Where I Dried Your Eyes

Where the Sky Met the Sea

            Something about this particular day had Luhan biting his fingernails, clinging to his sanity like it was about to slip right through his fingers. He was as anxious as a mother on her child’s first school day, as an ant right before the rainy season. His mind was in a fog and the voices in his head wouldn’t stop talking, not even for a second, and he swore he was walking the road to crazy town.

            “Hyung, there you are!” Sehun said, slinging his arm over Luhan’s shoulder.

            Luhan wondered when Sehun started getting so tall. Last he checked, he was taller than the rambunctious narcissist.

            “Hey, Sehun,” Luhan greeted back, pulling his fingers out of his mouth. His nails were staring up at him, pleading him to stop his assault. He conceded.

            “You’re heading to the game now?” Sehun asked, looking at jersey-clad Luhan.

            “Yeah, I am,” Luhan confirmed, putting a lopsided smile on his face.

            “I’m sure you’re going to kick their little asses into space, hyung,” Sehun said, patting Luhan on the back. He chuckled a little bit before resting his arm on Luhan’s shoulders again.

            “Yeah, I hope.” Luhan smiled and looked straight in front of him where the gymnasium doors were quickly approaching.

            Sehun peered into Luhan’s face, examining the bushy brows atop his honey brown orbs. He could always tell by the pair of eyebrows on Luhan’s face if something was wrong.

            “Anything wrong? You don’t seem too talkative,” Sehun asked, genuine concern dripping off his voice. Luhan shook his head no and opened the gymnasium doors, listening to the noise of the crowd as he stepped on the grass. Sehun’s arm retreated from his shoulders and beamed at him.

            “Good luck, hyung. I’ll be over here cheering you on,” Sehun said. Luhan smiled at him, the biggest smile he could manage, which in this case was a relatively small one if you knew how many tennis balls you could fit in his mouth when he laughed.

            He stepped onto the field and made his way to his teammates, joined the warm up and was tempted to bite his nails again. Instead, he settled on ruffling his hair. His hair looked better messy anyway, according to Sehun, that is.

                        He looked for Sehun in the crowd, a mop of silky black hair atop a fair face, with small eyes and the jaw that looked so exquisite it could kill a man. He spotted him in the 3rd row, smiling down at him and waving his free hand, the other one equipped with a hot dog and a cup of soda. He smiled and waved back, buzzing when the voice of the announcer rang through the speakers.

            “Hello, Bobcats and guests!!! Are you all ready for the game of the season?”

            Applause and hoots exploded from all around the stadium.

            “But, before that, let’s all enjoy this marvelous number by the school cheer squad!”

            The cheer squad took their cue and went into formation. The marching band was at the back, pounding and blowing away at their worn-out and out-of-tune instruments. The head cheerleader, at the center shouted the first line of the cheer, “Give me an S!”

            Cue the S-placard.

            “Give me an E!”

            Luhan started biting his nails again, inching towards the center of the field slowly.

            “Give me an H!”

            The drummers had sweat dripping down their chins, but it couldn’t compare to the cold sweat forming on Sehun’s hands.

            “Give me a U!”

            Luhan took his place in the center of the formation, right in front of the head cheerleader.

            “Give me an N!”

            His name was on the center of the field, written in red ink, big and bold for everyone to see. He couldn’t explain what was running through his head right now. Surprise? Of course. Nervousness? A little. Excitement? Yes, plenty.

            “What does that spell?”

            One by one, the ones carrying the placards flipped theirs over and it read:

            PROM?

            Sehun’s eyes widened, looking for Luhan in the sea of people.

            Once he found him, and Luhan saw he’d been found, he cleared his throat and shouted at the top of his lungs.

            “OH SEHUN, WILL YOU GO TO PROM WITH ME?”

            Sehun smiled big, bigger, smiled until it looked like his face was going to split into two. Luhan ran up to him, a bouquet of flowers in his hands, and awaited his decision patiently.

            “Oh my God, are you crying?!” he asked as he made it up to his teary-eyed boyfriend.

            He quickly took his handkerchief and dried Sehun’s tears, holding him close.

           “Oh, God, oh, God, why are you crying? They didn’t tell me how to deal with this. Stop! Stop it, stop crying! You don’t have to say yes-“

            Sehun pushed down on Luhan’s muscular arms and looked him in the eye. “Hyung, hyung, calm down.”

            Luhan looked at Sehun worriedly.

            “I’m just... I mean, yes, I will,” he said, smiling with tears in his eyes.

            Cheers erupted around them and even the cheer squad rejoiced, the marching band came alive, and red balloons were released into the sky.

            Their lips met in the most innocent of kisses, one of the many to come, Luhan hoped.

            Where do balloons go when they disappear from sight?

            Maybe that’s where he’d gone.