moment we were laughing our asses off and next thing I knew your.. your lips were on mine."

"So expressing my feelings is wrong?!"

"I never said that!"

"Well you surely make it sound like that.. You make it sound as if I am in the wrong here. Don't turn the tables, Amber.. You're the one that stared to stop talking to me right after. I tried reaching you continuously for over a month.. And what did I get? Nothing.. I didn't get anything. All I wanted was for you to talk to me, Am. I just wanted to know what you felt.. That's all I wanted. " Key fell in tears.. The kept emotions he wasn't able to deal with rushed out. Amber as well. She wiped her tears and faced Key.

"Did you hate it? Do you hate me so much?"

"It was all better when we were just friends.. Things were a lot easier.." Amber replied and as soon as she did. She ran to the nearest street and called on a cab to go home. The entire ride home Amber was just sobbing. The taxi driver was gracious enough to not ask anything. He clearly thought that Amber was a drunk, heart-broken girl. He dropped her off at f(x)'s dorm. She hasn't lived with her members for so long and she needs them now more than ever.

She raced to the door and Luna welcomed her. Surprised by Amber's crying, Luna didn't know what to do for about a minute or two. She just sat beside Amber before she reached for a glass of water.

"Eonni.." as she offered a hug.

"I am such an evil person, Luna. I was the one at fault but yet I was the one that ran away, again! But I am confused.. I don't know what to do. I don't know whether or not that what I am feeling is right."

"Eonni.."

"Hmm?"

"Remember when you told me that I should never pass up the opportunity when it persists?"

"Yes... It was for your musical. We were busy but you really wanted to take on the project. You were scared that some might criticize you for doing so but you still pursued it."

"This is somehow similar to that. To be honest, ever since you told me that, I never regretted personal decisions. Whenever the opportunity persists, grasp it."

"Before it slips away.." Both of them uttered. Luna's short but inspiring words were more than enough to make her stop crying. With heavy eyes, Amber fell asleep.

 


 

It felt like it would a forbidden word. It felt like a mention of her name would be punishable by death. It was already the day of the debut and it was just four hours away. Woohyun and Key were preparing. Everything was going just fine but Woohyun can notice the heavy air surrounding Key. As they ran through another round together in the practice room.

"Screw this! What is going on with you, Kibum?"

"Let go, Woohyun.." he replied stoically.

"Will you let this defeat you? Get a grip.."

Annoyed, Key pushed Woohyun away. Irritated, Woohyun pushed back. The energy between the two was already escalating until someone coughed and knocked on the door. The two diverted their attention toward the door, away from each other's faces. It was Amber.

"Can I talk to Key?" she requested. Woohyun brushed his suit and left in a rush.

"Before running out, I know this is too much for me to ask but please, listen to what I have to say."

"I am listening."

"I was scared. I didn't know what to do.. We were great as friends. We had a knack from making fun of other people. We were able to talk about the most random of things. We can make fun of each other without getting hurt. You're one of the few closest idol friends I have. In fact, you're one of the first ones. I didn't want to lose that. The night you kissed me.. I was shocked. I didn't know what to say nor do. I like you Kibum. I like you a lot. But I am scared to lose you. I am scared that if things go wrong, I'll be losing two people; a friend and a special someone. The mere thought of it scares me. I didn't want to destroy anything we had and shared." Amber started to cry.. Overwhelmed by the emotion of her sudden confession.

"Why didn't you say that sooner?"

"I didn't know how to deal with it. You know how I am with sorting feelings and all that."

"That's true.."

"Hey!"

"Go on. Continue."

"What I am saying is.. I love you.. I've always loved you.. And not just a brother or friend type of love..I love, love you. You might hate me for this but I love you. So please, love me back. Love me still. Kibum.."

Key just looked at Amber with tears in his eyes as well. Scared due to the lack of response, Amber started to panic.. "Kibum.. Please, say something. Please!"

Slowly, Key started walking towards her. And slowly, he started to take her in his arms. She was still sobbing. Begging Kibum to say something.. "I love you, too. You're an idiot but you're my idiot. We can figure other things out along the way but I love you. I want you to know that I love you."

Amber gave in even further and almost broke down as she cried into Kibum's suit. He didn't really care that she was messing up his suit. In order to muffle her cries, Kibum thought of the brilliant idea to kiss her.. And he did. She kissed back this time around and it was definitely sweet. As they parted, they looked into each other's eyes and smiled.

"Get a room!" Woohyun shouted from the other side of the room, near the door. Embarrassed as she is, Amber lowered her head. Kibum mocked punching Woohyun who already ran away for refuge.

"Guess, I'll see you in the audience tonight?"

"Of course.. Even backstage as well.."

==================================

A short one shot for my ultimate OTP.. How I missed writing under keyber as the main tag. LOLOL