Chapter 1

My Love, My Kiss, My Heart

With my old knapsack on the lap and my earphones blaring out F.T Island’s After Love in my ears, the taxi kept on rolling forwards a long busy road. The taxi driver kept to himself, not minding me one bit at the back of his car. I looked out of the car window and frowned.

“When am I gonna arrive?” I grumbled to myself, “Excuse me ajushie…” I tapped the driver lightly on the shoulder, pulling out one earphone out of my ear.

“Ne?” he answered back in a gruff tone.

“How long will it be till we arrive to-”

“About 15 minutes miss.” the driver cut me off before I can finish my sentence. I nodded back while pouting at his slight rudeness towards me. I put my earphones back in and took out a piece of paper that my aunt sent me.

‘Yumi-shiie,

I know I’ve never really spoke to you since you were only 5 years-old and you might not even remember me at all but I would like you to move in with me. I just found out that you have been living alone for the past 2 months ever since your umma died and I had a thought that that is not a good way for a young girl like you to grow up unattended without any parents to take care of you.

If you would like to come and live with me here in Busan then please do ring me or send me a letter and I will come and arrange every single thing for you. You can count on me, Yumi.

We can get to know each other again and I promise to take good care of you. I am your only relative and I want to help you. Not because I have to, it’s because I want to. There are some people I would like you to meet also. You will get along with them, I promise.’

I had such a long thought about this. Her letter came out of the blue. I never knew she even existed! Well… The only thing I know about her is that she is my umma’s older sister who used to always visit me on my birthdays but then suddenly stopped. She never ever contacted us so that’s how maybe I never knew she existed. My mind was refreshed from her.

“We’re nearly here…” the taxi driver suddenly spoke, breaking my train of thoughts. I looked out of the window, passing a huge posh school on the way before turning various corners to different roads. Would that be my school? I stuffed the letter back in my bag and sat up properly as the car suddenly drove to a private road with a dead end. My eyes widened as we approached the dead end and right at that dead end was a huge house with a white iron gate that surrounded the house, tall and posh looking. The house looked like it belonged to a millionaire. The house was tall and humongous with painted a crème colour with a blue door with the number 15 on it. The taxi stopped.

“Ajushie~ Are you sure that this is the place?” I asked. This can’t be the house.

“Number 15 Chumbeok Road right?”

“Ne…” I fixed my blue beanie on my head quickly.

“Then we are at the right place.” the taxi driver looked at me using the rear view mirror. I swallowed hard and grabbed my knapsack and opened the car door.

“Kamsahamnida ajushie…” I bowed my head, passing him the money before stepping out of the car, the boot opening as soon as I stepped out. Before I can even make my way to grab my bags from the boot, the white gates suddenly opened, a woman in her late 20s walking out.

“Yumi-shiie~” she cried, half walking and half running over to me before pulling me into a tight hug. I let my arms lay by my sides, not knowing what to do but just let her hug me close. I blinked back at her when she pulled away to take a look at my face.

“You look just like your umma.” she smiled. She was a pretty woman with short black hair that was tucked behind her ears, a sweet motherly smile, wide eyes and thin lips. “How was your ride here?” I just blinked back at her again.

“It was long.” I uttered. She looked at me from head to toe, pursing her thin lips.

“You look like you haven’t ate for such a long time.” she sighed.

“Maybe because I’ve been living on my own for a while.” I mumbled back.

“How have you been?” she asked me, full of concern in her eyes, “You could of contacted me about your umma’s death and I could of taken you in quicker-”

“Well I didn’t have any way to contact you… to be honest…” I paused, “I don’t know you.” she looked back at me looking quite shocked my reply. It’s true though! I barely know her!

“I suppose that’s understandable… I lost contact with you and your umma 10 years ago..” she sighed, “I’m really sorry about that, Yumi..” she touched my arm lightly, “I hope you don’t think bad of me..” I shrugged back, not knowing what to say, “Let’s get you indoors ne? You must be so tired.” before I can respond, she went to grab my stuff from the boot, all of it. She was stronger than me. The taxi left as soon as the boot was shut, leaving me to follow my aunt to the house.

