Finale

Beautiful Melody

Music.

The only thing that made him smile, a word that composed his world. He loved playing many instruments but he was best in guitar, everyone who hear him play or sing would fall in love with him because he made every bad mood into a happy one.

The only one who despised him was his father, he couldn't understand why he hated such a beautiful thing, it was too beautiful to hate, it can turn a noise to a peaceful melody but his father didn't see that, he only saw it as a noise in the house.

His father's hatred didn't stop him for being the person he wanted to be until that night happened, it was supposed to be another night for him, it was supposed to be another night for him to finish the new set of lyrics he was writing since two weeks ago. 

He came home an hour before midnight and saw everything ruined, his room, his guitar, his lyric sheets were destroyed and was scattered into pieces. He tried desperately to fix anything but it was too damaged. 

He cried.

He cried not because of his room ruined, his guitar destroyed, he cried because the lyrics he was doing was torn into pieces, the lyrics that contained every loving words for his late grandmother, who was the only person who loved him for who he was, not for what title he possessed. 

His father was the world's best businessman while his mother was a retired model, the two were both too busy to attend to their children that his late grandmother was the only one who listened to his cries and complains. He had an older brother who chose to make a name for himself and left without saying goodbye and now that he was gone, their parents were left with no choice but to give the business to him because he was the second heir to the family.

His cries were not heard for both his parents were gone, either on a business trip or too busy to hear him. He ran, ran to a place he knew was peaceful and the people there were always making time to listen to him, like his late grandmother.

The place I was talking about is my house, we weren't rich like them but we have the money to buy a suitable place and go to a good school. We live two blocks away from them, that's how I met him.

He came knocking on the door and shouting to be let in, my mother, suddenly becoming worried immediately opened the door and hugged him with soothing words coming out of her lips, I comforted him when he was able to seat down.

"It's ruined!" He screamed, crying.

I looked at him with sad eyes, I knew what he was talking about, the song for his late grandmother was ruined. 

"Stop crying," My mother says, rubbing his back. "You can make another one, it may not be as good as the last one but at least the thought is still there."

He looked at her and smiled. My mother can really be a good councilor some times.

I nodded my head and went to get some pen and paper and gave it to him. He thanked me and started writing. A few minutes later, he stopped writing and threw the paper away.

"I can't! There's nothing coming to my mind!"

"You don't have to write it now," My mom answered. "You need to rest your mind, sleep and think of nothing but good thoughts."

He nodded his head and kissed her on the cheeks, after doing so, he pulled me to my room and jumped to my bed. I looked at him confusingly and followed him to my bed.

"This really ." He said, looking at the ceiling.

"Mom's right, Lay." I answered. "You need to take off your mind about what happened tonight and sleep."

He looked at me. "How can I sleep when it all happened like 5 minutes ago? I worked hard for that, Minah,"

"I know and i'm sure Nana would be proud of you if she knew your writing her a song for her birthday."

"I just wanted everything to be perfect,"

I smiled and cupped his cheeks. "Everything is perfect,"

Lay is a musician, a loving grandson and my best friend.

 

Two years since that happened, two years since he left. He didn't actually explain why he had to but he promised he'll be back. 

And so, I waited.

I waited until last year. 

I got an email saying that he's coming back and he's going to stay here now. I rejoiced since my best friend is finally coming back, he's finally staying here and we could reach for our dreams together.

But those dreams, may be impossible to reach now. 

When we met, he was still happy as a kid, he was happy that we'll be together again. He told stories of the place he had gone and gave some souvenir for me and my mother, saying that not once did we left his mind.

"What did you do?" I then asked.

"Took care of some family business."

"I thought you didn't want to have that title?"

"I don't," He answered, "But you know I have no choice but to follow father."

"You know, since you're turning 18 next year, you can do whatever you want since you're an adult already."

"Like Taemin hyung?" He asked. "No way."

"Why not?"

"It's too hard to explain."

"You have my ears," I encouraged, smiling at him.

"Minah, no." He covered my face and pushed me away from him.

"Meanie!" I said, pulling my tongue out.

"Minah," He warned, 

"Lay," I said, imitating his choice of tune. "I'm hungry." 

I smiled and pulled him to the nearest food chain when suddenly we heard someone playing the guitar. A smile formed from my lips and I pulled my best friend there even though he protests and listen to the song the man is playing.

"Minah, let's go." He insists, pulling me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking confused. "What's wrong with watching the man sing and play the guitar?"

"Nothing, okay?" He then grabbed me by my shoulder. "I thought you were hungry?"

"I am. But I want to listen to him play first." I then looked at him, smiling widely. " why don't you play the guitar? It'll be fun!"

"Minah, no!" He screamed, pulling me away from the crowd.

