Chapter 3

Melting

The next morning when she arrived at work, Yoojin’s boss called her into the small office.

“Park Yoojin, I have a mission for you. You know how we’ve been advertising more lately and redecorating somewhat?”

“Yes...” Yoojin waited, not sure what to expect.

“Well, we’re in need of some photos, but, being the manager of a coffee shop, I don’t have any connections in the photography arena. So I made an appointment for 2:00 today at a firm that will connect us with a photographer.”

“Yes?”

Her boss laughed. “Right! You’re going to be the coffee shop’s representative in our search for a photographer. I’m busy interviewing the new job applicants, and I thought you’d be perfect for the job.”

Yoojin nodded. It sounded like fun, and she hadn’t even known that such companies existed. She might even learn something new.

“Alright!” She agreed, smiling.

“Excellent! Here’s the address. Be there by 2:00. And don’t worry about coming back to work after that. Your shift ends at 3:30, so try to get someone else to cover for you, but if no one else will, I can make time.”

 

Five minutes later, Yoojin regretted her decision to ask Sungyeol to cover for her.

“Sungyeol, are you able to cover my shift from 2:00 to 3:30? Manager-nim wants me to be somewhere else.”

“Sure, I’m able to, but why should I?”

“Please? As a favor?”

“Wae?”

Yoojin became frustrated. “Fine, tell me what you want.”

“I want tomorrow off.”

“So you're telling me that in order for you to cover my 90-minute shift, I need to cover your shift all day tomorrow?”

“Pretty much. Yeah, that would be nice.” Sungyeol shrugged.

Yoojin didn’t want to give Sungyeol so much power over her, but she remembered how tired manager-nim had looked, and how much work he had to do. She didn’t want to give him an even busier afternoon.

“Arasseo. Lee Sungyeol, you’re really...”

Sungyeol nodded. “But now I have tomorrow off.”

 

When 1:45 finally rolled around, Yoojin took a taxi to the address on the slip of paper her boss had given her, since she wasn’t quite sure where it was and didn’t want to get lost. It was a modern office building with glass windows and natural design elements. In the foyer, Yoojin checked the directory and saw that the office she was going to was on the third floor.

After letting the secretary at the front desk know that she had arrived for her consultation, Yoojin sat down to wait. Scanning the magazines on the tale in front of her, she didn’t see anything that interested her enough to read at that time. Instead, she stood up and peered out the window. She could see the cars moving below, the businessmen crossing the street, the trees lining the sidewalk. She noticed a cafe across the street and thought momentarily that she could smell the food, but was rewarded only with the scent of carpet cleaner and freshly printed paper.

“Are you my client?” A male voice from behind Yoojin asked.

Yoojin whirled around, not having realized that anyone was standing there, came face to face with none other than Myungsoo, Sungyeol’s somber friend. Her eyes widened before she could stop herself. Myungsoo must have recognized her too, she thought, because his eyes did the same thing.

“I’m Kim Myungsoo.” He extended his hand, which Yoojin shook.

“I’m Park Yoojin,” she replied, bowing.

“Please follow me to my office.” Myungsoo took off down the corridor, Yoojin struggling to keep up.

He turned into a small room at the end of the hall. It was attractive but impersonal, she noticed. The windows were fairly large, but the shades were halfway drawn, blocking out the sunlight. A potted plant sat atop the windowsill, giving off the impression that it was more for appearances than that it really belonged. Yoojin perched on her chair like the plant in the window as Myungsoo took a seat behind his desk. She shivered. It was a sticky, humid day, so she was wearing summer clothing. But the office was frigid. She suddenly felt the urge to yawn.

Myungsoo regarded her briefly, and something about his expression- or lack thereof- struck her as odd until a new idea occurred to her.

“Kim Myungsoo-ssi,” she said, “you must have been expecting Lee Sungyeol to come instead of me.”

“Why?” He stared at her.

“Because you are both friends, and he works at the same coffee shop.”

“How do you know that Sungyeol and I are friends?” He asked bluntly.

Yoojin could feel herself blushing even though it would have been perfectly obvious to anyone who had seen Myungsoo and Sungyeol that they were acquainted with each other.

“Ah, that-”

“Yes, I expected Sungyeol to come, if not the manager, who made the appointment,” Myungsoo said. “But that doesn’t affect anything. Let’s get started, shall we?”

