Chapter 21

My Immortal

 

The following morning was spent in celebration. Amber's grandfather was another year older and another year wiser. Everyone was merry in each others company. The two had forgotten about their awkward situation, or at least made an effort towards that pretense.
 
It wasn't long before the kids had to return to the city. Amber was somewhat sad having to part with her favorite childhood places, but she adored her life in the city and could not wait to return. She shoved her luggage into the overheads bins above her seat before seating herself across from the boy.
 
"I still can't believe we have our own private compartment car. You don't seem like the typical rich type," Myungsoo stated still amazed by the fact that they were traveling so comfortably. 
 
"Well, it's not like I'm wealthy or anything. This is my grandparents' money. And I've never been the type to flaunt or spend lavishly anyways. It's rude. I just have enough to get by without worry," she replied with arched eyes. 
 
"There's still so much I don't know about you," he uttered still in awe.
 
"Likewise! Hmmm, how about we spend this time getting to know each other better!" Amber suggested excitedly.
 
Myungsoo delighted in this idea. Of course he did know a little bit about her just from the time spent living together, catching onto her likes and dislikes, and even little habits that she might be unaware of. But this was his chance to get to know the girl, openly sharing any information about herself that he might not know otherwise. However, that meant that he would have to do the same, allowing her to reach into the craters of his soul, touching what has been unscathed by others.
 
"All right. What would you like to know?" 
 
"Hmm, I don't really know," Amber burst into laughter. "I mean, there's still so much to know. I don't know where to start. Oh! But whatever is asked, must be answered honestly!"
 
"Okay, we'll seeing how you don't know what to ask, I'll start. What was your childhood like?" 
 
"Like any other kid, I suppose," Amber shrugged her shoulders while Myungsoo just raised a brow. "I mean, isn't everyone's childhood pretty generic, eating, sleeping, and playing?" 
 
"I guess." 
 
"Well, seeing how you seem to know so well, what was your childhood like, Mr. Immortal?" Amber asked with a slight attitude in her tone.
 
"Good." 
 
Myungsoon's expression contradicted his words. Amber frowned, "You're suppose to be honest."
 
He sighed, "Promise you won't judge me."
 
"Promise."
 
"You know I'm not exactly normal, so you must know that my childhood was far from it," he paused for a moment, questioning how much he was willing to share with her. Slumping his shoulders, he nervously began to fiddle with his fingers. "I've said this before. I've done some horrible things and my childhood was no exception." 
 
"I think you're being too hard on yourself." 
 
"I-, I killed my mother."
 
Amber was a bit taken back by his words. It was somewhat overwhelming and she didn't know how to react or what to say. Although she found herself remotely afraid of him, she could see the guilt in his eyes. She could see that there was more to it. But no matter how hard she tried to hide it, her voice slightly trembled, "What do you mean you killed your mother? I thought she died in a fire?" 
 
Myungsoo closed his eyes and shook his head. He looked down at the ground, the thought of Amber knowing what he was really capable of sickened him. He exhaled sharply, "My mother died when I turned seven. I don't know how the fire started, but my mother was asleep. I don't know what came over me, but I had no intentions of waking her. As the flames grew higher, I just stood and watched it engulf her, finding pleasure in her pain. It's sickening. I don't know how to describe what went on in my mind. It was like there was an internal battle, one side was telling me that I needed to do something, and the other side pulling me back, enjoying the thrill of it all. Back then I didn't know what I was, but now I do. And since then I've realized that each year on my birthday-"
 
"It's not your fault! You didn't know! You can't help who you are!" Amber exclaimed, interrupting the boy's solemn confession. 
 
He just stared in disbelief. He didn't understand why she was always defending him, making excuses for that side of him that he had absolutely loathed. Although it made no sense to him, he found a sense of relief in knowing that he didn't scare her away. Amber realized her outburst had brought about a sudden silence. Maybe changing the subject would break the tense air. 
 
"Oh! I have a good question!" Amber stated, awkwardly smiling at the boy. "So, how many girlfriends have you had?" 
 
It took a moment for Myungsoo to come out of his reverie. He stumbled in his mind as he was trying to make sense of the situation. Chuckling at the girl, he replied, "None." 
 
Amber pouted, "You're lying! I said that we had to be honest and I know for a fact that you've been with many girls!"
 
"Why are you so upset?" 
 
"Because you're suppose to tell the truth! And you're not!" 
 
Myungsoo laughed, "Let's not burst a vein. I am telling the truth. I've been with plenty of girls, there's no hiding that, but I've honestly never had a girlfriend."
 
"Oh," Amber's lips formed an 'o' as she glanced around the room, avoiding his eyes. She didn't know why she overreacted the way she did, but she was definitely embarrassed by her actions.
 
"My turn," He took a minute to ponder before his lips pulled into a devious smirk . "Are you a ?" 
 
TO BE CONTINUED