Little Things

Little Things

"Sorry, I can't accept your feelings."

Sato Shori has heard that sentence many times. Shori literally dragged himself home, but that was before he bumped into his best friend, Miyawaki Sakura. Sakura blinked when she saw her best friend, before realising that her best friend had been rejected again.

"Shori-kun, cheer up." Smiled Sakura.

Shori faked a smile, he knew that Sakura was trying her best to cheer him up. Suddenly, he felt his hand being pulled.

"Come on, I'll treat you ice cream." Smiled Sakura, knowing her best friend wouldn't be able to reject ice cream.

Shori followed his best friend and they went to the local ice cream shop. Sakura got a chocolate chip ice cream cone for Shori and a choco-mint one for herself. Shori took the cone from Sakura, the latter watched the former eat his ice cream.

The two best friends walked home together, they lived next door to each other.

"Sakura-chan! Arigato, for everything really." Said Shori, sincerely.

Sakura looked down, "It's nothing, we're best friends aren't we?"

Shori simply chuckled and ruffled Sakura's hair when they arrived at her house. Shori waved to his best friend before going into the house next door. Sakura blushed and quickly rushed into the house, up to her room.

Sakura threw her bag on her study table and threw her face in her pillow.

"Maybe, I fell for him again." Mumbled Sakura, quietly.

Sakura took the phone in room and called her best gal pal, Matsui Jurina, who was also her classmate. Sakura relayed the day's events to Jurina, who could only chuckle.

"I think I've fallen for him again." Mumbled Sakura.

Jurina frowned on the other line, although Sakura couldn't see that. "He'll notice you eventually, it's Shori-kun's fault for not noticing that there has always someone beside him."

"Can we walk to school together tomorrow?" Asked Sakura.

"I don't mind, but doesn't Shori-kun walk to school with you everyday?" Asked Jurina.

"He does, but I kind of need sometime away from him for a while." Said Sakura.

"Alright, meet me at my house at 7?" Asked Jurina.

"Sure thing." Nodded Sakura, before she hung up the phone.

Sakura set the phone back in it's place, with a photo hanging above her bed catching her attention. It was a photo of Shori and Sakura when they were younger. They were the flower boy and girl at one of their neighbours wedding about eight years ago. It was then that Sakura noticed that she the photos she had in her room and personal collection were mostly with Shori.

Sakura picked up her school bag and opened her bedroom window, which was just opposite of Shori's. Sakura got started on her homework, she occasionally glanced out the window looking at the opposite window.

Sakura yawned when her mother called her down for dinner. Sakura left her room and joined her family for dinner.

"Sakura, will you be alright during the next few days, while your father and I go back to Kagoshima and visit your grandparents?" Asked Sakura's mother.

Sakura nodded, her family was originally from Kagoshima. But her father was transferred to Tokyo for his job and she moved here when she was just three, where she met Shori.

"Sato-san has kindly offered to prepare lunch for you on Wednesday." Said her mother.

"I'll be fine, Jurina and Shori-kun are just nearby." Said Sakura.

After dinner, Sakura took a bath and opened her journal. Sakura wrote about her experience with Shori today, before reaching for something around her neck. It was a silver heart shaped locket, which Shori had given her as a gift for her fourteenth birthday two years ago. Sakura never told anyone other than Jurina, but Sakura had placed Shori's photo inside the locket. Sakura kept her journal and packed her school bag before burying her face in her pillow.


The next day...

Sakura got up early, and found her mother preparing breakfast.

"You're up early." Said her mother.

"I'm walking with Jurina today and I'm on duty this morning." Said Sakura.

Sakura's mother packed her daughter's lunch box into her bag as Sakura grabbed a sandwich on a plate. Sakura swallowed her sandwich and washed her hands before slipping on her shoes. Sakura picked up her bag and hugged her mother before she left the house.

Jurina lived three houses away from Sakura's. Jurina's parents passed away a few years ago and her elder sister, Matsui Rena, took care of her as her legal guardian. Rena worked in their school's infirmary as a doctor, but she usually went to school later than her sister. Sakura pressed the doorbell to the Matsui household and she was greeted by Rena.

"Ohayou, Sakura-chan! Jurina is wearing her shoes." Smiled Rena.

Sakura smiled and nodded, "Ohayou, Rena nee-san."

"Gomen! Gomen! Sorry to make you wait!" Said Jurina.

"Be careful!" Said Rena.

Jurina nodded and Rena closed the door.

"Shintaro told me that Shori got rejected again yesterday." Said Jurina.

Shintaro was Shori's best guy pal, and Jurina's proclaimed enemy. Although Shori preferred to proclaim them as a couple, seeing as they bickered like an old married couple all the time.

Sakura nodded, "I saw him on my way home. We got some ice cream together, and he ruffled my hair."

"And you fell for him again, due to that action." Said Jurina.

"If something like that is possible." Mumbled Sakura.

Jurina patted her shoulder, "Cheer up, if Shori-kun doesn't recognise your feelings then he's a fool."

Sakura and Jurina had already reached the school gate. The pair went to change their shoes.

"I'll meet you in class later." Said Jurina.

Sakura nodded and headed to the student council office. Jurina was headed to the school gym, as she was a member of the school's basketball team.

Sakura took a seat in the student council office and got to work sorting out the attendance files  when Shori came into the room. Sakura blinked and Shori took a seat opposite of her.

"Why didn't you wait for me this morning? I went to your house only for your oka-san to tell me that you were already on your way to school." Said Shori.

"I already made plans to walk with Jurina this morning." Said Sakura.

Sakura stacked the attendance files neatly on top of one another. Sakura picked up four of the files and Shori picked up the other four.

"We'll get going first sempai." Said Sakura, respectfully.

Their seniors nodded and the two students left the room. They needed to deliver the attendance files to the class.

"Are you coming to watch Matsui-san's game later?" Asked Shori.

Sakura nodded, "I promised that I be there, why?"

"Shintaro wants to go, but he doesn't want to go alone." Replied Shori.

Sakura had to raise her eyebrow, since Jurina and Shintaro argue so much.

"Well, I think Shintaro likes her. That's why he always teases her and they end up bickering like an old married couple." Said Shori, rolling his eyes.

Sakura nodded, she had heard of rumours that Shintaro actually liked Jurina. Eventually they came to Sakura's classroom, Shori's was just beside hers.

Shori took the file from Sakura's hands and he gave her the one that he was holding. "We'll just take our own class's."

Sakura nodded and Shori ruffled her hair again, which caused Sakura to pout and Shori to chuckle. Sakura entered the classroom and placed the attendance file on the teacher's table. Sakura took her seat next to the window.

"Stop making me fall for you even harder, Shori-kun." Thought Sakura.

Jurina came to class and took her seat next to Sakura.

"Maybe you should confess to him on valentine's day." Whispered Jurina, as if reading her best friend's mind.

Sakura stayed quiet, mentally noting that valentine's day was next week.

"You are coming to watch the game later right?" Asked Jurina?

Sakura nodded, "Pretty much everyone is, after the huge card the students gave to the basketball club the other day."

"Well, I'm kind of nervous." Admitted Jurina.

"Everything will be fine, just do your best." Said Sakura.


After school...

Shori and Shintaro waited for Sakura outside her class. Jurina had been excused an hour early, to prepare for the game. The three headed to their school gym where Sakura's broadcasting club senior, Shimazaki Haruka, had saved them quite good seats.

"Arigato Shimazaki-sempai!" Said Shori.

Haruka smiled, "It's nothing."

Sakura had a camera in her hands, ready to take pictures of the match. Shintaro was frowning whenever their team lost the ball or Jurina missed her shot. Sakura and Shori shared a look, before mentally deciding that Shintaro indeed liked Jurina. Sakura had to wonder if there was someone out there secretly cheering for her, like Shintaro was doing for Jurina.

Sakura smiled happily when their team won the match, Sakura smiled when Jurina gave them a thumbs up. The three waited for Jurina, before leaving the school.

"You were great out there!" Said Sakura.

"You left us hanging a couple of times, especially this guy." Said Shori, pointing to Shintaro.

Shintaro glared at him, while Shori simply chuckled. Jurina blushed slightly while Sakura simply took in the scene in front of her. Shintaro lived directly across the street from Jurina. Sakura and Shori walked home together.

"Oka-san would like you to stay at our house for the next few days since your parents are out of town." Said Shori.

Sakura blinked before remembering that she'll be alone at home for the next few days.

"Oka-san says that you can stay in the guest room." Said Shori.

"I'll talk to my parents later." Nodded Sakura.

Shori patted Sakura's head before heading into his house.

"Sato-san has offered you to stay at their place for the next few days and I accepted her offer. Pack your bag, your father and I will send it over before we leave." Said her mother.

Sakura could only nod as she walked up to her room. It was only when Sakura touched her locket that it dawned on her that she would be staying in the same house as Shori for the next few days. At least she would be back home before valentine's day on Monday. Sakura pulled out a suitcase and packed her clothes and other necessary things.


The next day...

Sakura hugged her parents before she went to school. Shori waited for her outside her house.

"We'll go home together today right?" Asked Shori?

"Hai, I have work with the broadcasting club this afternoon. I'll meet you after your soccer practice." Said Sakura.

Sakura walked slightly further away from Shori than she usually did, but Shori didn't notice much to her disappointment. Sakura changed her shoes and headed to class. Sakura spotted Jurina not far from her.

"How are you feeling?" Asked Jurina?

"He just makes me fall for him again and again." Said Sakura.

But unbeknownst to Sakura, Shori had overheard Jurina and Sakura. He felt a twinge of jealousy when Sakura said that. However, Shori just brushed it off.


After school...

Shori looked at the bleachers at the soccer field, hoping to spot Sakura. He saw her speaking with the soccer club's manager, Maeda Ami, who was the girlfriend of Shori's soccer club sempai Yamada Ryosuke.


Meanwhile with Sakura and Ami...

"You like Shori-kun, don't you?" Questioned Ami.

Sakura blushed before nodding shyly.

Ami smiled, "He speaks quite a lot about you."

Sakura blushed, "Honto?"

Ami nodded, "Sometimes he will talk about you whenever the members have a casual chat."

"But he doesn't like me in that way." Said Sakura, sadly.

Ami frowned, "Well, Shori-kun can be quite dense when it comes to this kind of stuff. But don't worry, the boys will do something to help him eventually."

Sakura remained quiet as she watched the soccer club practice. Ami could only shake her head at the younger girl before going out onto the field. Ami handed the boys their water bottles.

"You guys were great out there, practice is over." Announced Ami.

The boys nodded and went to shower. Ami and Sakura waited for Ryosuke and Shori respectively. Ryosuke grabbed Ami's hand and the two sempais bid their kouhais goodbye. Sakura and Shori walked back home.

"Is it alright if I grab my suitcase? I think'll just stay at home alone." Said Sakura.

Shori frowned, "But, you'll be alone."

"I'll be fine, I've stayed by myself before. But, I can still come over for dinner if you'd like." Said Sakura.

"My mom probably won't like it, but you are pretty stubborn." Said Shori.

Sakura frowned, she didn't know if that was supposed to be a compliment or an insult. Sakura apologised to Shori's parents and grabbed her bag and went home, but not before promising that she would come over for breakfast and dinner.

Sakura unpacked her suitcase and made a mental note to go to the supermarket after school to buy ingredients to make valentine chocolate.

Over the next few days, Miyawaki Sakura found that she was once again falling in love with Sato Shori. It was the little things that he did, like ruffling her hair and patting her head, that made a great impact on her feelings. But Shori would give Sakura mixed signals, sometimes he was her best friend and at other times he would feel jealous when she spoke with other guys, according to Shintaro and Jurina.


On valentine's day...

Sakura brought a pale yellow bag full of chocolates and gave every boy in her class a bag. Sakura gave one to Shintaro too, but Shintaro blushed when he found a pack of chocolates from Jurina. Shori didn't ask Sakura why she didn't give him any chocolates. Shori waited for Sakura outside her classroom after school. Sakura and Shori went to the soccer field where the the soccer club had practice.

After practice, Sakura handed out chocolates to the soccer club members, since they treated her like a younger sister.

"Arigato, Sakura-chan!" Smiled Arioka Daiki.

"You're such a good imouto!" Smiled Chinen Yuri.

"Shori-kun." Called Sakura, shyly.

Sakura pulled out a box of chocolates from her bag and held it in front of him, rather than one of the bags of chocolates which she had given to everybody else.

"Shori-kun, suki yo." Confessed Sakura, mustering up all of her courage.

Shori was surprised and shocked by the box of chocolates and the sudden confession, he had expected to be given a bag just like the others.

"Gomen, I can't accept them." Said Shori softly.

Sakura lowered her head, and Shori noticed that she was crying. Daiki rushed forward and gave her a reassuring hug, before Ami brought her away.

Yuri frowned and scolded Shori. "Baka! How did you not realise that Sakura-chan liked you?"

"You broke her heart so many times too!" Said Nakajima Yuto.

Shintaro and Jurina came in as Ryosuke had asked them to come.

"Sakura-chan has liked you ever since our last year in middle school. She tried to forget about her feelings for you by supporting you and cheering you up whenever your confession failed." Said Jurina.

"But all you did was give her mixed signals. Sakura-chan didn't want to risk affecting the friendship between the two of you, so she just kept quiet." Added Shintaro.

