A new beginning....

A new beginning....

 

The year 2020

Yongguk stood in front of his music equipment and took a last look at his music studio. He had 10 minutes left before his manager will came with his fellow members to pick him up. With a long sigh Yongguk waved his studio goodbye which accompanied him many years and countless sleepless nights. He already said his last farewell to his family as he didn’t want them to come with him. It was too hard for his mum and he didn’t want her to suffer. He wanted to do this step alone so even the media didn’t get any information about his leaving. He just wanted to say goodbye to s who were, after such a long time, like brothers to him.

Yongguk was the first one who would start his Military service. It was about time as he turned 30 this year, so he needed to go. He would do it with proud as his father and grandfather were in the military. Regarding to that he didn’t want to get any special VIP treatment. He wanted to do full service as an active soldier and he hoped he would go to the Marines like his father and grandfather. The only thing he would miss was his music. With music and art he would feel free and could express his inner thoughts without any troubles. That was his only concern but he shook his head with a smile and thought to himself ‘Im a fighter, I will survive this like everything.’

 Yongguk lift his bag over his shoulder and left the studio. Outside the studio s were already waiting for him. Himchan the sensitive mother-like guy, who was the same age as Yongguk had already tears filling up his eyes. He wouldn’t serve the military due to a severe injury from the past. He would start his service as a public service worker.   

Zelo, the maknae of the group, who became a very handsome and manly man, stood there with a lost and unsure gaze like in the beginning of their debut times. The others, Youngjae, Daehyun, Jongup stared sorrowful to the floor.

Yongguk gave Himchan a strong hug and comforted him. Embarrassed with his soft side Himchan smiled a little and said: “Well, even though I will not become an active soldier, I will visit you and take care for you like always. Arasso?” Yongguk showed his gummy smile and nodded to show his approval. The leader walked to the youngest one who were already over 1,90 tall (6,23 ft)and gave him a comfort smile. Zelo looked at him with puppy eyes and gulped “Hyung, … I …. “ His eyes filled up with tears and the maknae was unable to speak. He looked away embarrassed of his tears. Yongguk was really touched of Zelos reaction and tried to comfort him “Zelo-ah, kenchana. Hyung will be alright, please don’t be so sad about me. I’m sure you all will be doing great. I’m 100 per cent sure of that. You are the best what happened to me. I will be always thankful for you guys. With you I experienced so many good things and gained so much in my life. I just hope you will go on like this even when I am away for the next 2 years.” He finished his speech shyly and moved his hand awkwardly over his new shaved head. With his little speech the members totally lost it and started to cry and everyone began to hug the leader and at the end they stood there in a group hug and didn’t care anymore about the tears which were just unstoppable falling.

The manager stood awkwardly on the side and secretly wiped his tears away.

Yongguk tried to calm down the heartbreaking situation “Ah guys please don’t make it so hard for me.” With a deep sigh he put his baseball cap back to his almost bald head and with his famous gummy smile he took a last look at his beloved brothers and left these guys who were part of his life for more than over 10 years now, for good.

With a taxi he was on his way to the military base. He dwelled on his thoughts and remembered all the things he experienced with his group. He smiled over the memory of their first win on a music program. The memories of his hard trainee life came up and also the friendship with Himchan came to his mind. Himchan who had a totally different personality became a strong support in his life. He will be always thankful for him and the others.

Yongguk also thought about the negative aspects about the life of an Idol. Sometimes he just missed the fact to have a normal life, to have some private time or just the ability to go out without any disguise. He couldn’t image how it was to have a normal date life and go out with a girl and do normal couple things. He wasn’t a monk; he did have relationships of course. But his relationships didn’t last long. He was only able to have relationships with girls from the music business and the personality of the girls didn’t quite fit with his ideal. So after many unsuccessful attempts to have a relationship he finally lost his hope.

Yongguk reached his destination but he had still some time left. To calm his feelings about his leave and his farewells with everybody he decided to go to a book store nearby the base. Books were also a great shelter for him to escape to another reality. With this thought he wandered through the floors and had to admit that he somehow felt excited about the military. It was a new experience and he couldn’t wait to start this new step in his life. He smiled to himself and delved among the books. He picked one book and headed to the cash point.