“Is this where you live?” I murmured.

“Anio~” she answered.

“What do you mean?” I squeaked.

“Oh-oh~ Well, I live in that house over there. This is where you will be living with the boys.” my aunt quickly told me.

“Boys?!” my voice went high pitched.

“I’ll explain when we get inside.” she quickly told me. I passed the gates and it automatically closed with a loud clang. I walked along the long paved drive that lead to a huge rectangular garage, my aunt going straight to the foot path. I gnawed my thumb as she opened the front door. ‘This is where you will be living with the boys.’ her words went around my head again and again. I will be living with boys? I swallowed hard with worry. I will be living with boys?! I’d rather live on my own again! I stopped by they front door, letting my aunt walk on without noticing that I had stopped.

“So, this is your home-”

“So how many boys live here?” I cut her off, trying not to sound rude.

“10.” she eye smiled my way, putting my bags down by her feet, “There used to be 11 but one of them went back to Canada.”

“10??” I freaked. “I’ll be living with 10 boys?!”

“Yah~ don’t freak! They are a lovely bunch of boys! There are the people I wanted you to meet. You would get on so well with them. Especially Kyuhyun-shiie.” she turned away from me and walked away, her footsteps can be heard as it echoed from the shiny hard floor and back at me.

“Why are there 10 boys living here though? Are you like- their aunt or?” I asked. She spun around to look at me bewilderedly like I just offended her but she suddenly bursted out laughing.

“These boys are not related to me at all.” she answered, “The boys all come from different families from different parts of South Korea. I own this boarding house to let teenagers like them live in during their education in Neulparan.”

“Neulparan?” I asked completely lost.

“Neulparan is one of the best schools in this country, it is very to get into and very expensive. These boys moved here to go to this school.”

“but don’t they have schools where they live?”

“Their parents sent them here.” my aunt answered.

“Oh so they are troublemakers?” I crossed my arms.

“No, it’s not like that, Yumi-shiie.” my aunt chuckled, “They also wanted to move here so they can get a good education. Neulparan is a performing arts school and the boys are very talented.” she started to walk on, leaving me behind. I was still confused. So basically this house is for teenagers who wants to get education. I sighed. I followed timidly, trying not to walk heavily so that I don’t create a noise. I was in shock. It was large inside! It was clean as well! Too clean for a bunch of 10 boys to live in! the hall was long and narrow and as soon as I came to the end of the hall passing 2 doors when I was greeted by a long broad staircase.

“Leeteuk-ah~” my aunt shouted up the stairs, making me jump.

“This house is huge…” I breathed but averted my eyes up at the top of the stairs, hearing heavy footsteps coming out of a faraway bedroom and voices shouting. This house looks like there would be more floors that this. I dropped my knapsack by my legs.

“He must have not heard me. After all, there are 3 floors in this boarding house.” my aunt chuckled, “Leeteuk-ah~ Come down here!!” There were more heavy footsteps occurring upstairs and finally, audible voices. 3 floors?! Oh my god -_-

“Hyung~~ Someone is calling you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” a high voice called from a room.

“Leeteuk-ah, Yumi is here!” my aunt called again before turning to me, “I’ve told them about you coming. They seem all keen for you to be coming here, they decorated your room you know.”

“They did?” I squeaked but before she can reply back, someone came thundering down the stairs in a hurry, stopping short on the 5th stair before the landing. I looked up shyly to see a boy my age with light brown that was fluffy at the top and a bit hovered over his pretty eyes. He smiled at me, showing a simple dimple that took me off guard as it was too cute~!

“Leeteuk, this is Yumi.” my aunt introduced me, “Come and greet her.” The boy who was Leeteuk looked me up and down.

“Yumi did you say?” he asked. His voice was kind which had a cheeky tone to it, “Kayha noona, doesn’t she look a bit like Yesung?” I looked at my aunt, about to ask who the heck is Yesung. She grinned.

“Oh ne, she does doesn’t she?” she flicked my hair off my shoulder gently, “Yesung would freak won’t he?”