Myungsoo removed a new file from his drawer and picked up his ballpoint pen. He looked at Yoojin again. He had been completely taken by surprise when he saw her in the waiting room, and he did not like it one bit. He had immediately recognized her as Sungyeol’s coworker from the coffee shop, although why he remembered her, he did not know. Perhaps because it had only been the day before. He tapped his pen against his mouth thoughtfully before opening the folder and looking back to the young woman sitting across from him.

“Are you familiar with how our company’s consultations work?”

“No, not at all.” Yoojin shook her head.

“Today is the preliminary interview. Once I have an idea of what you’re looking for, I’ll compile a list of independent photographers who might fit with your needs. Then we’ll meet again and you’ll look over the list and samples of the photogrpahers’ work. After you select a photographer, I can provide you with their contact and business information. The initial step usually takes about a week, but in some cases, it could take longer.”

Myungsoo felt strange conducting business with the coffee shop girl. Not only was it a surprise, but he felt slightly awkward being in his workplace with her there as well, and he didn’t know why.

“So, to begin, what physical use do you need photos for?”

“The shop is redecorating as well as advertising more. We need photos to put up on the walls as well as photos to attract more customers to the shop.”

“What is the theme of the redecorating?”

“It’s kind of hard to describe without showing you.”

“Park Yoojin-ssi, I have been to the coffee shop in question many times,” said Myungsoo.

“Ah, yes, well, the feeling is similar to that of a clean-cut urban home. The lines are straight with a hint of abstract; the materials are primarily pine, glass, and metal; and the aura is somewhat smooth and cool while maintaining the warmth of a coffee shop. We borrowed many ideas from Swedish furniture design elements.”

Myungsoo scribbled furiously onto his note sheet. “And the advertisements? How are you appealing to customers? What methods and ideas are you using?”

“We’re planning to use flyers and posters.” Yoojin carefully recited what her boss had told her that morning. “Our target audience is college students, but we already serve many young couples.”

“So you’re combining the warmth of coffee with the cool atmosphere of today’s university campuses and the modern style of Seoul?” Myungsoo asked, still writing.

“Yes, exactly.” Yoojin was surprised at how easily Myungsoo had put her thoughts into words, and she was relieved to not have to attempt a further explanation.

Myungsoo made the last period with a small show of finality before capping his pen.

“That’s all I need from you today. Combined with the form your boss filled out when he made the appointment, I will use the information you just gave me to create the list of photographers. I will telephone your boss when it is completed.”

Myungsoo rose, and Yoojin followed suit.

“Thank you for coming in today.” He bowed.

“Thank you.” She smiled, which seemed to take a certain amount of courage in the given environment, particularly because Myungsoo did not return her smile, nor did he react to it.

“I’ll give Sungyeol your greeting,” she offered.

“That’s alright.” Myungsoo’s eyes stared at her blankly, even at the mention of his friend.

As Yoojin turned to leave, she caught sight of a thermos of ice water on Myungsoo’s desk. It was sensible, given the temperature that day, but somehow, it seemed unnecessary inside his already-cold office. When she left the room, she saw that the thermostat had been set to sixty-four degrees Fahrenheit.

 

The next day, Myungsoo was in a particularly sour mood. He went to have an early lunch with Sungyeol at the coffee shop, but when he arrived there, the shop was empty except for the same girl behind the counter as had visited his office the day before.

Yoojin looked up at the sound of the door opening and, upon seeing Myungsoo, paled somewhat. Myungsoo glanced around, then slowly approached the counter, his eyes focused intently upon Yoojin.

“Where is Sungyeol?” Myungsoo reached the counter without blinking.

Yoojin set down the cloth she had been using to polish the glass dessert case.

“I’m sorry, but Sungyeol isn’t here today.”

“But he always works this day.”

“Not today.”

Myungsoo did not frown, but he blinked once and leaned forward slightly, maintaining eye contact with Yoojin. Sungyeol hadn’t said anything that morning about having the day off, although he had still been fast asleep when Myungsoo left for work.

“Why not?”

Yoojin’s eyebrows traveled up a bit as a result of Myungsoo’s interrogation. “He did me a favor yesterday, and in return I am covering his shift today.”

Myungsoo snorted. Rather, it sounded like a snort, but Yoojin could not be sure, as Myungsoo’s mouth remained in a straight line.

“That’s ridiculous. Sungyeol doesn’t do favors.”

Yoojin almost laughed. Myungsoo seemed to know Sungyeol quite well.

“He does when there’s something in it for him,” she said. “Can I get you something?”

Myungsoo shook his head, but he continued to stand there, turning his head to have a look at the coffee shop, examining everything, including the ceiling and floor. Yoojin did not mind this too much since Myungsoo was the only customer, but then again, Myungsoo wasn’t really a customer after declining to order food or drink.

