The Third Blood

Her Name

"And now, the prom king and queen goes to... Mark Tuan and Nana Im!"

Every one clapped for them as they walked up to the stage. Nana was speechless. She definitely had not expected this.

As they stood with their crowns, Nana holding a bouquet, Nana caught the glint of someone's smirk coming from the area of the ceiling, but passed it of as a trick of the light. 

She had second thoughts.

Everyone in the gymnasium watched as the thick red fluid dumped from a bucket in the ceiling, splitting all over Nana, standing in her tiara and silk dress.

Everything was silent for a moment. Then the bucket fell. Right on top of Mark's head. The sound rang throughout the entire gymnasium. Nana walked over, completely and utterly shocked, to Mark's body. She felt his wrist. No pulse. She began to cry while whispering, "No," over and over again.

Then the video of Nana on the floor in the bathroom began to play on a projector.

Everyone began to laugh. They were laughing. How could they be laughing, she thought, Mark is dead! She looked to the ceiling and saw Suji and Minho running away.

The video stopped.

Nana stood up. Suddenly, a boy flew up to the bleachers by no visible force, and the bleachers closed, killing him.

Nana was using her powers.

A mass of people began to run towards the doors. They swung shut. They began banging on them, screaming as people were pulled into the air as Nana moved her hands and manipulated them.

The twins, Choa and Way, tripped on their long dresses on their way to the door. Sickening crunch noises were heard as their frail bodies were trampled.

They died.

Jia, a popular girl, was running when chords s in front of her feet and caught fire, which ended up catching her dress, and eventually her, on fire. 

She died.

Fei, the last of the popular girls, was dodging flying bodies when one, a live one, kicking and screaming, flew towards her face. It took her with it and she was flung into a wall of fire created by Nana herself.

She died.

All of the students but one died that night.

All of the staff but one died that night.

Jieun Lee and Mrs. Sunye Park were the sole survivors of Jeonwae High School. The only people who had shown her any sort of kindness at all.

–––

When Nana left the building, she spotted Minho's car with Minho and Suji in it. It was trying to escape.

How cute.

When Suji spotted a fissure forming in the road, she said to her boyfriend, "Oh my God. It's Nana. Oh my God."

As Minho peered through the windshield, he noticed a figure drenched in blood, seemingly pig's blood, standing in the middle of the road.

"Run her over."

Minho did as he was told.

Or tried, at least.

When they were five feet from Nana, she held her hand up.

The car stopped.

Nana pushed her hand forward.

The front of the car was crushed.

Pieces of glass wedged themselves in Minho's stomach.

Suji felt his wrist.

No pulse. 

She tried to get out of the car, but Nana closed her hand into a fist. The car was locked. No matter how hard she tried, Suji could not get the door open.

Nana snapped her fingers. The car exploded.

–––

When Nana returned home, she found a hole in the door of the prayer closet. Her mother had broken down the door.

She snuck into the bathroom and quickly took a bath, washing all of the blood away. 

She was walking to bed and spotted her mother reading the Bible. 

"You were right, Mama. They all laughed."

"It's okay, sweetie. Come here. We'll pray. We'll pray together. I'll be the preacher and you'll be the choir." 

As Nana's mother hugged her daughter and said the Lord's Prayer, she stabbed her daughter in the back with a pair of scissors.

"Nana, it has to be done, you've gotta die, honey, the devil's in you. I love you."

Nana's eyes turned dark red.

"Mama, you don't know what you just did."

Nana's mother was lifted up in the air. Knives from the kitchen zoomed towards her and stuck through her hands, feet, and one slashed her side.

Blood and water came out.

Nana rushed to her mother and caught her as she fell. 

She was dead.

Just then, Jieun walked into Nana's house. "Nana! Oh my God, I heard what happened–" Jieun stopped speaking as she noticed the dead woman in Nana's arms.

"I killed my mama."

Debris started to fall from the ceiling. The walls began to crumble.

"Leave, Jieun. You can still live."

Jieun was forcefully pushed through the door. She watched as the house was consumed by the ground.

–––

Jieun walked to Nana and her mother's gravestone. Among all the writing in blood that said, "Nana Im burns in hell," she placed a single white rose.

She walked away.

A crack formed in the headstone, and Jieun said that just as she left the cemetery, she heard Nana scream.