With a loud ‘BANG’ his book and other books (very large number of books) were spread on the floor. The person who were tripped over Yongguk bowed several times and kneeled down to pick up the books “Ah chesuhamnida, chesuhamnida….I’m so sorry.. “  
Yongguk was picking up the books and said always very polite “Aniyo, it’s alright. Don’t worry about that. Are you alright?”
He stood up and saw a shy non Asian woman who shyly smiled and with a perfect Korean she said “I’m really sorry, I was so immersed in the books I totally lost my reality.” She glanced to the book in Yongguks hand and said with a bright smile “Oh, that’s a really good book. It was really touching. I totally recommend that to you.” And again she smiled brightly at him.

Yongguk stood there and starred at this smiling face and at the time inside he cursed at it. He cursed at this person because he knew this warm feeling in his chest and he couldn’t believe that it happened at this point of his life.
Now? Why now? Now, where he needs to go for 2 years. Yongguk who didn’t cry easily had the great urge to break down on this spot right now.

He wanted to know more about this woman with this shy but bright smile. This woman with this great interest in books and with her big eyes hiding after some nerdy glasses stole his heart in the blink of an eye.

But the time was ticking.

The young woman didn’t get any reaction from this tall, handsome man and so she said “Well, ehm, I’m better get going, I’m sorry about that accident.” She bowed and was about to turn around and leave as Yongguk came finally back to reality and said “Excuse me Miss,” he sighed and then ventured the step “I’m starting my military service today and this is a bit confusing for me.” The woman formed a surprised “Oh” with her lips. Yongguk shyly continued “I know this might be strange for you but would you like to drink a last coffee with me.” Her first surprised look changed into a caring and then again smiling face. “I would be honored.” She couldn’t refuse him as she felt this warm feeling in her heart.

She knew that the military service in South Korea was a big deal and always a very difficult path for every man in Korea. She knew he would feel stressed and confused and somehow she wanted to comfort him.

They went to the café near the bookstore and Yongguk chose a place at the corner as he was afraid he would get some attention. He was still an Idol and he didn’t want to get any attention right now. He wanted to have some private time with this woman. He wanted to be lost in this special feeling.

With a heartbreaking smile he said “I have 30 minutes left.”
“I see.” The woman slowly nodded.
 They silently looked at each other and somehow they both understood this situation.

And then the woman finally started “I’m Mara, nice to meet you. I’m 35 years old. Single. I live in Korea for about 5 years now. I’m an author that’s why I’m crazy about books. I’m doing also some documentaries about other cultures for a better understanding and to strengthen the respect for each other. I know this is naïve but that’s my thinking.  I’m European as you can see. I’ve lived and worked in China and Japan before. I love to travel. I brought my Mum with me because I couldn’t live without her. So yeah basically that’s it.”

She flashed her smile at him and Yongguk boldy said just one thing “Will you wait for me?” It was too late to take these words back and honestly he didn’t want it to take it back.

He awkwardly laughed and looked at her. She looked back at him and smiled. “Well, I think I have an important question to ask before I can answer that.”
“Ok, ask me anything.” He prepared himself for a bold question.
With an innocent look she said “What’s your name?”
Yongguk burst into laughing and said with his deep voice. “I didn’t hear this question for a long time. That’s so refreshing. I’m Bang Yongguk, 30 years old and in about 20 minutes…. I will be an active soldier. Nice to meet you” and with these words he was hiding his broken heart under a warm smile.

He didn’t want to tell her that he was an Idol. It would change everything. She would get to know it eventually. It was fascinating that she didn’t know who he was but somehow it was a relief.

They talked for the rest of the remaining time and Yongguk couldn’t believe that she was 5 years older than him. She was playful, bright and at the same time really matured. In this short time he knew she was the one.

As he looked at the clock he wanted to scream. He couldn’t believe that his fate was like this. Just like that they would separate. ‘I just found her’ was his only thought. How could he survive these 2 years in the military? The early thoughts of excitement to be in the military faded away like that and he suddenly felt lonely again.

They didn’t speak a word when they walked to the military base.

“Will you wait for me?” He asked again.
With a sad look he anxiously waited for her respond.
“I will.” With these words she grabbed his hands and gave him a comforting smile.
His relieved gummy smile didn’t fail to make her heart skip a beat.

Even though their fate was cruel and unfair like that they both were sure they would see each other again. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, that's it... I know it's not so good but I tried my best :)  I hope some of you liked it. 
I hope I will write more stories from now on. I have some unfinished stories left but I have no idea how to finish them. Well, we will see :)
SARANGHAEEEEEE