“Yes he will, noona.” Leeteuk turned to me, “Annyeong haseyo, Leeteuk imnida. Nice to meet you.” he bowed low.

“Annyeong, Yumi imnida, please take care of me.” I smiled back nervously.

“Leeteuk, I expect you to take good care of her for me as you are the leader. Show her around, tell her everything she needs to know.” my aunt pushed me forwards, “Go and call Shindong to take the bags up with you.” Leeteuk nodded back once and turned around.

“SHINDONG~! GET DOWN HERE!!!!!!” he screamed at the top of his voice, “STOP EATING SUNGMIN’S SWEETS!!!!”

“I’M COMING DOWN OH FEARLESS LEADER!” I heard a very loud booming voice call down quickly. My aunt tapped me on the shoulder so my attention was focused back on her.

“Don’t you worry or feel nervous around the boys. They are friendly and you will get on well with them well.” she hugged my shoulders, “I have something to do right now so come and see me whenever you like. I’m just in yellow house outside.” she smiled at me one last time before walking away. I turned my back on her to see Leeteuk has came down to where I am, making me jump a little.

“Mianhaeyo.” he grinned, “Cute beanie-”

“What do you want hyung?-” a voice boomed, making us both look up, “Oh, Yesung why the hell are you dressed up like a girl?!” the boy was a bit in the round side with black curly like hair. He looks so cuddly. He is Shindong I expect.

“Yah- this is not Yesung pabo! this is Yumi~! Kayha noona’s niece!” Leeteuk corrected him. Shindong stomped down the stairs and took a proper look at me before grinning widely.

“Wow~ you look like Yesung soo much. But you‘re quite small…” he nodded to himself, “Nice to meet you Yumi. I’m Shindong, the joker of the group.” I nodded back shyly before picking up my knapsack.

“here let me!” Shindong suddenly grabbed half my bags on the floor while Leeteuk took my knapsack and the rest of my bags, “You’re so small you might fall carrying these bags.”

“Kamsahamnida…” I finally grinned, feeling like I will get on with these two.

“Gaja~ Let’s show you the room!” Leeteuk bounced on the spot before running up the stairs like lightning with Shindong bouncing after him and me trying to keep up. I wonder what floor I am in. As we approached the 1st floor, there were 5 doors with stickers that spelled names apart from one which had a sign saying Bathroom in bold black letters.

“That’s my room!” Shindong pointed out to the one nearest to my right, “Eunhyuk’s, Siwon’s and Yesung’s.” Shindong pointed out the doors for me, “Don’t go in Eunhyuk’s room if you hate bad smells, don’t go in Siwon’s if you are not religious or you will burn and go to my room if ever you are hungry.” we walked up the second lot of stairs and I instantly saw my name on a door. There were 4 more doors, 2 on either side of my own door.

“My room is right next to yours so come in to my room if you need anything at anytime araso?” Leeteuk smiled kindly over to me, “Don’t go in Heechul’s room cause he is a total diva-”

“Leeteuk I better not be hearing you saying anything bad about me to the new girl!” I heard a voice threaten from the room that was next to Leeteuk’s.

“If you like fish, go to Donghae’s room.” Shindong pointed to the other door on the other side of my own door and next to that door was the bathroom. “We have a bathroom each on every floor and 2 toilets downstairs.”

“Ok.” was all I can say back to him when Donghae’s door suddenly opened and out came a boy who looked like he was still 12 in a black and white stripy shirt, messy black hair and he sort of makes me think of a fish.

“Oh Donghae-”

“ARGHH~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Donghae suddenly screamed, his eyes widening so much it looked like his eyes balls were going to pop out at the sight of me and ran back in his room in fright. I was shocked. I didn’t do anything!!

“Yah-” Leeteuk blinked back shock like Shindong, both as plain shock as me.

“Do I look scary?” I muttered. Something vibrated in both Shindong and Leeteuk’s pockets at the same time as more phones started ringing in rooms. I looked wildly over at Leeteuk and Shindong who both checked their phones at the same time.

