Other Side

Only You - Changmin

The warm sun basked down warming everything up that it touched. Shuffling your feet down the street, your friends and you decided to get together for lunch since you haven’t seen each other in around a year. They were all busy and so were you, but when you saw all of them sitting outside of a cute cafe, all of the memories came back.

"Annyeong ________-ssi!" Your friends called as they stood up and you took your seat with them as it felt like you never left each other.

"We saw you were in a relationship" One of your best girl friends, Megan sang as you blushed and nodded.

"With who?!" Another friend, Jaekyu asked as you smiled and sipped your water as you let their imaginations and curiosity grow.

"Shim Changmin" You said finally with a smile on your face as one of your friends’ face turned sour. "What? What’s wrong?" You asked as all of your friends turned to her.

"Well…" Tammy, your friend, said, "He isn’t…. how should I put this… he isn’t the nicest." She said carefully as you tilted your head in confusion.

"What do you mean?" You asked becoming increasingly curious.

"We went to high school together, he was in my homeroom." She starts off as your food arrives as all of you eat while listening to her story. "He always knocked people’s books down and tripped them just to get a laugh out of himself. He was a real jerk."

"Well maybe he changed" You defended him as you took another bite of your food as your fourth friend shook her head. "I’m guessing you know him too?"

"Well, yes. As all of you know I am a radio show host." Your other friend Taeshi said as she sipped her water. "Just last week, we interviewed TVXQ and JYJ. Changmin of course was there and he kept teasing s, but I know that everyone does that from time to time. But what he was doing just seemed… well… mean." She said as you looked at them with wide eyes.

"Are you sure? This really doesn’t seem like the guy that I know at all." You sat back in denial as you scanned all of their faces.

"So are you sure that you haven’t been called short, too skinny, stick figure, goggles, window face, invisa-girl or blank brain?" Tammy asked you shook your head furiously.

"All I have been called is sweetheart, baby, and honey." You said as Megan and Jaekyu smiled.

"I wished my boyfriend would call me those things." Jaekyu said quietly as you looked over at her sadly.

A buzzing came from your phone as you looked down as you saw a text from Changmin.

Hey, where are you? I’ve been looking for you everywhere - C

Just having some lunch with my friends, do you want to join us?

I just wanted to see you while we were on break. - C

Ok if you want to come over we are at the Cozy Cafe.

Thanks, Babe - C

Looking back up at your friends, you smiled at them. “Do you mind if you all meet Changmin how I see him?”

"Sure!" Jaekyu nodded happily with Megan

"Why not" Tammi shrugged her shoulders.

"I could give him a second chance I guess." Taeshi said as she didn’t look that happy but you were ecstatic.

Within a few minutes Changmin walked up to the street as he saw you sitting with your friends.

”______!” He called out your name as you turned around and waved at him. He trotted over to you and your group of friends as he pulled up a chair. “Hello ladies” He bowed to everyone as Taeshi smirked.

"This is Megan, Jaekyu, Tammi and Taeshi" You introduced your friends as most of them smiled and greeted him pleasantly.

"Nice to see you again Tammi. Did you enjoy the frog in your locker on the last day?" He asked her as you looked at him and hit his chest with your hand.

"It was a nice surprise, thanks for putting the mud in my backpack to match too." She snarled as you looked at him a little horrified.

"Oh how are you Taeshi? Do you need me to talk a little louder or did you forget to turn up your volume on your headphones again?" He giggled as she pretended to look at her phone.

"I have to go. Nice to see you all again. I will keep in touch." Taeshi got up and waved at you all as she walked away. You watched her leave as you took a deep breath.

"Sorry, I don’t know why he is acting this way. Sorry." You apologized as his arm rested on the back of your chair.

"I must be going as well. Nice to see you again _______." Tammi said as she walked off too.

Jaekyu and Megan both left soon after, leaving you alone with Changmin as empty plates were left on the table.

"Your friends are nice." He said as he stole some of your water as you looked at him.

"Yeah but you weren’t. I thought you were a nice guy but you just ended up being one of those bad boys." You stood up as you grabbed your coat and purse as he sat there dumbfounded.

Rising to his feet he quickly grabbed your hand and spun you around.

"I’m not a bad boy, and I am not like that to you." He said as his eyes quickly searched your face for a hint for him

"But my friends, they have been my friends for years and you weren’t nice to them. How do I know that you won’t turn on me when we spend more and more time together." Your eyes began to brim with tears as he held your hand tighter.

"I won’t! I promise! I love you" He said as you shook your head.

"Are you sure that love will stop you when I wear something ugly or when you are really mad?" Ripping your hand from his you ran away quickly as you couldn’t hold your tears in anymore.

He watched you move into the distance as he took a deep breath and walked the opposite direction heading to his practice that he couldn’t miss.

Wondering back to your apartment, you opened the door the mostly dark apartment welcomed you as you ran your fingers through your hair as you wiped away your tears that streamed down your face. Lifting yourself up onto the island your hands gripped the edge as you thought of everything and how it was all a lie.

The front door opened as you looked over in that direction just to see Changmin walk in.

"What do you want?" You said with a cracking voice from all of your crying.

"To fix what I did wrong." He said simply as he took a few steps towards you.

"Why were you so mean to everyone? Which one is the real you?" You asked as you looked at him as the soft light caught your tear as it ran down your cheek.

"I like teasing but sometimes my comments go a little too far. I don’t mean to hurt them." He said as he eventually stood in front of you.

"Then how are you so nice to me?" You looked up at him as his head tilted gently.

"I loved you" He said with his voice cracking as his emotions began to take over. A silence slid between you as you both heard each other breath and sniff as you both tried to control your tears.

"W-What can I do to make you forgive me and show you that I am the guy that you see?" He asked as his hands gently sat on top of yours.

"Everyone that you were mean to, give them a heartfelt apology and mean it, then change your ways so that how you treat me is how you treat everyone." You said seriously.

"I don’t think I can do that." He said with a slight smile in his eyes.

"Why not?" You sat upright as he smirked at you.

"You deserve to be treated better than everyone else to me." He said as his fingers slowly laced his fingers with his.

"Then you have to still treat everyone better than you were. Promise?" You looked at him as he nodded pulling you into a hug as you were hesitant to hug him back, yet you did.

"Don’t forget to say sorry to everyone you were mean to though." You reminded him as he nodded.

"I’ll do it tomorrow, but first I have to make it up to you." He said gently kissing your cheek then softly moving to your lips as you both spent the night in each others arms as he made up his mistakes to you.