Chapter 5

Closer, Faster

A neon green sign screamed "Downtown" welcoming them to the newly opened club. The sun had slowly disappeared in the horizon, while the two young adults had made their way down a series of small streets to finally end up here. The walk had been completely quiet besides the small comments on, which direction would be the easiest to take.

The club seemed quite small for the amount of people already lined up at the entrance, and the facade wouldn't had become uglier, if the owners had decided to paint it over in any other color than the mustard yellow the building probably already had been in, when it had been bought.

Kibum wasn't new to the club scene - far from it. He had found it relaxing to go out dancing with his friends and just let loose. Alcohol had been rushing through his veins; convincing him actions, he usually wouldn't consider, suddenly seemed fun. It had been okay to be himself, and more than once had he met the man of his dreams just to dump him the next day awoken from his drunken state with a splitting headache.

But as he stood besides Jonghyun, the flirt he had met at the airport a few days back, watching the door man ask, "Can I see you ID, please?" every person he let in, it finally dawned on him. While it had been perfectly legal to go clubbing in London, he was still too young to do so in America.

"I know I agreed to go clubbing with you and your sister, but I can't," he muttered slowly a bit ashamed that he had not realized this earlier. If it had been with someone he knew better, he would probably have laughed it off, but while he didn't want to admit it, he somehow wanted to impress the brunette for every stupid reason ever known to mankind.

"Why? Did I do something wrong?" arching his eyebrow slowly Kibum gawked confused at the other. How he even came to the conclusion that it might be his fault was beyond him.

"No, it's just that I'm too young to go clubbing in America. I had just forgotten all about it," chewing his lower lip nervously the blonde adult glanced up at Jonghyun through his fringe.  

A small smirk played on the other's lips; it was so obvious he was trying to hold a remark back, but of course it would had been easier to ask an alligator nicely not to eat you, than expecting the already impossible, "You forgot how old you were?"

"No, I'm quite aware of, how old I am," he snickered back finally looking up from his white loose tee with all the offensive words written all over it in cursive black letters, "but in England you only have to be eighteen to go clubbing, so I simply forgot."

"Then I guess I have to leave you behind," shocked Kibum widened his eyes regretting so badly, that he for a short second had had the decency to forgive the other for wearing something as horrible as flannel.

The tension grew between the two of them. Neither of them spoke, while they kept eye contact  right until the older started laughing loudly, clutching his stomach.

 "You should see your face!" he close to hollered in between huge gasps for air, and if he continued like that tears would probably be streaming down his cheeks any second, "I'm just messing with you! Stop being so serious all the time!"

Gaping Key slapped the older's firm biceps, revealing how he most likely worked out on a regular basis, but he should probably have figured with how toned his abs seemed through that white v-neck t-shirt, he had worn the first time, they had met.

"I think I might actually hate you," the blonde snickered, slowly gaining his usual confidence back. He straightened his back, flipped his fringe away from his face, popped his hip out to the side and rested his hand on it, ending up in a more than familiar pose.

"You do not," he mused back, as he got his phone out from the pocket of his dark denim shorts, tapping the screen in an impatiently manner every teenager in the world knew of. Just as he glued the Smartphone to the right side of his head, he continued, "Give me a second and I'll get us in."

Fixated on not eavesdropping on the conversation Jonghyun was about to have, Key openly stared at the other's simple navy blue shirt, he had been wearing all day. Afraid he might get caught looking, he let his eyes travel downwards to the leather flip flops he was wearing. As it was no design Kibum was familiar with, he figured it was a cheap knock off from a market, which he surprisingly was okay with. The sandals somehow fitted the older's style, and even he had to admit that was the most important. One should never wear J. Crew and Marc Jacobs together, if the color palette did not go hand in hand.

"-I definitely did not mean 'not legal' in that sense," small snippets of the exchange between the two siblings was hard to overhear no matter how hard he tried, and as hard as it was, he could not help but smirk a bit at that comment. At least he wouldn't have to worry about the other boy's preferences, if anything ever was to happen.

Jonghyun swiftly peeked at Key for a short second, but nonetheless eye contact was made, and those dark brown deep eyes caught the younger off surprise. It felt as if he had been punched in the stomach, gasping for air was suddenly the only solution to surviving.

"We'll wait here then," the brunette announced with a small grin plastered on his stupid, yet beautiful face, before he hung up and gracefully put the phone back into the pocket, where he had taken it from a few minutes ago; a skill Kibum had difficulty mastering in his skinny jeans as proven at the airport, where they first met, "my sister will be here in a minute."

Nodding slowly the blonde found himself listening to the loud music, which escaped the club every time someone went in or out the door, ignoring the fact, he suddenly felt like, Jonghyun had found them a babysitter for the evening.

"You should think America would be better at keeping up with the current music trends than Korea," the brunette suddenly exclaimed, as LMFAO's 'Party Rock Anthem' blasted out through the closed doors, "this song was released in 2011. It has been 3 years, and I admit I enjoyed it back, when it came out - it's the perfect party song - but some of the new music is just as good!"

Surprised by the older's rant the blonde bit his lower lip from keeping himself from laughing. The headphones Jonghyun was wearing every time they met had somehow given away that he was a music enthusiast, but he would never have guessed he was just as absorbed into the musical world, as he himself was in the fashion one.

Deciding against uttering the snarky comment on top of his tongue, Kibum smirked slightly while watching the small queue for entering the club move slightly, as a few more people was let in: "You're really-"

"JONGHYUN! OVER HERE!" A girl's voice screamed in Korean over the loud music to make sure, she was heard by Jonghyun, who noticed her right away. She was quite hard to miss with her flailing arms and her half-drunken walk on her way to them.

