Sprained hopes, mending heart

Of High Heels and Falling Literally Head Over For A Friend

 

I felt the carpeted floor under the table with my bare feet, which I freed earlier of the offending three-inch pumps, and wished it was my own bed I was padding on. I looked around the table and the seven other people, including my two best friends, mirrored the same expression on my face: ultimate boredom. Songyi shot me a look that says Why are we even here, gdi while Shinhye’s played Pokemon on her phone since we got here. I envy her for not looking so miserable. I could only sigh at our unfortunate fate. We were located literally at the farthest, most secluded table of the ballroom, very close to the long table of buffet. The smell of fried chicken seeped through my black cocktail dress, noxiously mixing with the Victoria Beckham perfume I sprayed earlier. Great.

I scanned the fairly large ballroom. Thick, ivory curtains were draped on the high walls, pinned, laced, and ribboned on the right places to create sophisticated waves of fabric. A fantastic view of the sparkling night, courtesy of the bustling city lights, can be viewed through the glass windows to the right. Dimmed wall lights were mounted in between the curtains around the room and a grand chandelier hung above the center, casting a romantic glow to the setting. Girls were on their best gowns; sparkling, flowing, y, lacy, and everything girls dream of wearing. Cameras were flashed every two seconds, almost as if wanting to capture every second of the night in pictures. Faces painted with layers and layers of make-up, hairs up in intricate braids and lazy chignon or curled to perfection. Boys were in their best behaviour, albeit unnatural and awkward. As if trying hard not to trip and crumple their carefully pressed tux. Silly games and unnecessary movements were suppressed to look formal and dignified. It’s a Prom Night all right. I almost want to snort at this ridiculous charade of dress-up. 

I wasn’t exactly in my best mood since we left the ridiculously priced salon my mom and aunt bought me to. Two horseface hovered over me, the other one styling my naturally clump of slightly unattractive curly hair while the other one pushed and pulled my head to “find the nice angles and features to highlight.” At least that’s what she told my mother. Nice my .

“What kind of girl doesn’t have features, she’s a cow,” said Horseface 1.

“It’s official: her hair is a dried, oily seaweed.” said Horseface 2.

They kept on chatting mindlessly about me, about me who’s ing less than a meter away from their gay balls which I could tie in knots within a minute, very well blissful and ignorant to the fact that I could fully understand gay lingo.

Then we drove to the nearest, albeit pricey, photo house in downtown to snap some 4 or 5 pictures of the same awkward poses. By the time we got to the prom’s reception, tables were already filled and we’re left with the one farthest from the crowd, along with the other outcasts. That had me breathing in deep to relax myself from the unfortunate events that coiled inside me, ready to snap any minute. I closed my eyes and I almost wished I never opened them again for the whole duration of the night because there he is. Hair pulled back to give way to his godly face, eyes curling into adorable crescents as he laughed with Minho, and his black tux fitted him perfectly like a glove. Almost as if it was made especially just for him, for this night.

Kim Jongin, the little .

The same little that had me silently nursing and mourning for the death of my unknown and unrequited first love. I’m infuriated by how he had me trailing for his false scent, giving me ridiculously high expectations and illusions of a potential to something, but had me crashing down to oblivion in a crumpled mess of broken hopes and extinct self confidence. Yet he still obliviously demands my undivided attention and gravitates me to him. And that’s what hurts the most; he was and is still ing oblivious to my demise.

He shifted his vision from his friends to an unknown sight that had him smiling bashfully, that same smile that had me falling head over for him. Not an adorable wide-mouthed smile or a sultry smirk but a tight-lipped one with the corners of his mouth tugging up. A smile that’s only reserved for a special fairy girl that’s definitely not me. I followed his trail to where his eyes laid, only to feel a heart string snap inside me chest.

Blissfully ignorant to the fact that she’s being lovingly stared at, Choi Sulli posed for the camera with her friends. Albeit going for the wacky pose, she still looked cute and frustratingly pretty for my liking. Wearing a lavender gown that flowed to her feet and a garland with small white flowers on her head, she looked regal and beautiful while being simple. I looked down my own black cocktail dress which flashes my white-strapped bra every now and then(I forgot I’d be wearing a sleeveless  dress  gdi) and moaned miserably. She’s like an angel while I looked like The Grim Reaper’s assistant. .

