The kiss cam

The kiss cam

He hated it. He totally hated it.

 

How could Dongwoon and Kikwang stand him up like that? After all the time spent during the previous week trying to convince him to join them, out of the blue they sent a message saying that they weren't feeling like coming to  the football match anymore. Asses.

" Jerks!" he shouted out loud tapping furiously all his frustration on his cellphone, ignoring the confused glances from the passersby.

In reality he didn't really care if the two of them had changed their minds, the problem was that no Dongwoon and Kikwang meant that he was left alone with that guy, Yong Junhyung.

 

Yoseob didn't know exactly how he and his two best friends came to know each other, but he was sure that in those few months since he had started joining them at their table in the cafeteria, he hadn’t seen him smile once or heard him take part in a proper conversation at all, so he didn't really know how to act around him. 

He tried, he really did. Being the social butterfly he was he had instantly greeted him happily and presented himself only to receive back a blank look, followed by a simple 'Junhyung'. Since their first meeting he could recall other times where he had tried to start a kind of interaction, but from what he remembered, all of them ended in an uncomfortable silence.

And now he was obliged to endure a full hour ( plus the break time ) of a game he didn’t even like with him.

..Man, that was going to be awkward.

 

Too much absorbed in sending all kind of insults he could think of to those traitors, he didn’t notice that a figure had approached him from behind and was now reading his little works of art. 

“...That’s impressive. I didn’t know you could compare someone to a.. what’s a cercopithecidae ? “ Junhyung murmured lowly over his shoulder, hands dipped into his jeans’ pockets and brows furrowed in the attempt to translate his sms into a living language.

Yoseob, on the other hand, was lucky he didn’t let his precious new phone drop on the ground from the sudden surprise, his body jerked automatically away from that voice as he let a small cry slip out of his lips.

“ Oh- uhm.. Sorry. Didn’t notice you there. Hm- hi ? “

Trying to lift at least one of the corners of his mouth in a smile, he scratched lightly his head taking his time to study the other. Junhyung was wearing a simple dark blue t-shirt with a v neck and his perfectly styled raven-black hair which appeared from under his NY hip hop hat, were half covering those eyes that were unexpressive as always, maybe today even more. He couldn’t tell if he was bored or if he was just born with that expression, but of one thing he was sure of: they kept on staring at him and that needed to stop. Yoseob was a guy of small stature, he really didn’t need Junhyung to make him feel even more little than he already was with that probing look.

So, in the attempt to distract the boy with anything different than his face or his general self, he put a hand in the pocket of his jacket and pulled out two tickets, handing him one of them.

 

“I don’t know if you’ve heard, but Dongwoon and Kiki aren’t coming anymore. It’s just the two of us.. Shall we go ? ”

 

“..Mh.”

 

With that, Junhyung turned around and started walking slowly towards the gates, leaving Yoseob staring at his retreating back.

 

...Aaaawkward.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The match had started just twenty minutes before and all Yoseob wanted to do was to drown in his soda (or even better, choke on his peanuts ) because sports + Junhyung  = desperate Seob.

It wasn’t that the match itself was extremely boring, but he already wasn’t a big fan of football, and watching it with the ameba guy wasn’t exactly what he could call a total fun.

Junhyung hadn’t diverted his eyes from the field since the referee announced with a whistle the start of the game and they hadn’t spoken to each other, not even when their team scored the first touchdown.

It seemed like Junhyung kinda enjoyed the game, Yoseob deduced it from the fact that his body couldn’t stay still and he felt him juddering everytime one of the korean players had the ball. It was kind of frustrating, but at the same time Yoseob couldn’t help but laugh out loud when the dark haired boy, possibly overwhelmed by sudden feelings of fanboying, jerked his fists up in the air, hitting accidentally the seat in front of him. It was even more funnier when the guy, hearing him laughing, had directed his gaze for a millisecond in his direction and then turned around again to give him the full view of his back (it was becoming an habit), still massaging lightly the damaged hand.

In that moment he was sure that he saw his ears – that were popping out of the cap – turning reddish. But it was possible that once again it had been just an hallucination caused from the bright lights of the stadium.

 

 

Finally the moment of the timeout came after what for seemed like an eternity (and in reality was just something around forty minutes of game). Everybody started to stand up to take advantage of the fact that they had ten minutes of break to go to the bathroom or buy something to fill their stomachs.

Even Yoseob was considering the idea of the bathroom - the soda was making its effects on his bladder – but when he was on the verge of announcing his imminent visit to the stalls, he saw that Junhyung was staring intently at something placed on the other part of the field. By following his gaze he discovered that it was nothing more than the big screen on which was broadcasted one of the most famous diversions of the history of football and sports in general: the kiss cam.