The brunette took Kibum's wrist to make him follow him, as he leaned down to whisper in the younger's ear: "I'm really - what? Handsome? Attractive? To die for?"

"Full of yourself?" Kibum smiled, feeling the other's fingers touch his skin made small butterflies come to live in his abdomen. He liked this. He liked the teasing, the flirting - if that was what they were doing - the feeling of at least a friendship blooming. The feeling that he might not get to feel as alone, as he thought he would for the next year.

The butterflies were gone as soon, as Jonghyun let go of his wrist, and he sighed loudly not caring if anyone noticed.

"Noona, why are you already this drunk?" The older asked his sister who grinned widely at them. She was barely wearing anything with her short ripped denim shorts and a black loose tank top, but she didn't seem to mind, as she was getting the exact amount of attention from all the guys around as she wanted.

"He's here - my crush. You know the guy I talked to you about over the phone? The really handsome cute one? Not the surfer - the other one. He's here! And he bought me a drink - or maybe two - I'm not sure - but I think he likes me - and I like him, and everything is just so perfect right now!" Barely breathing between every sentence, she gasped for air when done, while guiding them inside the club after waving at the guards at the entrance telling them, that they were with her.

"For someone drunk she speaks pretty clearly," Kibum whispered to Jonghyun, who walked beside him just before they got consumed by the even louder music inside.

Party music was blasting through the speakers threatening to burst ones eardrums, disco lights was spinning around so quickly making anyone who stared at it for too long dizzy, the dance floor was so full the floor most likely would collapse underneath them if one more person stepped out on it, but most importantly - everyone was drunk and having fun - not worrying about what tomorrow might bring. Just like how Kibum loved it.

"And quite a lot!" Jonghyun almost yelled into his ear making sure he could hear him over the music. Kibum just smiled in return, as they were lead to the table, where Sodam and her friends were seated with all kinds of alcohol scattered, so they had a few to choose from.

The brunette held up some kind of alcohol in front of the younger, which he had never even heard of, offering him a glass. He nodded eagerly excited for soon being drunk, dancing and having the night of his life.

None of them spoke as the music was too loud, and they wouldn't be able to hear what the other said anyway, but it felt so awkward just sitting there besides each other not muttering a word. Sodam had finally gotten the nerve to go over to the cute guy to talk to him and was now busy sitting on his lap, his face.

They didn't really talk to her friends, as they didn't know them that well, and they didn't feel like interrupting their conversations. Which, of course, left them all alone, and the alcohol did not have the effect they were hoping for.

Jonghyun suddenly pulled his phone up from his pocket leaving Kibum completely isolated from everyone. He could text Evan or Alicia, but in the end that would be too expensive for both parts, and he knew no one here in LA, he could text other than the person next to him, and he didn't even have his number yet.

Abruptly the older shoved his phone into his face blinding him for a short second, as he got used to the different lightning.

 

I'm sorry, but this is the best way to communicate here. But would you like to dance? - Jonghyun

 

Grinning to himself Kibum deleted the message, while pushing his fringe away from his face, so he could write down a reply.

 

Sorry, I can't. The alcohol is not working properly. - Kibum

 

Waiting for Jonghyun to read the text, he took another sip of the rum and coke, he had ordered not that long ago. It was more coke than rum though. The older stared up at him, then at the drink in front of him, and he shrugged playfully taking one more sip, before sitting it down on the table.

 

What a poor excuse! Your mom told me all about, how much you love to dance, before you got home earlier! - Jonghyun.

 

A small smirk was playing on top of the brunettes lips, as he had caught the younger's lie, and he didn't even know it. Just one more reason, why he really hated being late - his mom blabbers. If blabbering was an Olympic discipline his mom would with no doubt win.  

 

She did not! - Kibum.

 

Flabbergasted the blonde had no idea what to say even though, he was aware that the other was telling the truth. Of course his mom had told him that. But what else would she had said? Hopefully she hadn't told him any embarrassing stories. Not when he finally found someone he was at least a bit interested in.

 

Yeah, she-

 

Before Jonghyun even had the chance to come up with a proper reply, Kibum took the phone from his loose grip and deleted the few words, he had written just to write his own message.

 

What else did she say? - Kibum.

 

Wiggling his eyebrows the brunette shaked his finger in front of his face in a teasing manner.

 

If you dance with me, I'll tell you. - Jonghyun.

 

Staring in disbelief at him, Kibum decided he had to be completely mental to even consider agreeing to this. It was probably a dumb idea dancing with the other; what if he actually fell in love with him? The butterflies from a single touch should be indicating this was going somewhere, it shouldn't. He was so split. He was only staying here a year, and then they would go their separate ways once again, but wasn't he allowed some fun?

 

Fine. - Kibum.

 

Sighing he stood up moving towards the dance floor with Jonghyun behind him following like a lost puppy. Just as they got there Shake it Off by Taylor Swift started blasting, and they stared at each other for a few seconds, before they started laughing so hard, it felt like their lungs would burst. They weren't exactly sure, what was so funny, but they couldn't help it. Also laughing together would probably make them even closer than before.

As the gentleman Jonghyun was, he bowed over exaggerated for him, before offering him his hand. Kibum accepted it, and the brunette spun him around a few times, before the younger started to shake his hips in time with the music.

Slowly it turned into the most ridiculous dance competition between the two of them with the chicken dance, twerking and pirouettes.

The alcohol had found its way into their veins, and they laughed about nothing and everything. It felt so good to be alive, and Kibum had never been happier about making a new friend.

This was definitely the beginning of something - not just the hangover he would be feeling tomorrow - but something deep and probably meaningful; he just had to figure out what. 

 

- Written by mapihypermonkey