No wonder Jongin chose her over me. Hell who in the world would choose me over someone? Especially someone like her who’s talented, smart, funny, kind, pretty and ugh I’m blabbing too much. Amazing would be the appropriate term.

Suddenly it’s just me and my ugly self in the room, dancing a melancholic sway to the supposedly romantic song being played as I sat languidly in my chair. The perfume and laughters and sticky, romantic couple glances in the air suffocated me and I just want to dash out and breathe. I looked at Songyi, only to find her almost as miserable as me. I searched the room for who I believed caused her to feel the same way I do, and found him.  Exchanging flirty whispers and chaste touches with her girlfriend Yuri, Choi Minho seemed to be oblivious of the pain he’s inflicting my best friend. We’re both ed up left right down and I can’t help but pity the situation we’re both trapped in.

“Hey, I’m going to the bathroom,”

“Oh, okay!” Songyi abruptly said as I excused myself. Fake smile decorated her face, hiding in vain the glint of pain in her eyes. She must have thought I did not notice her sudden indifference. Silly girl, I’m your best friend and I know every you feel. But I let it go, suddenly feeling very tired.

I wore back the three-inch monster and gripped the railings as I shamefully manoeuvred my way to the comfort room in a snail’s pace. Thank god I did not slip and die when a voice startled me in the silent hallways.

“That hurts,”

“Yep. Like a ,”

“Why don’t you just remove it? I’d be glad to help you pull that out if it’s stuck,” Sehun offered and I shot him a look. I’m momentarily distracted at how fine he looked in his black tux. His hair neatly combed to the side like a true gentleman. But of course, Oh Sehun won’t be Oh Sehun without the infamous scowl on his face.

“No pain, no beauty,” I told him flatly, not minding how dumb I sound with that modified quote I blurted out.

“I don’t think so,”

“Easy for you to say because you’re standing on flat ground and still looks good,”

“You’d still look good without the lift,” I can’t really see him since he’s walking behind me but I figured he’s eyeing the offending shoes. Was that a compliment? But I was too tired and annoyed to notice so I snapped on reflex.

“Look, Sehun, it’s Prom Night and if that’s still not clear for you to understand why I’m enduring this ing then just shut the up.” I walked forward, faster even though my feet are practically cursing me. I noticed that I’m walking alone again and stopped in my tracks, sighing. I turned around and saw him standing, looking almost dejected and angry at the same time.

“Sorry,” I said after an internal debate whether to apologize or not. I snapped at him, partially for being annoying but mainly because of a certain frustration involving a boy inside the ballroom. So I deemed it appropriate to say sorry. My voice seemed to rouse him out of his reverie and snapped his head back up.

“You don’t have to endure it,” I sighed and was about to calmly explain to him how a girl should look when it’s prom and that it involves dresses and high ing heels when he spoke again. His next words caught me by surprise.

“You don’t have to be hurt like this, you don’t deserve it.”

My mind went blank as to how sure he sounded about it. I just knew from the tone of his voice that he’s not talking about my shoes. I adamantly denied the fact that maybe, just maybe, he knew something I’m supposed to keep as a secret. I feigned ignorance and chuckled, hoping in vain it didn’t sound as forced as it is.

“Uhm, yeah, s-so will you lend me your shoes to—”

“Drop the act. I know all about your thing with—”

“SSSHHH!” I ran my way to him to clamp my fist on his gossipy mouth and give him a piece of my mind but failed to do so when I lost my balance from the sudden movement and landed face first. Good thing I was able to shield my face from being crushed by the floor but my ankle did not share the same fate. I winced as I tried to touch it. I was just a loser in black, now I’m a loser in black with a broken ankle. He crouched over and pulled me back down by the shoulders when I tried to stand up.

“Look what you did to yourself,” he said as he tried to assess my ankle. His touch sent enough electricity to raise goosebumps on my arms. I tried to shake it off as the hotel’s air-conditioning.