He pulled me towards a secluded area and looked everywhere as if he's hiding from someone. I glared at him for pulling me and crossed my arms and waited for him to say anything.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I don't play the guitar anymore."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"I don't sing, play any instruments anymore, okay?"

"But why?!" 

"It's something I can't tell you yet."

I frowned and moved away from him. He tried talking to me but my energy was lost once he said it. I just... I just couldn't understand why. We promised that we're going to be musicians when we grow up and now with him saying that he doesn't play or sing is... 

A heartbreaker.

A few weeks had passed and still, I wasn't talking to him. He would always come to my house as often as he could but I would always shut the door in his face. If you haven't noticed yet, I now live alone, I support myself and I'm fine with it.

My mother died a few weeks after Lay left. I was shocked at first because I didn't know what caused her death, the only time I knew was when she was on her death bed. She told me everything. How she got cancer and the reason why she didn't told me about this.

Of course I cried, I didn't leave my room after she died. It was too painful to know that the only person you ever love die.


>> .Present. <<

 

We are now in our senior year and I decided to talk to him. He is still my best friend I love him too much to ignore.

Hold up, rewind. I LOVE HIM?

In a best friend way, right? It's not the romantic way, right?

"Yo!" I heard him shout, 

I turned around to see him running towards me with a guitar case on his back,  

You're must be wondering why,

Well, before I talked to him and mend our friendship, I had one condition. 

And that is why my best friend is having a trouble carrying a guitar case on his back, I didn't made him do it because I want to see him suffer because it's heavy with a guitar inside, I made him do it because I know that the musician who he really is has't died yet, it's just buried inside and one day, when I know he and I are ready, we'll continue with our dream.

"Immersion? Really?" I heard him complain. "Why do we have to do it?"

"Don't complain." I lectured. "Why can't you see that this immersion is good?"

"Good for who?"

"For us and the kids we are visiting," I sat on a chair in front of the class. Lay followed in tow. "This is actually good, you know. We'll be able to meet and befriend new people, don't you want that?"

"I'm fine with you." 

I blushed and turned away. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

I nod my head. "Yeah."

"Why did you turn around?" He asked, patting my shoulder. "Is something bothering you?"

I shook my head. "Nothing," I then stopped and turned to him. "What if I wasn't there anymore? What if I move away?"

A sudden flash of hurt in his eyes appeared as he stares at me. "You're not leaving, right?"

"I'm just asking."

"Then I'll follow you. You're my best friend Minah, no one is going to be good enough to replace you." I forced a smile on my face as I tap his shoulder. 

I wasn't planning on telling him about what my aunt's order. I just couldn't handle seeing the hurt in his eyes. My aunt's a devil. Once she heard my mother died, she immediately told my grandmother to give my mom's share to her but since my grandmother didn't agree, she left and lived in London.

Now that my grandmother is dead too, she has risen from her evil layer and looked for me because my grandmother was kind enough to give me all the shares my mother would have gotten.

And since she's the only person that lives, who is related to me, she knew that she had to get me and make her my guardian. I declined her offer nicely but she forced me to move in with her and by the end of the semester, I'm going to move to London.

The devil's deadline is coming to an end as the semester ends in 2 weeks. There's just my exam and an immersion we'll have to do before summer break. 

One thing I really hate about moving away is that, once I have settled in there she's going to force me to attend a Law school and there wouldn't be music allowed in her so called mansion.

Also, did I ever mention that she's a gold digger? She married an old British man who was filthy rich and let him die of old age.  

Raised by the devil,  isn't she? 

"Minah!" I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Lay scream my name.

I turned to him and stared. "What?"

"Are you even listening to me? I said it's lunch!"

I slowly nodded my head and walked with him to the cafeteria. We ate at a cheap restaurant before heading to our friends at the gym, which was the meeting place before doing our immersion.

Our professor decided we would visit a foster home and make the kids happy even though it's only for a day. I was personally happy since I could make someone smile, especially when the one I'm talking to are kids. 

"Minah," our professor called, I turned to him with Lay beside me.

"Yes?"

"What are you going to do for the presentation?"

"I looked at my best friend and saw him faking a smile at our professor. I breathed, thought about it for a second before nodding my head. 

I smiled at our professor and patted Lay's shoulder. "We're doing a duet."

"What?" Lay glared at me.

"Really?" The professor smiled widely. "What song are you doing, then?"

I was about to answer when Lay cut in. "Wait a minute, no one told me that we'll be singing!"

I glared at him. "It's for the children, Lay. Show some enthusiasm!"

He glared back. "Did you forget about what I said before?"

I smacked him on the head. "There's no turning back now, Sir already told everyone about our duet." I then went to look at our professor but he was gone.