"Whenever she wanted to forget her feelings for you, you would always do something to make her fall for you again." Said Jurina.

"Sakura-chan decided to throw in her last bet by confessing to you on valentine's day." Said Shintaro.

"I'll go check on her." Said Jurina.

"She's in the bathroom with Ami." Said Ryosuke.

Shori stood there speechless, he never knew that Sakura had liked him. Shori was rather protective of her, he would be jealous if Sakura hung out with a guy other than his fellow soccer club sempais, Shintaro and himself. Shori himself didn't realise that he had caused Sakura so much pain.

"Ami and Jurina-chan are walking her home." Said Ryosuke, after checking his phone.

"Think about your feelings for her carefully before talking to her." Said Yuto.

His sempais left him and Shintaro alone. Shintaro took a seat next to his friend.

"Shori, do you like Sakura-chan?" Asked Shintaro, seriously.

"I don't know." Confessed Shori.

"Well, think about it carefully because Sakura-chan has many suitors out there. But she rejected all of them because she truly likes you." Said Ryosuke, coming into the room with a box in his hands.

"Sakura-chan made these for you, so just accept them." Said Ryosuke.

Shori took the box from Ryosuke's hands and stared at it. Shintaro pulled his friend out of the room and out of the school gate. Shori noted the the box was beautifully decorated and his name was written neatly on it. Shori walked home and stared at Sakura's house. Shori went up to his room and stared out his bedroom window. He noted that Sakura's curtains were drawn, he knew that he had hurt Sakura by rejecting her feelings. He didn't even accept the chocolates from her personally, which was the least he could do if he had rejected her.

Shori looked at the photos which he had taken with Sakura over the past few years. He noted that Sakura looked happy whenever they spent time together and he did too. He never had a fake smile on his face whenever he was with Sakura, partly because she could read him so easily and partly because he could never feel bored with her around. Shori noticed at purikura that they had taken a couple of months back before they started high school. Shori had his arms around Sakura's waist, catching her before she fell. Shori blushed remembering the incident before touching the locket around his neck. Shori had given Sakura an exact same one, he had placed her photo inside. He was unsure of the reason why he did so in the first place. Had he liked Sakura as well, but he just didn't realise it?

Shori heard something breaking from the opposite room. He realised that Sakura must have dropped a glass item. Shori climbed through the window since their houses were so near to each other. He saw her picking up pieces of glass on the floor which caused her hands to bleed. He quickly grabbed her hands, as her mother came up with a broom.

"Shori-kun, I didn't know you came over." Said Sakura's mother.

"I heard a crash, so I came to take a look. Sorry for intruding." Apologised Shori.

"You're always welcomed her Shori-kun!" Smiled Sakura's mother.

Sakura's mother swept all of the glass fragments into a bunch of newspapers before leaving the room. Shori handed Sakura her bedroom slippers and picked up the first aid kit that Sakura kept behind her door. Shori carefully cleaned the cuts and wrapped the bandages around the cuts on her hands. Sakura stared at her best friend, it was the first time that Shori had done something like this for her. It was usually the opposite, Shori would be the one getting hurt while Sakura put on the bandages.

"This should do the trick." Said Shori.

Sakura nodded, "Arigato, Shori-kun."

"I should go, my mother will be looking for me." Said Shori.

Sakura drew her curtains and watched as Shori climbed through the window, back to in bedroom. Sakura glanced at her hands as she kept the first aid kit.

"I think I just fell for him again." Mumbled Sakura.

Shori returned to his own room. He sat on his bed looking at the box of chocolates that Sakura had given him. He decided to open it, he popped a piece into his mouth. The chocolate was slightly melted but Shori could taste the sincerity behind them. Shori tapped his locket and glanced at Sakura's room and smiled. He was finally clear about his feelings for Sakura.


The next morning...

Shori woke up and waited for Sakura outside her house before she could avoid him. Shori tapped her locket, before opening his.

"You've always been there for me, but I never really thanked you for it." Started Shori.

Shori showed Sakura his locket which contained her picture inside.

Shori hugged her close and placed a kiss on her forehead, "Suki yo, Sakura."

Sakura was surprised by Shori's sudden touch and kiss, but she smiled. "Honto?"

Shori smiled and nodded, "Honto, I won't play with your feelings. You're much too precious to me."

Shori intertwined his hands with hers, which caused Sakura to blush. Sakura was glad that she decided to throw in her final bet and confessed to Shori. And Shori was too, it took a confession to realise that there was always someone waiting beside him. If Sakura didn't confess, he probably wouldn't even realise that Sakura was even there waiting for him.