“Did to myself? You were—what the Sehun!” he said nothing as if he didn’t hear me. After looking left and right, as if looking for something, he carried me, albeit with a grunt, bridal style. I was surprised with his sudden action that I abruptly wrapped my arms around his neck to avoid falling. He settled me on a sofa in the small lounge we passed earlier. He then made a mad dash to somewhere and brought an icepack when he got back. Sehun kneeled in front of me, but not before removing his coat and covered the exposed skin on my legs. Not knowing the blush that slowly crept to my face like a wildfire, he chuckled. We were silent as he carefully placed the icepack on my feet. When the pain slowly dulled to a throb, I decided to confront him with it.

“Sehun, what do you know?”

“I know enough to say you’re a fool,”

He seemed to know about my unfortunate story so I just didn't try to deny. I would really like to counter him and give him a piece of my mind but I felt my strength slowly slipped past me. Less because of the dull pain on my ankle, but more on the fact that he’s right. Being sad and bitter about someone is enough to drain you of your energy. He’s right. I am a fool.

“But not because you liked him. You can’t blame a person for falling over someone, right?” he’s looking at me expectantly, as if he need my approval on what he said. I nodded.

“You’re a fool because you failed to see the person who’s supposed to make you happy. And Krystal, you know you deserve more than just wishful thinking of what could have been, you deserve much more than that,” he said, not quite looking at me.

I somehow knew where he’s going at, it’s just that I refuse to believe in my hunch because then again, who would go for me? Who would like me? As much as I’d like to agree with him, I can’t. I can’t allow myself to believe again in something I can’t afford. Like deserving to be loved because I don’t. I’m not talented, not smart, not kind, not pretty and ugh I’m blabbing too much. I’m not amazing would be the appropriate term.

“Hm? What do you know, Sehun? I can’t even bring to like myself. How can I deserve more? How can I deserve anything?” I closed my eyes and leaned my head back the chair to avoid the threatening tears to trickle down and make a fool of myself.

Instead of words, I felt warm, soft lips on my cheek. His hands found my knees and felt it tremble in the slightest. He’s warm enough to convey feelings without unnecessary words, soft enough to banish ugly thoughts of insecurities. But the connection was brief, just enough to justify his words. Butterflies swarmed my stomach.  I can get used to this.

I opened my eyes, and looked at him like he’s crazy. I was waiting for the punchline to clarify that he was just joking. I was ready for the blow. But it never came.

“I like you, Krystal.”

Suddenly, everything became clear to me.

All this time, I’m too busy feeling bitter over someone who’s never actually cared for me, overlooking the one who really likes me for who I am. All this time, I’m too busy criticizing myself for not measuring up to someone’s expectations when I don’t really have to. All this time, I have loved Oh Sehun, but I’m too ed up, he’s invisible enough, and we’re both too stupid to make it work.

I held my breath and looked away. It’s dangerous enough that I’m slowly surrendering to this feeling. But he’s kneeling in front of me, looking at me like I’m a prized possession, like I matter and it’s impossible not to fall a little bit. From my knees, his hands found mine and gave it a squeeze. I found my voice.

“Why?” why am I even asking this? But I need to know.

“It’s not a question of why, it’s not even a question to begin with. You’re everything you think you’re not, Krystal. You just need the right person to appreciate that. Jongin for whatever misleading he told you before and I’m sorry for not being fast enough. But I’m here now,”

I felt my tears building up. I don’t want to cry in front of him, but I can’t try to push it back down. So I grabbed him and hid my face on his shoulders. my voice came out as muffled squeaks but I’m certain he understood me.

“Is this a confession?”

“If you’re not leaning on me, I would have smacked you right on the face. Can you at least help me not to make this any more awkward?”

I felt him smile through my hair and all my inhibitions went down the drain. I felt myself smiling too. Less than sassy Sehun’s retort but more of this wonderful feeling he’s giving me. I felt his arms wrap around my waist and I pulled him closer and we both smiled like the idiots that we are.

Suddenly, spraining your ankle on a prom night doesn’t seem to be a bad thing at all.

 


 

EVERYTHING from the hotel decors to the ty outcast table, the two salon horsface, EVERYTHING! No , this is my story and how went down lol. Except for the romantic, gooey parts because my own real-life Sehun is still MIA. But my real-life Jongin... Well he's a douche. HAHAHAHA 

please let me know what you think through comments. THANKSSS