“What are you looking at?” Yoojin craned her neck, trying to see what he was seeing.

“Just looking with a consultant’s eye.” He shrugged, gave one last look at the far wall, and turned to leave without another word.

“Have a nice day!” Yoojin called, but she was answered only with the door swinging shut.

Yoojin sighed, wondering if all of Lee Sungyeol’s friends were like that. Two of a kind, she thought once more.

 

Once outside the coffee shop, Myungsoo glanced at his wristwatch. He had a long lunch break today, so there was still about an hour before he needed to be back at the office. He decided, for lack of other destinations, to pay a visit to Dongwoo’s family octopus restaurant. He didn’t particularly feel like eating octopus that day, but it had been a while since his last visit, plus he wouldn’t mind a brief chat with Dongwoo.

Dongwoo was running the cash register when Myungsoo walked through the door. He didn’t see Myungsoo at first as he was busy counting cash and rubbing his tired eyes.

“Hyung.” Myungsoo said pointedly, standing in the entrance.

Dongwoo looked up, his mouth hanging open. He didn’t react for a few seconds and appeared dazed, so Myungsoo was unsure as to whether he was yawning or not.

“Ah, Myungsoo! Sorry, I didn’t see you there.” Dongwoo yawned, for real this time.

Myungsoo’s nose gave the slightest wrinkle. “Hyung, you shouldn’t touch your face when counting money. Don’t you know how many germs there could be?”

“Eh, of course I’ll wash my hands before interacting with food and customers! What brings you here?”

“Have you seen Sungyeol?”

Myungsoo came closer to the counter, pressing up against the wood and glancing around. He could smell things cooking in the kitchen. It was lunchtime and although there were several customers eating at the tables, no new customers were coming in.

“Yeah, I saw him this morning. He was still eating breakfast with Jongie when I left. Why?”

“Oh, nothing.” Myungsoo didn’t know why he’d asked, but now he had verified Park Yoojin’s story, so there was not much of a question as to Sungyeol’s absence from the coffee shop.

“Is that Myungsoo?” Myungsoo and Dongwoo could hear Dongwoo’s mother calling from the kitchen.

She came out, wiping her hands on her apron. “Myungsoo, how nice to see you! How have you been?”

Myungsoo pushed off of the counter and bowed deeply, coming up to the kind smile of Dongwoo’s mother.

“I have been well, eomeoni. I hope business has been good for you lately too.” He answered unblinkingly. Dongwoo, however, had closed his eyes and was propping his head up with his elbow, which rested on the cash register.

“Ah, our Myungsoo is looking well!” She exclaimed, placing a hand on his arm. Myungsoo did not react. “Aigoo, I guess you’re really one of those cold urban men now, right?” She laughed her contagious laugh, stopping when she saw Dongwoo.

“Dongwoo, wake up! Your shift isn’t over. Aigoo, my son...goodbye, Myungsoo!” She gave a wave and walked back into the kitchen, her ponytail swaying as she went.

“Hyung.”

Dongwoo opened an eye. “Yeah?”

“I have to go. Stay awake.”

“Mmm. Bye, Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo checked his watch and wove through the crowded afternoon sidewalks in the direction of the nearest subway station. A group of college girls giggled as he walked past, and he ignored them, staring at the collar of the businessman in front of him with blank eyes.

 

Meanwhile, Sungyeol was enjoying his day off. He had begun his day by bickering with Sungjong at breakfast. Then, when Sungjong had gone to class, he had watched part of the latest KBS drama. He never minded seeing Park Shin Hye act. Or model. Luckily, he did not have any classes that day, so he could stay at home all day if it suited him.

Sungyeol looked up at the sudden sound of a sliding key card and the apartment door unlocking and opening. He quickly turned the volume down, glancing back at the screen as Park Shin Hye mouthed her lines. When he looked back to the entryway, he saw Hoya removing his shoes at the door.

“Hoya, you came back early?”

Hoya’s head snapped up. He had not expected anyone to be home. “Oh, they said I could go home. There aren’t any more dance classes this afternoon, so they don’t need me to run the front office.”

“I was thinking of going out,” Sungyeol said, his eyes flickering back to the television screen.

Hoya walked into the living room and flopped down, joining Sungyeol on the couch. Beads of sweat speckled his forehead. His eyes shut, and Sungyeol regarded him curiously.

“It’s too damn hot out there,” Hoya managed, panting slightly. “You don’t want to go out in that weather. I had to walk back from the studio. It’s not good.”

