i. prologue

Once Upon An Autumn

Soojung runs towards the front door and calls, "Wait! Sir!" The latter has his head turning and looks at her, huffing, she continues, "Your phone!" as she shakes it in her hand. The latter blinks and shakes his head, probably cursing himself inside and out, as he walks towards Soojung. She smiles as she passes back the phone towards the rightful owner and reminds him to come back again.

Jinri says, "Got his number?" as she walks back inside the cafe. Soojung chuckles and shakes her head as she stands at her respective place, behind the counter. The twenty-three year old works as a cashier and also a barista at her best friend's cafe. Jinri continues, "But, he does look familiar, don't you think?"

Soojung looks at Jinri and shrugs her shoulders, "He does? I don't know, he doesn't seem familiar to me." Jinri nods her head and walks back inside the kitchen to check on the breads in the oven. Soojung welcomes another customer and says, "Soojung here, how may I serve you?" with a smile.

The lady replies her question with a smile, Soojung nods her head and says, "Please be seated, we'll call for you."

The door bell rings once again and Soojung greets, "Welcome to...," but her greeting stops halfway as she sees the person standing at the entrance. She turns her head and focuses on the earlier order and calls, "Miss Hayul!" The lady stands up and takes her order, thanking her and walks away. The person walks towards the counter, Soojung cannot do anything but to oblige and take his order. She inhales and exhales deeply, "Hello, Soojung here. How may I serve you?" with a crooked smile.

The latter smiles back, "You know my favourite."

Soojung looks at him and shakes her head, "No, I do not know your favourite. It is our first time seeing each other, sir. Now, I am asking you again, how may I serve you?"

"Okay, Soojung and for the record, my name is Jongin. My favourite is americano."

Soojung flashes a small smile, "Thank you. Please be seated, we'll call for you."

Jongin walks away and takes a seat at the corner of the cafe while Soojung mends to his order, brewing his cup of americano. Jinri walks out of the kitchen and sees Jongin at the corner, she smiles and greets, "Hey, Jongin! What brings you-" Jinri then looks away from him and turns to Soojung, she scoots closer to her and whispers, "I'm sorry... I forgot to tell you he returned."

Soojung looks at Jinri and nods her head, "It's okay, I'm fine. We're over after all," and sets the cup of americano on the counter and calls for Jongin.

Jongin stands up and takes it, he looks at Soojung and says, "I'm waiting."

Soojung replies, "Don't, full-shift."

"I will still wait, Soojung."

Soojung shakes her head and mumbles, "Suit yourself," as she walks away to tend to another customer. Jinri looks at Jongin and shakes her head however Jongin does not realise it and takes his seat with his cup of americano, his eyes following Soojung's every movement.

As the night caves in, Soojung takes off her apron, she exhales a sigh as he sees Jongin asleep, with his head on the table. Jinri pats her shoulder and says, "Don't be too hard on him, will you? He must have a good reason for it."

Soojung looks at Jinri and nods her head, replying, "I know but what is that good reason till he can't even tell me?"

Jinri shrugs her shoulders, "I'm closing, take him home, can you?"

Soojung smiles and nods her head, "Yeah, sure," as she walks towards Jongin. She pokes his cheeks, "Jongin-ah, wake up." She tries harder, "Jongin-ah, wake up. We're closing down." Jongin stirs and gets up, rubbing his eyes. He looks around then at Soojung, Soojung continues, "Come on, get up," motioning him to follow her. Jongin blinks his eyes but gets up anyway, looking at Jinri, hoping for an answer but only gets a shrug.

Soojung says, "You walk pretty slow for a guy, Jongin. Come on, it's hard walking in the dark."

Jongin looks at her, "But you're afraid of the dark."

"That's why I said it's hard. Come on, it won't be night forever. I still have to work tomorrow."

Jinri shakes her head, "Technically no, I'll be away tomorrow and the day after tomorrow so you get a break, Jjung."

Soojung looks at Jinri and says, "Thanks, Jin." Jongin is already standing beside her, she looks at him and flashes a smile, her heart racing just like before. She opens the door and walks out of the cafe with Jongin tagging along. Jongin looks at her and asks, "Are you taking me home?"

Soojung answers, "Yeah, I am taking you home," as she leads the way.

Jongin follows her, the lights illuminating from the street lamps shine on Soojung and Jongin smiles to himself, he says, "I missed you."

Soojung ignores his sentence and asks, "How have you been? How is life?"

Jongin repeats himself, "I missed you."

This time, Soojung does not evades him and instead she asks, "Why did you leave?"

Jongin exhales a sigh and looks at her, his hands in his pocket. Soojung notices, she smiles to herself but doesn't let it show. Afraid that Jongin might catch her, hands in the pocket was a habit of his whenever he felt bad, whenever he was sorry; apologetic. Soojung continues, "Why did you leave without telling?"

Jongin looks at her and asks, "May I?"

"May you what?"

Jongin grabs her hand, "I'm sorry. I am sorry I did not tell you, I couldn't tell you. I didn't want to see you cry."

Soojung pries her hand away and replies, "What you did made me cry even worse, Jongin. Maybe I wouldn't have cried if you told me. I found out from my old boyfriend, can you imagine how much that hurts, Jongin? What if I left and told your old girlfriend but not you? Wouldn't you hate me?"

"Do you hate me?"

Soojung stays quiet, she is not sure of what she feels. Her steps quicken, making Jongin fastens his steps too. Jongin repeats, "Do you? Do you hate me?"

Soojung enters an apartment's building entrance, she shakes her head, "I loved you too much to know hate and I hate that I have loved you so."

Jongin rephrases his question, "Do you love me still?"

Soojung presses the elevator button and the bell dings, the door slides open and the both of them enter, facing each other. Soojung looks at Jongin, her eyes focusing on his. She misses those dark orbs, the pointy nose that crinkles whenever their forehead meets and those lips that was always stained with the bitter taste of coffee and cigarette mixed.

Jongin looks at her too, her luscious hair covering the crook of her neck where he misses, her thin, pink lips that always tasted like mango and cherries and her eyes that always twinkled whenever she smiled. Jongin looks at her still, not blinking, the corner of his lips curving upwards, he smiles, "I miss you."

The bell dings and the rustling of the door sliding makes them look away, Soojung walks out first and she looks over her shoulder to steal a glance of Jongin. Jongin notices and ignores it, he repeats his sentence, "I miss you."

Soojung fumbles for her keys in her bag, she takes it out and unlocks her door. She looks at Jongin, "Welcome home, idiot."