Blissful Coincidence

Pleasant Coincidence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What was the actual reason? The eyes or the smile? What really made me go to him and say “hello”? Perhaps it was the odd feeling welling up in my chest to meet him, to show him I existed.

“A Caramel Macchiato.” – I smiled,  just as I did every day. Did he ever notice that I ordered the one and the same thing every day? Did it actually make an impression on him that I always drank my caramel macchiato with more cream? This time I did not order more caramel. I felt lucky today, so I left myself carried along. Would he remember?

“A Caramel Macchiato.” – His velvety voice was so soothing, I could listen to it for hours. He smiled mildly, passing me the carton cup of coffee. He always smiled.

I threw a last glimpse at the single red rose, with its fresh crimson bloom, dipped in a crystal vase. I took a seat at a table near the bar and secretly opened the lid of the cup, peeping inside. The delicate aroma of the fluid inside made the corners of my mouth curl upwards. Caramel macchiato with more cream, just as I loved it. Did he remember or was it only a coincidence? I didn’t have the willingness to but I looked back at him. I searched for the familiar boyish grin, the simple uniform with a nametag, which had “Chen” neatly written on it. The same smile, which he flashed to me, now was directed to another customer. His eyes were fixed elsewhere, he was enunciating someone else’s order. It  made me feel somehow wistful. It probably was just a happy coincidence.

In fact, I hadn’t uttered any greeting to him. I guess I was too shy or rather cowardly. I wanted him to know that I existed but I was afraid of being remembered. I did not know how to proceed, I was at bay. I did not want to be faceless and did not want to intrude either.

While I was staring blankly at the window, my ears catched a congenial and delightful melody. So smooth and gentle, it reminded me of his voice. At the thought I smiled once again. I loved music that was soothing, that made me feel like a different person, like everything was possible. Along the song there was a hushed singing, more like humming. It was not me, so maybe it was…

“Tell me when will you be mine, tell me quando quando quando. We can share a love divine, please don’t ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter