Blood

Her Name

Gym was always Nana's least favorite class. She never understood the appeal of throwing a ball around, getting sweaty, and showering in forty minutes. As she stood in the corner, Nana wondered what was going to happen during the rest of the day. She watched the popular girls, Jieun and Suji passing the ball back and forth. They looked at her and smirked. 

–––

As Nana was showering, she began to feel a pain in her lower abdomen. She groaned and continued showering. When the pain persisted, she looked down.

And oh, was she surprised.

Blood was flowing from an area she'd never seen blood flow from. THE area. "I'm dying," Nana thought, "Oh Lord, I'm dying. Take me to heaven please, Lord." The pain grew sharper. "I'M DYING! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" The dread in the pit of her stomach grew. She haphazardly threw a towel around herself, staining it with blood, and ran from the showers. "SOMEBODY HELP ME! I'M DYING!" she screamed. She noticed Jieun and Suji, along with their friends, Choa and Way (the twins), Jia, and Fei. She reached her hand towards them and yelled, "HELP ME, PLEASE!" 

"Oh my God, she's bleeding!" Jieun said. "Guys, she needs help– wait a minute, look where the towel's stained." All six popular girls turned their heads to the stain–"OH MY GOD, IT'S PERIOD BLOOD!" Suji yelled. The girls began to laugh. "Honey, it's just your period!" they giggled. "PLEASE HELP ME!" Nana cried. She was sobbing at this point. Just then, Suji pulled out her phone and began filming. The girls grabbed tampons and pads, threw them at her, and began to chant, "Plug it up, plug it up, plug it up!" over and over again. The gym teacher, Sunye, pushed through the crowd and yelled, "Girls, get out of here!" while hugging Nana. Nana was still screaming and sobbing. 
And then, a strange thing happened. The tampons lying around Nana began to move away from her in short, sporadic movements. Sunye yelled, "Nana! Get a hold of yourself!" She slapped Nana's back and Nana stopped sniveling. 

–––

When Nana's mother pulled up to the school to pick up her daughter, Nana walked out of the school. Nana's mother noticed children around her daughter making ual hand movements. Nana opened the car door and slid in. "What happened?" her mother asked in a monotone voice. She knew what happened, Nana could tell. After getting no answer, Nana's mother repeated herself. "Why didn't you tell me, Mama?" Nana said quietly. Nana's mother gave no response and drove away from the school.


–––

The teasing continued. All of the girls involved with the incident had their senior prom privileges revoked. Sunye told them that they could have their privileges back if they ran 30 suicides. All of the girls did what was asked of them. They all felt bad. 

Except for one girl

Suji had no remorse. She would not run her suicides. If Nana was the one who overreacted, why should she be punished? So, the gym teacher had told her, she would not go to prom. 

Her best friend, Jieun, however, refused to got to the prom even if she did do her punishment. She felt great remorse, for what had Nana ever done to her? She went as far as asking her boyfriend, Mark, to got to the prom with Nana. He told her he would try to get her to go with him.

–––


Suji was so indignant about her punishment that she decided on a little plan. She would rig the votes for prom king and queen.

–––
Suji's boyfriend, Minho, was a little concerned when his girlfriend asked him if his uncle still owned a pig farm. "Well, yeah, babe," he said hesitantly, "But why do you need to know?"

"I have an idea."

–––


–––

The teasing continued. All of the girls involved with the incident had their senior prom privileges revoked. Sunye told them that they could have their privileges back if they ran 30 suicides. All of the girls did what was asked of them. They all felt bad. 

Except for one girl

Suji had no remorse. She would not run her suicides. If Nana was the one who overreacted, why should she be punished? So, the gym teacher had told her, she would not go to prom. 

Her best friend, Jieun, however, refused to got to the prom even if she did do her punishment. She felt great remorse, for what had Nana ever done to her? She went as far as asking her boyfriend, Mark, to got to the prom with Nana. He told her he would try to get her to go with him.

–––

Meanwhile, Nana began to notice odd things about herself. Such as, when she was angry, anything made of glass around her would shatter. She realized she could manipulate anything she wanted, could make it float of break. She read books on the topic of telekinesis and learned to master this power of hers. She never thought twice of it being ungodly. 

When Mark asked her to prom, Nana had no idea what to think. It was probably just another prank. She had gotten red paint that resembled blood all over her locker almost every day of the week, so of course she was wary. Instead of giving a response, she ran away.

When Nana asked her mother if she could go to prom that night, her mother had gone insane and started shouting at her. 

"Nana Jinah Im, you will not be going to that prom! Boys will try to take advantage of you and then the Lord will turn his back on you! Do you want that, Jinah? Do you?" 

"No, Mama." 

"Then go to your closet and pray!" 

"Yes, Mama."

And so she did. As she said the Lord's Prayer, she noticed a dark red fluid running down the crucifix on the door. She touched it. It was blood. Real blood. When she jerked back, more blood began to flow. She began to cry.

–––

When Mark persisted in asking Nana to the prom the next day, she finally gave in. When she told her mother that night that she would be going to prom, her mother told her to go back to her closet to pray. 

Nana would have none of that. 

She lifted her mother up with her powers and told her, "I'm going, Mama. You can't stop me."

She let her mother fall to the ground. 

"Jinah," her mother whispered, "the power. It's Satan. He's here, I should've killed you when I had the chance, Jinah, no, he's here, no–"

"MAMA!" Nana began to choke her mother with her telekinesis, and her mother was abruptly cut off. "Mama," she whispered, "I'm going to the prom." 

And that was that.

–––