“DONGHAE WHY THE HELL ARE YOU TEXTING ME WHEN I AM DOWNSTAIRS?!” I heard a voice growl from downstairs.

“Donghae, did you text everyone in the house?!” Leeteuk went knocking in Donghae’s door but the guy didn’t answer so Leeteuk came back over to us but as he did, his phone vibrated to show a message that says ‘Ne’ that came from Donghae. Leeteuk looked up at me weirdly.

“Wae Hae? Wae?!” Shindong boomed and right after he said it, his own phone vibrated again. “’I’m afraid to go out.’” Shindong read out.

“Don’t mind the Fish. He is not used to girls being in the house.” Leeteuk put a hand on my shoulder lightly, “Gaja, there’s your room over there.” we all walked inside my room, Shindong opening the door for me despite the bags he was carrying. I walked in to be greeted by a refreshing cool aroma. The room was huge unlike my box room where I used to live. The walls were a baby blue colour, the light had moon and stars crystal shade, the ceiling had glow in the dark stickers, a huge bed with silk covers and a double door by my left. It was the room I always wanted!

“Wow~” I breathed. Leeteuk and Shindong grinned at each other, putting my bags down and pushing me forwards, “This is my room?”

“Ne!” Shindong and Leeteuk chorused.

“Kayha noona sad you liked blue and stars so we tried to make it perfect for you and tried hard not to make it look like a boy’s room.” Leeteuk added, “As you’re a girl, we gave you the room with the biggest wardrobe to put your clothes in oh and you that teddy bear on the bed?” he pointed to a cute brown teddy bear with a pink and blue spotted ribbon around the neck in the middle of the bed, “That came from Henry.”

“Henry?” I cocked my head to the side.

“Henry Lau, he is the Chinese pabo who left us to go back to Canada.” Shindong snorted, “He wanted to meet you but he left 2 days ago so he thought he’d give you a ‘roomwarming’ present. He hopes to meet you someday.”

“He said he will be coming back here.” Leeteuk eye smiled, “Your school uniform, books and shoes are in the wardrobe. You will be going to Neulparan with us!” My eyes widened in awe. I was going to the school that is so hard to get into?! Wow!

“Kayha noona sorted it for you.” Shindong patted my back, “We shall leave you to unpack, if you want to rest you can or if not, come and see us in my room, we’ll all be there.”

“Including Donghae. And I promise you that this time he won’t scream at you again.” Leeteuk winked and they both left me in my new room. Once my bedroom door was closed, I jumped on my bed like a little kid. This was the best room ever. Not so girly at all! I hate anything girly! I’m no tomboy or anything but I was grateful that they didn’t even think of putting anything pink or flowery in this room as I hate pink!!! SO MUCH! I grabbed the teddy bear on the bed. It was so fluffy! That was so nice of that Henry Lau kid to get me this. I smiled at the teddy bear before putting it down and skipping over to the double doors. Quickly opening, I was rooted on the spot to see that it was a walk in wardrobe!

“Wow~” I breathed again, walking in and instantly smelling that smell of dry paint. It was cream colours with rails that had hangers hanging and shoes rack and drawers. It was the size of my box room! At the corner of the wardrobe, there were uniforms hanging there.

“2 pinafores, 5 short sleeved school tops, 5 long sleeved school tops, a blazer and two cardigans.” I smiled to myself, “Wow~ I’m set!” I looked down and saw a stack of thick books, a big pencil case and a new red knapsack big enough to fit the books. This was great. I don’t have to worry about anything! It looks like I don’t have anything to do about my education and my room. I started unpacking everything from all my bags, putting clothes and shoes in the wardrobe, personal stuff in the cool white bedside table and putting some of my other plushies on the bed.

“Shall I go meet the other boys?” I asked myself, checking myself on the mirror I found behind my wardrobe doors. I inhaled deeply and walked out of my new room, hearing loud chattering downstairs. I guess they were all in Shindong’s room now. I walked down the stairs to the 1st floor and hesitated to knock on Shindong’s door. I can hear them talking about me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------