He groaned. "Fine, but this is the last time I'm doing this!"

I smiled at him before leaving to go to the washroom. I sighed once I saw myself in the mirror. His smile, his laugh.

Has an effect on me.

"Alright, let's get started!" One of our classmates shouted, letting me know that it's time to leave the bathroom.

I stood beside Lay and waited for our turn of our presentation. While waiting though, I glanced his way and saw him staring at me. I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"Is there something on my face?" I then asked.

I swear, I saw him blush before looking away. I shrugged it off and decided to stand beside Kibum, who was one of the guys who are in charge of the games. I listened to his and Sasha, a foreign student conversation before being dragged away by non other than Lay.

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

"You're my partner for the paper dance!"

"What?!" I asked, horrified. "You know I don't dance!"

He rolled his eyes. "You don't have to dance seriously, you could just sway!"

This time, it's me who rolled the eyes. "Why are you even making me do this?"

"Because you made me do a duet."

I glared at him and nodded my head. "Fair enough,"

He smiled and took out a newspaper and we played. We had fun, I admit. But Lay and I became competitive until there came a time when lay suddenly carried me bridal style and I had no choice but to tighten my grip on his neck because he is only standing in one leg.

There's only one thing that was running on my mind.

My heart, please stop beating!

"Minah?" I was snapped out of my thought when he called out.

I was leaning on his chest the whole time and I haven't even noticed it!  I laughed awkwardly and took a few steps back swaying silently with the music. I tried very, very hard to ignore everyone's at me but I couldn't take it anymore when Lay's eyes were looking straight at me.

"What?" I asked, acting innocent.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Y-yeah." I stuttered, gulping once, "Let's finish this!"

He shook his head laughing and reached out his hand. "You know, we're the only one who hasn't stepped on the paper, c'mon!"

I laughed and took his hand and we stepped on the paper, well he stepped on the paper while he carried me again. This time though, my heart didn't beat as fast as before, I just realized how good he smelled.

"Don't smell me too much, you might fall for me."

I scoffed. "As if! You're my best friend,"

I heard him breath, "Yeah, best friend."

"What's wrong with that?" I looked at him and got down from his hold. "Is there something bothering you?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing."

I flashed a smile at him and went to seat on the available chair. He followed in tow without talking to me and just watched as the little kids play with the others.

Without realizing, the professor called for our attention, telling us that it's time for us to sing. I smiled, pulled my best friend to the center and introduced ourselves. Everyone cheered ad waited eagerly for us to start.

"We'll be singing 'HEAVEN' by Bryan Adams." I smiled and started strumming the guitar. "Our favorite song,"

"Oh - thinkin' about all our younger years
There was only you and me
We were young and wild and free

Now nothin' can take you away from me
We've been down that road before
But that's over now
You keep me comin' back for more

And baby, you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see

We're in heaven

Oh - once in your life you find someone
Who will turn your world around
Bring you up when you're feelin' down

Yeah - nothin' could change what you mean to me
Oh there's lots that I could say
But just hold me now
Cause our love will light the way

And baby, you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven

I've been waitin' for so long
For somethin' to arrive
For love to come along

Now our dreams are comin' true
Through the good times and the bad
Yeah - I'll be standin' there by you

And baby, you're all that I want
When you're lyin' here in my arms
I'm findin' it hard to believe
We're in heaven

And love is all that I need
And I found it there in your heart
It isn't too hard to see
We're in heaven, heaven, oooh

You're all that I want
You're all that I need

We're in heaven
We're in heaven
We're in heaven"

 

 

I didn't realize that I was staring at him throughout the whole song. He sounded so happy, he looked so happy and that it made me more sad.

I am sad not because of the song, I'm sad because I'm already leaving tonight, excellent, isn't it?

And what's more worse than leaving your best friend? It's the feeling you tried to deny.

I was sure, 

I am in love with my best friend.

We're done singing when I noticed a man-my aunt's driver waiting for me. I sigh as I stood up and told him to my professor, he nodded his head and let me go. I didn't look back at my best friend because I might change my mind.

He'll understand, right?

"Minah?" I heard his voice that made my body stop. I wanted to turn around and tell him everything but  I didn't, I just walked with my things and went inside the car, looking away from him. "Where are you going?"

"Why are you leaving? Is your stomach okay? Are you feeling sick? Can I come with you? Hey! HEY!" I saw him walking towards the driver. "Open the door, will you? My best friend is leaving without me!"

The driver ignored him and went inside the car while Lay kept on trying to open the door, I didn't want to see the hurt in his eyes so I just covered mine, but it didn't work. I still looked and saw him crying, crying like me.

And without rehearsing anything, we both said "I love you,"