What We Do For Love

What We Do For Love

Heavy air filled the dark room; the only source of light was a beam of moonlight that shone through curtains. Two bodies were lying in the bed, their lower halves covered by a thin blanket. One of the persons was obviously asleep, while the other was leaned on his elbow, observing the former’s peaceful features.

The sleeping male had a strong jawline and full plumb lips. His hair was cut shut and dyed in a silver-like colour. He had biceps larger than usual, which showed off the many hours spent working out. His chest rose and fell with his breath, his well-defined stomach and chest muscles clenched with each breath. The other person was the exact opposite. He had a lithe frame and delicate facial features. His hair was dyed blonde and his skin was porcelain white, which made him seem particularly fragile. 

The blonde person was leaning over the other’s sleeping frame, gently brushing his fingers through the short silvery hair with a troubled expression. This was their last night together and Kibum, the blonde male, was already regretting that he had spent it together with Jonghyun. All those years spent together would mean nothing by tomorrow; Jonghyun would be ripped from him, forced to marry a woman his parents had chosen for him. Kibum still hadn’t accepted it, even if he had known about the arranged marriage for almost a year. They lived in the 21th century, for God’s sake; arranged marriages shouldn’t be a thing according to the blonde male.

Kibum had tried to convince Jonghyun that they should run away together, but the latter had promptly refused. He was far from fond of leaving Kibum behind and spend the rest of his life with a person he never could love, but he did it because his parents wished it.

“She doesn’t deserve you.” Kibum said breathlessly and he felt tears well in his eyes when he saw a soft smile tugging in the corner of Jonghyun’s lips. “You can’t leave me, you belong with me, you know that. I won’t let you marry her.” Something in Kibum’s eyes changed with those words and he slowly trailed his hand from Jonghyun’s cheek to the crook of his neck while moving so he now sitting on the latter’s chest.

Jonghyun groaned softly in his sleep because of the extra weight that now was on his chest, but didn’t wake up. Kibum’s heart hammered in his chest and he could feel the adrenaline running through his veins. He closed his eyes for a second while he drew in a deep breath before finally tightening his hands around Jonghyun’s throat.

The silver haired male let out a choked sound in his sleep before his eyes flew open, staring up at Kibum, who met his gaze with determined eyes.

“K-Kibum. I, I can’t…” Jonghyun was unable to finish his sentence. Kibum had tightened his hold even more; he couldn’t bear listening to Jonghyun, he knew he would stop if he listened to him.

“I told you not to marry her. I told you not to leave me!” Kibum’s voice shook as he looked hysterically down at the man he loved. “You should have listened to me!” Tears of frustration had filled Kibum’s eyes but he blinked them back. “If I can’t have you, no one can.”

Jonghyun could only stare up at his lover, his mind slowly processing the words. This was when panic set in, his eyes widened and body tensed at the sudden rush of adrenaline. Weakly he grabbed onto Kibum’s thin wrist, trying to pry away; but the latter’s grip was too firm. His attempt to get free got weaker as the panic in his eyes got stronger. A shiver eventually moved through his body before a last wheezing breath slipped past his lips.

Minutes passed that felt like hours, before Kibum removed his hands from the other’s throat, his eyes wide. Taking a deep breath, he moved down from the other’s chest, unable to wrap his mind around what just happened. She couldn’t marry him now. A sick smile spread across Kibum’s lips when he thought of that, a nervous laughter erupting from him.

After calming down again, Kibum reached out for his nightstand, digging around in the drawer before fishing out a small, blank bottle. He seated himself against the lifeless body, before he opened the bottle and gulped down the poison. He dropped the empty body beside him and then lay close to Jonghyun’s still warm body.

A smile spread across Kibum’s lips, Jonghyun looked so peaceful like this, like all troubles had vanished. He leaned up to press a small kiss to Jonghyun’s unmoving lips, before burying his face in the crook of the latter’s face. Whimpers left him every time the pain intensified and he clung to the unmoving frame.

“J-Jonghyun, dying hurts.” He said breathlessly. His chest was burning and he could feel pain flare in his chest. The choking feeling in his throat got worse and he could barely breathe at the moment.  “I’m scared, Jjong.” His voice was far too low to be heard by anyone. His eyelids got heavier and heavier, and the burning feeling in his chest spread out through his body.

“You will find me there, won’t you? You have to find me…” Kibum’s whispered softly with his last breath, before he closed his eyes as well.   

 

Extremly short I know ;~; Not even 1k, but this was originally an English Assignment, so I had a word limit which explains why it's so short. >'<

- KimmieJjong