A Short Story

I'll Be Your Listener | Advice Column
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This entry is dedicated to those who give their everything when it comes to friendships but only get used and stabbed in the back in return. This is the story of a girl I know. Let's call her S because that's her first initial.

 

S and I did not know each other well back then. We were merely classmates and only talked to each other at certain points of time. She had her own clique and I had mine. But even though we were not that close, I knew her character well enough. She was one of those cheerful, bubbly girls who laugh over the smallest jokes. I don't know what others thought of her but to me, she was one of the most friendly person in my class at that point of time. She was a social butterfly and people found it really easy to talk to her since she was a very open-minded kind of girl. It was a habit of mine to observe people (P.S. I'm not a stalker) and eventually, I found myself observing her because there was just something not quite right about her. As the weeks go by, it became more distinctive to me. Her smile; it was often fake and forced. But then I noticed something else, her smiles were only fake when she was with her clique. I wanted to confront her and ask her what was wrong but then again, I wasn't close to her at all so who was I to barge into her problems?

But then one day, during recess, I went back to class early to finish up my incomplete homework and the moment I entered the classroom, I saw S at her seat, with her head hung low. She had a book underneath her desk but I knew that she was crying. She was still unaware of my presence so I slowly approached her and the moment she saw me, she wiped away her tears and pretended as though nothing had happened; as though she hadn't been crying. But the dried tears of her cheeks gave it all away. Without saying a word to her, I sat next to her and stared at her for a few second before pulling her into a hug.

And that was all it took to make her let out everything. I can't remember her exact words but they were somewhere along these lines.

"I don't feel belonged in my clique. Heck, I can't even refer to it as 'my' clique. I'm always left out of conversations and when I do try to get myself involved, I'd be asked to 'go away'. Maybe to them it was a joke but I felt so hurt. I'm always the last to know about secrets. Sometimes, I don't even know what's going on. When they're upset, they come to me and I cheer them up so why is it that whenever I'm upset, no one bothers to ask me what's wrong? When they need help, I'm always there for them so why is it that whenever I need help, they say that they're busy or that they have something on or even worse; they don't even reply me and pretend as though I hadn't said anything in the first place! And you know what? Just minutes ago, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter