day one

this is not a love story

day one

the first thing daehyun learns about baekhyun is that he's always punctual. when daehyun opens the door, it's the warm smile on baekhyun's face daehyun first notices followed by his dark, purple hair.

"hi, i hope i'm not bothering you and all--" baekhyun slightly crosses his arms to his chest, an action resembling discomfort. "-- i just brought along with me some clothes just in case you think having a roommate is troublesome."

daehyun shakes his head, "you don't have to worry. you're actually helping me in a way because you know, i need to pay the rent." a chuckle escapes from the purple haired boy’s mouth, in which he covers with the back of his hand.

daehyun's apartment isn't really something, but not entirely nothing. the apartment only had two floors, the second being the master's being as baekhyun assumes. thus, leaving the first floor holding the living room, dining, kitchen and guest bathroom. It’s minimalistic design reflects daehyun's personality quite well, and the color scheme revolved around pigeon greys and baby powder white. the appliances are mostly black, like the LCD television screen mounted on the wall and the medium sized refrigerator adorned with multicolored magnets.

"i'll just have a short look, if you don't mind." he runs his fingers on the leather couch facing the television screen. obviously, the apartment is too big for a single person. baekhyun wonders how daehyun copes up with this--it must feel lonely at times.

"sure um--" daehyun peeps outside the door, only to find dead air and no bags dumped on the floor." baekhyun?"

"yeah?"

"where are your bags?"

baekhyun turns around, forgetting to tell daehyun that it's already being taken care of. "a friend of mine will come over in a while, he'll bring my bags for me." daehyun nods an 'ohh' to baekhyun, "should i keep the door open or--?"

"nah, he'll probably be late." the same smile forms as baekhyun sits on the couch. when daehyun closes the door, the other comments "you have a nice place, daehyun."

to be honest, it's not really daehyun's first time to hear someone complimenting about his home. daehyun takes pride on it (because half of the appliances he bought are from his savings) and cleans the place every so often. daehyun doesn't wait for baekhyun to ask him to sit beside him, because baekhyun obviously scooted to the side while daehyun approached him. "it must be nice to  have a place like this."

another thing daehyun learns about baekhyun is his eagerness to start conversations. daehyun likes to think that it's a good thing because one, he's a little awkward himself and two, he'd know whether or not baekhyun wants to keep talking.

"it gets lonely though," is daehyun's answer and he's looking at anywhere but his new room mate.

"don't you invite your friends?"

"well--let's just say that i'm not really the friendly type of person."

unlike daehyun, who's partly not a big fan of his skin being touched by another, he learns that baekhyun is pretty much the opposite. it startles him a little when baekhyun places his hand on top of daehyun's hand. "don't say that! i think you're a great person and i'd love to be your friend."

baekhyun sure knows how to melt daehyun's heart. but before daehyun could even say a reply, they hear the sound of the door ringing.

"ah, that must be my him." baekhyun stands and walks to the door. daehyun follows, somehow irritated by the constant buzzing of the bell. jeez, can't this guy hold just a bit? when baekhyun opens the door, they're greeted by a tall man carrying what seems to be baekhyun’s luggage. his body leaned towards the athletic side and seemed to have an angry look for a default face.

"thanks a lot, kris. enter right this way---" baekhyun motions for his friend to enter, in which kris simply sighs and walks in. though baekhyun did say that he only planned on bringing a "few" clothes with him, daehyun didn't know that two large trunks already meant "few" in baekhyun's vocabulary.

something tells daehyun that this man could me more than a friend to baekhyun – but then again, he could be wrong. kris dumps the trunks near the stair case and shifts his eyes to the homeowner. “is this the guy you told me?” kris points out, and here daehyun comes to a small conclusion that perhaps this man could be an elder brother or some sort.

but that doesn’t stop daehyun from feeling a bit uneasy. kris should at least show some respect or at least introduced himself after dirtying the floor daehyun had just mopped the other day. daehyun would have thrown a remark, but from the height difference and the potential impact of kris’ enormous fist on daehyun’s face alone makes daehyun choose the latter option. I should know better than dealing with giants.

“yeah that’s him – he’s daehyun. i met him at the cafe the other day.” baekhyun clings to kris’ side in a manner that tells daehyun these two could have known each other for a really really long time. “be nice to him, he’s my new roommate.” nice doesn’t even define the taller man’s face when he wavered off to a nonchalant ‘hey’ and a twisted smile plastered on his face. daehyun shrugs this off, “nice to meet you, kris.” and he comes to a second conclusion how he might not get along with baekhyun’s friend—or any of his friends, really.

“great you’re both friends now,” beams the smaller boy and then turns to kris, “you should probably go now. it’s half past three and yixing might be waiting for you at the quad.” 

"yeah, maybe i should." the sudden mood of kris evidently changes at the mention of someone else's name. the taller man cards through his hair, smoothing out the blond strands. "just remember to call me when you need help, okay?" but he doesn't receive a reply from the boy, instead baekhyun pushes kris to the door and a soft laugh. "okay, okay! bye kris!" 

baekhyun sure is something -- for a small person like him, he could shut the door right in front of a man who's at least two times taller than him (but that's just daehyun exaggerating things). they hear kris muffling something from outside, and baekhyun laughs again before turning to daehyun.

"sorry, he's not that ---- friendly."

"i could see that." like, really. "but he's really..." he hesitates from finishing his sentence, in which baekhyun tilts his head. "really what?"

daehyun turns about, facing the living room once again and leaving baekhyun wondering from behind. "nothing." is his answer, which makes baekhyun furrow his brows. 

they find themselves back on where they previously were before kris the giant showed up --- and perhaps it feels all too new to daehyun. seeing how this couch is perfectly made for two, daehyun couldn't help but smile to himself and wonder how twisted fate is for bringing baekhyun in his home. 

baekhyun seems to notice the other's actions, and he though they haven't established a proper bond yet, that doesn't stop him from poking the side of daehyun's cheek. "why are you smiling all of a sudden?" he scoots towards daehyun, "you're weird."

and it's probably baekhyun's first time to hear the other boy actually chuckling. daehyun turns to face the purple haired boy and answers the exact same thing he just said minutes ago.

"nothing."

 

------

 

oh my god this is a late post! so sorry to everyone ; n; it's all word vomit and awkward, awkward first meetings. ;; i swear i'll promise you guys a better chapter (consider their first interaction as a poor excuse of a lame chapter) ;; 

many thanks to everyone who subscribed to this story! it really means a lot to me knowing that people actually read the i write hahahaha. also, i read the comments! thanks for the support guys ;mmmm; im so touched and everything. hhuhuhu

next chapter will be less awkward for the two of them, i swear. and maybe a couple of more cameo roles from BTS and EXOBAP. :D thanks again guys!! xoxo