Sungyeol shrugged. “I have the day off anyway, so I don’t have to go out.”

Hoya opened his eyes. “I thought you worked today.”

“No, I struck a deal with my co-worker. I covered for her the other day in exchange for a day off. She’s working my shift today.”

Hoya nodded. Hip-hop music began blaring from his pocket.

“Hold on,” Hoya removed his phone and answered it. “Hello? Oh, Dongwoo-hyung.”

Sungyeol, bored, began fiddling with a handheld fan that was lying on the coffee table. He tried turning it on, feeling a bit hot, but the batteries seemed to be broken. He settled back onto the couch, tapping his fingers distractedy on the armrest and listening to Hoya’s phone conversation.

“No, I got off early. It’s really hot now, so you’re lucky you’re coming home later. No, Sungyeol’s here, too. Oh, Myungsoo visited you? Myungsoo never visits me at the studio. He only visits Sungyeol. Ha, yeah, of course he visits you, hyung; you just told me he did...”

Sungyeol frowned, tapping his fingers more rapidly. Hoya’s conversation reminded him of something. Myungsoo! Sungyeol had forgotten to tell Myungsoo that he had the day off. Myungsoo had probably gone to the coffee shop. Sungyeol felt slightly regretful. Myungsoo did not like annoyances, and wasted lunch breaks were definitely classified as annoyances to him. Sungyeol slumped down on the couch cushions.

“Okay, see you tonight, hyung.” Hoya hung up the phone. He leaned his head back. “Ah- my joints are so sore today.”

“Did you go to the sauna?” Sungyeol asked.

“No way. I don’t like the heat. Especially not in this weather.” Hoya winced as he put his feet up on the coffee table.

Hoya glanced at Sungyeol. “So what did you do today?”

“Nothing, really. Park Shin Hye’s new drama was on.”

Hoya nodded but winced at the soreness in his neck. “I want to just sleep, but it’s so damn hot.”

There was air conditioning in the apartment, but it was not very strong and was insufficient for cooling off seven boys in the heat of the summer.

“I thought Sunggyu hyung fixed the fan?” Sungyeol nudged the handheld fan with his foot while gesturing to the larger plastic electric fan in the corner.

“No, he tried, but he didn’t know how. Dongwoo hyung or Woohyun can probably fix it tonight.”

Sungyeol nodded, his thoughts drifting away from the heat in an effort to cool down. It was hot outside, but Sungyeol was getting bored in the apartment. He had found the drama to be unamusing, and if he wanted to see Park Shin Hye, he could just as well go for a walk and pass one of her advertisements. So he bid Hoya goodbye, ignored Hoya’s warnings about the weather, and set out into the sunny afternoon.

It was unbearably hot. Sungyeol wandered around for a bit. He passed three pictures of Park Shin Hye, one of Shin Min Ah, and four of Lee Hyori. He bought a popsicle from a roadside stand, relishing its coldness and watchin a fountain before heading to the coffee shop. He wasn’t about to give up his day off, but he also couldn’t pass up the opportuntiy to see Yoojin’s reaction if he showed up and then left. He just wanted to annoy her a bit.

 

When Yoojin got home that evening, she headed straight for the shower without eating dinner. She felt sticky and dirty from the hot city day, so she showered before changing into pajamas and attempting to study. But her growling stomach continued to remind her that she had not eaten dinner yet, so she put her notes aside and searched the cabinets for something to eat. She settled on ramyeon and was just stirring it in the pot on the stove when her roommate walked in the door.

“Oh, Ji Eun!”

Ji Eun shut and locked the door before setting down her bag and joining Yoojin in the kitchen.

“You look tired,” Yoojin said, handing her friend a bowl well in advance of the ramyun.

“A little. I’m not so bad, actually-”

Suddenly, Yoojin’s phone began to ring, the catchy chorus of a boy group’s song filling the kitchen.

“Hold on.” Yoojin somehow managed to balance the spoon on the pot, turn down the heat, and find her phone under the stack of notes on the table in time to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Park Yoojin-ssi?”

The flat, distant voice sounded slightly familiar.

“Yes?”

“This is Kim Myungsoo.”

Oh. Yoojin’s expression must have changed, because Ji Eun looked at her curiously from where she sat at the table.

“Oh, hello! Have you been well?”

“Yes, I’ve processed your request for photographers and compiled the list,” Myungsoo said

“Already?”

“Yes.”

“That was quick,” Yoojin mused.

“Is there a problem?”

“No! No.” Yoojin made a slight face, remembering Myungsoo’s nature.