 

Yoseob found cute that something like that game existed, especially now that he was looking at a couple of married elderly kissing each other lightly and sweetly, action that had the whole stadium going aaaaaw and melt everybody’s hearts  (maybe even Junhyung’s one, because was that the ghost of a smile he saw or that afternoon his sight had serious functioning problems ?).

 

“Well, I think I’m gonna go to the-“

 

“Dad, look!” a little boy from the front row screamed cheerfully over the noise pointing his small finger towards the screen and jumping excitedly “That’s the two guys behind us! And I’m there too, I’m on tv!”

 

..What.

 

His eyes shifted nervously to the giant television, still with the hope that in no way, in the middle of the crowd, the kiss cam had actually chosen them.

Well, .

The cam was  filming Junghyung and him and the two of them had the same shocked expression mixed with something that resembled pure horror.

From an outsider point of view they were kind of  hilarious really, Yoseob with his jaw practically on the floor and Junhyung’s eyes that threatened to pop out from their orbits.

 

In Yoseob’s mind, together with all the curses he could think of, bloomed the perspective of collect his belongings and run away as fast as he could, and he would’ve done that if the crowd hadn’t suddenly started to cheer and whistle for them to kiss. 

“ No ! We’re not a couple!” he retorted waving frantically his hands and shaking his head trying to stop the public, who was starting booing ‘cause they were taking so long.

 

 “Come on man, just kiss him and get over with it!”

 

He didn't have the time to react that a pair of strong fingers had already grasped his chin and forcefully obliged him to focus his attentions on their owner. 


It all happened in a matter of seconds. One moment he was trying really hard to keep himself calm and not give into a panic attack because of the older's sudden action (proximity, coff), and the other his brain had waved him goodbye and out the istant Junhyung's soft and warm lips pressed chastily over his. 


 

Probably it had passed around a minute or maybe even something more, because when he recovered from the shock, Junhyung was spread over his seat again, eyes fixed on the field where the game had already restarted.

Yoseob tried more than once to utter something about what had just happened, but his state of shock still made it impossible for him to word anything at all and plus he was well aware that if he had attempted to open his mouth, his tongue would have surely gone against him. So in the end, they just stayed like nothing happened until the referee informed everybody that they could finally go home. The match had finished with a hard-earned victory of the Seoul team, so everyone was cheering vociferously, big men were hugging and giving each other pushes and heavy pats on the back.

Standing up, Yoseob stretched his arms over his head and yawned loudly; just one hour of that stupid game (and more stupid cam) had rendered him exhausted, especially his brain, that was almost fuming from all the thinking.

Wobbling through the mass of bodies on the stairs that led to the exit, he didn’t noticed when a man five times Yoseob's size bumped into him, shoving him to the side and making him lose balance on his feet.

The little guy was already bracing himself to the impact with the ground, when he realized that it never happened. Just as he opened his eyes he hoped he hadn’t done that, because he was faced with a really really really close Junhyung who had ( with extremely fast reflexes, Yoseob had to admit) caught him on time before he could roll down the staircase, and was now holding him with one arm wrapped tightly around his waist, while the other hand was gripping the handrail preventing the two of them to fall.

 

“Watch where you’re going.”

 

It surely wasn’t just the crowd to blame for the rush of heat he felt spreading on his cheeks and the slight tingle in his waist where the strong fingers of the other had just detached themselves from the soft fabric of his shirt. Maybe he was allergic to peanuts, that could explain perfectly why, when Junhyung  (probably to make sure he didn’t tripped again) latched their two hands together and dragged him towards the exit, his heart began to pump furiously in his chest and his face started to boil. He looked down at their joined hands. and another wave of warmth hit him like a train on full speed.

 

..Yes, totally the peanuts.

 

 

 

“Well- It has been fun..” Yoseob could look everywhere but Junhyung’s face, so he opted for the pavement. “Thank you for keeping me company, see you at school?”

 

"...Mh."

 

Knowing that he wouldn't obtain a longer answer, he just smiled faintly and waved goodbye to the guy turning then around in the direction of his bus stop.

He had just walked a few steps when the familiar husky voice called him back.

 

"Yang Yoseob."

 

He curiously directed his gaze towards the raven haired boy and raised  an eyebrow as to show him he was waiting for Junhyung to continue.

 

"Would you..next week there's Daegu against Busan." he stated, fixing some of his black bangs and unconsciounsly staring at a random point on the ground.

It took some seconds for Yoseob to click at what Junhyung was subtly proposing, but then a knowing smile made its way on his lips and he nodded.

 

 

"That's a date then."