“I just need to make a follow-up appointment with you. Is there a time next week that you can stop by my office?”

After making the follow-up appointment and thanking Myungsoo (to which he had replied that it was his job), Yoojin hung up and began serving the ramyeon into bowls.

“Well,” Ji Eun said as they began to slurp their noodles, “who was that?”

Yoojin shook her head. “One of the coldest men I have ever met.”

“Is he handsome?”

“Of course,” Yoojin chuckled dryly. “And cold. He’s also cold.”

 

“Hyung, are you done yet?” Sungjong stood over Myungsoo, who put his phone back in his pocket.

“Mm.” Myungsoo nodded. “Why?”

“Woohyun and Dongwoo hyungs are trying to fix the fan, so Sungyeol hyung and I are trying to fix something for everyone to eat, and Sungyeol said you would know what do do with the rice.”

“Where’s Hoya?” Myunsoo asked.

“He said his joints are really hurting him, so he went to rest.”

“Where’s Sunggyu hyung?”

“He’s bossing around Dongwoo and Woohyun in the living room.”

Sungjong said it rather loudly, and Kim Sunggyu’s keen ears somehow picked up a small fragment of the conversation taking place in Myungsoo and Dongwoo’s room.

“Yah, Lee Sungjong!” Sunggyu called. “Who’s bossy? Care to repeat that?”

“Not really!” Sungjong yelled back. “Myungsoo, come on.” He stamped his feet.

“Fine,” Myungsoo said, following Sungjong past the electric fan convention and into the now crowded kitchen.

Sungyeol immediately whirled around from the stove to face Myungsoo.

“Myungsoo-yah, sorry for not telling you I wouldn’t be there today.”

Myungsoo shrugged. “It’s not like there’s anything to be done now.”

“Hyung, do the rice cooker!” Sungjong commanded.

Myungsoo bent over the machine, fixing his sight on the buttons and adjusting the time.

“Done,” he said. “You guys didn’t know how to set the rice cooker?”

“Why would I need to know how to set it when I have six hyungs to do it for me?” Sungjong replied.

Myungsoo gave him a withering look and turned expectantly to Sungyeol.

“Oh, that-” Sungyeol rubbed the back of his neck. “I thought I knew how, but it didn’t turn out well last time, and I didn’t want to get scolded by Sunggyu hyung again-”

“Yah, Lee Sungyeol!” Sunggyu yelled from the other room. He started to get up to enter the kitchen but was suddenly interrupted.

“Hyung, we got it!” Woohyun cried, high-fiving Dongwoo.

Another round of high-fives could be heard in the living room.

As the seven boys sat down to eat, Sungyeol noticed that Myungsoo was considerably terser than usual and attributed it to their missed lunch meeting. He knew that Myungsoo hated occurrences like that.

“Myungsoo-yah, I really forgot-”

Myungsoo shrugged. “It doesn’t matter now. Yoojin-ssi told me about your deal, so I just looked around the shop a bit.”

“Ah, Yoojin told you?” Sungyeol nodded and took some more rice.

“Who’s Yoojin?” Woohyun asked, leaning forward.

“A girl?” Dongwoo echoed.

Everyone’s ears perked up slightly. They never really talked about girls. No one felt very warm towards anyone. To hear Myungsoo so much as mention a girl’s name was monumental.

“Yeah, she’s just a co-worker who I got to cover my shift today,” Sungyeol said. “Myungsoo, aren’t you working with her for the new advertising and decorating plan for the coffee shop?”

“Mm,” Myungsoo answered, chewing thoughtfully.

Sunggyu looked over. “Our L has never mentioned a girl before, has he?”

Dongwoo began to giggle, much to Myungsoo’s annoyance.

“Congratulations, Myungsoo-yah,” said Hoya, who had taken some ineffective pain medication and wasn’t understanding nor saying much.

Myungsoo’s usual blank expression formed into a frown.

“No, she’s really just my co-worker,” Sungyeol said.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. “We’ll see.”

Dongwoo’s giggles began to die down, and he yawned noticeably.

Woohyun set down his chopsticks and turned to Sunggyu, who occupied the seat next to him. “Hyung, don’t we have a report at work tomorrow?”

Sunggyu began to answer, but his words turned to coughs. He quickly downed his glass of water before attempting to speak again.

“Yeah, so make sure to dress for it.”

“You two dress for it every day; I don’t see how tomorrow is any different,” Sungyeol said, straight-faced.

Sungjong laughed silently. Sunggyu’s eyes narrowed more than usual.

“Yah!”